• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 13 - Sparty ain't worried 'bout no clock

george_us

UGA could get one with HC experience but they want Smart. Don't forget a lot of other programs have tried to hire him and he turned them down. It's not like this is his first opportunity.

Jim Donnan was our coach before and while he recruited well, he couldn't win any of the big games. We were a 8, 9, and maybe one time 10 win team. He was fired because he couldn't beat any of the rivals consistently: Florida, Auburn, or Tech. Tech had a 3-4 game winning streak going on him.

So Richt had a lot of talent to work with when he came in, which helped him win so quickly. But it's even better now. Smart is walking in to a pretty full cupboard. Need a good OC hire and I'll feel pretty great about all this. Still upset about how things went down with Richt, but whoever is the head coach will have my support until he isn't.
Ahh gotcha. So Georgia wasn't as down as I was thinking then. Hope it works out for you Georgia fans though.

Bowser

Don't you guys play 2 FCS schools again next year?

Yes, but we also play UGa in Atlanta and at Illinois. Also get FSU on the road next season.

For UNC...

There were no avaliable G5 schools from MAC, American, or MWC? And the 2 FCS thing isn't even all of it. Even though no matter the excuse should end it there...

The other situation is the fact that whatever the division UNC is in sucks absolute donkey dick.

Oh, you mean the division that went 10-4 against the other division? The division where the last place team beat Florida State? Please.

Side bar, but I find people discussing Ohio State for the playoffs just as laughable. Everyone wants to say they could get in, but no one points out their SOS being 58 (vs UNC at 62)? Or that their SOR is currently 9 while UNC's is 11 and would undoubtedly improve if we beat Clemson?

IMO OSU has zero chance at the playoffs. A one-loss Clemson team has a better claim to the playoffs than OSU would.

Draxal

Maybe with incentives? But base appeared to be 1.2.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...he_accepted_central_florida_offer_report.html

Edit: According to 9.95, he was offered a higher salary at UCF, but asked for a bit lower to help out the assistant coach pool.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/frost-was-offered-1-8-2-0-million-corrected.97290/

This is a fan bbs, but they're usually more in tune with what's going on than in the boards. The rutgers rivals fan board had a leak with Hermann and Flood gone earlier than the reporters.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/frost-was-offered-1-8-2-0-million-corrected.97290/

This is a fan bbs, but they're usually more in tune with what's going on than in the boards. The rutgers rivals fan board had a leak with Hermann and Flood gone earlier than the reporters.
Hm who knows. Well we'll know the UCF side of it tomorrow at least. I would hope we didn't agree to a two year deal. One of the criteria we were looking for was a long term commitment. Even in reality if it didn't happen because he bolted in 3 years, you would never want a 2 year contract term up front. 4-5 would have to be minimum.

Oh, you mean the division that went 10-4 against the other division? The division where the last place team beat Florida State? Please.
KdE5qqr.jpg

swpG7tt.jpg

Sorry brah, that's hot garbage.

Valid points. I just think it's a bit disingenuous to say UNC scheduled two FCS teams when the only reason that quirk happened this year is we've had multiple P5 teams back out after agreeing to home-and-home series with us (Ohio State as mentioned, Tennessee also did this to us a few years back: http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/14959/tennessee-looking-to-drop-unc-from-football-schedule/).

Are you telling me UNC's resume would be materially different if, say, we had been able to play Louisiana Lafayette or New Mexico State instead of one of the FCS teams? I feel like it's a straw man argument to artificially depress Carolina's ranking because people want to argue that "their eyes" say Ohio State or Notre Dame or whoever is better because they're "traditional powers."

The fact of the matter is, if we happen to pull off the upset on Saturday night, we'll be a team that has won 12 straight games, beaten the #1 team in the country, and whose only loss was the first game of the season by 4 points in which we had THREE red zone turnovers. You'd have to be willfully ignorant at that point to say we are not playing like one of the best teams in the country.

Anyways, it's clear we're not gonna convince each other, so all we can do is wait for the games to play out and see what happens. Good luck vs. Florida (not that y'all need it).

And they'll have ONE quality win. Unless they beat Clemson by more than 2 TD's and Stanford scrapes by USC, Stanford's in over UNC. It doesn't matter why their schedule is so putrid, it's that it is. The ACC has been a 2 team conference for quite a while and it's no different this year from a national perspective.

The Stanford/USC game ~could EASILY be close though. Stanford hasn't played that well for quite a while.. Over a month now (probably the Washington game, not counting Colorado). But I do think it will take a weak win or a loss by Stanford for UNC to make the CFP.

I also agree with the fact that unless Clemson gets MURDERED by UNC, a one loss Clemson SHOULD be in the CFP over Ohio State. Ohio State played ONE good game this year against 15th ranked Michigan vs two top 10 wins for Clemson (ND, Florida State). SOS for Clemson is 36th vs Ohio State's 58th and it's just going to get higher even with a loss to UNC.

Of course, all of this is busy talk as Clemson and Alabama are pretty darn likely to win this weekend IMO.

andycapps

Ahh gotcha. So Georgia wasn't as down as I was thinking then. Hope it works out for you Georgia fans though.

For us it felt pretty down because you'd have those moments of playing great, and then just not winning any of the big games. Richt ended up becoming more like that in later years, but never to the extent that Donnan lost them.

Did some more research on him.. Donnan went 40-19 at UGA. 5-6, 10-2, 9-3, 8-4, and 8-4. Fired in 2000 against the wishes of Vince Dooley due to dropping 3 in a row against Tech, and not keeping pace with Florida and Tennessee. They were looking for a guy to return them to the greatness with Dooley, and he didn't get them there. Donnan followed Ray Goff, who was an absolutely horrible hire of a Georgia guy with no head coaching experience, but he was a guy that was not their first choice. I believe Danny Sheridan was the first choice, but the deal fell through at the last minute.

Alabama is nearly guaranteed to win, but I think UNC has a real shot at beating Clemson.

No way, this is Clemson's year.

UNC is good, UGA opens up against them next year and it's looking scarier now than it did when they scheduled it. I will say that UNC hasn't really played anyone. Their SOS is worse than tMCU. Their sole loss is a really bad one, to Sakerlina.

I'm loving this unc being the trendy pick stuff!

There's no way that Clemson Clempsons this.

So I was curious about Tyson Helton, the guy that may get the OC job with Smart. OC/QB coach at Western Kentucky. They run some kind of hybrid pro-style/spread scheme.

They're #4 in the country in scoring offense, #6 in passing offense, #84 in rushing offense which isn't good to me, #10 in total offense. At least he's putting up good stats there, and I'm assuming that he could find a QB on the team to be the guy. If Eason were to leave, then he'd probably tab Brice Ramsey (should have been QB this year) as his guy, or maybe Faton Bauta.

Limedust

I'll be annoyed if Kirby doesn't stay and coach the playoffs, assuming we beat Florida. Other than that, December is pretty much a month of downtime, and he'd have plenty of time to work on putting together his staff. Not so worried about that.

Agreed.

I will add that Football Scoop sounds like they're just making shit up, as they frequently do, and I will be heavily surprised if Pruitt returns to Bama in place of Smart. I fully expect that Tucker is being prepared / promoted to DC if Smart is leaving.

andycapps

Agreed.

I will add that Football Scoop sounds like they're just making shit up, as they frequently do, and I will be heavily surprised if Pruitt returns to Bama in place of Smart. I fully expect that Tucker is being prepared / promoted to DC if Smart is leaving.

I thought Football Scoop was considered to be pretty reliable on this stuff?

Eason is at UF now for his official visit. His family is in Athens at the same time, FWIW.

Top Bottom