• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 13 - Sparty ain't worried 'bout no clock

andycapps

Yeah you'd think Georgia would have learned the lesson Florida learned.

Muschamp had other problems. There wasn't much to work with, for one, when he got there. He couldn't or didn't recruit good offensive players. He never had a coherent offensive philosophy.

Richt was a coordinator hire as well. Did pretty well.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It still sucks though. I'm sure he will be fine.. But it's still an annoyance.
If Kiffin leaves as well it will be tough as he'd have to replace both coordinators, but he's replaced offensive coordinators and position coaches in one year many times before. This time it's just on the defense.

andycapps

If Kiffin leaves as well it will be tough as he'd have to replace both coordinators, but he's replaced offensive coordinators and position coaches in one year many times before. This time it's just on the defense.
I'm assuming Kiffin will wait another year for better jobs to open up and another year of solid numbers. I agree that Bama will be fine. What may hurt them is in the playoffs with all these distractions in the coaching staff.

From what I hear, losing Cochran may hurt Saban more than all the others.

mre

I'm assuming Kiffin will wait another year for better jobs to open up and another year of solid numbers. I agree that Bama will be fine. What may hurt them is in the playoffs with all these distractions in the coaching staff.
I'll be annoyed if Kirby doesn't stay and coach the playoffs, assuming we beat Florida. Other than that, December is pretty much a month of downtime, and he'd have plenty of time to work on putting together his staff. Not so worried about that.

Yeah I'm sure he will be fine.. But this will be annoying going into the Playoffs.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'll be annoyed if Kirby doesn't stay and coach the playoffs, assuming we beat Florida. Other than that, December is pretty much a month of downtime, and he'd have plenty of time to work on putting together his staff. Not so worried about that.

No way would he leave before the playoffs. I can't imagine.

george_us

Muschamp had other problems. There wasn't much to work with, for one, when he got there. He couldn't or didn't recruit good offensive players. He never had a coherent offensive philosophy.

Richt was a coordinator hire as well. Did pretty well.
Right but wasn't Georgia pretty down at the time Richt took the job? I can't remember. You'd just think a program like Georgia could get a coach with proven HC experience.

In other news, Chris Ash is apparently Syracuse's next HC. Going to miss him. The job he did with our dumpster fire of a defense is nothing short of remarkable.

Ryuuroden

Yeah I'm sure he will be fine.. But this will be annoying going into the Playoffs.

Herman did both the Houston job and the Buckeyes title run last year at the same time. It's entirely doable. Look at the team Herman built in one year at Houston even while doing it only part time in December and early January.

Is it?

How can you tell that he had much to do with Oregon's recent success when the Oregon system is so deeply tied to Kelly and Helfrich?

He seems largely unproven.

I mean, he's been there 7 years in various capacities. It's a bit of a risk for sure (what hire isn't). But he's played for and coached under some legends over the years and seems to have the admiration of players and coaches he's worked with given the comments from around the country.

We needed a change of pace from the GOL style - even given as much as he did for and built the program. He answers that need quite well. We also know he picked us over a few P5 jobs - well at least one publicly known. So it's not like we settled for some bum off the street.

andycapps

Undoubtedly he'd be splitting time if he stays through the playoffs. There's a lot of work to do recruiting wise, so I'm not sure if he'd stay or not.

Right but wasn't Georgia pretty down at the time Richt took the job? I can't remember. You'd just think a program like Georgia could get a coach with proven HC experience.

In other news, Chris Ash is apparently Syracuse's next HC. Going to miss him. The job he did with our dumpster fire of a defense is nothing short of remarkable.
UGA could get one with HC experience but they want Smart. Don't forget a lot of other programs have tried to hire him and he turned them down. It's not like this is his first opportunity.

Jim Donnan was our coach before and while he recruited well, he couldn't win any of the big games. We were a 8, 9, and maybe one time 10 win team. He was fired because he couldn't beat any of the rivals consistently: Florida, Auburn, or Tech. Tech had a 3-4 game winning streak going on him.

So Richt had a lot of talent to work with when he came in, which helped him win so quickly. But it's even better now. Smart is walking in to a pretty full cupboard. Need a good OC hire and I'll feel pretty great about all this. Still upset about how things went down with Richt, but whoever is the head coach will have my support until he isn't.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, I'm more worried about distractions or just straight up not being there for potential playoff games, than any recruiting switching shenanigans. Smart doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to sway committed players. Uncommitted's are open game enough, but checking 247sports (can't trust how accurate their info is), Kirby isn't lead on alot of recruits, but figure he'd have a hand in alot. Cristobal would probably be the one to hurt more if/when he goes. His name's on alot of players, but so is Mel's and Tosh's.

The ones I mostly want to keep, are Mel, Tosh, and Bo Davis (a must). Cristobal looks to be the real deal in recruiting, but I've not enjoyed his offensive line output. Even Stoutland got better production, though maybe that's just from using Pendry's leftover's. Man, I miss Coach Pendry.

I've heard Napier's name around for awhile, and yeah, he had Amari Cooper, who was pretty much ready right out of high school. If he's the real deal, then maybe Lane needs to be persuaded to look around, and promote him.

Not sure I understand Scott Cochran moving on, as he's pretty well loved here, and it's not for promotion. Guess they're friends, cause Cochran's not from Georgia, he's a New Orlean's native.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I mean, he's been there 7 years in various capacities. It's a bit of a risk for sure (what hire isn't). But he's played for and coached under some legends over the years and seems to have the admiration of players and coaches he's worked with given the comments from around the country.

We needed a chance of pace from the GOL style - even given as much as he did for and built the program. He answers that need quite well. We also know he picked us over a few P5 jobs - well at least one publicly known. So it's not like we settled for some bum off the street.

I would be stoked if I were a Citronauter at the prospect of a HUNH type offense. And obviously UCF needs to be risky to get out of their hole.

I am just questioning everyone else saying that UCF did so good. Maybe maybe not, but he is pretty low on the list of people likely to be responsible for Oregon's recent successes.

Do Georgia fans want Muschamp? I saw he was rumored to be a possibility at DC for some reason at Georgia.

I would be stoked if I were a Citronauter at the prospect of a HUNH type offense. And obviously UCF needs to be risky to get out of their hole.

I am just questioning everyone else saying that UCF did so good. Maybe maybe not, but he is pretty low on the list of people likely to be responsible for Oregon's recent successes.

Meh, don't know. I was unsure at first simply because he wasn't on my radar and I knew nothing about him. But I'm sure people around the country that know him and have seen him work have a reason to be excited. I'm also sure you don't hang around a place like Oregon for 7 years if you're not doing something right and useful.

Fuck that... Dantonio got robbed..
Sure, you can make an argument for Dantonio for B1G Coach of the Year, but losing to Ferentz is not getting robbed. Even with the light schedule, Iowa was forecast to finish around .500 and didn't even get any poll votes in either the AP or Coaches' polls until week 3. Ferentz deserves it if for nothing else than the theatrics he forced Cowherd and Finebaum into.

MIMIC

Banned
Would certainly blow apart the notion that conference championships matter and early losses don't.

Though I think it's fairly obvious at this point that the committee is just going to do whatever the hell it feels like at the end of the day.

Don't get me wrong: those two things are very true (early losses being essentially irrelevant and conference titles being important to an extent), but I think a lot of other factors come into play when more than 1 team has an argument for an open spot.

Last year, the one thing that I thought was fairly obvious from the start was that early losses don't matter. They've NEVER mattered. EVER. Which is why I was so surprised at how often Virgina Tech was being brought up. For all intents and purposes, it's not about who you lose to, but when you lose. Everything in the history of forever has always been about "primacy and recency" (but mostly recency in this case).

Now, going by what we saw last year, 3 teams had an argument for the last spot: TCU, Baylor, and Ohio State. And what was the most recent thing they did?

1. TCU: destroyed an unranked nobody (Iowa State)
2. Baylor: beat No. 9 Kansas State
3. Ohio State: obliterated No. 13 Wisconsin

Going by this, TCU is already out because they didn't beat a ranked team. So it came down to Ohio State and Baylor. The teams they beat were separated by 4 ranking places, so scoreline was the tiebreaker, IMO. Now, had the scorelines been switched, I am also positive that the 4th spot would have gone to Baylor.

Conference championship status is only going to carry so much weight. If Florida beats Alabama, no way is the 4th spot going to Florida. Same goes for the PAC 12. If USC beats Standford and an open spot becomes available, no way is the 4th spot going to USC. The committee makes the assumption that the conference champ is already a highly-ranked team (like in the Michigan State-Iowa situation). So it can only help you if you're in a position to BE helped.

Which makes UNC's situation interesting. They are sitting at No. 10 right now. Is this a good enough position for a conference title to help them? Maybe. Maybe not. I had UNC at No. 9 yesterday....and getting the 4th spot should they upset Clemson. The committee has them at No. 10. Makes it slightly more difficult; the further away you are from the 4th spot, the more impressive your win has to be.

The door is definitely open for UNC though.

Fake edit:
I'm just quickly trying to find a comparable scenario: the OSU-MSU game from 2013. OSU was ranked 2nd and MSU was ranked 10th. MSU jumped 6 spots to 4th after they won.

With this info, I think UNC has a very good chance of getting that 4th spot should they upset Clemson. There has been plenty of chatter that they would get the spot, AND there is similar precedent for that kind of jump in the polls. I'm gonna go ahead and say that if they win, they're in.

EDIT: But if Stanford also wins....

Bowser

If UNC beats Clemson and Stanford loses to USC, UNC is a lock for the playoff. Stanford is UNC's main competition, not OSU. If both Stanford and UNC win, then Stanford will leapfrog and grab that 4th spot (and while I won't be happy, I won't argue it either).

UNC's current ranking is meaningless. The committee always stresses that they re-evaluate week to week with little regard for the prior week's rankings.

Bowser

If UNC and Stanford both win, it will be interesting to see who gets in. The committee would actually have a tough decision.

Quoted me before my edit, but Stanford would get the nod IMO.

It'd be easy for me if I were on the committee. 2 FCS schools? GTFO.

The 2 FCS school thing is dumb. There's no difference between most FCS schools and someone from, say, the Sun Belt:

David Hale ✔ @DavidHaleESPN
vs. winning P5 teams this year:
FCS: 1-29, 36.1 pt margin
SunBelt: 0-15, 42.8
MAC: 1-15, 26.6
CUSA: 0-14, 30.0

Interestingly enough, we were supposed to play Ohio State this year before it got moved it to 2017 (and eventually called off the whole series). Only reason why we had to scramble and ended up with a 2nd FCS team on our schedule: http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/12/college_football_playoff_ranki_7.html

If UNC and Stanford both win, it will be interesting to see who gets in. The committee would actually have a tough decision.

No they don't. It's Stanford easily..

Even if they beat Clemson.. the USCe (just for you Cyan) kills them. Stanford loses to a resurgent Oregon and Northwestern (with 10 wins)

And Stanford has the tougher schedule between the two.

No reasonable standard in picking UNC over Stanford.

If Stanford wins and if Clemson loses.. Stanford is in.

Lunar15

They say the fastest way to an 8 team playoff is if the SEC is left out of the playoffs. That said, go gata

I disagree. SEC sure gets overrated sometimes, but B1G's got the TV pull:

1. Michigan State-Ohio State (7.0 rating), 3:30 p.m. ABC, Nov. 21
2. Michigan-Ohio State (6.8), Noon, ABC, Nov. 28
3. Ohio State-Virginia Tech (6.6), 8 p.m., ESPN Sept. 7
4. LSU-Alabama (6.3), 8 p.m., CBS Nov. 7
5. Florida State-Clemson (5.5), 3:30 p.m., ABC Nov. 7
6. Michigan State-Michigan (5.1), 3:30 p.m., ESPN Oct. 17
7. Oregon-Michigan State (5.0), 8 p.m., ABC Sept. 12
8. Notre Dame-Clemson (4.8), 8 p.m., ABC Oct. 3

Bowser

Anyway, I'll be pulling hard for the Trojans while watching my Heels hopefully upset Clemson live (tix were so expensive, but who knows when UNC football will be back to these heights...gotta take advantage when possible).

mre

Quoted me before my edit, but Stanford would get the nod IMO.

The 2 FCS school thing is dumb. There's no difference between most FCS schools and someone from, say, the Sun Belt.

Interestingly enough, we were supposed to play Ohio State this year before they moved it to 2017 (and eventually called off the whole series). Only reason why we had to scramble and ended up with a 2nd FCS team on our schedule: http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/12/college_football_playoff_ranki_7.html
That's just ridiculous. Almost every single Sun Belt team played a FCS school (but only 1 per school), and most not only won, but won convincingly in blow outs. The only Sun Belt team to lose to a FCS team was Georgia State.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400787420
http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400787412
http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400787441
http://espn.go.com/college-football/game?gameId=400787446 <------- only loss
http://espn.go.com/college-football/game?gameId=400787414
http://espn.go.com/college-football/game?gameId=400787416
http://espn.go.com/college-football/game?gameId=400787442
http://espn.go.com/college-football/game?gameId=400787418
http://espn.go.com/college-football/game?gameId=400787419
http://espn.go.com/college-football/game?gameId=400787417

Hell, a Sun Belt team even beat the Citadel.

Bowser

As the tweet I put in that post shows, all of these teams suck vs good P5 teams:

David Hale &#10004; @DavidHaleESPN

mre

As the tweet I put in that post shows, all of these teams suck vs good P5 teams:

Except there is a difference, because Sun Belt teams generally kicked the shit out of FCS teams when they played.

Karl2177

RIP Kansas. Chieck Diallo rose from the sins of the football team.

Balphon

Still cougin' it even in a winning year.

mre

Is this not the Citadel's win over SCAR? Edit: looks like the ol' statistics needs to be updated to a 2 -- xx for the FCS teams! Who still got their shit pushed in by Sun Belt schools.

Draxal

Oh winning P5 teams. Can't blame Kansas then.

Bowser

Except there is a difference, because Sun Belt teams generally kicked the shit out of FCS teams when they played.

I'm not sure if you don't understand what I posted or willfully ignoring it. Just because a Sun Belt (or MAC or C-USA) team generally kicks the shit out of FCS teams doesn't mean they wouldn't still get their shit pushed in by a good P5 team.

Draxal

Is this not the Citadel's win over SCAR? Edit: looks like the ol' statistics needs to be updated to a 2 -- xx for the FCS teams! Who still got their shit pushed in by Sun Belt schools.

Nah, cuz otherwise Kansas really fucks everthing up even more.

vkKGaES.gif

Draconian

Yeah, I'm more worried about distractions or just straight up not being there for potential playoff games, than any recruiting switching shenanigans. Smart doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to sway committed players. Uncommitted's are open game enough, but checking 247sports (can't trust how accurate their info is), Kirby isn't lead on alot of recruits, but figure he'd have a hand in alot. Cristobal would probably be the one to hurt more if/when he goes. His name's on alot of players, but so is Mel's and Tosh's.

The ones I mostly want to keep, are Mel, Tosh, and Bo Davis (a must). Cristobal looks to be the real deal in recruiting, but I've not enjoyed his offensive line output. Even Stoutland got better production, though maybe that's just from using Pendry's leftover's. Man, I miss Coach Pendry.

I've heard Napier's name around for awhile, and yeah, he had Amari Cooper, who was pretty much ready right out of high school. If he's the real deal, then maybe Lane needs to be persuaded to look around, and promote him.

Not sure I understand Scott Cochran moving on, as he's pretty well loved here, and it's not for promotion. Guess they're friends, cause Cochran's not from Georgia, he's a New Orlean's native.

Cristobal's a great recruiter, but I don't think he's that good a coach. The offensive line has been iffy this season, but has improved in recent weeks. The amount of negative plays in the first half of the season was insane though.

mre

I'm not sure if you don't understand what I posted or willfully ignoring it. Just because a Sun Belt (or MAC or C-USA) team generally kicks the shit out of FCS teams doesn't mean they wouldn't still get their shit pushed in by a good P5 team.
My point is that there is a difference between Sun Belt and FCS schools, from the amount of scholarship athletes on each team to the quality of athlete on each team and everything in between. Which is why schools should be shunned for scheduling any FCS school, much less two. And, yes, Bama played Charleston Southern, which I hate. I think the records of the G5 conferences and FCS schools against "winning" P5 teams is irrelevant when there are factual differences between the divisions which put FCS schools at a distinct disadvantage to ANY FBS school.

Bowser

My point is that there is a difference between Sun Belt and FCS schools, from the amount of scholarship athletes on each team to the quality of athlete on each team and everything in between. Which is why schools should be shunned for scheduling any FCS school, much less two. And, yes, Bama played Charleston Southern, which I hate. I think the records of the G5 conferences and FCS schools against "winning" P5 teams is irrelevant when there are factual differences between the divisions which put FCS schools at a distinct disadvantage to ANY FBS school.

Valid points. I just think it's a bit disingenuous to say UNC scheduled two FCS teams when the only reason that quirk happened this year is we've had multiple P5 teams back out after agreeing to home-and-home series with us (Ohio State as mentioned, Tennessee also did this to us a few years back: http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/14959/tennessee-looking-to-drop-unc-from-football-schedule/).

Are you telling me UNC's resume would be materially different if, say, we had been able to play Louisiana Lafayette or New Mexico State instead of one of the FCS teams? I feel like it's a straw man argument to artificially depress Carolina's ranking because people want to argue that "their eyes" say Ohio State or Notre Dame or whoever is better because they're "traditional powers."

The fact of the matter is, if we happen to pull off the upset on Saturday night, we'll be a team that has won 12 straight games, beaten the #1 team in the country, and whose only loss was the first game of the season by 4 points in which we had THREE red zone turnovers. You'd have to be willfully ignorant at that point to say we are not playing like one of the best teams in the country.

Anyways, it's clear we're not gonna convince each other, so all we can do is wait for the games to play out and see what happens. Good luck vs. Florida (not that y'all need it).

Draxal

Valid points. I just think it's a bit disingenuous to say UNC scheduled two FCS teams when the only reason that quirk happened this year is we've had multiple P5 teams back out after agreeing to home-and-home series with us (Ohio State as mentioned, Tennessee also did this to us a few years back: http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/14959/tennessee-looking-to-drop-unc-from-football-schedule/).

Are you telling me UNC's resume would be materially different if, say, we had been able to play Louisiana Lafayette or New Mexico State instead of one of the FCS teams? I feel like it's a straw man argument to artificially depress Carolina's ranking because people want to argue that "their eyes" say Ohio State or Notre Dame or whoever is better because they're "traditional powers."

The fact of the matter is, if we happen to pull off the upset on Saturday night, we'll be a team that has won 12 straight games, beaten the #1 team in the country, and whose only loss was the first game of the season by 4 points in which we had THREE red zone turnovers. You'd have to be willfully ignorant at that point to say we are not playing like one of the best teams in the country.

Anyways, it's clear we're not gonna convince each other, so all we can do is wait for the games to play out and see what happens. Good luck vs. Florida (not that y'all need it).

Just letting you know he's a Wolfpack alum so seeing you post makes him froth at the mouth.

Did they announce the terms of Frost's deal. I saw Syracuse fans saying it was a 3 year deal which is kinda insane.
We should get the UCF contract tomorrow. Syracuse, showing their commitment to big time football, apparently offered him 1.2 million per. If that's the case, I wouldn't be shocked if he did demand a shorter contract term.

I'd hope our president and new AD would have been smart enough to offer a competitive contract allowing at least a 4-5 year term.

For UNC...

There were no avaliable G5 schools from MAC, American, or MWC? And the 2 FCS thing isn't even all of it. Even though no matter the excuse should end it there...

The other situation is the fact that whatever the division UNC is in sucks absolute donkey dick.

Draxal

We should get the UCF contract tomorrow. Syracuse, showing their commitment to big time football, apparently offered him 1.2 million per. If that's the case, I wouldn't be shocked if he did demand a shorter contract term.

I'd hope our president and new AD would have been smart enough to offer a competitive contract allowing at least a 4-5 year term.

For UNC...

There were no avaliable G5 schools from MAC, American, or MWC? And the 2 FCS thing isn't even all of it. Even though no matter the excuse should end it there...

The other situation is the fact that whatever the division UNC is in sucks absolute donkey dick.

They offered 1.8 apparently, I really doubt they offered 1.2

Top Bottom