• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Wise, god of game soundtracks, returns to the world of men (new samples inside)

Magnus

I've decided to go in blind, and not listen to tracks ahead of experiencing them in the game. Just bought it this weekend.

Played the first 'world' last night - ...I'm not hearing the magnificence. Nothing that holds a candle to many of the previous games (having only played DKC 1-3, not Returns).

I'll give it a better listen tonight.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I've decided to go in blind, and not listen to tracks ahead of experiencing them in the game. Just bought it this weekend.

Played the first 'world' last night - ...I'm not hearing the magnificence. Nothing that holds a candle to many of the previous games (having only played DKC 1-3, not Returns).

The absolutely amazing songs start coming in during world 2. I think World 1 is great, but it is more "standard" for lack of a better word.

jdkluv

Unrelated to DKCTF, but still relevant to Wise. So a new trailer dropped for Tengami, which is also having its score done by David Wise. Now is it just me, or does that music sound suspiciously like Forest Interlude?

I've been listening to the recently released Tengami soundtrack. Some of these songs were indeed re-done for the Tropical Freeze soundtrack (or re-done from Tropical Freeze for the Tengami soundtrack).

phanphare

Banned

wait until world 2 and 3

and also you should be unlocking the secret levels ;)

wrowa

You definitely need to tinker with the sound options, though. The default options have the background music way so low that it's hard to appreciate the OST.

Lunar15

Wow, thats amazing! Nice find!

World 1 has the weakest tracks. Best one is Busted Bayou.

Not every track in the game is a winner, but man, when they're good, they're really good.

wmlk

Overall, the game soundtrack doesn't work as well outside the game context as previous DKC games. I keep harking to Stickerbrush Symphony, Forest Interlude, and Aquatic Ambience (although the new rendition is good) but those songs are just a joy listen to during the game as well as outside the game.

I expected more stuff like Seashore War, basically.

I've been listening to the recently released Tengami soundtrack. Some of these songs were indeed re-done for the Tropical Freeze soundtrack (or re-done from Tropical Freeze for the Tengami soundtrack).
I don't think anything has been re-done, if anything its just similarities in Wise's work being present.
That said one of them is quite like an alternative take on Forest Interlude which is pleasing to my ears.
If some people are still hung up on not getting enough Wise atmosphere from Tropical Freeze and what not then you should really give the Tengami soundtrack a listen.

World 1 has the weakest tracks. Best one is Busted Bayou.

Not every track in the game is a winner, but man, when they're good, they're really good.
I'd agree with World 1 having the weakest tracks but I feel the need to add that Trunk Twister and Underwater Mangrove Cove are pretty great alongside Busted Bayou.

Top Bottom