• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Sony, do you like Money? Then please make a WipEout VR

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sony to Thread: Um... what's a Wip3out.gif

But nah, they need to do racebox on Wip3out 2048 first.

At a certain point the problem is not insufficient FPS, but rather the disconnect between what the body percieves through different senses. Given that the aim of VR is to make it more immersive, it just makes it all the more jarring to the body's sensation that it's just staying still, even though the visual and auditory senses say otherwise.

I could be talking out of my ass though.

That's why racing games are so good for VR(or any cockpit game) . You're just supposed to be sitting anyway.

I don't know if any Sony studio that has the SCEEL style. I'll keep playing HD Fury and continue to hope for a 60FPS 2048.

Some of the staff are still with Evolution, right?

Evolution can make it.

It will be overly difficult and quite bare bones, like all of their games initially are, though.

mclem

Sony will make millions from Wipeout VR because they'll get tons of people replacing their VR headsets after spewing over the old one.

fahr

Yes, motion sickness is a thing. I tried out an oculus rift with an fps for 5 mins and I was nauseous for the next several hours.

This was a first gen oculus, I've heard the newer iterations have improved the latency so there is still hope for me to be able to enjoy this tech. But I can honestly say my first experience with VR was a negative one.

th4tguy

Maybe some people wanna pay to get motion sick and throw up? I mean it's not that different from a roller coaster. People love those.
It's completely different. It throws off your senses because your brain thinks you are moving but the rest of your body registers none. This causes a lot of confusion for your brain and body and results in disorientation and often nausea. Supposedly a high frame rate (90+) helps but I haven't seen that yet.

JoseLopez

Looking at the recent titles being added into the PS VR portfolio like Rigs and GT Sport I've come to realize that VR may have potential in breaking into the consumer market.... On that note I game that would be rad for VR is WipEout. I mean it sells itself... Cockpit view racing with VR.... Accelerating speeds and lots of tracks.

Need I say more?

Want to more convincing? Here is the game running on a Oculus DK2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvPnn-TC-B0

Who else think this is a no brainier.
Haven't most wipeout games done poorly in terms of revenue?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I would take a remake of Wipeout HD on PSVR. It would be my killer app.
If they can get it running in 3D on PS3 then im sure the PS4 has enough horsepower to make it VR compatible.

Carn82

Truth hurts...but a WipEout HD PS4 remaster wouldn't cost them a lot, would be good fanservice and could potentially sell well enough due to all those new Playstation gamers, switching from 360 ;)

Jup. I would take WipEout 2048 + the HD and Fury extensions as the base for WipeOut VR and take it from there :eek:

It might be awesome but that doesn't necessarily mean it would make them money....it's a dead franchise being resurrected for an unproven, expensive peripheral. Pretty sure they aren't going to be just printing money with that combo lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Please make this happen Sony.

Day one for me.

There are Wipeout ships in Resogun and Playroom VR. So Sony hasn't completely forgotten about it, at least. I just don't know who would develop it/port it.

This is one of those games where I think even the standard third-person view would be badass in VR, just to be enveloped in the world even if you're not actively looking around.

Wipeout in VR sounds like one of the worst ideas ever.

You sound like one of the worst ideas ever.

Wipeout couldn't be better suited for a VR experience. First person hovercraft racing in virtual reality. Fuck yes!!

If Wipeout doesn't happen on PSVR I will never buy a Sony product again!!11

On a related note: I was playing Trackmania Turbo on PC and in 1st person and on various tracks it really resembles some kind of Wipeout clone. Very weird.

Even without being a blatant diehard WipEout fan, I totally agree that it would be an excellent franchise for VR. With the music, the sleak presentation, the in-game need to be sitting down, the donning of a helmet in-game can be replicated/simulated with donning the PS VR HMD. I just truly don't understand; this would be an incredible experience, and we've already proved that with the right frame rate and responsiveness racing in VR is the best application of the technology. Speaking of which, the WipEout franchise has long been the guinea pig of new PS tech, and with such a futuristic setting you would think it would be a match made in heaven for a technology that is similarly futuristic feeling.

Sigh. In another reality, this exists and its the best game coming out for PSVR.
And unabashedly, me.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
No offense but whenever I read something from a Wipeout or F-Zero fan all I can think of is

1wVb1cB.jpg

Well, F-Zero fan here and all I'm asking for is they take F-Zero X or GX, make a level pack for it and release it full price. A few thousand buyers would probably suffice to make it a worthwhile endeavour ;).

mieumieu

I remember feeling dizzy when pulling out some crazy corner combinations in wipeout HD. I cannot fathom playing those in VR I may have to throw up...

Guys, if you sit the player back in the cockpit and then design the cockpit correctly it could create the "tunnelling" effect that's used to reduce motion sickness. Then have other machines that reduce the effect for those who don't suffer/build up a tolerance.

And if it was that bad they'd just remove the barrel roll mechanic. Then it would just be another racer. Driveclub can be just as fast at times.

Top Bottom