• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Sony, do you like Money? Then please make a WipEout VR

Darius

Banned
Evolution Studio was supposed to absorb some Studio Liverpool staff (WipeOut devs) when it was shut down a few years ago. With Evolution Studio sharing the same fate, chances of a new Wipeout from the original team is quite low.

Imagine playing Wipeout VR while stoned lol. Or Rez for that matter.
tumblr_mlml9zG2QS1sonquko1_500.gif

Dear Sony, do you like vomit? Then please, make a Wipeout VR.

Seriously, I'm terrible at Wipeout and I can just imagine all the glorious hours I'd spend huddled on the floor with migraines and nausea after careening wildly at high speeds.

Let someone else prove it's possible before Sony takes that risk.

Evolution Studio was supposed to absorb some Studio Liverpool staff (WipeOut devs) when it was shut down a few years ago. With Evolution Studio sharing the same fate, chances of a new Wipeout from the original team is quite low.

I don't believe they absorbed that many, a lot formed their own studios, but yes it was an extra punch in the guts to be laid off twice by the same man. I don't know if a VR Wipeout would be that good, it'd probably be nauseating, but you are right. The old team has been scattered to the winds. I can confidently say a new Wipeout is not going to happen. It would be a big insult to the people who were laid off.

JP

As much as I would love it, I'm not sure how much money there is to be made by them if they did this. I know that the majority of people on here would like it but I'm not convinced that means anything in the wider world.

However, I would very much like Housemarque to be given the opportunity of making a new game in this series. Although it's not their usual type of game, they seem an ideal for for me.

Maybe this project could end up being one of Sony's "The List" projects, if we're lucky.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Combining two niche products doesn't make them mainstream OP, there's no money to be made in WipEout VR.

BibiMaghoo

I think it would be great, but many people, probably myself included would be made to feel quite ill. Sharp turns without your body moving feels really strange. I found if you turn with it the sensation is gone, but to do that on a game like Wipeout would require constant adjustments to position. I feel for this to really work comfortably you would need to be in a carriage like the old style arcade machines that move with the turn. That would be outstanding.

I'd been gaming for 14 years by the time the first Wip3out appeared.

My condolences.

kyser73

The VR target crowd is the generation that first played videogames on ps3. Wipeout is unknown to them.

Lol wat?

VR is most likely to be embraced by people like me - older gamers with disposable income & who have held VR as a goal on gaming for years. I'd been gaming for 14 years by the time the first Wip3out appeared.

OT - yes, give me Zone mode at Zen level of higher & crank the background effects up to 1000.

Wollan

The quickest implementation (and probably most true to WipEout without totally re-designing it for VR so you don't crumble to your knees) would be to recreate the arcade from Hackers (1995):

21662259743_3d9f989f07.jpg

Exchange the original WipEout prototype (shown in movie) with WipEout HD and voila.
With your virtual avatar standing in the arcade playing the game on a huge stereoscopic cinema screen you would avoid any nausea.
Also: virtual Angelina Jolie to back you up.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dear TheRealTalker, we don't like WipEout.

--sony

Top Bottom