• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny pre-order materials leak [Up3: Box Art/Info, 360/PS3, Retailer Says Oct 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, the Wii U is next-gen?

For Nintendo, sure. Compared to Durango/Orbis? Nope. I wish it weren't the case, but I really don't see this game going to Nintendo hardware.

Destiny.gif

Thats awesome.

Sounds fucking sublime.

It's really amazing, but FROM made some really strange decisions with it.

1) It's balanced by character level, but you can run endgame gear at any level. Some players will twink, and go and wipe out level 15 characters with their near perfect new game+ level 15 builds.

2) No real matchmaking to speak of, if you want to play multi you need to go to a certain area, stand in the right place and put a sign down and sit and wait, or use an item gaine through the story repeatedly. Matchmaking is something Bungie pioneered, so I wouldn't expect them to make the same mistake here.

3) some bad balance and bullshit stuff ruined it at first. Later updates did imporve things.

I don't want to just bag on it though, even if it has problems it's still... goddamn amazing. You can be working your way through, get invaded, then have this really intense dual. It's a serious thrill to be approaching the level as normal, then have everything just go to shit as you have to now defend yourself against a human trying to stabify you.

It's also prompted some just wonderful goofiness. People have dressed up as santa clause and dropped presents, people have gone in with shit builds just to see if they can, people will go use disguises to trick each other or get random reactions. Even though it's not a "Sandbox" per se, people take it in really fun directions.

Maybe not, but I think they're enemies. I recall a story about Bungie doing focus testing by showing participants various concept art and asking them "Does this look like a good guy or a bad guy to you? What about this one?"

The word "Fallen" is underneath them, which points to them being something more dangerous.

Arnie

It's really amazing, but FROM made some really strange decisions with it.

1) It's balanced by character level, but you can run endgame gear at any level. Some players will twink, and go and wipe out level 15 characters with their near perfect new game+ level 15 builds.

2) No real matchmaking to speak of, if you want to play multi you need to go to a certain area, stand in the right place and put a sign down and sit and wait, or use an item gaine through the story repeatedly. Matchmaking is something Bungie pioneered, so I wouldn't expect them to make the same mistake here.

3) some bad balance and bullshit stuff ruined it at first. Later updates did imporve things.

I don't want to just bag on it though, even if it has problems it's still... goddamn amazing. You can be working your way through, get invaded, then have this really intense dual. It's a serious thrill to be approaching the level as normal, then have everything just go to shit as you have to now defend yourself against a human trying to stabify you.

It's also prompted some just wonderful goofiness. People have dressed up as santa clause and dropped presents, people have gone in with shit builds just to see if they can, people will go use disguises to trick each other or get random reactions. Even though it's not a "Sandbox" per se, people take it in really fun directions.

First part sounds like the sort of thing Bungie would figure out, as you say, and the latter part sounds brilliant. I'll play Dark Souls one day, but as I said, my initial experience of Demon Souls soured me to the franchise prematurely.

GhaleonEB

Maybe not, but I think they're enemies. I recall a story about Bungie doing focus testing by showing participants various concept art and asking them "Does this look like a good guy or a bad guy to you? What about this one?"

It's all a matter of perspective.

Oozer3993

This is the old story synopsis:
"Our story begins seven hundred years from now in the Last City on Earth, in a Solar System littered with the ruins of man's Golden Age. A massive, mysterious alien ship hangs overhead like a second Moon. No one knows where it came from or what it's here for, but only that it's our protector. Meanwhile, strange, alien monsters creep in from the edge of the universe, determined to take Earth and the Last City. We are young ‘knights' tasked with defending the remains of humanity, discovering the source of these monsters and — eventually — overcoming it."

"Explore our old worlds"

"Worlds"

"s"

Plural bitches!

The pictures with teasing text that have been uncovered through the ARG seem to hint that at some point before the game takes place Mars and Venus were terraformed or in the process of being terraformed and Jupiter's moon Europa was moved closer to the Sun to make it habitable.

ari

Banned
Fuck activision, i swear to god i just saw the angry birds trilogy going for 40 dollars on the ps3. That is fucking horrible, what is wrong with these scumbags?

The pictures with teasing text that have been uncovered through the ARG seem to hint that at some point before the game takes place Mars and Venus were terraformed or in the process of being terraformed and Jupiter's moon Europa was moved closer to the Sun to make it habitable.

I was just reading todays image, and you can see those themes becoming clearer.

Where do you get the idea that's Europa? I didn't see that in there.

Mikey Jr.

If its on PS3, I will definitely be interested. If it's only Xbox, then I'll pass. Don't have any interest in paying for gold and a subscription, unless somehow MS made an exception for Bungie.

L1NETT

Oh God yes this looks amazing.

Defend the city? So possible some sort of super large multiplayer/massive Planetside-ish aspect?

dancmc

There is no platforms being mentioned which is interesting that poster looks awesome.

Yes, but if you look closely at one of the pictures on the first page of this thread; MS is mentioned (something like "Microsoft is not the publisher of Destiny....." etc)

Oozer3993

I was just reading todays image, and you can see those themes becoming clearer.

Where do you get the idea that's Europa? I didn't see that in there.

Yeah that was more of a reach. But I got it from this:

Even the largest body lets itself be pushed where it needs to be, seduced into nice, warm loving orbits. Persistence is the key.

Seafloors transform and then yank themselves skyward, shattering the icy crust as new worlds awaken inside the swirling depths.

It's believed that Europa has liquid water under it's icy exterior. And it's a moon of the "largest world" in the Solar System, Jupiter.

It's a stretch, but I'm just throwing stuff out there to see if it triggers any insights from some one else.

Spawnling

If its on PS3, I will definitely be interested. If it's only Xbox, then I'll pass. Don't have any interest in paying for gold and a subscription, unless somehow MS made an exception for Bungie.

On bungie.net you can already sign in from Xbox Live, PSN, or Facebook since the update happened. The contract most likely changed, I think we'll be seeing it for MS and Sony this year in some fashion. Have to see.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The art for this game looks so awesome. Really looking forward to the reveal and am hoping it hits a platform I own in a timely manner.

Orayn

I hope it falls somewhere between a normal game with co-op and competitive MP and an MMO. Think Guild Wars 1, Monster Hunter, Phantasy Star Online, Demon's Souls, or Borderlands, but with more persistent world elements.

Squire

Banned
Yes, but if you look closely at one of the pictures on the first page of this thread; MS is mentioned (something like "Microsoft is not the publisher of Destiny....." etc)

The MS mention is to acknowledge them as the trademark holder of Halo, which the poster directly mentions. Someone also mentioned how the pre-order cards for Black Ops II didn't mention platforms on the front either. It was on the back.

What of the things I'm kind of hoping Bungie does take from Halo and have in Destiny is the humorous element to the combat. So many first-person shooters nowadays (and throughout history) have combat that is so grounded and serious. Part of what made Halo so fun and what really set it apart was just how ridiculous the enemy feedback was; everything is so exaggerated to the point of being, in one way, comical. If you go back and play any Halo game made by Bungie (besides maybe Reach), the combat is just downright hilarious if you look at it from a certain perspective.

LQX

"From the creators of Halo." I knew and said it years ago, Bungie would still try to milk the Halo name though they wanted out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
"From the creators of Halo." I knew and said it years ago, Bungie would still try to milk the Halo name though they wanted out.

I'm sure that's Activision's doing. You can bet EA will be chanting "From the creators of Call of Duty" when they finally announce Respawn's game.

bananas

Banned
Saying "From the publishers of Call of Duty" is like when movies say "From the studio that brought you..."

Doesn't really mean anything.

dancmc

The MS mention is to acknowledge them as the trademark holder of Halo, which the poster directly mentions. Someone also mentioned how the pre-order cards for Black Ops II didn't mention platforms on the front either. It was on the back.

ok; that's cool; I am going to get this for whichever platform has the best version....hoping that is either PC/Orbis/Durango

Blueblur1

What of the things I'm kind of hoping Bungie does take from Halo and have in Destiny is the humorous element to the combat. So many first-person shooters nowadays (and throughout history) have combat that is so grounded and serious. Part of what made Halo so fun and what really set it apart was just how ridiculous the enemy feedback was; everything is so exaggerated to the point of being, in one way, comical. If you go back and play any Halo game made by Bungie (besides maybe Reach), the combat is just downright hilarious if you look at it from a certain perspective.
"I killed the Demon! Ha ha ha!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom