• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny pre-order materials leak [Up3: Box Art/Info, 360/PS3, Retailer Says Oct 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eideka

Banned
Given that this contract was made 3 years ago, sounds like they didn't have the foresight to know when the generation was ending. It would be a little ridiculous to release a PS3 game in 2014, no?

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it was strictly all next gen at this point. It does seem extra intriguing that the 360 and PS3 logos were nowhere to be seen on that poster.

Indeed that seems strange, I want Destiny to be as ambitious as possible and a current-gen release kind of mitigate that.

Someone on the forum said their Bungie friend said it was somewhat different now, but I have no idea if this person actually has a Bungie friend.
Yeah anyone can claim anything on internet forums but I do hope that the PC is part of their plans.

Stark

Banned
Does that leaked contract still hold up or could they have changed anything?

If the leaked contract holds up then I don't understand why people are questioning what platforms this is for...

Stuff always changes, so we won't know till they announce platforms. But it's definitely pointing to a multiplatform launch from the get-go.

Please be similar to Planetside 2, but with singleplayer in some form.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Indeed that seems strange, I want Destiny to be as ambitious as possible and a current-gen release kind of mitigate that.

Well for this part the entire contract revolves around an Xbox 360 SKU for performance measurements and deliverables, so I doubt that's went away.

Sunday cant come soon enough just so we can end this "will it / wont it" be on PS3 bs.

I think its pretty clear it will be there and at launch but it will be nice to stop people talked about it.

Stark

Banned
Any chance for a "expanded" version on the next-generation consoles?

EDIT: I'm talking size and stuff, since this gen can't do Planetside 2 without pulling a Skyrim.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I was under the impression than Destiny is much more ambitious than BF4.

That's what most of the leaks have led me to believe. It sounds far more ambitious.

Vire

sL8bKxw.png

This part of the contract is the most interesting part. Talks about the possible termination of PS3 development if A. it becomes no longer feasible through technical challenges. B. transition of next generation systems if commercial desirability is no longer there.

Both these determinations were made by 2011. So the contract most certainly has changed since then.

As I said, once they got to March 2011, they probably made the decision to move it to next gen platforms.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Any chance for a "expanded" version on the next-generation consoles?

Well it's in the contract.

sL8bKxw.png

This part of the contract is the most interesting part. Talks about the possible termination of PS3 development if A. it becomes no longer feasible through technical challenges. B. transition of next generation systems if commercial desirability is no longer there.

Both these determinations were made by 2011. So the contract most certainly has changed since then.

All targeted platforms for Destiny 2 are also up for technical/financial debate, even though they're officially targeted as 360/720/PC/PS4.

eso76

Halo in non-Halo form. Reminds me of the shift from KOTOR to Mass Effect

Bungie: fuck you MS, we don't want to keep making halo.

Goes ahead making a game that is halo in non-halo form.

It's OK with me, I think whatever Destiny ends up being, it could have been another chapter in the halo saga, but I'd rather have a new IP, plus I'm sure this will motivate bungie and make something special. Hopefully something as groundbreaking as combat evolved. Liking the art a lot.

StuBurns

Banned
I was under the impression than Destiny is much more ambitious than BF4.
If it is or not, it shouldn't make it hugely more difficult to produce alternate SKUs for. Ambition is a difficult thing to quantify in any real sense, but Bungie has had a long time to work on this. I think people will be surprised how many upcoming titles are on both Sony and MS platforms, and PC. The industry hasn't had five target platforms pretty much ever, so people have just not needed to do it so far.
All targeted platforms for Destiny 2 are also up for technical/financial debate, even though they're officially targeted as 360/720/PC/PS4.
The 360? In 2015? That's not happening.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If it is or not, it shouldn't make it hugely more difficult to produce alternate SKUs for. Ambition is a difficult thing to quantify in any real sense, but Bungie has had a long time to work on this. I think people will be surprised how many upcoming titles are on both Sony and MS platforms, and PC. The industry hasn't had five target platforms pretty much ever, so people have just not needed to do it so far.

I imagine the main reason we're seeing a lot more cross-gen is that titles coming out in 2013 A.) don't want to miss out on next-gen sales, since people buying those consoles are likely to be buying a ton of software and B.) the games cost too much to recoup costs solely on next-gen at/near launch.

The 360? In 2015? That's not happening.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that clause was basically only there for the Xbox 360 version.

Vire

Pretty amusing that they refer to the next Xbox as 720.

I wonder if back when the Nintendo 64 gen was about to end, legal contracts referred to the Gamecube as Nintendo 128.

Just seems so ridiculous in hindsight.
Well here's Bungie talking about their engine design and how it was built with running on next-gen as well: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134946/all_that_glitters_an_interview_.php?print=1

Interesting article. I will always respect that guy for his water tech in Halo 3. :)

Pooya

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/15/destiny-releasing-october-16-according-to-french-retailer/
http://www.micromania.fr/vente/achat_destiny_Jeu-52022-XBOX360.html

French retailer says October 6.

it has description too so I guess it's somewhat legit.

52022_jaqr_Project_Tiger_Pre_Order_X360_inlay_UK_129x171.jpg

Everything changed with the arrival of Voyageur. It was originally a Golden Age that allowed our civilization to establish itself in the solar system. But it could not last. Something we put ashore broke. The survivors built a city in the Voyageur before returning explore our ancient worlds where only mortal enemies awaited them.

You are a Guardian, protector of last haven of life on Earth, armed with incredible powers. You must defend the city. Defeat our enemies. And look what we have lost. Be strong.

Vire

360 format listed only.

52022_jaqr_Project_Tiger_Pre_Order_X360_inlay_UK_129x171.jpg

Interesting. Very!

Also, quote from that interview:
What for you have been the challenges on the graphics side, going multiplatform?

HC: We re-architected our graphics engine, and the primary reason is the need to go multiplatform and get ready for the next gen. The first challenge to abstract out the platform differences and still be efficient for each platform.

The other challenge is to have a good architecture for multi-threaded, multi-core designs that allow us to distribute work across different hardware threads, and have as many things execute in parallel as possible. We found out that even for Xbox 360, we were grossly under-utilizing the CPU, mostly due to our multi-threading design that doesn't allow us to spread the work and execute them in parallel. So we redid the whole architecture in the new engine.

An even bigger challenge is to future proof the engine so when the next generation of consoles is here, we are already pretty good at squeezing the performance out of it. For example, we want the ability to have a particle system to run on the GPU for the 360, SPU on the PS3, and compute shaders on the future hardware, and this requires good design up front.

Seems pretty clear they are developing on both current gen and next gen.

StuBurns

Banned
October 6th? An interesting date. Seems too early for either next-gen systems, I imagined a simultaneous release.

EDIT: Then again, when could the next systems launch? This is only two weeks before the yearly AssCreed, which is only two weeks before the yearly CoD, can't really slip into December.

Beckx

360 format listed only.

Interesting. Very!

Indeed, I would not be surprised if Destiny turned out to be 360/Durango/PS4/PC (I mean, am I wrong about the tech in the next gen platforms, or would it be weird to do Durango & PC but not PS4?).

Merguson

Banned

The creators of Halo ® and publisher of Call of Duty you are Destiny. Everything changed with the arrival of Voyageur. It was originally a Golden Age that allowed our civilization to establish itself in the solar system. But it could not last. Something we put ashore and broke. The survivors built a city in the Voyageur before returning explore our ancient worlds where only mortal enemies awaited them. You are a Guardian, protector of last haven of life on Earth, armed with incredible powers. You must defend the city. Defeat our enemies. And look what we have lost. Be strong. Characteristics • The future standard of entertainment: a unique scenario in a connected world permanently totally new, full of action and adventure. • Create your own character and forge your legend by defeating powerful enemies and gaining weapons, equipment and vehicles, all unique and customizable. • Offering a unique variety of game, a shooter that redefines the genre and breaks with the conventions campaigns solo and competitive multiplayer modes cooperative and combines your social networks.

Google French Translation, i know, but breaks with the conventions regarding solo campaign, co-op and competitive multiplayer?

Sounds like to me that competitive multiplayer isn't necessarily confirmed.

Vire

Indeed, I would not be surprised if Destiny turned out to be 360/Durango/PS4/PC (I mean, am I wrong about the tech in the next gen platforms, or would it be weird to do Durango & PC but not PS4?).

This is sounding more and more likely. It would be funny if the press only got to see the 360 version and then Bungie really blows everyones minds at E3. 360 version releases in October, next gen in November?

Petrichor

October 6th? An interesting date. Seems too early for either next-gen systems, I imagined a simultaneous release.

EDIT: Then again, when could the next systems launch? This is only two weeks before the yearly AssCreed, which is only two weeks before the yearly CoD, can't really slip into December.

I'll go out on a limb and say that October 6th is the US durango launch date. If microsoft have payed for the next-gen exclusivity they'll want it as a launch title.

omg could they have done it?
Could they have done the impossible and really make The Crossing work?

You play campaign and all the AI are other players? :O

StuBurns

Banned
That cover is interesting, if it's at all what they're considering for the game. All the Halo covers depict Master Chief (well, the first three). Part of the reason that series has been so notable outside of it's game presence, is they crafted an iconic figure, and based their promotion around that.

Obviously if you're attempting to make something with a greater focus on the individuals, you need something which doesn't focus on any one player character. Even Mass Effect got shit with not featuring the female Sheppard.

I assumed whatever the single player would be, it'd still feature a hero, based on that cover, I would think it almost certainly doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom