• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 Datamined: Lots Of New Info, [February Open Beta Is Likely]

Drinkel

That shitty wizard sound clip makes me think of the Idle Thumbs episode named The Shitty Wizard. The voices have started to grow on me, Valves banter is amazing.

Diablos1125

Neo Member
All I want to do is give them my money. I don't like this F2P business......

.......ok I do, but I will still give them my money!!

Diablos1125 said:
That was pretty creepy! Wheres the Valve in the eye dude?! I wanna see him animate

No you don't..

739HEl.jpg

Valygar said:
The amount of sounds per hero is incredible. This game is going to be awesome!

It really surprises me that they're wasting resources on this considering that half of players will probably want to turn unit responses off anyway.

krameriffic said:
It really surprises me that they're wasting resources on this considering that half of players will probably want to turn unit responses off anyway.

I know a lot of people who keep them on. Also I'm sure people will keep it on in DOTA 2 simply because it has so much voice per hero.

I AM ALUNA

Avocado

Archie said:
The major obstacle for Dota 2, if it goes F2P, will be dissuading people from wanting to smurf and/or ragequit because they gave up first blood. If Valve can find a solution to that then get ready to see a game top >1 million concurrent users on the Steam activity list.

They could make the game f2p for anyone who has spent 50 dollars/euro on Steam - of course, it would go against them wanting to expand into the f2p chinese market.

deleted

RaGMasTeR90 said:
I think it would be a bad idea for the die hard DotA players. A DotA player is used to have all heroes available at any time. The thing is that DotA is not like LoL where every 2 weeks or so a they release a new "Champion". Icefrog had in generall about 3 to 5 months to release an update. And there wasnt always a new hero, only on the "new versions" e.g. from 6.65 to 6.66. If Valve wants to keep it the same (which i hope) than it would not make sense to "sell" heroes in that way, simply cause there will only be like 4 or 5 new heroes per year.

Let's say the game launches with 60-70 heroes. To get to the normal pool of Dota heroes they have to release 30 something heroes after launch. Lets say Valve does this every 3-4 weeks and takes a fee to play these heroes for the first week before they make them permanently F2P.
They would monetize the new Hero releases but also have them available for the non paying community pretty soon.

x3r0123

xyla said:
Let's say the game launches with 60-70 heroes. To get to the normal pool of Dota heroes they have to release 30 something heroes after launch. Lets say Valve does this every 3-4 weeks and takes a fee to play these heroes for the first week before they make them permanently F2P.
They would monetize the new Hero releases but also have them available for the non paying community pretty soon.

x3r0123 said:
that will split the existing dota community

not to mention that a large portion of the dota community are from china and mindlessly adding new heroes every 3-4 weeks will make the game imbalanced. If you have played dota for a good amount of time then you should know icefrog only introduced around 3-5 new heroes or so per year

Meeru

Banned
krameriffic said:
And where did you get your evidence from?

As for people thinking that Dota 2 won't launch with all heroes...they will.

deleted

x3r0123 said:
not to mention that a large portion of the dota community are from china and mindlessly adding new heroes every 3-4 weeks will make the game imbalanced. If you have played dota for a good amount of time then you should know icefrog only introduced around 3-5 new heroes or so per year

Why would it split the community? Every Hero would be available for everyone - just after a short period of time. And its not "new" heroes per se, but only the ones, that won't make it into the release version, but are available in Dota 1, so they could be released at a steady amount.

Edit: This is pure speculation, just trying to understand why such a policy could split the community.

Meeru said:

Yes, and has been confirmed as such. http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/dota-2010/1188945p1.html

Unsurprisingly, when questioned about what precisely those abilities were, Newell was quick to inform me that Valve wasn't prepared to divulge that information yet. Nonetheless, he clarified that 105 heroes will be playable at launch. "Of course, there will be more forthcoming,"

Artanisix

xyla said:
Why would it split the community? Every Hero would be available for everyone - just after a short period of time. And its not "new" heroes per se, but only the ones, that won't make it into the release version, but are available in Dota 1, so they could be released at a steady amount.

Charging for heroes that are essentially old, core characters of the original game that didn't make it into the release of the "remake" would be enraging. I can't imagine the amount of backlash that would occur.

Meeru said:
And where did you get your evidence from?

My evidence is anecdotal based on a significant amount of time watching streams of HoN players on Justin.tv. Many of them have unit responses off, so I estimated somewhere around half.

I subscribe to a school of thought in which spending resources on ancillary bullshit like 10 minutes of dialog lines per hero for over 100 heroes is a bad idea when they could be focusing on the actual gameplay. The note becomes even lower when you consider the fact that many players will turn them off. If you like unnecessary voice acting so much, perhaps you should visit the SWTOR thread.

xyla said:

Edit: This is pure speculation, just trying to understand why such a policy could split the community.

It wouldn't split the community, going by what you just said, but it'd be a bad idea to withhold heroes in this game since the game is built around counter picking. It'd be a shame if one of the first 60-70 heroes on there didn't have their counter in, that would be a fun few weeks/months.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
krameriffic said:
My evidence is anecdotal based on a significant amount of time watching streams of HoN players on Justin.tv. Many of them have unit responses off, so I estimated somewhere around half.

I subscribe to a school of thought in which spending resources on ancillary bullshit like 10 minutes of dialog lines per hero for over 100 heroes is a bad idea when they could be focusing on the actual gameplay. The note becomes even lower when you consider the fact that many players will turn them off. If you like unnecessary voice acting so much, perhaps you should visit the SWTOR thread.
Yea I'm sure it's either make the game better or record dialog, and Valve could only choose the one.

Artanisix

krameriffic said:

You live up to your avatar, I guess? Most DOTA players I know play with unit responses on. Doesn't mean much.

It's not like people who are writing dialogue and working with voice actors for this kind of stuff are taking away from the people who work on "actual gameplay." You also have to think of why the unit responses are turned off in the first place. Are they annoying and repetitive in HoN? Is the voice acting bad? With ten minutes of dialogue in Dota2 per hero, the chance of voices becoming repetitive lowers significantly. Maybe that'll help alleviate the amount of people who turn them off in the first place.

nara

Banned
krameriffic said:

your evidence is nothing if u dont have beta nyaa

Zzoram

Archie said:
That was just PR speak. Every game in the genre is F2P and Valve will follow suit. The only thing that concerns me is this:

So help me god if they lock heroes behind pay walls. >:|
That just sounds like they're restricting heroes in noob games to keep things simple. The description was clearly a quickmatch preference option. It doesn't sound like a pay wall at all.

Hats :)

deleted

tiltnkirby said:
It wouldn't split the community, going by what you just said, but it'd be a bad idea to withhold heroes in this game since the game is built around counter picking. It'd be a shame if one of the first 60-70 heroes on there didn't have their counter in, that would be a fun few weeks/months.

I didn't know that they planned to launch with all heroes on board, thats a best case scenario! And I agree it would be pretty bad if they charged for old heroes, I was just going through possible money making strategies aside from cosmetic items.

krameriffic said:

Yes! Because, clearly the people taking care of voice acting are the same people who would spend time on balance and gameplay otherwise.
Nah, just kidding. I have good news for you: The people working on voice acting are very rarely responsible for anything related to balance or general gameplay. So, time spend on voice acting or sound in general is not really going to have any impact on gameplay.

Meeru

Banned
krameriffic said:
I subscribe to a school of thought in which spending resources on ancillary bullshit like 10 minutes of dialog lines per hero for over 100 heroes is a bad idea when they could be focusing on the actual gameplay.

Actual gameplay? It's a port of DoTA, what more do you need to know. What we really need now are the little touches that make this game better, and Valve is doing that through the matchmaking system, coaching, in-game guides, voices, voicecasting spectators, watching any live game (and being able to filter games through names). No other Action RPG has these (other than the matchmaking which is pretty much the norm). LoL is still replay-less.

Neki

krameriffic said:

valve doesn't know how to manage time and resources, confirm/deny?

TheExodu5

Banned
krameriffic said:

I've never heard of someone complaining because a company put too much effort into something. I really doubt we'd be getting Dota 2 and sooner had they not spent anything on the voicework.

Valve has a lot of money. Valve employees make games because that is their passion. They wanted good voicework because that suits their vision. There is no reason for them to compromise. This is why Valve games are some of the best in the industry.

And really...10 minutes per hero for 100 heroes is not that crazy. I doubt the cost would be very high for producing that much voice work.

As long as there is an option for "USE DEFAULT CHARACTER MODELS" or something.

No, I don't care about your super special skin/hat/whatever.

I just want to see a standard hero set when I watch my screen.

Case in point: HoN's alt skins, which are often completely different from their regular models.

I don't like guessing what I'm up against.

And yes, it gets better with time, but I still want the option not to be distracted by that crap.

Darth Kupi said:
As long as there is an option for "USE DEFAULT CHARACTER MODELS" or something.

No, I don't care about your super special skin/hat/whatever.

I just want to see a standard hero set when I watch my screen.

Case in point: HoN's alt skins, which are often completely different from their regular models.

I don't like guessing what I'm up against.

And yes, it gets better with time, but I still want the option not to be distracted by that crap.
DENIED.

You will most likely be shit outta luck, unless you want to get into the nitty gritty of custom models.

Top Bottom