• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 Datamined: Lots Of New Info, [February Open Beta Is Likely]

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Mini Pudge and the other couriers are in DotA already so I don't see how it shows anything.

epmode

V_Ben said:
Wait, there are files in that beta pertaining to Valve's space game? Please tell me that project still exists. A while back Gabe was interviewed, and talked about his dream project, which sounded like a mix between eve online and freelancer, with players building and designing their own ships, and sharing them amongst themselves. It sounded incredible, but the project hasn't been heard from since. I don't think it had even entered development at that point.

Edit: I think it was in an old issue of EDGE magazine, quite a while back. If that game has entered development, people are going to freak the hell out when they reveal it. The concept was so cool sounding.
Valve doing a space-based videogame is a goddamned dream come true for me. Oh god oh god oh god oh god

markot

Banned
dragon_knight_elder_dragon_form.png
lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kiruyama said:
can someone explains how that link "confirms" its f2p? i must be missing something
I don't quite understand the link either, but there's the bottom box here:

dota2j8xu.png

It definitely doesn't sound like the regular item shop in the game, but rather an e-Commerce store.

That or they've vastly changed the presentation of buying games in a match to resemble an actual store.

markot

Banned
If that is the store, it at least points towards heroes being free and cosmetics being the only thing that they sell ^_^

Free to play makes me sad ... :(

But all other info rocks. The voice actors are so good! My fav so far is from CM "Lina you hellfire hell bitch!"

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
F2P hasn't been verified yet, but the potential existence of a cash shop and the fact that every other game in this genre is F2P means that Dota 2 will likely follow suit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Xater said:
Or maybe it means they block certain heroes for noob games.
That's my thought. Locking items and heroes, to me, is a great way to reduce the difficulty. You could set up different "tiers" of difficulty, with only the top tier having every hero and item available.

I don't see why F2P is going to be bad. Smurfing may be a problem but once you're past the lower brackets in the ladder it shouldn't matter at all. Valve could even do some kind of - If your steam account has $60 worth of games on it the games free! - or something to prevent smurfing.

markot

Banned
Not to mention Valve has been pushing hard to set steam up for f2p. The item trading thingy...etc...

Fact is, they can make alot more money on f2p then they do on the traditional model. Lots of people will play for free, but quite a few will spend a hell of a lot on items and crap.

f2p is taking off in a big way, many upcoming PC games, well multiplayer ones, are focusing on it.

Archie said:
F2P hasn't been verified yet, but the potential existence of a cash shop and the fact that every other game in this genre is F2P means that Dota 2 will likely follow suit.

yeah thats what i also think. I just hope they dont implement it the same way LoL did it. Would be really frustrating ...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'd imagine you pick you skill level and then play a few placement matches and then you get assigned an Elo rating.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The major obstacle for Dota 2, if it goes F2P, will be dissuading people from wanting to smurf and/or ragequit because they gave up first blood. If Valve can find a solution to that then get ready to see a game top >1 million concurrent users on the Steam activity list.

TheExodu5

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Taken in context with the entire thing:

"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_Title" "WELCOME TO DOTA 2!"
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_Question" "PLEASE SELECT YOUR LEVEL OF FAMILIARITY WITH DOTA:"
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_NewbieButton" "New"
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_NewbieText" "You have a limited understanding of games like Dota. In your games players will be restricted to playing only those heroes that are easiest to understand, and levels will be auto-balanced."
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_FamiliarButton" "Familiar"
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_FamiliarText" "You have a good idea how Dota works - you might be a little rusty but are ready to jump in."
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_ExperiencedButton" "Experienced"
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_ExperiencedText" "You play games like Dota regularly and don’t need any instruction. Selecting this will make you less likely to be in hero restricted games with auto-balancing."

It seems to me that it just means you're less likely to end up in games with "new" players who are restricted and auto-balanced.

Alright, that's sounding confirmed to me. Difficulty will be controller by locking heroes. Awesome.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Data mined F2P files, a myth, hero locking, new heroes, lore and more?

Drip drip drip it into my hands please.

Exuro

I wonder what store effects and tools are going to be. The only idea for effects I can think of is changing how a spell looks but that doesn't sound like a good idea for the game.

"I wonder what store effects and tools are going to be. The only idea for effects I can think of is changing how a spell looks but that doesn't sound like a good idea for the game."

One of the things mentioned in the teamliquid thread was being able to change your hex spell animal to a chunk of cheese. I'd imagine it'd be something similar to that.

Thoraxes

Man, EP3 will look amazing with all the improvements that have been made to the source engine over the years.

If it isn't actually a running joke still, that is.

markot

Banned
PaulLFC said:
KuGsj.gif

Don't know why but this made me laugh.

Ancient Appirations is the best >.>

An elemental power of ice, a timeless cold that predates the existence of the universe, Ancient Apparition springs from a realm where lore has no meaning.

Cipherr

TheExodu5 said:
Alright, that's sounding confirmed to me. Difficulty will be controller by locking heroes. Awesome.

That actually sounds promising. If they handle the matchmaking for terrible new players right, I might actually play this instead of just watching competitive matches. Its an extremely fun game to watch, but if I could play without getting chain destroyed/swore at that would be great.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Cipherr said:
That actually sounds promising. If they handle the matchmaking for terrible new players right, I might actually play this instead of just watching competitive matches. Its an extremely fun game to watch, but if I could play without getting chain destroyed/swore at that would be great.
Reminds me of getting destroyed in the Practice League in SC2..I stopped playing altogether..thank you, experienced trolls :(

MNC

Botolf said:
Oh man, episode three might have a flamethrower?! *salivates*
Dude. WEAPONIZERS.\

Also, "episodic" is the code name for Episode 1. Just like ep2, portal2, tf, hl2.

Meeru

Banned
Man, I can definitely feel what's it like being in the shoes of a beginner player against experienced players. Fighting against people like DeMoN and other pros repeatedly is intense lol

Orayn

Archie said:
The major obstacle for Dota 2, if it goes F2P, will be dissuading people from wanting to smurf and/or ragequit because they gave up first blood. If Valve can find a solution to that then get ready to see a game top >1 million concurrent users on the Steam activity list.
There have been murmurs of Valve wanting to put the smackdown on people who make their games unfun to play - Shoving quitters into something like Red Orchestra 2's gulag would do the job nicely.

deleted

So, we think that -if the title is F2P- since its a valve game, all heroes will be select-able from the start. And its pretty clear, that not all heroes will be there when the game launches.

Would it be considered a bad idea, if Valve charged for the new heroes that become available and made them free after two weeks? Early adopters could pay and the rest just has to wait to play them and there won't be the same problematic that exists in games like LoL.

x3r0123

xyla said:
Would it be considered a bad idea, if Valve charged for the new heroes that become available and made them free after two weeks? Early adopters could pay and the rest just has to wait to play them and there won't be the same problematic that exists in games like LoL.

that will split the existing dota community

xyla said:
So, we think that -if the title is F2P- since its a valve game, all heroes will be select-able from the start. And its pretty clear, that not all heroes will be there when the game launches.

I think it would be a bad idea for the die hard DotA players. A DotA player is used to have all heroes available at any time. The thing is that DotA is not like LoL where every 2 weeks or so a they release a new "Champion". Icefrog had in generall about 3 to 5 months to release an update. And there wasnt always a new hero, only on the "new versions" e.g. from 6.65 to 6.66. If Valve wants to keep it the same (which i hope) than it would not make sense to "sell" heroes in that way, simply cause there will only be like 4 or 5 new heroes per year.

I know the filler icons will never make it into the final game, but I want it to.

An alternate UI using those icons or something.

MNC said:
Dude. WEAPONIZERS.\

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/15/we-ask-gabe-newell-about-piracy-drm-and-episode-three/

PC Gamer: Last time I was at your old office, on the whiteboard there was a pros and cons analysis of another weapon versus the Gravity Gun – something called the Weaponiser. Was that an Episode Three thing?

Gabe Newell: No, it was an internal design experiment that we were doing, which hasn’t seen the light of day.

Erik Johnson: That must have been a long time ago, that must have been during our direct to design experiments.

The "directed design experiments" (direct to design is wrong) took place in February 2008 according to The Final Hours of Portal 2.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Apparently some more WIP art leaked, although I am somewhat dubious of the authenticity. (I got it from a poster on the Playdota forums who got it from a Brazilian site).

sscuw.png

I see Dirge, Medusa(?), Omniknight, Luna and Alchemist(?).

Top Bottom