• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 Datamined: Lots Of New Info, [February Open Beta Is Likely]

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Keiician said:
Apparently you write IceFrog your story and if he think it's cool, you'll get a key.

Yup. Got my key this way. Although I suspect that it won't be overly difficult to get in pretty soon.

Meeru said:
The dota 2 OT can be posted once the first beta invite wave comes out

You better put the oven mitts away and do the OT!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm watching a stream right now, and apparently you can press a button to have the hero names show up on the mini map. (I would have still preferred LoL's character icons, though)

Sibylus

Banned
vocab said:
Man I'm watching some streams and people just farm all day, and barely show up to team fights. Fun stuff!
synderen's last game at joindota was quite good, lots of teamfighting and action.

Meeru said:
Me and orangecaramel are updating it at the moment :)

Yo Meeru, do you know if there's a way to have the level of heroes above their name? I hope I don't have to put the mouse over a hero just to see what level he is.

Wallach said:
Can't stop watchin' DOTA 2 streams. God help me if I get a key. Or when this actually comes out.

The game may never close. It'll be tabbed when I'm not in a game so I can get back into it as fast as possible. I need it in me (pc).

Meeru

Banned
StickSoldier said:
Yo Meeru, do you know if there's a way to have the level of heroes above their name? I hope I don't have to put the mouse over a hero just to see what level he is.
It's gonna be a direct port of DotA 1, so I doubt it. They're not going to have mana bars for enemy heroes either.

I want to start streaming myself, but trying to figure out the best way to stream. BTW, I think I can get an extra 2 beta keys from Icefrog.

Meeru said:
It's gonna be a direct port of DotA 1, so I doubt it. They're not going to have mana bars for enemy heroes either.

I want to start streaming myself, but trying to figure out the best way to stream. BTW, I think I can get an extra 2 beta keys from Icefrog.

How much? :grinwink

Meeru said:

Welp, I'm gonna beg, though so is everyone else. SO WHATEVER.

Goon Boon

Banned
Meeru said:

Now I wish I got more involved in hon-gaf!

Symphonic

Meeru said:

My last name is Handy if you know what I mean.

Lesiroth

Meeru said:

Only 2? Pfft.

OH GOD ME PLS

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Game is fun. Only played about 4 matches today. Had a lan party with 3 friends and my brother.. we all got keys ;)

My second game (Lina)

4Xql9.jpg

and from my third game (i was pudge, friend was streaming)

http://www.justin.tv/blackst4r/b/295870268
http://www.justin.tv/blackst4r/b/295869799

The hook is quite different from HoN/DotA.. and overall, DotA 2 is a bit slow to me. Maybe I just need to get used to it :/

vulva

Meeru said:
Does that mean you have the beta?
nah, I just have a friend who really loves these games and has been pretty down and out lately. I'm awful at these kinds of games but would love to help cheer him up. That's all =)

Sibylus

Banned
No problem, saw the link pop up in the syn joindota stream and was like, "neat!"

Meeru said:

Sooo, just how straight and how married are you? ;0

Meeru said:
Does that mean you have the beta?

Got another question for you. Not sure if you play HoN, I think I saw you in the community thread, but if you have how does this game feel compared to HoN? After playing HoN for a few weeks now, LoL just feels too slow for me, so I'm hoping I don't feel like that about Dota.

LCGeek

formerly sane
StickSoldier said:
Got another question for you. Not sure if you play HoN, I think I saw you in the community thread, but if you have how does this game feel compared to HoN? After playing HoN for a few weeks now, LoL just feels too slow for me, so I'm hoping I don't feel like that about Dota.

It is slower. Hon has a bigger map and even with that going on the movespeed in hon is still much faster.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Heh, and my friends called me crazy when I cited HoN being faster as why I didn't like it, saying Dota was just as fast.

Drkirby said:
Heh, and my friends called me crazy when I cited HoN being faster as why I didn't like it, and called me crazy saying Dota was just as fast.

I didn't realize it was slower than HoN based on the streams, but I probably could tell if I got a chance to play it. I actually like the speed of HoN much more than LoL, but as long as Dota isn't as slow as LoL, I should be okay.

StickSoldier said:
I didn't realize it was slower than HoN based on the streams, but I probably could tell if I got a chance to play it. I actually like the speed of HoN much more than LoL, but as long as Dota isn't as slow as LoL, I should be okay.
Dota is identical (or as close to as possible) to HoN so you're fine.

Meeru

Banned
StickSoldier said:
Well the battles end much faster in Dota than LoL I'll give you that.

Razgreez

StickSoldier said:

HoN is much faster than Dota or LoL in terms of movement speed. Especially the creeps. There can be no argument about it. Play HoN and go back to DotA or LoL and things will seem to crawl for a few mins till you adjust

Meeru

Banned
Razgreez said:
HoN is much faster than Dota or LoL in terms of movement speed. Especially the creeps. There can be no argument about it. Play HoN and go back to DotA or LoL and things will seem to crawl for a few mins till you adjust
That is true, creeps do seem to run faster. Also the way pathing works in HoN is a bit different too.

Razgreez said:
Huh. I didn't realize that. U:

ksan

and once again people disregard one of the biggest differences in speed between the games;
the attack animations, there's a much bigger delay before projectiles are launched for some heroes in dota, look at lina and cm and compare them to their HoN counter-parts

That's also one of the reasons HoN players will have a hard time last hitting with morphling (who also has a pretty long delay/wind up) at first

Other than that, it's pretty obvious that another reason why HoN is generally faster is that there are a lot of heroes with more activateable nukes (the new HoN specific ones).

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Yeah, Earthshaker's Fissure had a pretty surprising wind-up to it. Definitely something that'll take a bit of getting used to on my end.

That and the whole never playing DoTA and barely touching HoN part.

x3r0123

Meeru said:

oh man, i would love to play on the beta. Can I take first dips?

Top Bottom