• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Trank's Fantastic Four hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic Four feels like a 100-minute trailer for a movie that never happens.
- Todd McCarthy, Hollywood Reporter

Feels less like a blockbuster for this age of comics-oriented tentpoles than it does another also-ran -- not an embarrassment, but an experiment that didn't gel.
Brian Lowry, Variety

After battling months of bad buzz, "Fantastic Four" emerges as a wounded animal of a superhero movie, only rarely showing flashes of the darker, more emotional breed of Marvel film it's trying to be.
Tim Grierson, Screen International

Director Josh Trank has assembled a quartet of engaging, charismatic performers and stranded them in a miasma of exposition and set-up. So much time is spent putting the pieces on the board that there's barely any time to play with them.
Alonso Duralde, TheWrap

In the face of such bad buzz, it's hard not to feel a little sorry for the finished product, which is a harmless and endearingly cartoonish throwback to more simple comic book movie times.
Emma Dibdin, Digital Spy

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Arrested+Development+Fantastic+Four2.jpg

Sanjuro

This is one of those examples where the worse the film, the better viewing experience I will have in all probability.

Salsa

im bummed considering he first started quotin David Cronenberg and about making this kind of a horror-lite film of teenagers having their bodies change and being freaked out / having to deal with it

then the trailers looked more and more like a regular superhero flick

sounds spectacular:

https://twitter.com/FB_BMB/status/628681852052721664
Sample dialogue.
Victor (pre-transformation): I think the whole world should come to an end.
Susan (sarcastic): Listen to Dr. Doom here.

https://twitter.com/FB_BMB/status/628681035451076608
"It's clobbering time" is something Ben Grimm's abusive brother used to say before he slapped him about. Comic book fans will love that.

https://twitter.com/FB_BMB/status/628703183649570816
Oh, and some of the scenes in the trailer are not in the film: notably, The Thing dropping out of helicopter, in all the ads, isn't in it.

Sanjuro

So basically, it's bad but not Amazing Spider-Man 2 bad.

"Fantastic Four feels like a 100-minute trailer for a movie that never happens."

That sounds a bit worse. Amazing Spider-Man 2 was most certainly a movie, one that would have been amazing twenty years prior.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Serious Question: If this movie bombs at the box office....what are the chances of Fox getting desperate enough to sell the character rights back to Marvel?

SeppOCE

im bummed considering he first started quotin David Cronenberg and about making this kind of a horror-lite film of teenagers having their bodies change and being freaked out / having to deal with it

then the trailers looked more and more like a regular superhero flick

It probably started off that way during the creative process but the studio probably had their grubby hands all over it.

Certinty

I'll still give it a view, when it comes to superhero stuff I'm not in sync with most reviews anyway. I mean I found GotG boring and Avengers AoU decent at best while I quite liked TASM2.

ElTopo

Banned
It's funny when you think about there being two Fantastic Four movies that were made simply to hold onto the rights.

jtb

Banned
The helicopter thing was so dumb anyways.

They're a bunch of fucking scientists, right? Don't they know that ALL OBJECTS FALL AT THE SAME RATE. shove your stupid quip up your ass.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Serious Question: If this movie bombs at the box office....what are the chances of Fox getting desperate enough to sell the character rights back to Marvel?

It may go the way of spiderman, but i wonder if marvel would even be willing to push back more films in order to slot in a 3rd fantastic reboot

Neoxon

Welp, that's a disappointment.

Silver lining, more time for Resurrection F & The Gift. Maybe it's time for Fox to give the F4 rights back to Marvel.

BlazinAm

The helicopter thing was so dumb anyways.

They're a bunch of fucking scientists, right? Don't they know that ALL OBJECTS FALL AT THE SAME RATE. shove your stupid quip up your ass.

If they are the same weight. Sure.

Lagamorph

Damn, those aren't what I was expecting.

They really need to be just handed back to Marvel and left alone for a few years

Eggbok

I feel like this may be the outcome:

If it succeeds Fant4stic x X-Men.
If it fails X-Men x Fant4stic.

So probably not.

kswiston

It may go the way of spiderman, but i wonder if marvel would even be willing to push back more films in order to slot in a 3rd fantastic reboot

Probably not. But in the hypothetical scenario where they got FF back, they wouldn't need to push anything back. There's no rush to bring the property to the screen.

Wasn't it fairly obvious Fox just rushed this along despite production issues just to keep the license? The film has always given me those kinds of vibes.

Nevertheless I'll probably see it at some point. Good superhero movie, bad superhero movie, they're all action popcorn flicks in the end anyway.

After battling months of bad buzz, "Fantastic Four" emerges as a wounded animal of a superhero movie, only rarely showing flashes of the darker, more emotional breed of Marvel film it's trying to be.

It's not like MCU films themselves are either dark nor emotional :lol

Slayven

Probably not. But in the hypothetical scenario where they got FF back, they wouldn't need to push anything back. There's no rush to bring the property to the screen.

I see them inserting some of the good shit in other propeties. The Watchers in Guardians, and The Blue Area of the moon in Captain Marvel.

McBryBry

This doesn't surprise me. I was already off put by their big, awesome trailer scene being The Thing jumping out of a helicopter and blowing up a humvee. The fact that it isn't even in the movie certainly doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom