• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Xbox One S impressions from a lucky Norwegian

L.O.R.D

So I haven't really been keeping up with this revision but why does it not look as small as that one comparison image that appeared when the S was announced?

1924825_0.jpg

Or was that just a fake mockup?
it's the same with 3DS XL with "90% bigger screen".

gallery_2_40_22789.jpg

I think this image helps explain what hdr can do. This image shows how much more color will be presented on a TV capable of hdr. To note, The TV needs good hardware to support it, like FALD. It also helps show true deep black and bright whites from what I read too.

2949512.png

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Dolby vision supposedly is a little better, but hdr10 is the open format which 4k Blu-rays supports atm.*

Edit*

Hawk269

Happy to see people getting to grips with HDR. Its fantastic.

I agree. As I posted on the previous page, HDR movies was a game changer for me. While 4k was very nice improvement in movies over 1080p, the combination of HDR and 4k is truly breathtaking. I cannot wait to see what HDR gaming will look like.

shandy706

Why are people so hung up on the resize accuracy? I find it funny and rather silly. Pedantic.

Looks to be a good decrease, tempting. Love white.

Dominator

Why are people so hung up on the resize accuracy? I find it funny and rather silly. Pedantic.

Looks to be a good decrease, tempting. Love white.
I don't think it's pedantic at all when they themselves released that graphic. It's not a big deal but it's not pedantic.

I think this image helps explain what hdr can do. This image shows how much more color will be presented on a TV capable of hdr. To note, The TV needs good hardware to support it, like FALD. It also helps show true deep black and bright whites from what I read too.

2949512.png

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Dolby vision supposedly is a little better, but hdr10 is the open format which 4k Blu-rays supports atm.*

Edit*

You would be correct.

watership

Did MS hire new hardware designers this year? This is great looking stuff.

Remember this guy?

http://www.minimallyminimal.com/2012/7/3/the-next-microsoft.html

He shared his design ideas for MS openly. MS hired him.

He's been working at hardware and design language division since 2013 and was involved in the Xbox One S.

tjzq78q.png

Of note, he is heavily influenced by renowned Braun designer Dieter Rams. Many of the people in the Microsoft design group are. Just looking up Rams work you can clearly see the influences.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Remember this guy?

He's been working at hardware and design language division since 2013 and was involved in the Xbox One S.

tjzq78q.png

Of note, he is heavily influenced by renowned Braun designer Dieter Rams. Many of the people in the Microsoft design group are. Just looking up Rams work you can clearly see the influences.

Apple too.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Remember this guy?

tjzq78q.png

Now if only they let this design team design the OS as well.

This stopped me from buying 2016 Sony 4K TV.

When HDR mode kicks in, game mode is not usable and all picture modes are unavailable.

Which kind of defeats the purpose of HDR Gaming.

Just pick up a Vizio P Series (50 or 60 inch). HDR modes let you use GLL on it. No tests back on how well it works but the TV is already 19ms in all other modes with GLL enabled. Even if you have to use HDMI 1-4 it should still be below 30ms with GLL. That's pretty good, IMO.

Rich!

Just noticed that the white Bluetooth compatible pad releases on Tuesday here in the UK - placed an order with the Microsoft Store.

Will be using it with my PC. Interested to see what the physical differences are.

When HDR mode kicks in, game mode is not usable and all picture modes are unavailable.

Dark10x has said that DF is currently writing an article about HDR input latency, I would strongly suggest for that and other tests to come out before making a purchase if you plan on using HDR for games.

nordique

Looks very nice aesthetically, but the size difference isn't as great as I thought it would be...its just not worth spending more $ on what is essentially the exact same console.

Will wait for Scorpio

No lead-in trade-in special at GameStop, eh? No matter, don't need it.

Wonder if the 2TB model will get a temporary $50 price drop or a good bundle deal this fall/winter around the holidays.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Two different fields of study. You'll just get an iOS8 situation all over again. Hardware design guys trying to do UX and UI design isnt the best approach.
I mean not them fully designing the OS, that's probably true, but they should consult and say how they approach their design philosophy. Simple designs, flat and more faded colors or more neony or contrasty, types of fonts, background coloring, use of blur...etc.

Wonder if the 2TB model will get a temporary $50 price drop or a good bundle deal this fall/winter around the holidays.
I could see the 500GB being set at $249 with maybe even a game and a 4K BluRay movie the launch month of the PS4 Neo.

I wish MS would clarify. The only thing that makes sense is that taking away the power brink would bring it to a 40 % reduction. I don't care either way but just hoping maybe if MS does clarify ppl will stop bringing it up

Caayn

I have a 60inch JS7000. It's a beautiful tv.
Your TV supports HDR but it probably won't be able to produce a good HDR picture, due to the backlight. So don't expect to much from it.
it's the same with 3DS XL with "90% bigger screen".

gallery_2_40_22789.jpg
tumblr_mw3jqlYYfY1sl27r8o1_500.gif

Depends on the TV brand and model. My LG OLED allows the use of game mode during HDR playback, and it even allows me to disable the big post-processing culprit that causes a lot of input lag when it's enabled.

EvB

Remember this guy?

tjzq78q.png

Thanks for that insight, you really can see the influence
2009BX8551.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
No difference in the sound department compared to the XB1.

Was ready to get this on day one but changed my mind for this reason, decided to go with the Samsung 4K player instead. What an absolutely absurd oversight to release a 4K blu ray player and not include such a basic feature.

Impulsor

Was ready to get this on day one but changed my mind for this reason, decided to go with the Samsung 4K player instead. What an absolutely absurd oversight to release a 4K blu ray player and not include such a basic feature.

It only doesn't support Atmos right?

What is needed to get dolby atmos? I have a Home cinema currently, I assume I would have to get a new one that is comaptible with atmos.

Seriously, some people look for things to complain about. They like winding themselves up for some reason. It's an e3 promo video that isn't used anywhere else. they just brought it up to moan.
The only ones complaining or winding themselves up are you and other folk who don't seem to understand why Microsoft deserves some flak for this... ;)

YoshiMax

The 2tb is a limited run so I doubt it'll be discounted at all. It's the only one with the vertical stand also.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It only doesn't support Atmos right?

No, it does not. It doesn't support DTS X either which is also a big let down.

What is needed to get dolby atmos? I have a Home cinema currently, I assume I would have to get a new one that is comaptible with atmos.

Atmos/DTS: X compatible receiver and UHD player.

This is true, you would need to upgrade your receiver to decode an Atmos signal but you DO NOT need a UHD player. Any standard blu ray player that will send a lossless signal via bitstream is compatible with Atmos - which is nearly all of them. Since this has been a standard feature on all players for a decade, it's all the more puzzling that MS continues to ignore it. Even the 9-year old PS3 is Atmos compatible

and how many speakers would I need? I have a 5.1 setting currently.

This is not true, entry-level Atmos will work with 7 speakers AKA 7.1 or 5.2.1. A 9 channel reciever will cost about $2000 but a 7 channel Atmos receiver could be had for as little as $400. In a 7 channel Atmos setup the front height speakers will replace the 2 rear speakers.

watdaeff4

Looks very nice aesthetically, but the size difference isn't as great as I thought it would be...its just not worth spending more $ on what is essentially the exact same console.

Will wait for Scorpio

Yep and even with Scorpio (and Neo) I'm waiting until I get a 4K TV And a price drop and feedback if the upgrades are noticeable

grizzelye

Looking forward to August 2nd!

As soon as this was announced, brought a LG 55 E6, and as much 4K HDR Blu Rays as possible, and got a sub to Netflix (and in the future Amazon Prime). Marvel Luke Cage/Iron Fist/Defenders will be amazing! Marco Polo was just stunning in Dolby Vision.

Was hoping the Xbox One S would support Dolby Atmos too, but HDR should do for now :)

Hope more developers release games that support HDR .. just Forza Horizon 3 + Gears 4 at the moment?

Lima

This is not true, entry-level Atmos will work with 7 speakers AKA 7.1 or 5.2.1. A 9 channel reciever will cost about $2000 but a 7 channel Atmos receiver could be had for as little as $400. In a 7 channel Atmos setup the front height speakers will replace the 2 rear speakers.

If you are doing Atmos, do it right. Fuck that cheap ass shit and ghetto setups.

.2 should be standard anyway and your first priority as it improves bass so much it is not even funny.

And really to replicate anything that makes Atmos special you should have 9 speakers. Otherwise might as well don't even mention that the Xbox doesn't support Atmos, 7 channel linear PCM is just fine.

faridmon

"The console has been silent so far and is delicious dropping the external power supply."

I love online translations.

''deilig'' can mean sweet and delicious.

The problem with Google translate is that it disregards context completely.

''Using the console have been inaudible so far and its specially sweet that the external power supply have been dropped completely''

Top Bottom