• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Xbox One S impressions from a lucky Norwegian

Looking forward to August 2nd!

As soon as this was announced, brought a LG 55 E6, and as much 4K HDR Blu Rays as possible, and got a sub to Netflix (and in the future Amazon Prime). Marvel Luke Cage/Iron Fist/Defenders will be amazing! Marco Polo was just stunning in Dolby Vision.

Was hoping the Xbox One S would support Dolby Atmos too, but HDR should do for now :)

Hope more developers release games that support HDR .. just Forza Horizon 3 + Gears 4 at the moment?
Scalebound too I think.

pitchfork

Do you think developers will patch older games to take advantage of HDR?

I'm clueless when it comes to what this would require or how difficult it would be, so forgive me if its a daft question!

Lima

I'm clueless when it comes to what this would require or how difficult it would be, so forgive me if its a daft question!

I doubt it. It's a lot of work and might not even work without some extensive changes to your engine.

I have read somewhere that if a game uses Physically Based Rendering that it already has the necessary information to output in HDR. Should be easy for new games to implement, but no idea about patches for old games.

Also no idea what the correlation between PBR and HDR is.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If you are doing Atmos, do it right. Fuck that cheap ass shit and ghetto setups.

.2 should be standard anyway and your first priority as it improves bass so much it is not even funny.

And really to replicate anything that makes Atmos special you should have 9 speakers. Otherwise might as well don't even mention that the Xbox doesn't support Atmos, 7 channel linear PCM is just fine.

He asked what the requirements were and you gave him incorrect information. Also, Ghetto setups? Your talking about thousands in the price difference here as if it's no big deal. If you are actually serious then this is one of the most ignorant posts I have seen here in a while.

And Atmos still sounds pretty decent even on a lowly 5.2.1 setup.

pitchfork

I have read somewhere that if a game uses Physically Based Rendering that it already has the necessary information to output in HDR. Should be easy for new games to implement, but no idea about patches for old games.

Also no idea what the correlation between PBR and HDR is.

Yeah, was kinda wondering if some of the more recent releases might have been developed with HDR in mind at some point. Again though, I'm absolutely clueless on this kind of thing, Lol!

PaRappa

Isnt the white perforated casing going to get very icky and yellowy over time? It looks nice new but I dont think it will stay that way.

Rich!

Isnt the white perforated casing going to get very icky and yellowy over time? It looks nice new but I dont think it will stay that way.

I have no idea what you do with, or in the proximity of, your consoles but I own numerous consoles that are white that have never gone yellow or sticky over the years.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Maybe back in the 90's, the materials they use nowadays are far more UV resistant so it should hold up just fine.

PaRappa

Maybe back in the 90's, the materials they use nowadays are far more UV resistant so it should hold up just fine.

Yeah I was concerned about bromine oxidation. I have had white PS4 for probably 2yrs and it still look perfect. Snes not so much it might just be a matter of time. I would have preferred a black or a coloured option, anything but white really. I like to keep my consoles for years.

aaronwt

This stopped me from buying 2016 Sony 4K TV.

When HDR mode kicks in, game mode is not usable and all picture modes are unavailable.

Which kind of defeats the purpose of HDR Gaming.

But the lag is still supposedly under 70ms outside of game mode. At least for my 2015 Sony set that is supposed to be the case. With Game mode it's still 39ms. Which has caused me no issues with any games on the PS4 or XBOne. I don't expect a 70ms lag with HDR to cause me any issues either.

Rich!

Yeah I was concerned about bromine oxidation. I have had white PS4 for probably 2yrs and it still look perfect. Snes not so much it might just be a matter of time. I would have preferred a black or a coloured option, anything but white really. I like to keep my consoles for years.

No, that's a situation that's exclusive to the type of plastic used for the SNES. And even then, it was only certain batches and not a guaranteed outcome. Many consoles have pieces from batches that are of a "dodgy" mix, and parts that do not have the issue:

Oxidized-snes.jpg

img_0020.jpg

My own Super Famicom Jr has absolutely no discolouration...apart from the buttons - and they weren't white to begin with:

6SDIaTdl.jpg

This is basically a complete non-issue for every other white console since.

aaronwt

I wish MS would clarify. The only thing that makes sense is that taking away the power brink would bring it to a 40 % reduction. I don't care either way but just hoping maybe if MS does clarify ppl will stop bringing it up

Nothing to clarify. It's pretty obvious it's 40% smaller. The XBOne Slim includes a built in power supply. So to do an apple to apple comparison it needs to be compared to the size of the XBOne fat along with it's power supply.

aaronwt

Was ready to get this on day one but changed my mind for this reason, decided to go with the Samsung 4K player instead. What an absolutely absurd oversight to release a 4K blu ray player and not include such a basic feature.

No different than releasing a BD player without bitstreaming like they did in 2013. Although for 99.9% of the people, no bitstreaming capability will make zero difference. For the .1% of people that actually use an Atmos setup, they would get a stand alone UHD BD player instead.. FOr the 99.9% people playing the Advanced audio codecs and lower, they are perfectly fine. Since the XBOne will decode everything and output in up to 7.1 pcm.

I have the Samsung K8500 UHD BD player. Even after I get my XBOne S I will continue to use the stand alone UHD BD player. Just like with BD playback, the XBOne is one of the last devices I would use for BD playback. The only device worse is the 2013 PS4 with it's loud disc transport.

Markitron

No different than releasing a BD player without bitstreaming like they did in 2013. Although for 99.9% of the people, no bitstreaming capability will make zero difference. For the .1% of people that actually use an Atmos setup, they would get a stand alone BD player instead.. FOr the 99.9% people playing the Advanced audio codecs and lower, they are perfectly fine. Since the XBOne will decode everything and output in up to 7.1 pcm.

I have the Samsung K8500 UHD BD player. Even after I get my XBOne S I will continue to use the stand alone UHD BD player. Just like with BD playback, the XBOne is one of the last devices I would use for BD playback. The only device worse is the 2013 PS4 with it's loud disc transport.

I have seen lots of people make this argument, but the % of people that would use it isn't the point. It's such a basic feature that every player should have, it's just negligent of MS to not include it, particularly when they are targeting high-end users in the first place. It was inexcusable to not include it in the original XB1, even more so with this revision.

Also the first generation of any new tech is something I always like to avoid, the players out there right now are overpriced for what they are. I wouldn't use a console as a player normally either but The XB1 S would have tided me over nicely until the 2nd wave of players arrive next year.

CCIE

Banned
No Atmos support is a complete non-starter. Even cheap-ass to mid-range receivers support that feature these days. Its just one of the reasons no serious theater person could use this box for 4K movies. I've personally dubbed it the "redneck" 4K machine. UHD for those who really can't afford to implement it properly ;)

I'd never use the PS4 for these things either, just so people don't think I'm being a Sony zealot

But the lag is still supposedly under 70ms outside of game mode. At least for my 2015 Sony set that is supposed to be the case. With Game mode it's still 39ms. Which has caused me no issues with any games on the PS4 or XBOne. I don't expect a 70ms lag with HDR to cause me any issues either.

I thought anything over 50ms was considered pretty bad so 70 is not exactly that great.

Unless I have wrong info 70ms is pretty high.

CCIE

Banned
Markitron - you say MS is targeting high end users, but I would disagree. UHD will be pretty common this next year, and honestly not a single high end user I know would buy this except to play games. It's not a high-end box at all when it comes to theater. Great that the mid-market can finally experience HDR though so kudos to those who do buy it

Markitron

Markitron - you say MS is targeting high end users, but I would disagree. UHD will be pretty common this next year, and honestly not a single high end user I know would buy this except to play games. It's not a high-end box at all when it comes to theater

It depends on how you define high-end user. In this case I consider myself one (as I have a 4K TV and an Atmos setup) and I wanted it for UHD's until the second wave of players arrives next year. I really didn't want to have to buy the Samsung, I doubt I am the only one.

CCIE

Banned
Can agree with that. I have the Samsung and it has its benefits, as well as its problems. It's just a stopgap for me at this time. I originally thought about the S, until the Scorpio was announced half an hour later, and the lack of key features.

It will be interesting to see if it sells decently.

Markitron

Can agree with that. I have the Samsung and it has its benefits, as well as its problems. It's just a stopgap for me at this time. I originally thought about the S, until the Scorpio was announced half an hour later, and the lack of key features.

It will be interesting to see if it sells decently.

I have to ask, what issues do you have with the Samsung? Mine isn't arriving until Tuesday and the reviews seem mixed to me.

aaronwt

I have to ask, what issues do you have with the Samsung? Mine isn't arriving until Tuesday and the reviews seem mixed to me.

For me, I've been using the Samsung for almost six months now. Since around February 10th. Any issues I've run into have been very minor.

aaronwt

I thought anything over 50ms was considered pretty bad so 70 is not exactly that great.

Unless I have wrong info 70ms is pretty high.

No idea I'll find out soon. The only thing I tried was putting my Sony Tv in HDR mode. And I played a match of Black Ops 3. I had no issues during the entire match. So hopefully I won't have any issues with an actual HDR game.

Caayn

No idea I'll find out soon. The only thing I tried was putting my Sony Tv in HDR mode. And I played a match of Black Ops 3. I had no issues during the entire match. So hopefully I won't have any issues with an actual HDR game.
How did you manually enter HDR mode?

THE:MILKMAN

There is indeed a die shrink:

8any0qqrq8cx.png

From reddit, Mike Ybarra on the Xbox Discord channel.

Interesting. I wonder why they hadn't mentioned it up to now? You would think it using lower power and being as quiet or quieter would be a selling point. All previous slim 360 and PS3 did.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I use grey with max transparency and its pretty light
No I'm talking about how the Groove app for example has a light theme, so white background, but the Store and Settings don't offer a light theme and have black backgrounds. It would be nice with the S release if they offer a light theme for system wide.

shoreu

No I'm talking about how the Groove app for example has a light theme, so white background, but the Store and Settings don't offer a light theme and have black backgrounds. It would be nice with the S release if they offer a light theme for system wide.
Oh ok I get what you're saying

SOR5

The HDMI cable that comes with the S is 4K compatible, ya?

I really think so, its one of the main drives of the system and to tell them the inexpensive accessory that helps achieve whatever they want isnt bundled in will be annoying.

Then again, 360 wireless adapters

etta

my hard graphic balls
I really think so, its one of the main drives of the system and to tell them the inexpensive accessory that helps achieve whatever they want isnt bundled in will be annoying.

Then again, 360 wireless adapters
No they already said it's full 4K/60Hz cable.

Top Bottom