• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 06/28/16

Moaradin

Wow they sure are being petty about this SFV stuff. Of course they would give the game shit for being literally 1 day late with the update. And undersell the fact that Balrog is coming a month earlier than expected.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, the SFV complaints for this one were pretty hollow. I've been pretty consistent with my bagging on the game until now with Capcom's numerous mishandlings, but everything about the upcoming update sounds fantastic and the "it missed June" argument was only something people were joking about, considering the number of stuff we're getting and the fact that it's just July 1st.

People who are actually invested in the game are happy about what's coming, not upset like with everything else that has been happening with SFV. Surprised to hear that Jason would somehow be upset about it, too.

I feel like I learned more than I wanted to about Inside just from the little bit I listened to before skipping.
"Oh, it gets so much deeper than you think..."
Gee, think maybe that's intended to be a bit of a surprise? It's also kind of hard to hide behind the "well it was shown in pre-release coverage" on a game that no one knew ANYTHING about prior to about two weeks ago.

HvySky

It wouldn't be a Bombcast without Brad spoiling a game on the day before it comes out. We love ya, Shoemaker. Never change.

i know Dan is a notorious food criminal but his mac and cheese talk is a new low for me. it's one of the easiest dishes to make from scratch but he's repping Stouffer's.

Are "statement" pickups trucks just a South thing? You mean, people actually use their F-350s in other parts of the country, rather than slapping a few NRA and hunting stickers on them and calling it a day?

HvySky

He didn't tho.

Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I was going off the thread more than anything. I'll probably jump past that point when I do listen, regardless; I'm already sold on Inside, don't need to know anything more about it.

KingKong

i know Dan is a notorious food criminal but his mac and cheese talk is a new low for me. it's one of the easiest dishes to make from scratch but he's repping Stouffer's.

It's really something that they all live in San Francisco and still do nothing but discuss national fast food chains every week

Grisby

Umbrella Corps getting a bit ripped. I need to go watch that QL.

Also, my love of the RE lore is how I imagine Dan feels about MGS canon.
I thought Stouffer's was supposed to be good quality. Granted, I'm not a aficionado.

Mupod

spoilerbrad got me with UC4 a few weeks ago. They did give a warning but I can't do a damn thing about it because I'm listening to it in my car and the controls are on my phone.

Street Fighter V is this year's Destiny on the podcast. Very little of substance, repeating of the same criticisms and then it coming up time and time again despite the circular nature of the 'discussion'.

It sometimes feels like what happened last week or even two weeks prior is completely erased as soon as they leave the recording studio.

BstnRich

Hearing Dan be shocked to learn about private prisons was painful, but his defense of garbage food is unforgivable.

Eat a fucking piece of fruit, Dan.

In fact, we should brigade Dan's mailbox with pieces of fruit and vegetables. Maybe even throw in some multivitamins. This is for your own good, Dan.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Street Fighter V is this year's Destiny on the podcast. Very little of substance, repeating of the same criticisms and then it coming up time and time again despite the circular nature of the 'discussion'.

It sometimes feels like what happened last week or even two weeks prior is completely erased as soon as they leave the recording studio.
Yeah but they had several people actually playing Destiny and Brad following its updates very closely. Can't say the same here.

edit:
It just dawned one me...is Street Fighter V the Driveclub of fighting games?

Jintor

i don't really mind the private prisons thing. it's not really a thing on most people's radar. he should learn about it tho. hell, i should

FluxWaveZ

Well, usually there are new developments that can be brought up to deservedly point and laugh at SFV. The new developments this time, though, aren't as deserving of that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I think it's fair that they provided new commentary on new news but the substance (and knowledge) was certainly lacking.

Hearing Dan be shocked to learn about private prisons was painful, but his defense of garbage food is unforgivable.

Eat a fucking piece of fruit, Dan.

In fact, we should brigade Dan's mailbox with pieces of fruit and vegetables. Maybe even throw in some multivitamins. This is for your own good, Dan.
I know people get off on feeling superior to Dan (the same people who still haven't come to terms that this is a person who intentionally plays up parts of his personality and talks aloud/without a filter for entertainment on a podcast) but if you think the idea/concept of private prisons is a widely known thing and/or that even those that know about it could talk about it with some greater depth you're mistaken. It's not widely known or discussed in the public space in any meaningful way.

Dan's been with GB for 2 years and people still give a fuck about his eating habits to describe them as 'unforgivable'.
Yeah but they had several people actually playing Destiny and Brad following its updates very closely. Can't say the same here.

edit:
It just dawned one me...is Street Fighter V the Driveclub of fighting games?
Thankfully this discussion hasn't reached Destiny levels of dead horse beating but we're definitely on our way.

No_Style

Wow they sure are being petty about this SFV stuff. Of course they would give the game shit for being literally 1 day late with the update. And undersell the fact that Balrog is coming a month earlier than expected.

This was surprising to be honest. It's just a day and they're offering more this month than any other. Now if they don't provide any update for the month of July, that's a little disappointing but still... Unless they're rushing out characters, I have no problem with this.

Wait they hate Cheetos puffs wtf

They're not alone. I feel like I'm eating garbage covered with "cheese" dust. The entire Cheetos lineup is gross, to be honest.

Moofers

Its been a real bummer hearing these guys kind of shit on the RE7 demo the last couple of weeks. They still don't know about the helicopter photo in the attic with the umbrella logo, apparently. Last week they were speculating about Umbrella being in RE7 and this week they're saying the same stuff. It gives me the impression they didn't play the demo more than once or even read into what other people were saying about it. They didn't say anything about it this week, but last week they didn't know about the Ghost Girl in the VHS world either.

I mean how do they not know the game was absolutely on fire for a hot week or so on both Reddit and GAF? There was a pretty big stir as people were trying to figure out the use for the finger and the axe, as well as those discoveries of the hidden room nobody has been able to get into as of yet.

Its fine to not like the demo, I'm just surprised they didn't seem to give it much of a shot or any follow-up. Its like the hype and buzz completely missed them somehow.

convo

Yeah, the SFV complaints for this one were pretty hollow. I've been pretty consistent with my bagging on the game until now with Capcom's numerous mishandlings, but everything about the upcoming update sounds fantastic and the "it missed June" argument was only something people were joking about, considering the number of stuff we're getting and the fact that it's just July 1st.

People who are actually invested in the game are happy about what's coming, not upset like with everything else that has been happening with SFV. Surprised to hear that Jason would somehow be upset about it, too.

Yeah Brad somehow calling Jason a "SFV apologizer". I would like to hear more from Jason who actually played part of the story dlc and has things to say about that and the game he played and is not just farting out words and coasting on a month old bandwagon.
They could have talked about Guilty Gear revelator and it would have been as insightful and informative as this SF-talk,as in nothing at all that could matter , with the only difference of Jeff watching CEO2016 and talking about that.

Its been a real bummer hearing these guys kind of shit on the RE7 demo the last couple of weeks. They still don't know about the helicopter photo in the attic with the umbrella logo, apparently. Last week they were speculating about Umbrella being in RE7 and this week they're saying the same stuff. It gives me the impression they didn't play the demo more than once or even read into what other people were saying about it. They didn't say anything about it this week, but last week they didn't know about the Ghost Girl in the VHS world either.

I mean how do they not know the game was absolutely on fire for a hot week or so on both Reddit and GAF? There was a pretty big stir as people were trying to figure out the use for the finger and the axe, as well as those discoveries of the hidden room nobody has been able to get into as of yet.

Its fine to not like the demo, I'm just surprised they didn't seem to give it much of a shot or any follow-up. Its like the hype and buzz completely missed them somehow.

Unfortunately, that's a very common thing for them to do as a group. They claim to have some interest in a particular game or franchise, they barely touch it upon release and are put off by a thing or two and then they dismiss the game entirely and claim everybody else on the internet agrees with them. See : RE, Zelda, Street Fighter, etc.

I like them all as individuals but the groupthink on the bombcast is pretty infuriating these days, thank god for the beastcast even though Austin will be sorely missed.

kadotsu

Banned
We would be talking very differently about SFV if it was released the same state as it was but digital only with a "Competitive Edition" qualifier. The retail release should have been at EVO with the content of July.

This and spending any dev time on the Zeny system were Capcom's biggest mistakes.

convo

Street Fighter talk on the bombcast/beastcast without Jason is less thought out and worthwhile than Dan's culinary palette.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Unfortunately, that's a very common thing for them to do as a group. They claim to have some interest in a particular game or franchise, they barely touch it on release and are put off by a thing or two and then they dismiss the game entirely and claim everybody else on the internet agrees with them. See : RE, Zelda, Street Fighter, etc.

I like them all as individuals but the groupthink on the bombcast is pretty infuriating these days, thank god for the beastcast even though Austin will be sorely missed.
Totally agreed.

Totally agreed.

It's the real hole Ryan and Vinny have left not being here.

Ryan would never let someone get away on bullshit, and Vinny's optimism and affable views on things were always a great counter to the Jeff's humorous cynicism. Brad was also better just being able to talk about what he was playing and that was it, he seems way too eager to talk crap about games he just isn't playing, or honestly, probably doesn't even care about.

I'm sad he probably won't talk more in depth about Inside, Brad's insights to games that really capture him are great.

Still.... will probably never stop listening to the Bombcast.

Chuck

Still without luck
Did Brad seriously try to grill Dan on what Greenwich mean time meant to laugh at him...

...and then follow it up with not know what mean means?

Lmao

Nevermind Inside spoilers, I'm reeling from the shock that Dan is the only person at the table that knows what a "mean" is.

After the mean talk, and the discussion of the First World War when B1 was announced, I think they all do really. Dan just isn't afraid of admitting it. It makes me sad that Austin's leaving because he had interests outside of trash culture (not that there's anything wrong with that, but it can get one note sometimes).

Having the first 20 minutes be another deep dive on fast food and Dan's Taco Bell field trip had this sink in a lot harder this week.

It's rough, what Austin brought to the feel of the beastcast made me it more clear the bombcast has been stale for a while (to me at least). Might also just not be for me anymore, although I think it does have a lot to do with Dan.

It's the real hole Ryan and Vinny have left not being here.

Ryan would never let someone get away on bullshit, and Vinny's optimism and affable views on things were always a great counter to the Jeff's humorous cynicism. Brad was also better just being able to talk about what he was playing and that was it, he seems way too eager to talk crap about games he just isn't playing, or honestly, probably doesn't even care about.

I'm sad he probably won't talk more in depth about Inside, Brad's insights to games that really capture him are great.

Still.... will probably never stop listening to the Bombcast.

I appreciate you guys airing your opinions on this because I absolutely agree. Unlike with the Beastcast I feel like I need timestamps before listening to the show nowadays. And I love Dan for the record.

Dimmle

I've never been tested by a podcast so much as during their basic stats discussion in the first five minutes. Otherwise, great fast food takes!

Joey Ravn

Banned
I used to think Jeff Gerstmann was a cool duder. Then I heard him talk about Resident Evil 4.

... now I think he's the coolest duder. I really dislike that game.

Yeah Brad somehow calling Jason a "SFV apologizer". I would like to hear more from Jason who actually played part of the story dlc and has things to say about that and the game he played and is not just farting out words and coasting on a month old bandwagon.
They could have talked about Guilty Gear revelator and it would have been as insightful and informative as this SF-talk,as in nothing at all that could matter , with the only difference of Jeff watching CEO2016 and talking about that.

Jason is a SF5 apologist in the sense that he tends to generally dismiss complaints/issues with things like "but the fighting is so good"

Hes not a total apologist who is blind to the issues but his view of the game and Brad/Dan's are totally different. Jeff is somewhere in the middle but leaning toward Brad and Dan cause he has no time for Capcoms bs.

Top Bottom