• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 07/21/15

I just cannot understand how Dan thinks 3D Land and World is some kind of "side thing" - they are the new style of Mario games. 3D World is only multiplayer in the same was the NSMBWii games were - insane and kind of unplayable. Both are fantastic single player games that have tried to find that middle ground between the "3D Platformer" era, and the "2D Platformer" era.

If anything, they just ground the Galaxy games in a more retro infused, nostalgic setting and add a run button. Perhaps a little too far, what with the Tanooki suit playing a kind of too big of a role in the game.

There are a lot of people who dismiss the NSMB console games as "just for multiplayer" for some reason, when gameplay-wise I honestly think they easily earn their keep as mainline 2D Marios alongside 3 and World.

No_Style

Haha @ complaints about 2 hour Bombcasts. Remember when Ryan cut out the Nintendo new releases in order to keep under 2.5 hours?

EmCeeGramr is alive! I had a Beastcast thread question & sent it via PM.

Do people not make threads for the beastcast? I can't find any threads for the later episodes.

I'm asking for clarification on the matter. Needs to be rectified to be honest. Some great discussion spawns from it but it gets lost in the big thread :/

Do people not make threads for the beastcast? I can't find any threads for the later episodes.

I'm asking for clarification on the matter. Needs to be rectified to be honest. Some great discussion spawns from it but it gets lost in the big thread :/

There were threads for the first few episodes then they just stopped. Not sure why they stopped to be honest...

If I had the technical prowess I would do it but, sadly I am not htat good.
Thank fucking god.

There was no one else to keep the Wrestling, PSO, Gundam talk in line. This podcast needs Brad back.
I don't like the wrestling talk and I wouldn't mind PSO and Gundam talk...if they knew what they were talking about.

Vlitra

Banned
No Brad makes this a good podcast by default. No amount of Drew can ruin that.

Just joking. They are ok sometimes.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
There are a lot of people who dismiss the NSMB console games as "just for multiplayer" for some reason, when gameplay-wise I honestly think they easily earn their keep as mainline 2D Marios alongside 3 and World.

Damn right, NSMB Wii is one of the best 2d marios alongside World and 3.

JackelZXA

I just cannot understand how Dan thinks 3D Land and World is some kind of "side thing" - they are the new style of Mario games. 3D World is only multiplayer in the same was the NSMBWii games were - insane and kind of unplayable. Both are fantastic single player games that have tried to find that middle ground between the "3D Platformer" era, and the "2D Platformer" era.

If anything, they just ground the Galaxy games in a more retro infused, nostalgic setting and add a run button. Perhaps a little too far, what with the Tanooki suit playing a kind of too big of a role in the game.

Dan has a naturally dismissive attitude towards things, even though he SAYS he that doesn't he actually super does most of the time, and he doesn't think things through. He's still a fun guy and makes good content, but god damn he can be dumb sometimes. I think it's two podcasts in a row now of everyone explaining to him how 3D Land and World were amazing and every bit as big of a game as the Galaxies were.

Every time Dan brings up that shitty jetpack being "the best powerup ever" I just want to grab him by the shoulder and list off every floating powerup in every 2D and 3D Mario game and how the waterpack was nothing special and probably hampered the level design. About the only good levels from that game, and I'm surprised it hasn't come up on the cast, are the levels where they take the jetpack AWAY.

Jeff's thing about how "Just throw out everything from 64 and make something actually new" was great. You don't need stars, you don't need big wander around islands, you don't need hubs, you don't need butt stomps. Personally, I think the 3D's were great because they really pushed Mario 3D gameplay back into twitch based action style.

erawsd

Dan has a naturally dismissive attitude towards things, even though he SAYS he that doesn't he actually fucking does, and he doesn't think things through. He's still a fun guy and makes good content, but god damn he can be dumb sometimes. I think it's two podcasts in a row now of everyone explaining to him how 3D Land and World were amazing and every bit as big of a game as the Galaxies were.

Every time Dan brings up that shitty jetpack being "the best powerup ever" I just want to grab him by the shoulder and list off every floating powerup in every 2D and 3D Mario game and how the waterpack was nothing special and probably hampered the level design. About the only good levels from that game, and I'm surprised it hasn't come up on the cast, are the levels where they take the jetpack AWAY.

Jeff's thing about how "Just throw out everything from 64 and make something actually new" was great. You don't need stars, you don't need big wander around islands, you don't need hubs, you don't need butt stomps. Personally, I think the 3D's were great because they really pushed Mario 3D gameplay back into twitch based action style.

I don't think Dan is at all being dismissive of 3D World. He said he loved it -- hell, besides maybe Jason, hes probably the only person in the room that would say that or has spent more than 20 minutes playing it. He simply wants something structured more like 64 and Galaxy and, based on a lot of the reactions people around here had to 3D World, hes definitely not alone in thinking that way.

Fjordson

I don't get it. Doesn't Dan love those games...? How is he being dismissive or dumb?

I haven't gotten to that discussion on this episode yet, but I feel like in the past when this comes up he's just stated that he would like a brand new console Mario. Seems reasonable.

JackelZXA

I don't think Dan is at all being dismissive of 3D World. He said he loved it -- hell, besides maybe Jason, hes probably the only person in the room that would say that or has spent more than 20 minutes playing it. He simply wants something structured more like 64 and Galaxy and, based on a lot of the reactions people around here had to 3D World, hes definitely not alone in thinking that way.

For me its just the overgeneralization of throwing those games in a lesser tier. "That's just a multiplayer thing" I played that game in singleplayer and it was like Mario 3 in 3D. It's weird how much Jeff had to drill into him about the old nes marios compared to the 3D star-collection games. Again, I like Dan, but I feel like he can turn on a dime and say something based entirely on personal bias that's dumb and makes no sense. :(

erawsd

For me its just the overgeneralization of throwing those games in a lesser tier. "That's just a multiplayer thing" I played that game in singleplayer and it was like Mario 3 in 3D. It's weird how much Jeff had to drill into him about the old nes marios compared to the 3D star-collection games. Again, I like Dan, but I feel like he can turn on a dime and say something based entirely on personal bias that's dumb and makes no sense. :(

What exactly did Jeff have to drill into him about the old games? Jeff said they should get rid of stars because the old games didn't need them, Dan says he likes stars and the hub world. I didn't sense any "drilling" in that exchange. In fact, when Jeff says they should bring back the flag pole and Dan says that 3D world did have that, Jeff is the one that dismisses it as a multiplayer game.

Seems that without Brad on the podcast, the conversations are short but Dan and Drew are more likely to contribute. I guess because him and Jeff are basically are another level in these in depth conversations that it's hard for all of them to jump in.

Anyway, good podcast but if I was grading this shit I would deduct a mark for the lack of watchaplayin', news, and email time music. Sloppy work, Jeff.

P.S. I'm gonna ask Dan if he plays any of the Mario Golf or Hotshots golf games. I'm surprised he's never mentioned them in his golf talks.

Best Bombcast in so long, Jeff really needs to keep hosting. Brad just doesn't give room to insane tangents and the space to create such an instantly quotable podcast like this week's, I was dying laughing this entire 'cast. Also if we're never gonna get another Power Bombcast (even though Lucha Underground is on literal fire right now) I think more room needs to be given to wrasslin' talk.

hamchan

Best Bombcast in so long, Jeff really needs to keep hosting. Brad just doesn't give room to insane tangents and the space to create such an instantly quotable podcast like this week's, I was dying laughing this entire 'cast. Also if we're never gonna get another Power Bombcast (even though Lucha Underground is on literal fire right now) I think more room needs to be given to wrasslin' talk.

Nah, we've been through this before. He's good once in a while. Over an extended period, not so much. The hosting duties changed to Brad for a reason after all.

It was a better episode than recent weeks despite the wrestling garbage. Tangents are the best parts of gaming podcasts otherwise it ends up sounding like a regurgitation of the previous week's headlines. The PanAm bit was hilarious.

I think they are all burned out by E3 because it seems to have been nothing but negativity about everything lately. I really hope that fades because it is a bummer. I find myself liking the Beastcast instead because they (Vinny) can find humor in things.

Jeff needs to stop whining about how dumb traditional TV is and finally cancel his DirecTV. It seems to be a weekly segment at this point.

Jamie OD

Not everyone is a fan of hockey, wasn't engaged into that convo at all.

What you don't like hockey goal sirens that get played ever-BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Hey! Hey! Hey! Let's go Bomb-ers! Hey! Hey! Hey!

-ytime somebody scores?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so glad they made Beastcast.

i could never get into Bombcast properly, but the shorter time, the lack of wrestling talk, the NYC focus and the inclusion of Austin Walker has made Beastcast a home run.

i love his regular nods to issues regarding minorities, and his bit on the Batgirl DLC this week was no exception.

i would like to see a female perspective on the show as well, even if only in the "rotating" guest seat.

i am upset they forget to mention NYCFC :(

Chuck

Still without luck
Hey emcee, congrats on being in joe dirt 2 spiritually.

I did some light googling. There might be some pictures.
EDIT: Archival footage found.

UTCmTFQ.jpg

Luke_Wal

so glad they made Beastcast.

i could never get into Bombcast properly, but the shorter time, the lack of wrestling talk, the NYC focus and the inclusion of Austin Walker has made Beastcast a home run.

i love his regular nods to issues regarding minorities, and his bit on the Batgirl DLC this week was no exception.

i would like to see a female perspective on the show as well, even if only in the "rotating" guest seat.

i am upset they forget to mention NYCFC :(

Who was that chick that was appearing in a lot of Vinny and Alex's early stuff? Was it Zoe Quinn? Having her as a fifth voice would be cool, but I don't know if I would want her replacing anybody currently on the cast. I do wish they could figure out a way to avoid the hard cutoff time, though, because I think it limits the show. But yeah, Beastcast has become my favorite GB podcast.

Top Bottom