• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[golem.de with Shawn Layden] Sony bets on real PS 5 instead of console revolution

Shin

Banned
But, but... 8K!

Depending on how successful Tokyo 2020 will be in pushing the 8k into the mainstream, it will probably become more available and reasonably-priced several years after that. UHD console makers would want to jump on that bandwagon with faux-/true-8K solutions once the technology allows it at consumer prices.

That's probably like PS7 or later, Japan/South Korea is in a world of their own in terms of technology/internet speed.

gtj1092

Good to hear them say it but no real surprise.

"No mores Gens!" concept was in trouble when the Pro had a lukewarm reception.

It was dead the moment MS announced that the XboneX was $499.

Sony always maintained there would still be generations and the pro is selling to expectations. The xone x will too. They aren't replacement consoles.

But, but... 8K!

Depending on how successful Tokyo 2020 will be in pushing the 8k into the mainstream, it will probably become more available and reasonably-priced several years after that. UHD console makers would want to jump on that bandwagon with faux-/true-8K solutions once the technology allows it at consumer prices.

8k...... Not even a PC could run a modern game at 8k, 4k is just getting started. It will probably be a long time after 2020 before 8k is even close to mainstream. PS6 or 7 would be looking at 8k solutions but PS5 and next gen Xbox will be 4k systems.

Even then a lot of people might still be on 1080p TV's.

AmyS

I'd much prefer to have ray tracing and other similar / related rendering techniques in games, than 8K resolution.

4K resolution will be plenty good enough for gaming on a flat TV through 2030. What is needed is more complex graphics, lighting, etc. In other words, actual graphics improvement, not pixel density.

(VR is a whole different story)

Carn82

I'm really looking forward to the first real, proper Raven Ridge benchmarks. They should provide a good indication of what we can expect for PS5 / Xbox 'Next'.

I'm not interested in 8K and only lukewarm on 4K.

I would rather have rock solid 60FPS minimum for all games and proper living, breathing worlds where everything you see can be interacted with. Can you imagine being able to go into every building and every room in GTA?

I'd also like better AI, more realistic damage models for both environment and characters.

Once all that is nailed down, then we can look at making it prettier.

I'm not interested in 8K and only lukewarm on 4K.

I would rather have rock solid 60FPS minimum for all games and proper living, breathing worlds where everything you see can be interacted with. Can you imagine being able to go into every building and every room in GTA?

Of course I can, but can you imagine how much effort => costs that would produce? Rockstar is probably the only dev w/ enough resources to pull of such a stunt move.

That said, let's not forget about the elephant in the room: The more power consoles get, the more complex it is for devs to exploit those resources, hence overall development costs incease once again. This maybe offset this time by choosing a very similar system architecture and dev tools, so that the transition can be as smooth as possible.

At the end of the day, devs will choose once again what to do with all that power. A resolution boost is actually the easiest feat to accomplish. Better textures isn't that big of a deal, either.

Nope, what I hope for is that the power of the next-gen consoles is not only utilized to offer higher resolutions or framerates, but for stuff like really sophisticated AI and other non-graphic-related content simply not possible on current gen consoles.

I also hope for a second generation PSVR set w/ at the very least 2x 4k displays powered by PS5. Because this is when the VR party actually gets started.

Sony always have a specific event called a Playtstation Meeting when announcing new hardware. New hardware deserves its own unique platform IMO, and it's one Sony appear to share.
Well aware and PSX didn't exist last time they announced a new platform. Just an idea, not something that needs to be corrected.

dr_rus

i guess that can also apply to conventional PC components too? I wonder what will happen

Yes, but there are no "generations" in conventional PC components so they may introduce smaller upgrades over the course of a year - kinda like what Intel was doing for the last ten years or so.

Digital Foundry did a video about 'simulating' 8K with 1080 Ti SLI. Yeah, the games were not stable but with better support and other rendering techniques, I don't see why it won't be doable in 6-7 years with the mid-gen refresh.

8K Gaming With GTX 1080 Ti SLI! Can We Hit 60fps?
YouTube - Apr 29, 2017

The first 4K TVs were released 5 years ago just a year prior to current HD gen. 4K on a single card on PC wasn't achievable until fairly recently. 8K monitors and TVs are already here.

Shin

Banned
Studying the whole VRAM situation it seems 16Gb will be enough for 4K, 12-13GB after OS.
Probably 16x 1Gb's clam-shell or 8x2Gb single sided, assuming it's GDDR6 for now we would have a 512-bit bus 1024GB/s of bandwidth (realistically 960Gb/s)
I'm guessing 2Gb sticks (10.8v less) due to heat and for the sake of keeping the box small.
CPU probably won't cost them more than $50 looking at the prices of previous generations and what a Jaguar CPU costed ($45).
In other words they could go batshitcrazy with the GPU (hopefully they don't ignore the CPU side even with VRR being available) and nail a $399 price point.
14-16TF isn't out of the realm of possibilities, pretty sure they are taking a hit on PS4 Slim of around $50, they could do the same with PS5.

All about services in the end and where the big money is, if not then something like 12TF at $399 will have to suffice until Pro.

This is too early. I need 5 more years before we start talking about the next generation. I'm not hungry for more power.

Yup.

I still find my jaw hanging open while playing Horizon: ZD.

This gen hit a sweet spot for me in terms of performance that I would like to keep around for a while. My wallet nor my mind needs more.

AmyS

It's not like there's perfect scaling here. Even with good SLI support scaling for 2 cards is never 100%. And the more cards you add the worse the scaling becomes. It's very possible the 4th card only adds another 20-30%.

Yep, I know.

That's why, a hypothetical system of any sort (PC, arcade machine, console, workstation, etc) with a 44 TFLOP GPU and with software targeting that kind of spec would totally destroy that example. You could get away with 1080p or even 4K cb and put that massive GPU toward graphics that look more like high-end CGI

Square Enix threw together very nice looking FF demo in ten days for Nvidia's 15TF Volta V100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIgQQz5SNxs

I also hope for a second generation PSVR set w/ at the very least 2x 4k displays powered by PS5. Because this is when the VR party actually gets started.

Oh hell yeah. I'd be there.

Studying the whole VRAM situation it seems 16Gb will be enough for 4K, 12-13GB after OS.
Probably 16x 1Gb's clam-shell or 8x2Gb single sided, assuming it's GDDR6 for now we would have a 512-bit bus 1024GB/s of bandwidth (realistically 960Gb/s)
I'm guessing 2Gb sticks (10.8v less) due to heat and for the sake of keeping the box small.
CPU probably won't cost them more than $50 looking at the prices of previous generations and what a Jaguar CPU costed ($45).
In other words they could go batshitcrazy with the GPU (hopefully they don't ignore the CPU side even with VRR being available) and nail a $399 price point.
14-16TF isn't out of the realm of possibilities, pretty sure they are taking a hit on PS4 Slim of around $50, they could do the same with PS5.

All about services in the end and where the big money is, if not then something like 12TF at $399 will have to suffice until Pro.

I've mentioned this before and I still see you posting... A 512 bit bus is TOO BIG for a console APU... Way too big.

The XB1X has a 326 bit bus and that is the biggest bus on on a console ever. The highest end desktop GPUs rarely go beyond this bus size.

I really think it would help you to read up a bit on bus sizes and the considerations that chip designers have to make when selecting them.

(Edit: For clarification, I'm talking about bus sizes when coupled with off-die GDDR/DDR memory)

bionic77

Other than VR what is this power going to be used for?

I think MS has the right idea of just getting rid of console cycles and letting people upgrade their console like a smartphone that keeps some backwards compatibility which will drop off after a 2-3 gens.

Sony is right to want things to keep going the way they have been since the PS1 but I see a huge amount of disruption in the console space in the next 5-10 years. From a distance I feel like MS has the right approach but then again these things can be really hard to predict.

Carn82

From a distance I feel like MS has the right approach but then again these things can be really hard to predict.

PS4 Pro is selling 1/5th of regular PS4. If the Xbox One X pulls the same numbers (maybe a bit more) then its clear that the market isnt really that hungry for mid-gen refreshes; and the biggest part of your base will still go for the cheapest available SKU.

Shin

Banned
I've mentioned this before and I still see you posting... A 512 bit bus is TOO BIG for a console APU... Way too big.

The XB1X has a 326 bit bus and that is the biggest bus on on a console ever. The highest end desktop GPUs rarely go beyond this bus size.

I really think it would help you to read up a bit on bus sizes and the considerations that chip designers have to make when selecting them.

(Edit: For clarification, I'm talking about bus sizes when coupled with off-die GDDR/DDR memory)

And it's the second time you're claiming that XBOX has a 326 bit bus, you're confusing bandwidth with bus width...
1Gb GDDR5 chip is 32-bit, so 12 x 32 = 384, not 326...16 x 32 = 512.
With that said how can they add more memory (GDDR6 in this case) without widening the bus? lol

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
PS4 Pro is selling 1/5th of regular PS4. If the Xbox One X pulls the same numbers (maybe a bit more) then its clear that the market isnt really that hungry for mid-gen refreshes; and the biggest part of your base will still go for the cheapest available SKU.

I agree but there is this dynamic to remember:

PS4 to Pro - not seen as that big of a jump, going from best console performance to even better console performance.

XBO to XBO X - seen as a bigger jump and going from worst console to best console.

I still think this late in the gen $499 is alot to ask. Next gen might handle that price more.
Its also why I think PSVR came in at $399. I wonder if Sony does see $399 as a magic number.

bionic77

I feel like if they are going to go with a full generation upgrade it is going to need more than marginally better graphics to justify the upgrade.

Like I said it is hard to predict and there is always the possibility that clever developers will find a great way to take advantage of that power.

Gamezone

Gold Member
In an interview with German site Golem.de, Sony President and CEO Shawn Layden was asked whether we would ever see any PS4 Pro only titles.

“That will never happen!” was his emphatic response.

Layden said it would “probably be some time” before the reveal of the PS5, but Macquarie Capital Securities analyst Damian Thong – who has a good track record of being on the nose with his predictions – thinks the PS5 will be released before the end of 2018.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/26/sony-says-it-will-probably-be-some-time-before-we-see-the-ps5/amp/

Skeff

The ps5 will not be released before the end of 2018. That's a terrible prediction.

Most likely release from a technological road map would probably a 7nm chip in 2020.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There's no way in hell Sony will release the PS5 within the next 18 months. I would be utterly shocked. They couldn't make a generational upgrade over the Pro at a reasonable cost that soon.

firelogic

Sony isn't going to announce and release the PS5 in the next 18 months when the PS4 is selling like gangbusters right now with all their major titles still to come.

I'm thinking 2019, for a reveal.

I want a ps5 that can play Ps1, 2, and 4 discs, so I can finally retire my Ps2. I'm getting worried about it. Though so far there hasn't been any issues with it, I might buy another just in case.

HvySky

Honestly wouldn't be surprised by a 2020 reveal and release. PS4 was revealed and released in the same year as well, wasn't it?

im_dany

They don't need to actually show it. They just need the word PS5 floating around so people don't switch to Scorpio, because instead it will be "just wait until PS5".

PS4 is selling like gangbusters & hasn't hit magical $199 price yet. Doubt we even hear about PS5 before 2020. I expect them to reveal->release like they did with PS4. Also I'm sure they'd like to hit 100M in sales first, which seems highly likely as the last 40M may come in just as much time as the first 40M.

Top Bottom