• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[golem.de with Shawn Layden] Sony bets on real PS 5 instead of console revolution

They release by the end of 2018 and it will cost 600 dollars.

Would be a disaster in the making. It won't come out until probably 2020.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
if by chance they release it in 2019 and TLOU Part II is out, I think a bundle with that game will make it sell like hotcakes (not that it wouldnt sell well without it, but bundling it with that game....damn)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I could see a scenario where 2018 was the original plan but given development times, the success of the PS4/Pro, and the way AMD's roadmaps are playing out they decided to push it back. I was firmly in the 2019 train before but now I'm thinking 2020.

Lt-47

I feel like if they are going to go with a full generation upgrade it is going to need more than marginally better graphics to justify the upgrade.

Like I said it is hard to predict and there is always the possibility that clever developers will find a great way to take advantage of that power.

The CPU boost alone will likely make nextgen a bigger jump in the way game are designed than the PS3 to PS4 transition. We'll get a lot more than just prettier graphics when dev are no long tied to the crappy jaguar cpu of current gen

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How is that horrible? Really?

PC has some games that are over 10 years old and still receives updates and content. Would you rather not have it, or have to start over when you buy another console?

I care more about future games, than past games to be honest. I don't need forward compatibility at all.

Blam

I'd say that the PS5 will not do anywhere as good as the PS4 because too many iterations in too little time is gonna make people less inclined to buy this stuff.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'd say that the PS5 will not do anywhere as good as the PS4 because too many iterations in too little time is gonna make people less inclined to buy this stuff.

PS5 will sell .. partly because of PS4. Still, I think it depends on the device, marketing, etc... and ultimately pricing.

This is why I think a traditional generation as has been suggested is a mistake. It's not where the industry is headed.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

If they were stupid enough to release it in 2018, absolutely. But it will probably be more like 2020. And the big masses only ever bought a PS4, not a Pro, so to them it will feel like a long time since the last new console (7 years). Those who have bought a Pro I think generally did it knowing it's a mid-gen upgrade and that it won't have a "life" as long as a regular console (still 4 years or so).

Shin

Banned
“We’ve been working for months with the top [hardware partners] to bring new systems to market,” Anderson said. “So you’ll see with Ryzen Mobile beautiful two-in-one systems, some really beautiful thin-and-light ultraportables, great gaming systems."

Anderson promised great things from the chips: "Ryzen Mobile will have fantastic battery life, you’ll see great performance on productivity applications, and it will have phenomenal gaming experience. You’ll be able to get a phenomenal AAA gaming experience on a thin-and-light notebook.”

AMD hopes it can achieve all of that with some key elements. First, there’s the Zen core, which will provide the same dramatic leap in processor performance compared to the existing Carrizo mobile chips—over 50 percent, Anderson said. But there’s also a surprise hiding behind it: the first Vega graphics cores, which will deliver a 40-percent increase in performance over the current generation.

Just as important, though, will be power efficiency: The Ryzen Mobile chip will operate at half the power of the current chip, Anderson said.

Can't wait to see what this thing can actually do, Mobile CPU's scare me, unlike GPU's they don't seem to catch up to desktop counterparts.
Thoughts on that quote?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_mobile_microprocessors
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Analy...AMD-Carrizo-L-Notebook-Platform.147261.0.html (this doesn't tell you anything, just gives a very basic idea of Carrizo).

Yet another useless conjecture, but I think 2020 is more likely than 2019. They can brand it as the PS2's 20th anniversary, and 2020 just feels right. 2019 reminds me of the Dreamcast, which released in 1999 if I recall. And if things like the PS4 Pro can't at least extend the generational life cycle, I don't see them as being very useful for the manufacturer.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wonder how big of a backlash it will be when PS5 games don't work on PS4 Pro.

I damn well hope they don't. If they do, they will be limited by the PS4's awful CPU (you can't really scale that up/down as easily as you can with GPU stuff), and as such there's really no need for the PS5 to have a much more powerful one either. And then we will have the same problem with the next console after that, etc. There HAS TO be a cut-off, we need an actual new generation for things to move forward beyond just image quality.

Lady Gaia

With that said how can they add more memory (GDDR6 in this case) without widening the bus? lol

Why LOL? The 384-bit data bus is that wide to increase bandwidth, not addressable memory. It means that 384 bits of data can be delivered every cycle, giving you 50% more peak bandwidth than a 256-bit wide data bus. The determinative factor for maximum addressable memory is the width of the address bus, where a meager 34-bit wide bus is enough to uniquely identify 16GB worth of addresses at byte granularity, and even that's internal to the APU because the memory controller will handle translation to the physical chip layout.

The only way the two interact to constrain memory totals is that individual chips invariably store an exact power of two distinct addresses, so non-power of two memory totals like 12GB are the result of chip counts that aren't powers of two (12 x 8Gb in the Xbox One X's case, each with a 32-but wide data bus and likely a 28-bit address bus for word-aligned access.)

Darklor01

I should think reasonably large despite there being some telltale statements hinting that the new console might not use the previous Gen's discs. Perhaps though, there may be some form of BC through emulation if the hardware architecture remains similar enough to do that.

If they were stupid enough to release it in 2018, absolutely. But it will probably be more like 2020. And the big masses only ever bought a PS4, not a Pro, so to them it will feel like a long time since the last new console (7 years). Those who have bought a Pro I think generally did it knowing it's a mid-gen upgrade and that it won't have a "life" as long as a regular console (still 4 years or so).

yep i bought a Pro thinking i get 3 to 4 years out of it .
I am ready for PS5 if comes out in 2019 which is the earliest i think it going to come out .

I don't think there will be any blacklash that really matters .
Most people i know that buy a Pro don't expect it to play PS5 games which will be cross gen for a year or two .

I should think reasonably large despite there being some telltale statements hinting that the new console might not use the previous Gen's discs. Perhaps though, there may be some form of BC through emulation if the hardware architecture remains similar enough to do that.

He said PS5 games on PS4, not PS4 games on PS5.

Forward compatibility will never happen and people who expect it are crazy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

He's not talking about BC (PS4 games working on PS5 - which is pretty likely IMO), but forward compatibility (PS5 games working on the Pro the way all PS4 games still run on the old PS4). That's much, much less likely, and I hope it doesn't happen.

StaSeb

Well, I am late to the party but there is no news in there. Shawn said what he said more or like in the vein of "I suppose there will be a PS5 at some time". Nothing more.

And be aware that the german interview is already tainted by translation. There really isn't any PS5-news here, really.

StarPhlox

I'm definitely betting on PS5 but just like last gen I don't know what the rush is in getting to it. PS3 had some of its finest games in its final year and PS4 is still kicking.

Blam

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they did it in 2019 let alone the end of 2018. I just don't like them cutting it before 10 years. Because now the XOX and the Pro have been moved out of their respective lifecycles and cut damn short.

I'd rather have them support those mid-gen upgrades into the next generation.

Shin

Banned
The 384-bit data bus is that wide to increase bandwidth, not addressable memory.

I asked how they can add more without widening the bus.
The question stands because every GPU I've looked up the memory and bandwidth seem to come down to 32 bit per chip (with a rare occurrence of 64 bit).
So I'm believing they go hand in hand, hence my initial question.

PS5 launch fall 2019. And unless something disruptive happens they'll stick to their 3 year launch-refresh cycle.

There will be a much bigger backlash if PS5 games cannot exploit PS5's power because they also have to run properly on a console with a 2013's netbook CPU.

Lady Gaia

I asked how they can add more without widening the bus.
The question stands because every GPU I've looked up the memory and bandwidth seem to come down to 32 bit per chip (with a rare occurrence of 64 bit).
So I'm believing they go hand in hand, hence my initial question.

You’re right that individual RAM chips read/write data in batches of, for example, 32 bits at a time. So they contribute 32 bits to the data bus, and when multiple chips are used in parallel you get a wider bus. 12x32 yielding 384 in the Xbox One X’s case.

Which 32 bits you’re reading are specified by the address bus. An 8Gb chip would have a 28-bit address bus to uniquely identify 2 ^ 28 locations (multiplied by 32 bits per location to give you the full 8Gb of memory.) As memory density improves you can add one bit to the address bus, doubling the density of the individual RAM chips to 16Gb without widening the data bus.

Darklor01

He said PS5 games on PS4, not PS4 games on PS5.

Forward compatibility will never happen and people who expect it are crazy.

OOPS.. I did indeed misread that! I just kind of assumed anyone saying the opposite was just.. well, how could you think that way. I mean, plan games to take advantage of tech that doesn't exist yet?

Shin

Banned
As memory density improves you can add one bit to the address bus, doubling the density of the individual RAM chips to 16Gb without widening the data bus.

Perfect, I was looking at HBM3/GDDR6 and was wondering the what it would affect/change.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/sk-hynix-hbm2-and-gddr6-specs-and-availibity.html
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/sk-hynix-showcases-first-gddr6-double-the-bandwidth.html

Feel free to give an example using GDDR6 (16Gb and bus width), cuz I'm getting numbers that doesn't make sense.

Sulik2

If the ps5 doesn't release until 2020 it gives them three more years to get the base PS4 down to the magical $99 price point that made the PS2 sell so many units.

Shin

Banned
If the ps5 doesn't release until 2020 it gives them three more years to get the base PS4 down to the magical $99 price point that made the PS2 sell so many units.

It has IDK how much more memory than PS2 or even PS3, making it more expensive and less likely to manufacturer it as cheap.
Unless they take the hit in cost and hope they make it back through PSN I'm skeptical that will happen.

They'll never offer it that cheap, it would severly damage PlayStation's brand perception.

Valonquar

Fuck backwards compatibility. Just give me bleeding edge shit, if I want to look backwards, it ain't like I won't still have the PS4 there until it outlives its purpose.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yes, but there are no "generations" in conventional PC components so they may introduce smaller upgrades over the course of a year - kinda like what Intel was doing for the last ten years or so.

graphene chips or quantum computing have to come in at some point, silicon is quite literally in danger of hitting a brick wall soon

Fuck backwards compatibility. Just give me bleeding edge shit, if I want to look backwards, it ain't like I won't still have the PS4 there until it outlives its purpose.

Sony needs BC this time. They are well aware that they have to make the transition of their valuable subscribers as smooth as possible and the easiest way to do that is to allow them migrating their digital PS4 games libraries (incl. PS+ games of course) to PS5 / making churning costs to a subscription model from a competitor prohibitively expensive.

Laplasakos

Assuming that PS5 gets released in 2019 and costs 399$ how much powerful will it be compared to X1X? I mean at that time what kind of specs can we expect if it costs 399$?

Assuming that PS5 gets released in 2019 and costs 399$ how much powerful will it be compared to X1X? I mean at that time what kind of specs can we expect if it costs 399$?

Sony was able to deliver a 4,2 TF console for $399 in 2016, MS delivers 6 TF one year later - for $499. We all hope for the best, but something in the 10-12 TF ballpark is what we should expect, and anything above hope for.

Carn82

If it's raven ridge (zen/vega APU) it will probably run circles around the x1x. 10 tf sounds doable. Raven ridge APUs will launch later this year so they should be a good benchmark to see what's possible. And given the time frame, a 'boosted' raven ridge (with zen2 and navi features) is an option for Sony.

Top Bottom