• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 25| Did you think me defeated?!"

The flood returning is a good sign for Halo 6. I want that tension and conflict to be back. Screw the flood haters lol
I'm definitely all about the flood coming back. They have to eventually, given what has been setup in the last two games and extended universe stuff.

Flood = best enemy

I'm definitely all about the flood coming back. They have to eventually, given what has been setup in the last two games and extended universe stuff.

Flood = best enemy

Where you been Wesley? Haven't seen you post in a long while, aside from the occasional gaming side posts.

Cranster

Banned
The flood returning is a good sign for Halo 6. I want that tension and conflict to be back. Screw the flood haters lol
I agree. Though they worked best in Halo 1 with how they simply just ran right to you with no sense of self preservation.

Halo 1 was brilliant in that you got use to fighting the covenant, and then out of the blue this new enemy appears with the simple tactic of just running at you with overwhelming numbers which forces you to change up the tactics you are use to engaging the Covenant with.

psyfi

Banned
I agree. Though they worked best in Halo 1 with how they simply just ran right to you with no sense of self preservation.

Halo 1 was brilliant in that you got use to fighting the covenant, and then out of the blue this new enemy appears with the simple tactic of just running at you with overwhelming numbers which forces you to change up the tactics you are use to engaging the Covenant with.
Yup, CE flood = best flood. They're a big reason why the CE campaign is my favorite, though I do like fighting the Covenant more overall.

I'd rather fight H4 prometheans than flood *barf*

The flood done right can be incredible. I liked how they got into dead corpses on the ground and revived them as flood. Problem was it was too much in a row of the same thing. Its the getting swarmed all the time by the little guys that got annoying.

Ill take flood over Promethean any day of the week. Gimmie some of dat old school halo vibes

Fuchsdh

The Flood themselves aren't any more interesting than the Prometheans. In a lot of ways, they have the same weaknesses—largely personality-less, for instance. They're at their best when used in no-holds-barred outlast/hold situations (so hopefully this HW2 Firefight addition is great) and in the multi-sided battles that make Halo CE's second half good instead of just a painful retread through the same geometry.

iFirez

Lots of big Halo Wars 2 announcements just made on the Xbox stream. Including a Blur Trailer where the Banished find the flood. 2 new leaders, Jerome and Arbiter. Maps for the new Firefight mode plus some single player content for Season Pass owners. Along with a bunch more info.

Juan

Flood being back in Halo is kind of big if this is actually cannon

Q: How did the Flood manage to get to the Ark?

A: During the events of Halo 3, the Flood took control of High Charity, the planet-sized satellite and capital city of the Covenant. The Flood crashed High Charity on the Ark in an effort to thwart its ability to fire – and rebuild – the Halo rings. While most of the Flood threat was destroyed in the crash of High Charity and in the explosive end of Halo 3, even the smallest remaining spore of Flood can take over the galaxy, given enough time.

It is.

Woorloog

Banned
Wonder how the Flood managed to survive the Halo pulse. Evidently they can survive them in certain circumstances, such as on Halos themselves, or in Shield Worlds.
It seems unlikely they survived on 04B considering it wasn't finished and probably wasn't shielded from the pulse. Would the Ark itself have some kind of shelter the Flood broke into?
Not sure if OK with this.

I still believe Cortana is under the control of the Gravemind and is making the galaxy docile and ripe for picking.

I'd bet on the Didact. That guy got Composed, so he is probably some kind of digital demon now. But hey, maybe both have merged into Gravemind or some shit like that.

Fuchsdh

I still believe Cortana is under the control of the Gravemind and is making the galaxy docile and ripe for picking.

I highly doubt it, but I think the obvious parallels to how Cortana is repeating the Forerunner's mistakes that led to the rise of the Flood in the first place are intentional and leading to something (the Flood are most certainly coming back at some point.)

Fuchsdh

Wait, it's not part of the HW2 season pass? Wtf?

Nope. We've still got leaders and as-yet-undetailed campaign DLC that's in the season pass before this hits. This update will also come with additional maps, but those are free for everyone.

(Yeah, I can see where it rubs people the wrong way.)

Karl2177

Nope. We've still got leaders and as-yet-undetailed campaign DLC that's in the season pass before this hits. This update will also come with additional maps, but those are free for everyone.

(Yeah, I can see where it rubs people the wrong way.)

When will game companies just give a straight up season pass that gives all of the content after launch instead of this nickel and dime-y bullshit?

Have been trying to reinstall Halo 5 from the game disc, but it keeps getting stuck at 4%.

I've done the basic stuff that Xbox Support tells me to do, take it off line, clear the local storage cache, but still no dice.

Any ideas?

TCKaos

Oh, cool, so the Halo 3 Anniversary announcement was the reveal that the third act of the game was for nothing and that the conclusive victory of the original trilogy was a meaningless farce, retroactively rendering the Master Chief's perceived suicide mission as a failure that removes dramatic weight of the trilogy's conclusion.

Trup1aya

I liked this comment from Phil on Eurogamer

And I'll tell you, as a platform holder there's tension because, if I had shown Master Chief running around in 4K on the screen, the place would have gone crazy. You know that. I know that. Just to pick on Halo because people know there's Halo. But I also know, as we're working through the creative process of giving the team the time to go deliver the great game we want them to deliver, whether it's Halo or something brand new, the time it takes to just get ready for the screen is real time away from production on the game. And then you set some kind of bar from gameplay, because people will take expectation that probably has very little to do, or might not have anything to do with what you actually land.

I think it's good to let devs keep their heads down and work on the game rather than spend precious time on an e3 build that probably won't be representative of the final game.

Seeing Chief running around in 4K would have made me go crazy. Hell, a 4K patch for H5 would have probably made me preorder a 1X. But it would also take away from 343s effort on making a good halo game.

I'm probably done with H5 for a while, but that's not a bad thing. I've got tons of games I've missed since Oct 2015. So I say, all hands on deck for H6, and when it's shown, it better knock socks off.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh, cool, so the Halo 3 Anniversary announcement was the reveal that the third act of the game was for nothing and that the conclusive victory of the original trilogy was a meaningless farce, retroactively rendering the Master Chief's perceived suicide mission as a failure that removes dramatic weight of the trilogy's conclusion.

I'll note that the Chief never eliminated all Flood in Halo 3.
Halos 04 and 05 had Flood stored on them. At least one Shield World had Flood stored on it. Logically there are more places where the Flood are still stored. (Because, evidently, the Forerunners were goddamn morons.)
What the Chief did was to draw the Gravemind to the Ark and kill it there. But can one really kill a Gravemind considering the Flood are telepathically (or something like that) linked?

EDIT The Flood breaking out in a place recently sterilized by a Halo is kinda silly for sure though.

So how do you guys think the Xbox One X will affect Halo 6 graphics/performance-wise? I feel like as a flagship title it could put pressure on 343i to go native 4k on the X which would be tough to keep 60fps. I'm pretty sure they realize that 60fps is significantly better in addition to having good reception for Halo 5. Hopefully they go 60fps with dynamic 4k, that way they'll check that 4k box even if it isn't 100% "true".

Cranster

Banned

No more pointless than Return of The Jedi's ending. The Covenant still had fleets and factions and The Flood were never confirmed to be destroyed, let alone the countless Flood containment facilities on other Rings, Delta Halo and other undiscovered Forerunner installations.

kosmologi

I think they're probably aiming 4K/60fps with a further developed Halo 5 engine. Split screen (which I believe has been confirmed) would then run on a much lower resolution and 60fps, however this is much more uncertain because of legacy Xbox parity reasons.

Personally I'd settle for 1080p with much improved textures, effects, and such. But here again we run into the issue of the old hardware.

Fuchsdh

No more pointless than Return of The Jedi's ending. The Covenant still had fleets and factions and The Flood were never confirmed to be destroyed, let alone the countless Flood containment facilities on other Rings, Delta Halo and other undiscovered Forerunner installations.

I really don't understand the mindset of people who felt that Halo 3 "finished the fight" and yet still kept playing. The series followed the obvious dots... no, not everyone was done fighting, yes, humanity would go back to eating its own, hey, there were obviously still Halo rings out there that could be an imminent threat if the wrong people stepped onto them and fiddled with the locks.

Especially reading the Vice article and realizing that virtually no elements of early Halo had any intentional story significance and were thrown together purely for gameplay reasons, I don't get people's complaints over minor contrivances at this point. Hey, the Flood are a good antagonist, hey, they can regenerate from a single spore. It's easy to construct a narrative with them.

My guess with Halo 6 (all modes will be 60fps)

Xbox One S
Campaign Dynamic Scaling up to 1080p
Campaign Co-op Dynamic Scaling up to 1080p but it will hit really low sub 900p when DF makes videos
MP Dynamic Scaling up to 1080p - like halo 5, itll stay consistent on dev made maps
(medium/high Textures - still uses tactic with 30fps animations)

Xbox One X
Campaign Dynamic Scaling up to 2160p, holding a good lock on 2160p 90% of the time.
Campaign Co-op Dynamic Scaling up to 2160p, but only hovering about 1080p as a DF video will show us
MP Dynamic Scaling up to 2160p, This will hold a 2160p frame buffer 98% of the time - depending on Warzone situation.
(High/Ultra Textures with better AF i hope lol and no more 30fps animations lol)

HTupolev

I don't get people's complaints over minor contrivances at this point. Hey, the Flood are a good antagonist, hey, they can regenerate from a single spore. It's easy to construct a narrative with them.
Because it's not a minor contrivance to construct a narrative, it's a rollback of a major contrivance that the older narrative was constructed from.

Eventually bringing the Flood back isn't a problem. Bringing them back on the Ark out of nowhere... seems narratively careless.

Cranster

Banned
Because it's not a minor contrivance to construct a narrative, it's a rollback of a major contrivance that the older narrative was constructed from.

Eventually bringing the Flood back isn't a problem. Bringing them back on the Ark out of nowhere... seems narratively careless.
Not really, the Installation 04B was still not complete when it was fired. It's not a stretch to think some Flood spores survived in the ruins of High Charity.

I really, really, really hope that won't be the case. It is infuriatingly ugly and annoying.

them putting in split screen, after they removed it seems like it will cost a lot for the Xbox One version vs what they can really do on a Xbox One X version. i dont expect greatness at this moment.

But, next year will most likely be a HALO marketing blitz, all year focusing and building on their main IP.

Woorloog

Banned
them putting in split screen, after they removed it seems like it will cost a lot for the Xbox One version vs what they can really do on a Xbox One X version. i dont expect greatness at this moment.

But, next year will most likely be a HALO marketing blitz, all year focusing and building on their main IP.

I'd trade overall quality to retain full animation speed, 60FPS and 1080p rez.
For standard Xbox One that is. No comment on X.

I do wonder if Halo 6 will be on PC as well though... If it is, not sure i'll be willing to tolerate Windows Store though, my experiences with it have been so abysmal...

HTupolev

Not really, the Installation 04B was still not complete when it was fired. It's not a stretch to think some Flood spores survived in the ruins of High Charity.
I'm not saying it's not plausible according to the mechanics of the Halo universe. I'm saying it's in disagreement with the flow of Halo 3's narrative. It's throwing an asterisk on Marty's strings.

Cranster

Banned
I'm not saying it's not plausible according to the mechanics of the Halo universe. I'm saying it's in disagreement with the flow of Halo 3's narrative. It's throwing an asterisk on Marty's strings.
I don't think that matters though as it had the weakest narrative in the trilogy.

TCKaos

I don't think that matters though as it had the weakest narrative in the trilogy.

It's essentially if we found out in Empire Strikes Back that instead of building a new Death Star that the old Death Star wasn't destroyed, we only thought it was.

There's nothing wrong with a new Death Star on its face, it seems plausible that the Empire could build another one (which, y'know, happened), but rather the issue is that it's a contrivance that robs the end of A New Hope of its narrative and thematic significance.

AlStrong

It would be more plausible that Gravemind dispersed some flood somewhere between Delta Halo and the portal at Earth instead of just gathering All Flood Units and going to the Ark. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Even with the Sangheili helping, it just seemed incredible that Flooded High Charity made it to Earth & the portal without leaving some spores behind somewhere.

As for surviving 4B... meh, if true.

Juan

So, H3 is showing up as BC for a few people according to reddit and twitter.

Lets hope...

Since you can play Halo 3 on the MCC at 60fps, I'm not looking forward Halo 3 being BC. I would largely prefer to have Halo 3 ODST since I could play Firefight with friends once again!

Top Bottom