• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ireland and Afghanistan become full members of the International Cricket Council!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40364481

Ireland and Afghanistan have been granted Test status by the International Cricket Council.

It increases the number of countries competing at the top level of international cricket to 12.

They are the first admissions since Bangladesh gained Test status in 2000.

The two countries, who already have one-day and Twenty20 international status, have enjoyed notable successes against Test-playing nations in global competitions in recent years.

Ireland, who are 12th in the ICC one-day rankings, beat England in the 2011 World Cup, four years after a shock victory over Pakistan in the same competition.

Afghanistan, currently 10th in the rankings, drew an ODI series with T20 world champions West Indies this month.

The changes were passed unanimously at the ICC full council meeting at The Oval.

Fantastic to see! It's great for Irish cricket and I wish them all the best but it's brilliant for Afghanistan, who are in dire need of some sporting success. Good luck to them both.

EDIT: ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH MODS HELP ME! I'M IN GAMING!

jonno394

Happy for Ireland, hope they can develop from this. Wonder if it will have any impact of Irish players opting to play for England in future?

I wonder when will a video game version be made.
Are there VG versions of cricket?

yup

200545-L-LO.jpg

edit: now I've double posted. Time to do some work I think.

That's really nice, Ireland have constantly got fucked over so so badly. As soon as one of their players becomes world class, they go to England in order to play test cricket. Afganistan is an awesome story in every sense, they've come from no where and are doing so well, that young kid who played the IPL was impressive.

There'll be plenty of years of them being fodder as they slowly improve but that's fantastic news nonetheless.

Thumbs up to all the changes that've been made to the ICC over the last year or so.

Mindwipe

There'll be plenty of years of them being fodder as they slowly improve but that's fantastic news nonetheless.

Thumbs up to all the changes that've been made to the ICC over the last year or so.

Honestly I think both of them aren't pushovers already. Ireland have long since been the best non-full member team around anyway, and Afghanistan are surprisingly impressive.

Who's next? The Netherlands?

They've fallen away a bit and Kenya have completely disappeared. Probably UAE and Scotland though I suspect that is a ways off.

It should be noted that Ireland and Afghanistan won't be getting paid as full members by the ICC until 2023. So don't expect them to to be playing a dozen tests a year straight away, they will get eased in.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
They've fallen away a bit and Kenya have completely disappeared. Probably UAE and Scotland though I suspect that is a ways off.

It should be noted that Ireland and Afghanistan won't be getting paid as full members by the ICC until 2023. So don't expect them to to be playing a dozen tests a year straight away, they will get eased in.

As they should be - look at how long it has taken Bangladesh to get anywhere at all.

bomma_man

As they should be - look at how long it has taken Bangladesh to get anywhere at all.

IIRC the elevation of the Bangladeshis was aspirational/political - Kenya were a better team at the time. No doubt it will be a while before they're winning games (do they even have four day domestic competitions yet?), and Afghanistan will be able to host home games in the year 20never, but they have a lot more potential than Bangladesh did at the equivelant time.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have literally never heard anybody talking about cricket in Ireland even once.

I'm shocked we even have a Cricket team

It's great to see Afghan cricket grow and thrive considering the state of Afghanistan. It was also great to see them when they were down this way for the World Cup two years ago.

Zushin

Great, good to see test cricket growing. Looking forward to Ireland and Afghanistan on WACA pitches :)

#aussieaussieaussie

I've just read an article the other day about cricket becoming crazy popular in Germany right now. Because of refugees from Afghanistan! Apparently works great as a way to integrate people into our society.

I've just read an article the other day about cricket becoming crazy popular in Germany right now. Because of refugees from Afghanistan! Apparently works great as a way to integrate people into our society.

Sounds good but how does cricket help integrate Afghans into German society. Do Germans play cricket?

azyless

Sounds good but how does cricket help integrate Afghans into German society. Do Germans play cricket?
They found clubs, leagues, etc. in Germany so I imagine a few Germans pick up the sport and locals watch games as well. Some afghans probably even play for the Germany national team.

Vagabundo

The guy that thinks Chelsea Manning should have been executed, happy to say I don't listen to that nasty POS.

He seems to have going further to the right since having that Boston Teaparty manic on his show. I still enjoy his Old Man Shouts At Cloud routine.

This is something that ought to be the biggest news in all of sports right now but oh well,
it made my day when I heard it.

It's just a shame that international cricket is so dysfunctional, the ICC has accepted them as test nations but the bilateral nature of arranging fixtures means that they're not going to get many games at all. Ireland will get one or two tests as a warmup for sides coming to England and Afghanistan might get a game in the UAE before Pakistan tours but the big teams like India/Australia won't ever invite them to tour. Add to that the fact that all the limited overs tournaments are being whittled down in size and it means that it's harder than ever for the diddy teams to make that step up.

IIRC the elevation of the Bangladeshis was aspirational/political - Kenya were a better team at the time. No doubt it will be a while before they're winning games (do they even have four day domestic competitions yet?), and Afghanistan will be able to host home games in the year 20never, but they have a lot more potential than Bangladesh did at the equivelant time.

I think the Irish domestic games were given first-class status late last year, no clue about Afghanistan.

Is this the one?

How Afghanistan is bringing cricket to Germany

It's a long read but a great one, a reminder of just how nuts the journey is for many refugees.

He cannot remember when exactly, but perhaps a decade ago, the Taliban killed his father, who was working in intelligence for the Afghan government. Soon after, his brother also vanished, and nothing has been heard of him since. These details are narrated slowly, in Pashto, and then translated to me.

As the situation in Afghanistan deteriorated, Niamatullah moved to Pakistan in 2013. When he returned to Afghanistan a year later, his uncle and mother decided that the situation was too unsafe for him to remain. "There's a real war going on," he says. "I decided to go anywhere else to get out of Afghanistan."

His entire family wanted to leave too, but the journey out was too dangerous, and the cost too great, for others to join him. His uncle paid a smuggler US$12,000 to organise his trip, and told Niamatullah to reach Germany: "You've got a chance of a better life there."

Niamatullah journeyed across Afghanistan to Iran. Then, he says, he hid in the luggage compartment of a coach to get across Iran. He trekked across the mountainous border into Turkey, going three days without food, and survived long-range shooting from the border guards.

He then hid in the cargo container of a boat for over ten hours as it crossed the Black Sea to Bulgaria. He was now in the European Union at last, but few who make it this far want to stop in Bulgaria, the poorest of the EU's 28 members. Niamatullah still had to cross 1700km to reach Germany. It took him about a month, mostly spent walking through forests where he could not easily be found.

Finally, he arrived late last year, over 12 months after leaving Afghanistan. In Bremen, an industrial city in the north-west, Niamatullah is trying to rebuild his life. Not 18 for another few weeks, he is going to school, and living in a small abode with another refugee, while awaiting the results of his asylum application. The wait is onerous: while Germany has a more welcoming attitude to Afghan refugees than almost any other European country, many Afghans who are granted the right to stay in Germany are forced to move to a different city from the one they first took shelter in, losing the social networks they have built up.

Niamatullah has not talked to his family for six months. "The conditions are not very good there, the telephone doesn't work, because the Taliban always target the networks, so it's hard to get in contact. I always try," he says. The last time he spoke to his family, he heard his brother had been kidnapped.

In these circumstances, cricket might seem futile, but to Niamatullah it is anything but. Most of the friends he has gained are through cricket. Cricket enables him to meet others from Afghanistan, speak Pashto, and play the sport he loves. It is a beacon of hope.

Oh and as always, I cannot emphasise just how great Out of the Ashes is. It's a documentary about the early days of Afghan cricket as they started to get organised and rise through the ranks of associate cricket in an attempt to qualify for the ICC World T20 tournament in 2010.

It's absolutely incredible, EVERYONE WATCH IT. Even if you don't know a thing about cricket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_YSZyhRv5s

Top Bottom