• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (premiers March 2nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hari Seldon

wtf where they thinking in getting some dude who was only marginally funny back in 2003. They might as well get David Spade to do a talk show.

knicks

Hari Seldon said:
wtf where they thinking in getting some dude who was only marginally funny back in 2003. They might as well get David Spade to do a talk show.

Showbizshowlogo.jpg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
faa2ad6a.gif

NNNNNNNNN BBBBBBBBBB CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"You know that guy who was terrible on live TV because he could never keep a straight face, whose movie career failed because no one really like him? Let's give that guy a talk show"

-Clover

He lacks confidence, I have noticed that he waits for others to laugh or in a way approve what he just said, then he reacts. I don't like that. Also last nights episode felt like it copied of Conan's material, did some of Conan's writers stay with Jimmy?

Nicktals

Banned
I've watched a bit of a couple shows (haven't watched one all the way through yet). My thoughts:

Not good. I realize it's very new, and these shows take time to develop...or rather take time for the host to develop, which brings me to my next thought...

I just don't see what Jimmy can excel at. I don't ever see him being charismatic, I don't think he could pull off the nerd/self-depricating thing (that Conan had down) and he doesn't seem interested in trying that. I guess in my mind the only hope he has is to somehow develop a style which we haven't seen before (or at least where we can't point at someone else and say 'he's like him!')...but I don't think he will.

He really needs to work on his speed and articulation. I really have trouble understanding what he's saying at times, and it's not enjoyable at all having to focus that hard on just hearing what someone is saying.

There were a couple others but I forgot them...Oh, I like the music. How is the dynamic between Jimmy and his band? I can't say I've seen much, if any, but I've mostly watched pieces from the second half hour.

EDIT: Lick it for 10 with hot girls, especially celebs, gets my approval.

rareside

I'm definitely not digging it, but it could be a slow burn. I'll come back in a few weeks...

His true test will come one he starts booking different kinds of guests... Conan had some real SHIT on in the beginning. Fallon is getting some big names off the bat. I think he needs some lesser known talent in the building, maybe that'll help calm his nerves and improve/carve out his own comedic interviews.

KHarvey16

I think he's shown the most improvement so far in the interviews. Kind of a weird situation so far since most guests didn't really have something to promote, they were just there for the inaugural week. That'll obviously change over time so it'll be interesting to see. Generally I think the more comfortable he gets the better things go and that should only improve.

Realistically I think it's impossible to say he performed below expectations and even had a genuinely "good" late night show thrown in there. Still a lot of room for improvement but I think people should give it a chance.

:lol

This is great. I totally feel Jimmy's sense of humor. That reality show skit had me rolling. Making fun of all the boring shit that goes on in those shows like the Hills. Great stuff

Nicktals

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
I think he's shown the most improvement so far in the interviews. Kind of a weird situation so far since most guests didn't really have something to promote, they were just there for the inaugural week. That'll obviously change over time so it'll be interesting to see. Generally I think the more comfortable he gets the better things go and that should only improve.

Realistically I think it's impossible to say he performed below expectations and even had a genuinely "good" late night show thrown in there. Still a lot of room for improvement but I think people should give it a chance.

Yeah, and I'll definitely check it out periodically to see if I ever have a change in heart...but it's just the way he is that i find pretty off-putting...And to repeat what i said above, I don't see what he could end up really excelling at...I think i would have found conan off-putting right when he started too, though, so i'm definitely keeping an open mind about it.

KHarvey16

Nicktals said:
Yeah, and I'll definitely check it out periodically to see if I ever have a change in heart...but it's just the way he is that i find pretty off-putting...And to repeat what i said above, I don't see what he could end up really excelling at...I think i would have found conan off-putting right when he started too, though, so i'm definitely keeping an open mind about it.

Yeah I'd suggest giving him a few weeks or maybe even a couple months and checking back. Or just catch guests you're interested in seeing.

Ashhong

:lol i really enjoyed this episode. the cooking segment was probably the most entertaining cooking segment ive seen on a talk show, which isnt saying much but still

Ashhong said:
:lol i really enjoyed this episode. the cooking segment was probably the most entertaining cooking segment ive seen on a talk show, which isnt saying much but still

You never saw the fruitcake lady on Jay Leno. RIP fruitcake lady :(

Sapiens

Wrath2X said:
Too damn long!

Way damn too long, goddamnit.

I wonder how fast and far Fallon's ratings will drop once the newness subsides and the cold hard Fallon reality sets in for most people.

Revolver

I thought last night's show was okay. Not great but not horrible either. I think Fallon really needs a sidekick like Andy Richter or someone to play off. Was it just me or did Drew Barrymore seem more interested in that guy from Gossip Girl than anything else that was going on during the cooking segment? She looked better than she has in years though.

7th Floor West was pretty funny, I thought... The moment when they were arguing in the office and the camera pulls back for a cut-to-commercial type shot, and they end the scene with one of them saying, "it just is what it is, you know?" - classic. Totally nailed the reality show editing style. :lol

PiecesOfEight said:
7th Floor West was pretty funny, I thought... The moment when they were arguing in the office and the camera pulls back for a cut-to-commercial type shot, and they end the scene with one of them saying, "it just is what it is, you know?" - classic. Totally nailed the reality show editing style. :lol

Yeah, I don't know. A bunch of people talking like idiots and staring into space, that shit is just always funny to me. If they could focus more on stuff like that it'd really be a good tone for the show, filmed extended bits as opposed to the less funny stage stuff. It's clearly the writing teams' stronger suit.

koam

perfectchaos007 said:
I don't recognize any of the guests tonight. This week will be a true test for Fallon

The engadget dude is on, the last interview they did was funny and improv.

Jimmy Fallons German guy impression only reminded me of how good conan used to do it. Fallon tried way too hard and it just sucks. ( not just his german impression )

Pretty shit episode until this segment.

What's that guys name who did the Guadelupe Hidalgo treaty?
I saw his standup on comedy central. Funny stuff.

Missed Thur/Fri of last week but heard I wasn't missing much.

Ferguson had a great monologue today though.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
:lol at Jimmy basically shitting on his guest's film. Awesome (and totally warranted).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom