• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (premiers March 2nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sapiens said:
Rumour has it that ratings are falling like a rock. Can anyone confirm this?

Seems like it wouldn't be hard via to find via google if that is the case. I haven't watched an episode since I stopped posting in the thread. I'll probably watch one next week to see if he has gotten any better.

GriffD17

I've been following the show fairly regularly. He has definitely improved on his monologues. He's finally interacting with the announcer and/or the roots which adds some umph imho. The sketches after the monologues have been pretty meh.

Slow jamming the news is awesome though.

Sapiens said:
Rumour has it that ratings are falling like a rock. Can anyone confirm this?

Well the week before Leno and him were in reruns....... I guess im just as lazy as you and not wikipedia it or googling it.

web01

Im finding it really hard to watch this show.
Really hate it when Fallon does his fake as laughs at a guests joke or comment usually followed up by him repeating exactly what they just said or him doing this weird bow over the desk laugh thing. I need to a video of it to explain but im sure you know what i mean.

web01 said:
Im finding it really hard to watch this show.
Really hate it when Fallon does his fake as laughs at a guests joke or comment usually followed up by him repeating exactly what they just said or him doing this weird bow over the desk laugh thing. I need to a video of it to explain but im sure you know what i mean.

I know exactly what you mean. It's nauseating. Take a chill pill dude, and learn how to give an interview.

Letterman is apparently his childhood hero. You would think he would have learned that laughter and unbridled enthusiasm is not an effective way to converse with someone.

Comedy comes from the unexpected. Every interview with Fallon is the same. He gushes about their work and tells them he loves them. The end.

Blueblur1

I stopped watching this show after the first week. It looks like I made the right decision. Too bad for Jimmy if the show isn't doing well. :(

ZeoVGM

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
I stopped watching this show after the first week. It looks like I made the right decision. Too bad for Jimmy if the show isn't doing well. :(

It's doing fine, still beating Craig and Kimmel.

RotBot

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/04/23/jay-leno-jimmy-fallon-top-the-competition-april-13-17/17314

week of April 13-17 said:
TOTAL VIEWERS

11:35 p.m. ET
NBC “Tonight,” 5.1 million viewers
CBS “Late Show,” 3.6 million viewers
ABC “Nightline,” 3.8 million viewers

12:05 a.m. ET
ABC “Kimmel,” 1.7 million viewers*

12:35 a.m. ET
NBC “Late Night,” 1.9 million viewers
CBS “Late Late Show,” 1.8 million viewers

1:35 a.m. ET
NBC “Last Call,” 1.1 million viewers*

* Monday’s “Last Call” and Kimmel were encores.

Fallon's down to Conan's old average, which NBC is probably satisfied with. Nobody expected him to maintain his premiere ratings for long.

Mrbob

So what will be considered successful for Conan once his tonight show begins? Does he need to maintain at least 5 million viewers per night?

Blueblur1 said:
That's not too bad. Any really note-worthy episodes yet? I remember reading that Morgan Web was on. Was that segment any good?

Not really whole episodes, but his prefilmed bits are always worth watching, especially when Tariq and Quest, etc show up. 7th Floor West is great, and their Susan Boyle skit was really well done. The live bits aren't as good, but they do often have great people show up in the audience and knock stuff out of the park, like Fred Armisen or Mike Showalter doing a bit with head writer (and Best Big Brother from Role Models) A.D. Miles.

It's worth watching for the written comedy and The Roots, but not much else.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Anyone see his interview with J.J. Abrams last night? I don't mind this show, but it hasn't gotten better like I thought it would. That interview was terrible. He needs to stop acting like such a fan of his guests. It's really bad.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Whoops, didn't realize we had multiple Fallon threads.

Yeah, that performance was pretty great. I loved how they brought in the dolphin and have a half-ass boat float in the background on a stick. :lol

ok I give this another chance..tried to watch it during its first week

still not a fan, but he has atleast got a better presence during interviews

ZeoVGM

Banned
I gotta be honest, it's improving. His monologues have been pretty good lately. He still needs to stop telling his guests how big of a fan he is though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Fuck any and all haters. Fallon's show got really good. His interviews are better though still rough at times but his monologue and sketches are great.

His Lost parody is brilliant. :lol

I watch it less now thanks to losing Conan as his lead in though. I haven't watched Leno since his first night back but thought the Conan/Fallon pairing was great.

mooooose

I know one of the guys who was on last night. I really like Fallon too. Late night TV, as it is, is pretty horrible and Fallon has only been getting consistently better and better. He was always kinda destined to succeed, IMO. Things like his skits and The Roots adds a lot of personality.

element

DominoKid said:
its awesome now. i didnt think he had the chops for it when it started but he's gotten a lot better
its because he does his own thing. his first couple months he tried to stay to the late night formula, and it didn't work (monologue, banter bit, guest 1, segway 1, guest 2, segway 2, musical guest). His monologue's were awful, so now he says two things and off to skits and or interviews. His connection with guests is also really cool to see. Playing pictionary, charades, beer pong, horseshoes, other voices, and more. The gameshows (lick it for 10, wheel of carpet). This stuff is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom