• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Book : A laptop being made - $1499, Oct 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might get but not going for anything below 256 GB16 GB, depends on price

BTW, any word on charging cable, is it standard new usb, or custom connection?

CTLance

So we've come full circle and genuinely arrived back at the laptop, at apple levels of remuneration to boot? Neato.

Just joshing y'all. I'm kinda weirded out by this chimera. I'm sure it's very neat to be able to transform your pad into a notebook and back, obviously, but I kinda question the need for such a complex docking mechanism. I have a run of the mill Bluetooth keyboard for my tablet. Granted, it's not really the same, and in actual usage there is probably a case to be made for a better integration of "base station" and "screen", but still.

Weetrick

Nice, will buy. I've been without a laptop or tablet for a while so I've been itching for one. I was planning on getting the Surface Pro 4 but my mind has changed.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Tablet has a wacom digitizer, right?
This looks neat.

It's probably N-trig since MS owns them now

So we've come full circle and genuinely arrived back at the laptop, at apple levels of remuneration to boot? Neato.

Just joshing y'all. I'm kinda weirded out by this chimera. I'm sure it's very neat to be able to transform your pad into a notebook and back, obviously, but I kinda question the need for such a complex docking mechanism. I have a run of the mill Bluetooth keyboard for my tablet. Granted, it's not really the same, and in actual usage there is probably a case to be made for a better integration of "base station" and "screen", but still.

Well for artists and anyone working with a stylus, the reversible screen is a godsend.

Microsoft just built the exact laptop I've been looking for. I wish this was around when I bought my current one. I'm going to have to find an excuse to ditch the current one to get this. One year isn't too soon to upgrade, right?

Hybrids have kind of struggled because most of them tend to be a tablet with a keyboard.
This is the first thing I seen which might be able to pull off laptop/tablet capability seemlessly. Surface Pro has the problem of being too much like a laptop with loud fans and such.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
looks super dope - seems like Windows users will finally have a macbook-quality premium laptop to use!

Viewt

Damn, this thing looks dope as fuck. I'm an OSX guy, but if I was on Windows, this would absolutely be my next laptop. Great work, Microsoft.

Rion

I have a couple of questions:

Is there a fingerprint sensor on this?
Is the clipboard part really a full surface without any port?
Can you charge only the clipboard part?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Hype deflated.

That's for an i7, most storage and ram

My question is... does the laptop screen have a windows button?

Microsoft store has them up for preorder, and the dgpu isn't in the base models... in CAD, it's $2500 for the first one that does

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Looks fucking amazing, would definitely be a no brainer for me if I was in the market for a new laptop, the Surface 3 has been one of my best tech purchases ever.

Radec

Fullbleed.jpg

Was wanting another Macbook.

There are never good laptops with the same hardware as a Mac, and the Mac OS I am running has been solid after so many years.

I want to believe this will be great.

128GB / Core Intel i5 - 8GB = $1499.00
256GB / Core Intel i5 - 8GB = $1699.00
256GB / Core Intel i5 - 8GB / dGPU = $1899.00
256GB / Core Intel i7 - 8GB / dGPU = $2099.00
512GB / Core Intel i7 - 16GB / dGPU = $2699.00

A little less enthusiasm after seeing the pricing, but still interested.

kingocfs

e6997e73_heart-attack.gif

P44

eh, that's macbook pro tier pricing, but this does a fair bit more

I'm not over the moon, but, I expected something like this.

fuzzyset

Yeah, not surprising though. Same ball park as the Retina Macbook Pros which is the direct competition. Are they customizable at all? Silly that only that top comes with 16GB ram.

The microsoft store site says the pen works with other surface devices, does that mean you can get 1024 levels of sensitivity even on regular surface tablets and older surface pro tablets?

harSon

Banned
I'm selling my Surface Pro 3 and Dell XPS 13 (2015) and purchasing one of these. I was on the fence until that shit detached.

This was bound to be expensive, but then so are Macs and they are they obvious competition. If this is as well put together as the Surface 3, it will be a really great bit of kit.

I think I'll wait until BF to decide for sure but I may be in for that top model with 16GBs since I'm in the market for a new laptop anyway.

IIRC I payed about the same for my Envy 17 a few years back.

Rion

After seeing the price options, I just lost all my interest in the Surface Book, it's not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom