• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Book : A laptop being made - $1499, Oct 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, not surprising though. Same ball park as the Retina Macbook Pros which is the direct competition. Are they customizable at all? Silly that only that top comes with 16GB ram.

Doesn't look like they're customizable. The Surface Pro 4 has some customization options (Processor, Memory, Storage), but there's no such option on the Surface Book store page.

Zabka

After seeing the price options, I just lost all my interest in the Surface Book, it doesn't worth it.

How much were you expecting it to go for?

I'm surprised some people are shocked by the price. Can you even get a dual gpu 13-inch MBP?

128GB / Core Intel i5 - 8GB = $1499.00
256GB / Core Intel i5 - 8GB = $1699.00
256GB / Core Intel i5 - 8GB / dGPU = $1899.00
256GB / Core Intel i7 - 8GB / dGPU = $2099.00
512GB / Core Intel i7 - 16GB / dGPU = $2699.00

A little less enthusiasm after seeing the pricing, but still interested.

I suppose it all hinges on the capabilities of the tablet. If it offers the capabilities and features of the SP4, the prices are justifiable. IMO, the model without a dedicated GPU is a waste of time and money. It's the entire selling point of the system. So the real starting price is $1900, or more than $2,000 after taxes. For a 13" laptop.

That's still too much to spend for a 13" laptop IMO, but again...if the tablet section is a performance equivalent to the SP4, one could justify it. If it's anything less, it's a non-starter. It's just too much.

And I hate to go back to it, but I am rather offended that they spent 30 minutes upselling me on how cool this dedicated gpu system is and associating that performance with a $1500 price tag only for us to find out that said price tag doesn't even get you a dedicated gpu of any kind at all. It's completely out of nowhere. Say what you will about Apple, but that info would have been laid plain on a single slide with every price point.

Just a bit disappointed. At first because 15" is really where I think I want to be on my next laptop (coming down from 17"), but now because I got fed some bullshit with a smile.

Geforce GPU... verrryyyy descriptive.

also a concern. PC makers know PC buyers want the real details. Its absence here is conspicuous.

That's not unreasonable, is it?

Fou-Lu

Prices are a bit high for me, but I am really impressed by the design. Might get a future generation of it when I am looking for a laptop again.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
At very least we can all agree that Panos utterly nailed its unveiling. The mic drop with the Surface Book reveal was so strong it cratered the entire room. I cannot believe how far things have gone since the ugly, typically businessy Microsoft Surface 1 reveal.

And the Fedora Hype Man was amazing.

jett

D-Member

I'm gonna have to go with yeaaaah no.

That's not unreasonable, is it?

We don't have anything to compare it to at the moment. Skylake is fresh off out of the factories. we'll know more when the Skylake wave of 3rd party systems from Asus, Samsung, Dell, Lenovo, HP etc. come out. with their own convertibles and tablets. What we do know is that the competitor it was comparing itself to the most (MacBook Pro) performs less but also costs less and has yet to receive its Skylake updates.

This is most certainly a "wait", no?

Loxley

I'm taking one for the team. Pre-ordered the 256GB i5 model - final tally (with standard shipping + tax) was $2,031.93.

Okay Microsoft, don't make me regret this *nervous laughter*.

Forsete

Gold Member
Wish they had a i7 model without the GPU. Dont play games on laptops, no need for it really. Intels built in GPU is good enough these days.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
We don't have anything to compare it to at the moment. Skylake is fresh off out of the factories. we'll know more when the Skylake wave of 3rd party systems from Asus, Samsung, Dell, Lenovo, HP etc. come out. with their own convertibles and tablets.

They will have to be convertible AND come with an excellent pen to be remotely comparable.

Seeing how mediocre have been the vanilla Surface competitors, I'm not holding my breath. Shit may be expensive, but Microsoft is definitely doing what others don't.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I've reached out to our IT department. They need to buy me one for work. NEED.

Milchjon

At very least we can all agree that Panos utterly nailed its unveiling. The mic drop with the Surface Book reveal was so strong it cratered the entire room. I cannot believe how far things have gone since the ugly, typically businessy Microsoft Surface 1 reveal.

And the Fedora Hype Man was amazing.

I loved fedora man.

He was like a late night shopping channel hard sell guy.

Was waiting for him to throw in a 5 piece kitchen knife set FOR FREE.

We don't have anything to compare it to at the moment. Skylake is fresh off out of the factories. we'll know more when the Skylake wave of 3rd party systems from Asus, Samsung, Dell, Lenovo, HP etc. come out. with their own convertibles and tablets. What we do know is that the competitor it was comparing itself to the most (MacBook Pro) performs less but also costs less and has yet to receive its Skylake updates.

It's a wait, yes. But for people who use a laptop like this for work, it's a bit what i expected.

But yes, wait. It will be interesting to see the differences in a couple of months

It could be great quality though.

Haines

Banned
Just bought a sp3 a few weeks ago. Ill wait til the book 2 comes out. Looks neat but not sure i see why everyone clamoring over it. I guess bc its not just a slightly upgraded sp3 but you are going to pay for it..

They will have to be convertible AND come with an excellent pen to be remotely comparable.
Sure, and they probably will. Probably at some lesser quality for 70% of the price of this device before discounts.

I suppose the question is: how big is the audience that's ready and willing to spend $2,000 for a 13" Microsoft/Windows convertible with unknown specs in critical areas (CPU, GPU)? And how reasonable is it to assume that Asus, Lenovo, HP, Dell and others will fail to put out an extremely competitive product for much less?

Again, it's a "wait", no? Unless money is burning a hole in your pocket and you're desperate for a new 13" laptop.

Anyone think the hinges look funky?

Like, in 10 years, it will look like retro 80s space tech.

Wonder if that design will improve in future generations. I'm also bothered that the keyboard is the same colour as the laptop.

At least my research for finding a new laptop is easier:

either I go with another Macbook pro (which has served me so well for like 7 years), or I go with this Windows Surface Book. That Dell XPS laptop is still a frontrunner right?

I just want the Surfacebook to have the same build quality as a Macbook. My Macbook is going 7 years and hasnt fallen apart like my last HP laptop.

P44

I've reached out to our IT department. They need to buy me one for work. NEED.

Should have used my email template bro:

RE: Surface Book Requisition

hqdefault.jpg

I don't see how this is even remotely of good value.

I can get ultrabooks at the $1000 usd range with the same specs for a $1499.

And $1800-2000 i7 ultrabook with a GPU compared to that ridiculous $2699.

Chris R

Why can't they detail the specs exactly? I'd expect that from Apple, but not from Microsoft on a $1900 machine.

Think I'll just go with the SP4 and hold out for 2nd gen Surface Book. Just a bit more than what I can justify at the moment.

Although I'm curious if that Nvidia card is CUDA--would love to be able to grade video in Resolve using this.

This is exactly the type of device I was looking for to replace my 5 year old Macbook Pro...but not at this price. Will probably go with a Surface Pro 4 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom