• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Book : A laptop being made - $1499, Oct 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it cost less than the MacBook if it didn't have a pen or touch screen.

It needs a touchscreen, because it's still a tablet.

Maybe next year they have a surface laptop that doesn't have a touchscreen (and can't detach from the base)?

Loxley

Engadget's initial impressions:

At three and a half pounds, the Surface Book feels heavier than I expected. But then I remembered it's been a while since I've reviewed a Windows laptop like this. Most of the Windows notebooks that cross my desk these days compete on thinness and lightness, sometimes at the expense of performance. Microsoft is taking a different approach: the Surface Book is as well built as any MacBook, and claims to be as powerful too, but the tradeoff is that it's also about as heavy as a MacBook Pro. If you compare it to the Dell XPS 13 or Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro you might be disappointed by its heft, but then, you'd also me putting it in the completely wrong class of product.

Before I get to performance, though, I do want to linger on the design. The Surface Book is gorgeous. Solid. Yes, its aluminum design and blunt edges bear some similarity to the MacBook Pro, but it still feels every bit worth its $1,499 price tag. It belongs in a small echelon of truly premium, luxurious-feeling computers, with the MBP and even the Chromebook Pixel making for some good company.

You're probably wondering about the keyboard. It's okay. In my quick demo, I didn't exactly make a lot of typos, but the buttons felt a tad sticky, meaning they didn't bounce back quite the way I would have expected, given how much travel they have. Only time (and a full review period) will tell if this is really what it's like to use the keyboard, and if it's something one can get used to. If you want my first impression, though, I felt myself typing a little more gingerly than I would have expected, considering how pillowy the buttons are, and considering how sturdy the underlying metal frame is.

Like the Google Pixel, the Surface Book has an oddly sized display (13.5 inches in this case) that's a little taller than you're probably used to. This was deliberate: In tablet mode, Microsoft wanted it to have the same "paper pad" shape as the Surface Pro 3 and new Surface Pro 4. The resolution is 3,000 x 2,000, amounting to an impressive 227 pixels per inch. It's as crisp and vibrant as you'd expect on a device that costs $1,400 and can double as a tablet.

Well, "most" of that computer, I should say: The tablet itself is home to the sixth-generation Core CPU and one of two batteries, while the NVIDIA GPU and secondary battery live inside the keyboard base. (Microsoft rates maximum battery life at 12 hours, which would be excellent for a laptop in this class.) I suppose I'd feel even more awed if Microsoft had literally squeezed the MacBook Pro's guts into a 0.3-inch-thick device. Still, this is one of those moments where even I, the seasoned gadget reviewer said to myself, "It's amazing what you can do with technology these days." It really is.

I did get to see the Surface Book in action, by the way. It was powering two 4K displays and handling 3D models in the Siemens NX design app like a champ. This is, of course, the reason we revisit devices in full reviews: to put gadgets through their paces in real-world use. That said, what I saw today bodes very well.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just got sent the fact sheet.

JETyBtP.png

No info on the GPU, but I didn't hear about the on-board memory during the presentation.

So... Is the 50% faster than Macbook Pro claim based on the base models of both? Or the top of the line? Or is it just a processor-to-processor comparison? I'd assume they compared the base models, but the Discrete GPS being an add-on makes me question that.

(I'm not doubting the speed difference, Skylake alone could account for that, but I do want to know what models they're talking about)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So... Is the 50% faster than Macbook Pro claim based on the base models of both? Or the top of the line? Or is it just a processor-to-processor comparison? I'd assume they compared the base models, but the Discrete GPS being an add-on makes me question that.

(I'm not doubting the speed difference, Skylake alone could account for that, but I do want to know what models they're talking about)

Never pay attention to those comparisons. They are almost universally very misleading, no matter if they come from Microsoft, Apple or Samsung. Wait for the benchmarks.

giga

It's probably comparing the dgpu to the Intel iris.

Willectro

Banned
Too expensive for me. It's a lot of money for something that isn't the best at any single function. I can see the appeal depending on what the user's specific needs are.

As a current SP3 owner I really wanna upgrade to the exact same model (i5/256 SSD) in this form factor to make typing in my lap that much better. I just built a gaming rig so I'm not concerned with the dGPU at all. Wondering if I can cover half the cost by selling my SP3.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I just got sent the fact sheet.

JETyBtP.png

No info on the GPU, but I didn't hear about the on-board memory during the presentation.

1GB GDDR5?

1?! My rMBP's 750M with 2GB is pretty much garbage.

I can't imagine this being anything worthwhile for 1GB, even if the actual chip performs slightly better.

f0lken

I wonder about the battery, they say 12 hours, but that is the keyboard attached, how many hours would be in just tablet form? I hope is at least as good as the SP4, but that would make the SB a 22-24 hours of battery use which would be insane, but then again all previews say that the keyboard attachment is even heavier than the tablet part so much of the battery should be in there.

I might settle for the base price. I get the thinner tablet and extra battery power.
Only doing some sketching on Photoshop or Manga Studio

f0lken

Too expensive for me. It's a lot of money for something that isn't the best at any single function. I can see the appeal depending on what the user's specific needs are.

Obviously we need to wait for reviews, but at what function preciselly it is not the best? The first thing as a photographer I think will be the best is at editing and creating in photoshop, the SP was already one of the best ways to do digital art, and this with an even bigger Surface (pun intended) should be top tier at that

Looks good(even if it is pricey) but I can't deal with heft. Been using this heavy af inspirion 14 for three years and I going to switch to something lighter.

I guess I will go to Microsoft store to get a feel before I decide.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Design is stunning. Really impressed.
I kinda wish Apple went with this angle, I simply can't stand a Windows OS on a portable device so I can't jump in on weird designs like this.

Also, these prices are way too high.

Kibbles

It means the tablet part has a CPU and GPU instead of one chip doing both jobs. Meaning it can run some games/apps much better.

The specs are still a bit unknown though like what GPU.
So the base model still has the nvidia gpu in the keyboard?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Will this bring down the prices of the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3? I'm probably going back to school next spring and want a new semi-cheap laptop but a laptop-tablet hybrid would be nice, and I'm on a serious budget.

Pagusas

Elden Member
could I use my powerful desktop to stream games to my surface book when I want to play them mobile? That would save me the need to buy the dgpu version (really only talking Civ5 here, things like the Witcher 3 will only be played in the home theater).

Servbot24

Banned
Anyone know if it is possible to use the Surface as a display for iMac for Photoshop usage (essentially making it function like a Cintiq)? That will be very important as I decide whether to get this or iPad Pro (which does have that capability).

wachie

Thoughts after rewatching the conference.

• Surface Book is awesome design let down by the slight over-pricing and middling upgrade options.
  • That trademark Microsoft messaging (confusing/hiding specs, details), not cool.
  • The biggest selling selling point (detachable design) is so appealing because the SP4 isn't that big a departure from SP3.
  • SP3 is now a great buy with the clearout sales matched with the new keyboard.
  • Going back to the phrase that Panos used "Do you double down, or reinvent the category again? I'll tell you what we chose", obviously they chose to go with the former for SP4 which makes SB the latter.
  • Phone pricing is way off mark, needs to be in-line with the Motos (Play/Style). I guess they don't want Windows phone to take off or are really holding back for the eventual Surface Phone.
  • Missed a trick or two by not refreshing the entry level Surface. They need to take a leaf out of Apple, trot the flagship and bait with the entry level. Surface needs to go more mainstream.
  • Panos is a great asset for Microsoft devices, really looking forward to the eventual Xbox One Slim, will double dip.

UltraJay

The claims were SP4 = 50% faster than MacBook Air, SB = twice as fast as MacBook Pro. Those are just claims though and all they said was "faster" and nothing else.

tfur

How can these (SP4 and SB) not mention cellular modems in the specs. Did the Pro 3 have cellular networking? This has to be missing from the specs correct?

UltraJay

How can these (SP4 and SB) not mention cellular modems in the specs. Did the Pro 3 have cellular networking? This has to be missing from the specs correct?

They don't have them in the specs because they don't have them. They aren't phones. They're computers.

harSon

Banned
I'm excited to see what Microsoft brings to the table with the next Xbox. They're fucking killing it as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom