• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Book : A laptop being made - $1499, Oct 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I really wish it would get a 1060 in it, I just got my wife a new laptop (GS63vr) with a 1060, the thing kicks ass and takes names. And the laptop is so thin and light (3.9lbs and about the size of a Macbook Pro). If I could get that in a surface book it would be incredible.

Izuna

Banned
I think this latest update has introduced some sleep issues again. I have the 16gb ram, nvidia gpu, 512gb version.

I've had my surface book since launch and it feels slightly like similar issues I had to endure back then. My wife slept it a couple nights ago and it was still spitting out warm air like i was trying to play some pc game at full settings. Something was clearly wrong.

Also having issues coming out of sleep and having to restart altogether. Honestly tho as quick as this thing boots up and enables me to start using programs, i stopped using sleep altogether, but that doesn't mean this problem should exist.

---------------

I have literally the same fucking issue. I now shut my computer down when I get away from it. Thankfully SSDs exist otherwise I would go back to vanilla Windows 10.

I just had a firmware update and haven't noticed anything since, but one thing I hate SO much is the keyboard? turning off when I don't press anything for like 20 seconds. What the hell is up with that?

-----

also lol: http://www.vinereport.com/article/s...he-surface-book-successor-after-all/14116.htm

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'll be excited to see what they have in store for the sequel. I have high hopes for Nvidia's new GPUs, which I would think they would use for the next one.

Skilletor

omg this fucking laptop. I have been having trouble with windows notifications hanging and causing windows explorer to freeze. It would go away for a moment if you pressed the windows key.

I was also having a problem using edge and chrome with websites, particularly gaf, becoming unresponsive. I was pretty much not able to use the internet on this device.

I googled the problem, and it's a known one, and found a fix. Apparently it's related to the audio driver. I installed a new driver, and it seems to be working for now.

I have to say, for the price this laptop costs, this has been the absolute worst experience I have ever had with an electronic device. My advice for people considering the surface book is definitely to wait a few months. I have had mine for almost a year, am on my 3rd laptop due to screen issues, and still have tons of software related issues. It's dreadful.

When it works, I love it, and can definitely justify the price. Unfortunately, the surface book has only worked about 5% of the time that I have had it.

I don't know why I keep bumping this thread other than to relate my absolutely horrible experience with this thing. I know people are probably looking for news on the next one. I'm just happy that mine seems to be working now.

Buyer Beware.

omg this fucking laptop. I have been having trouble with windows notifications hanging and causing windows explorer to freeze. It would go away for a moment if you pressed the windows key.

I was also having a problem using edge and chrome with websites, particularly gaf, becoming unresponsive. I was pretty much not able to use the internet on this device.

I googled the problem, and it's a known one, and found a fix. Apparently it's related to the audio driver. I installed a new driver, and it seems to be working for now.

I have to say, for the price this laptop costs, this has been the absolute worst experience I have ever had with an electronic device. My advice for people considering the surface book is definitely to wait a few months. I have had mine for almost a year, am on my 3rd laptop due to screen issues, and still have tons of software related issues. It's dreadful.

When it works, I love it, and can definitely justify the price. Unfortunately, the surface book has only worked about 5% of the time that I have had it.

I don't know why I keep bumping this thread other than to relate my absolutely horrible experience with this thing. I know people are probably looking for news on the next one. I'm just happy that mine seems to be working now.

Buyer Beware.
Can you link the driver? I'm having the same problem since the last motherfucking auto-update.

Skilletor

Can you link the driver? I'm having the same problem since the last motherfucking auto-update.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...732-288f-46bd-aec9-a658e56f3bd3?page=5&auth=1

pmocoaches response:

This is what I did and so far, so good. Working for 2 days without issue.
Device Manager ->Sound, Video and Game Comtrollers->RealtekHD. Go to Propertie. On driver tab select update.
Choose Browser My Computer, then Let me pick from a list. U check the Show Compatible Hardware box so you see everything. Browse to Microsoft as provider and select High Definition Audio Device. Ok and Next your way through the install and you should good to go.
I rebooted and haven't had a lock up since.
Good workaround until MS can update the driver.

The problem pops up if I put it to sleep, so I have to turn it off whenever I'm done using it, but no problems if I do that.

Fuck this thing. Sigh.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Buyer Beware.

So not the best laptop ever made?

So my broswer seems to be working since installing the non-working driver and rolling back.

And when this laptop isn't experiencing problems (this is the first week I've encountered them), it definitely is the best.

Skilletor

So my broswer seems to be working since installing the non-working driver and rolling back.

And when this laptop isn't experiencing problems (this is the first week I've encountered them), it definitely is the best.

Yeah, when it works, I love it.

Unfortunately, 1 year later, and those moments are rare (for me).

It's much better now and I'm actually able to use the laptop in my day to day life.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
When they finally fixed the sleep issue where it'd just turn the fuck off all the time while asleep a couple months back, this thing became became much more pleasant to use. I can close the screen, put it to sleep, open it up, it wakes up, what a fuckin notion! Only took them the better part of a year to get it working. It even works with the official dock now instead of constantly flickering off the attached monitor.

It really is a phenomenal machine when it works. Which is most of the time these days for me, thank goodness.

depward

Surface event happening in two days! Who is excited?

(Can't find the official link, so this'll have to do: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-surface-october-event-2016-10)

Surface Studio likely to be shown along with some refreshed hardware (apparently no real Surface Pro 5 or Surface Book 2?).

Still rocking my Surface Book. Was my third and after about nine months the tablet was disconnecting from the keyword about every 10 seconds, resulting in an audible, "Ba-da-dum... ba-da-bum" and 3-5 second screen freeze.

One year warranty hooked me up with a replacement. So now on my fourth.

Wait, so you can use the screen as a stylus? That's actually pretty cool. Too bad I can't afford one right now. I'll keep it in mind though, if I get this it'll already be at least 4x more powerful than my current PC.

So it seems like the Surface Book 2 is probably coming 2017 but I'm about to start grad school. Do you think this thing would be good for 4 years or are there any nagging flaws anyone has that people think I should wait or go for another laptop? I'm also wondering for people who haved used it in class the tablet functionality a substantial feature?

IMO SB's tablet feature is flawed with the battery life being so low. And the detach attach action is while clever, not very reliable. Also, the damn thing is too expensive.

Too many good cheap 2 in 1s and convertibles available IMO to spend that much on SB. Tons of options out there. HP, Dell, and Lenovo's pen convertibles are much more affordable and many of them allow you to get at the battery easily.

As for the tablet feature, if you can see yourself using the pen or make yourself use the pen, it's a great feature. But if you are perfectly happy taking notes with KB, then I think it's not needed.

A wee bit disappointed that SP5/SB2 news seems unlikely, but I guess I shouldn't have expected it seeing as early 2017 seems to be what everyone's saying is the most likely date for those.

Always nice seeing new tech, although I was really hoping it'd drive people to sell their current stuff a little cheaper. :p

I'm excited for new hardware always. My poor sb got a dent after airplane travel, rip resale value.

I'll buy it at a moderate price. *waggles eyebrows*

how would you buy just the base by itself though?

apparently the improved battery life of the SB 1.5 is only in the base correct? How bad is the tablet only battery?
Three and a bit hours or so, with very active use.

The thing is light as a feather and sharp as fuck. I doodle on the couch every night while my wife is watching Gilmore Girls.

What's the purpose of the Surface Pro now? Why don't they just sell a Surface Book without the extra stuff in the base (dGPU and Battery)?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
What's the purpose of the Surface Pro now? Why don't they just sell a Surface Book without the extra stuff in the base (dGPU and Battery)?

because the surface pro would get better battery life. The surface pro is also smaller screen than the surface book. Think of it like the Macbook Air to the Macbook Pro.

The new surfacebook is nice, but i wanted surfacebook 2 and the ability to put 32gb of ram in the thing.

dLMN8R

The Surface Book screen needs to be a lot lighter than the Surface Pro 4 to ensure it's balanced when using the keyboard. This leaves it with a very small battery, maybe 1/3 the size of the Surface Pro's battery.

So the Book's screen is really light when detached, but it's not intended to be used as a tablet for more than 2-3 hours at a time.

The Book's screen is also a lot thinner than the Pro, because it doesn't have a USB port or others which the Pro has.

So to converge the devices entirely, you either need to make the Book's screen thicker and heavier and cause it to topple over when it's just sitting there, or you need to sacrifice a lot of features and capabilities which make the Pro great on its own.

Futureman

Three and a bit hours or so, with very active use.

The thing is light as a feather and sharp as fuck. I doodle on the couch every night while my wife is watching Gilmore Girls.

what brightness setting? Because w/ Photoshop and using anywhere between 50-75% brightness, I only get about 2.5-3 hours with my SP4 m3.

I do use Chrome but I thought they improved battery usage recently.

aaaaa0

I was just at the Microsoft Store.

They let me plug a Surface Book i5 Clipboard into the new Surface Book i7 Performance Base, and guess what? It actually worked. The i5 detected the new GPU and batteries and everything.

Then they warned me that was unsupported configuration and could lead to future problems. So they aren't planning to sell the new i7 Base separately. :(

what brightness setting? Because w/ Photoshop and using anywhere between 50-75% brightness, I only get about 2.5-3 hours with my SP4 m3.

I do use Chrome but I thought they improved battery usage recently.
I'm usually at 50% or 75% as well, using clip studio pro and the edge browser.

batrush

Looking for a new Windows machine and I'm looking at this and the New Razer Blade Stealth. Anyone used PCSX2 with this? How would it perform running games at 2x or 3x native resolution?

I was just at the Microsoft Store.

They let me plug a Surface Book i5 Clipboard into the new Surface Book i7 Performance Base, and guess what? It actually worked. The i5 detected the new GPU and batteries and everything.

Then they warned me that was unsupported configuration and could lead to future problems. So they aren't planning to sell the new i7 Base separately. :(

I didn't even realise buying the 'base' separately was possible.

So SB2 are coming in early 2017? I've been needing to get a new laptop for a while and this suits my needs. I was thinking Janurary or Feburary, but I bet by early, they mean unveiled in march and released in April. Lol

Totakeke

Considering they just redesigned the internals of the base, I don't think there'll be another revision so soon. Probably another year.

LowParry

Searched and couldn't find anything. Anyone using a surface dock? I can't seem to get any of the display ports to work. I'm using a mini display to display/hdmi and neither of them work. I've updated the firmware on the dock and have all updates done. Is this just not compatible with the dock? Any known fixes?

Edit: The odd thing is I can have the dock plugged into the tablet part and it works just fine. When plugged into the keyboard, it does not work. Is this a case of the keyboard component not working?

SFenton

Searched and couldn't find anything. Anyone using a surface dock? I can't seem to get any of the display ports to work. I'm using a mini display to display/hdmi and neither of them work. I've updated the firmware on the dock and have all updates done. Is this just not compatible with the dock? Any known fixes?

Edit: The odd thing is I can have the dock plugged into the tablet part and it works just fine. When plugged into the keyboard, it does not work. Is this a case of the keyboard component not working?

I use the dock and I've never had your issue. Faulty dock maybe?

derFeef

So SB2 are coming in early 2017? I've been needing to get a new laptop for a while and this suits my needs. I was thinking Janurary or Feburary, but I bet by early, they mean unveiled in march and released in April. Lol

Yeah I am satarting to save up for SB2. I was so close to buying the refresh but nope, I need some imrpovements with the hinge, battery and the GPU.
Hopefully my SP3 will still be sellable by then, heh.

I'm really curious to see what they're going to do with the SB2.

I'm still fucking in love and blown away by my SB.

The only thing that could maybe make me consider selling it and refreshing is a 15" model as storyboarding lately has been great, but more screen real estate is always appreciated.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I got a Surface Book at work today to replace a Surface Pro 3. I have been looking forward to using this as my main development device and deprecating my MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, it looks like I got a bad unit. It kept doing this within a few minutes of booting:

1rDoM4M.jpg

It becomes unresponsive when this happens and I have to do a hard reset. I managed to avoid this behavior (by not hooking it up to the dock and external monitors) long enough to download all system updates, but it didn't help the problem. I decided to try a factory reset and got most of the way through that, but it threw up an error message toward the end about an unexpected problem preventing Windows from installing and to please restart the machine. If I do that, it just repeats the behavior, so the device is effectively bricked at the moment. I never had any trouble with the SP3 and I know this is a one-off thing, but it's still frustrating.

Water

Surface Book is heading to Norway. Really not sure if I'm going to get this one or wait for Book 2.
It's a (further) insult if they trot out the old hardware now at full price. Should just release the next one simultaneously in the markets they've snubbed so far. I see absolutely no reason to withhold hardware when they could put it on EU-wide webstore exactly as Apple does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom