• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

I really think it sets a terrible precedent for the UFC to be sponsoring and backing a fighter as outwardly as they are of JBJ in this match. Imagine this goes to a close or controversial decision and JBJ gets the nod.

People will be calling shenanigans like no other.

Next thing Uncle Dana will be selling toys, shirts, and caps like Vince at events.
I don't like it either.

I really think it sets a terrible precedent for the UFC to be sponsoring and backing a fighter as outwardly as they are of JBJ in this match. Imagine this goes to a close or controversial decision and JBJ gets the nod.

Next thing Uncle Dana will be selling toys, shirts, and caps like Vince at events.
JBJ is the UFC's John Cena.

TheNatural

My Member!
It's not going to effect anything. If Jones loses, it's going to be on his own doing (unless he gets fucked himselves in a decision.) UFC did the same thing with Liddell and it didn't stop him from getting KO'ed by Rampage and his career downfall.

Heel

I think it comes down to the fact that the UFC wants their best fighter representing them when making appearances, not Jesus Didn't Tap or The Gun Store.

Now, why the UFC would want The Reem representing them after recent events is a whole other can of worms. Even if he did beat Brock.

TheNatural

My Member!
And honestly, if it's something to get Affliction the fuck out of MMA apparel, I'm all for it. Jones weigh in shirt:

ufc-jon-jones-weigh-in-shirt.jpg

Not that I'm going to buy it or anything, but it's 10000000000 times better than the shitty skull art color shit MMA'ers pf all kinds always wear. I wouldn't feel like a retard wearing that shirt compared to the other shit out there.

Heel

How much of WWE's revenue is from merchandising? The UFC isn't satisfied with only taking a percentage from sponsors. They want the whole pie from their major stars.

TheNatural

My Member!
How much of WWE's revenue is from merchandising? The UFC isn't satisfied with only taking a percentage from sponsors. They want the whole pie from their major stars.

That's the main area WWE kicks UFC's ass in is licensing and merchandising. If UFC could make some decent looking shirts that aren't $60 apiece they could probably increase their revenue a ton.

DKehoe

Why doesn't a company like Nike get more into making walk out shirts? Surely they could do pretty well. Not that I love Nike or anything but most MMA gear is just horrible.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That's the main area WWE kicks UFC's ass in is licensing and merchandising. If UFC could make some decent looking shirts that aren't $60 apiece they could probably increase their revenue a ton.

Judging by how little they update on air graphics its no surprise their merch is shitty.

TheNatural

My Member!
Why doesn't a company like Nike get more into making walk out shirts? Surely they could do pretty well. Not that I love Nike or anything but most MMA gear is just horrible.

They're too busy paying off recruits to come play for Nike schools in basketball to focus on MMA.

Heel

so is Heel coming around to accepting sports entertainment?

are we having a monday night wars chat?

I came around to the Sports Entertainment era in this thread many months ago, friend. I have seen the light.

Let's talk about the Friday night wars. How is Bellator doing against TUF now that it's floundering?

FrontRowBrian said:
Jon Jones' UFC sponsorship deal is worth up to $1,000,000 but he has an opt out for Nike, Reebok, adidas, and Under Armour.
damn.

As for TUF and Bellator, TUF is pulling low numbers as far as TUF goes historically, but it's also slotted on Friday night which is a major reason for the low numbers. Bellator also has lower numbers than their Summer Series had, but their season high was last Friday when they were all probably bored to sleep by Askren.

As far as competition between the two goes, TUF of course has a much larger number and FX is happy with it because the ratings are much higher than anything else they've ever put on a Friday.

Basically, TUF's ratings are good for FX, bad for the UFC. Bellator's lower than they were when they were competing with UFC PPVs on Saturdays.

DKehoe

Thats where this quote came from right?

“It adds a little pressure. I find it fun, I just find it fun. You know, that’s all. I definitely don’t consider myself Muhammed Ali. You know, I thought Muhammed Ali had many flaws in the person that he was, but at the same time, you know, I love Muhammed Ali. I’m a huge fan of Muhammad Ali, you know, I’ve watched every interview he’s ever done, I’ve read the Muhammed Ali book, you know I have his autographs by Cassius Clay, I have his autographs by Muhammed Ali. I’m a huge fan, huge fan of Muhammed Ali, but I’m not trying to be Muhammed Ali. I just try to be the best Jonathan B. Jones that there ever was. You know, I want to do things better than Muhammad Ali. So, I just find it fun. You know, I was never came out and was like ‘Yo, I want to be like Ali, and put me on the cover under water’, that was the UFC’s idea. I mean, the people on the outside look at me in a positive regard and I’m truly honored and I think it’s awesome, what it does, for most young fighters it would probably get to their head and they start saying ‘Aw, I’m the man now’, you know, ‘Look at this cover’ – it would deteriorate a lot of young fighters. Me, it motivated me, it empowers me to train harder and realize that if I don’t become great than Muhammed Ali it’s my own fault. So, I realize that and it pushes me harder. That’s why I train five times a day.”

TheNatural

My Member!
Thats where this quote came from right?

I'm a big Ali fan, but he has a point. Ali wasn't the nicest guy in the world, had about 50 women, really really went after Joe Frazier personally when he helped and supported Ali. I don't think there's a more charasmatic athlete in sports history that backed it up than Ali, but he wasn't the nicest guy in the world to a lot of people. I don't think Frazier liked Ali until the day he died.

Ironically Jones is putting himself in the same category as Ali in alienating people. I don't think people remember many, many people did not like Ali back then.

Muhammad Ali was a scumbag, why wouldn't Jones want to shoot down any comparisons to him? Jonny Bones Jones is a genuinely good guy. He's the kind of guy you'd want your daughter to marry.

TheNatural

My Member!
Don't worry brah, we can ask Anderson this summer. :)

Not happening. I'm just enforcing my ban on you-know-who.

Besides, as many people as there are talking about you-know-who, the same ones have GIF's in Anderson's PRIDE days 7, 8, 9 years ago to tell us how shitty Silva really is so it's unnecessary.

Not happening. I'm just enforcing my ban on you-know-who.

Besides, as many people as there are talking about you-know-who, the same ones have GIF's in his PRIDE days 7, 8, 9 years ago to tell us how shitty Silva really is so it's unnecessary.
Ya, he's only considered one of the P4P best cuz he's hiding out in the UFCE from all those Japanese submission artists. He'd get crushed if he fought in DEEP.

TheNatural

My Member!
Ya, he's only considered one of the P4P best cuz he's hiding out in the UFCE from all those Japanese submission artists. He'd get crushed if he fought in DEEP.

Must be. Anderson must rue the day he never got the chance to avenge his Chonan loss during Ryo's spectacular UFC run. He must live vicariously through much stronger martial artists like TJ Grant and Brad Blackburn for vengeance.

TheNatural

My Member!
They are both fucking cry babies.

"SHAD STOP INTERRUPTING ME!"

*Bones tears up*

Rashad has a team hangup for whatever reason. I watched the whole TUF season with him against Rampage and all he did was bitch about how Rampage really wasn't there for "his" fighters emotionally or something. Then tried to play some grade school drama talking to his team "hay guys you can join my clique we're way kewl over here and I'll care about you too and we can cuddle."

Fuck, the whole show is about guys "training" for a few weeks, 99% with actual coaches and the fighters just being the draw for the show, and he's acting like a drama queen over it. Wonder how many of those guys he supposedly cared about then he keeps in contact with now.

That's the main reason I don't like the guy. He whined then, and he whines now about Greg Jackson. This is MMA, not a fucking team sport, get the fuck over it. The guy lives drama, and over dumb shit.

TheNatural

My Member!
Natural, I can forgive Anderson for losing as a young pup at a few months shy of 30, but if he loses in the midst of his prime against Chael it will be unforgivable. Surely you agree.

He already beat him. Chael's not going to stop him, so yeah he could lose - if Chael lays on him for 5 rounds and the clock expires. I don't think that's going to happen, especially without Chael's 17:1 roid boost.

Top Bottom