• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

The only loss of the 3 that Fedor legitimately should have lost was against Big Foot, the dude was just too overwhelming for Fedor, size and weight was quite huge. In his prime Fedor could mess him up but not now.

The other two fights Fedor was just really sloppy. Should have easily beat Hendo and Verdum. His ground game was just so sloppy after he knocked both guys to the ground, I have no idea how he became so reckless. Both those fights should have been his.

dream

I'm conflicted about Shinya Aoki.

zgr0rsad9qmn4pkv96a6.png

kyuednczhscspjbgyh25.png

On one hand, I love the fact that he understands MMA is pro wrestling. I respect the fact that he values entertaining the fans more than being a generic Miller brother. On the other hand, he's just...not a good fighter.

It's vexing. ):

(although...lol@him saying you shouldn't pad your record by beating cans)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I like to think personality doesn't matter but then I realize I despise Jon Jones because the guy seems like such a toolbox in real life and I get all confused.

dream

That's because personality matters as much when they're selling us QRJ vs Bones Jones as it did when Vince was selling us Hulk Hogan vs Randy Savage, Chamber.

Sorry to you guys who think the OP is a troll job, but it's full of insight in my opinion. Separating the fighters from the athletes was ingenious, along with my favorite picture of Rashad Evans in existence. I don't share the opinion that MMA is not a real sport simply based on the fact that personality sells though. We've seen probably every popular sport out there get sold with personalities, especially the NBA in the 80s and 90s. Using personality to sell a sport and excitement mattering more than winning is not exclusive to MMA and does not invalidate its status as a legit sport. In the pre-shot clock era a team that got a comfortable lead and felt like playing keepaway for the 2nd through 4th quarter would get booed just as much as an MMA fighter trying to win by preventing a fight from breaking out be it by LnP, wall-n-stall, TnTnTnTnTnP or a jab-fest.

As for Aoki, the dude tapped Eddie Alvarez and handed him his last loss. A loss to Gil makes him a bad fighter?

Bishman

New thread! I just saw this and good job with the OP!

Guess who is going to the fan expo? ME! I can't wait to meet Anderson Silva.

sien916 said:
Let's be real...GSP vs. Diaz is gonna be a scrap brahs. Looking forward to it.

Same here! It is my most hyped fight right behind Jones vs Rampage.

What fighters are currently ranked in the Top 10 pound for pound rankings?

The full top 10 (with point totals) include as per Yahoo:
1. Anderson Silva 200 (20 first-place votes)
2. Georges St. Pierre 180
3. Jose Aldo 150
4. Jon Jones 145
5. Frankie Edgar 114
6. Dominick Cruz 105
7. Cain Velasquez 71
8. Jon Fitch 34
9. Gilbert Melendez 32
10. Gray Maynard 32

Why are we using Yahoo's pound for pound list? No way Jon Jones should be ranked over Frankie Edgar and Fitch. Cmon son! Cain Velasquez is on the list and we have only seen him fight once and that was last year. We should be using Sherdog's pound for pound list. Their list is more credible. Sherdog has covered MMA since day one.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-Pound-for-Pound-Top-10-35177

1. Anderson Silva
2. Georges St. Pierre
3. Jose Aldo
4. Frankie Edgar
5. Jon Fitch
6. Jon Jones
7. Jake Shields
8. Gilbert Melendez
9. Dominick Cruz
10. Mauricio Rua

Jake. said:
i am the biggest aoki fan there is, yet he is still generally a gaping pussy.
So the guy is a bit more open with his emotions than the average tough guy fighter. Everyone can't and shouldn't be a manly alpha macho man.

So, who else here is buying tickets to GSP vs Diaz other than me?

Jake.

polyh3dron said:
So the guy is a bit more open with his emotions than the average tough guy fighter. Everyone can't and shouldn't be a manly alpha macho man.

nothing wrong with being an open/non-alpha du, but he takes it too far for a fighter. amazing to think that he was a cop, but it was in shizuoka where most of his day was probably spent writing out tickets for incorrectly parked bicycles.

h_a_t

Bishman said:
New thread! I just saw this and good job with the OP!

Guess who is going to the fan expo? ME! I can't wait to meet Anderson Silva.

Dude, so am I, on Friday at least.
:)

yacobod

Banned
dream said:
I'm conflicted about Shinya Aoki.

On one hand, I love the fact that he understands MMA is pro wrestling. I respect the fact that he values entertaining the fans more than being a generic Miller brother. On the other hand, he's just...not a good fighter.

nice find on that interview, i still don't think he's a good fighter, but wow there is a guy who really get's it. i do find it funny that people get upset or insulted when you call mma sports entertainment. prize fighting is never going to be the same as a team sport, nor should you look at it the same way. when you are in an individual competition, it's the personalities that draw the interest. why do you think boxing is stuck in a perpetual downward spiral? because they don't have the personalities that they used to dominating the scene. where are the Alis, the Tysons, the Leonards? along those lines, who do you think the Roman mob would enjoy more in the Colosseum, Anderson Silva or GSP? one guy styles on fools, entertains the fans, and delivers devastating knockouts or submissions, the other dude shoots for takedowns faster than a ferrari goes 0-60.

Bishman said:
Why are we using Yahoo's pound for pound list? No way Jon Jones should be ranked over Frankie Edgar and Fitch. Cmon son! Cain Velasquez is on the list and we have only seen him fight once and that was last year. We should be using Sherdog's pound for pound list. Their list is more credible.
1. Anderson Silva
2. Georges St. Pierre
3. Jose Aldo
4. Frankie Edgar
5. Jon Fitch
6. Jon Jones
7. Jake Shields
8. Gilbert Melendez
9. Dominick Cruz
10. Mauricio Rua

honestly I used yahoo's list because i thought it was a better list. why in the world is jon "cigarette break" ranked in the top 5? why is jake shields in the top 10 after his stink bomb against gsp? either way i will be updating the top 10 p4p list every month as it gets refreshed. same with the champions section and upcoming cards. at least i will try to keep it updated as long as i'm around.

polyh3dron said:
I really really really really really really really really really want to. I'll see how impulsive I'm feeling on Wednesday morning.

yacobod

Banned
Real talk: What ruleset do you think is beneficial for providing more exciting fights? The PrideFC ruleset or the current UFC unified rules. And Why?

I think the Pride ruleset is better because it actually encourages the guys to fight, and by virtue rewards the more aggressive fighter. I think overall it provides a more exciting fight and naturally leads to more finishes.

Nick Diaz breaks it down here. Fast forward to like 90 seconds.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
sien916 said:
Sorry guys, but am I really saying anything crazy in here? Apparently calling Fedor the greatest heavyweight is trolling, and Dan Henderson is a scrub. I didn't get the memo.

I'm not going to let uninformed opinions rewrite the history of the sport I love.

its the internet. someone will have a differing opinion - trolling or otherwise. just ignore that shit rather then playing along with it slinging poop everywhere.

yacobod said:
Real talk: What ruleset do you think is beneficial for providing more exciting fights? The PrideFC ruleset or the current UFC unified rules. And Why?

I think the Pride ruleset is better because it actually encourages the guys to fight, and by virtue rewards the more aggressive fighter. I think overall it provides a more exciting fight and naturally leads to more finishes.

I like the Pride rule set minus the soccer kicks. That just seems dangerous. Other than that I'd say the UFC unified rules are a bit arbitrary. No 12 to 6 elbows and no knees to a grounded opponent doesn't seem like its much of a help to the fighters.

rvy

Banned
yacobod said:

Obviously the PRIDE rules. Much more exciting.

dream

I think the unified rules are fine. It's the judging that's the problem.

I like Doc Hamilton's half-point system.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dream said:
I think the unified rules are fine. It's the judging that's the problem.

I like Doc Hamilton's half-point system.
yup. the most blatant example of how busted the judging is is that a guy can get reasonably outstruck during most of a round and score a drag-down takedown with :02 left and "clearly" win a round same as if he had been wrecking a guy on the feet but not rocked him 2+ times. nothing makes me sadder than seeing a guy try a desperate and pointless (in terms of finishing or even controlling the fight) takedown within the last ten seconds. this is all old stuff but also:
-guys need to get stood up/broken up faster
-if you do more damage/sub attempts from the bottom than the guy on top it needs to be at worse a draw. the judging puts a ridiculous disincentive to an active guard which can be easily one of the most exciting parts of mma. and yet i've seen so many fights where a guy on the bottom takes zero damage, tries three subs, almost locks in two, lands some nice strikes, and then "clearly" loses the round. since the best part of mma is about contrasting styles and creativity you shouldn't basically be given only one realistic option when you're on the ground.

Unified rules fucking blow. Wrestlers wouldn't be so fearless in shooting in for takedowns and the certain ground positions they exploit to stall if knees to the head of a grounded opponent were allowed. Elbows on the ground allow said wrestlers to keep "working" on the ground without creating the space for an opponent to counter whether it be by trying to get up or by going for a sub. PRIDE rules encouraged fighters to fight. Unified rules allow wrestlers to stop a fight from happening.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
polyh3dron said:
Unified rules fucking blow. Wrestlers wouldn't be so fearless in shooting in for takedowns and the certain ground positions they exploit to stall if knees to the head of a grounded opponent were allowed. Elbows on the ground allow said wrestlers to keep "working" on the ground without creating the space for an opponent to counter whether it be by trying to get up or by going for a sub. PRIDE rules encouraged fighters to fight. Unified rules allow wrestlers to stop a fight from happening.
jon jones has shown you can destroy people from full guard with elbows. i see just as many pitter patter punches keep fights on the ground. the problem isn't banning or not banning stuff it's putting up with tons of fake "activity"

dream

I actually think knees to the head would benefit good wrestlers more than it would benefit fighters from other styles.

yacobod said:

Pride + elbows. The biggest problem with unified rules is that it creates relatively safe positions. Having a takedown sprawled should have the guy in "holy shit I gotta get outta here" mode. Instead, we get a position where the fight isn't a fight and turns into a "when am I gonna take my hand off the ground?" game. Side mount and north south should be fearsome positions as well.

TheNatural

My Member!
"Mauricio "Shogun" Rua's manager Eduardo Alonso revealed that his client won't reject an opportunity to square off agianst "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" Tito Ortiz in his next bout. According to Alonso, Shogun would love to fight a legend, just like Lyoto Machida against Randy Couture back at UFC 129:

"I've been hearing some rumors, but until now there's nothing concrete about UFC. If it depends only on my plannings, he'd fight on December 31st, it'd be great. I'd really like him to fight Tito Ortiz since he's an icon of the sport and will soon retire. He didn't have the chance to fight (Randy) Couture, something Lyoto had the luck and credits to do, but I'd like to see this fight. It came from Tito himself, who challenged him, but we're realistic. I know it's not much likely, so it's only left for us to wait. Everybody knows Shogun doesn't pick his opponents, so we're opened to discussion. To me, the date (December 31st) is more important than the opponent." - TATAME

Shogun Rua is coming off a convincing victory over Forrest Griffin in the co-main event of UFC 134 in Rio, with sights on securing another shot at the UFC Light Heavyweight title. Statistics-wise, Tito Ortiz is not exactly the man to give Shogun that status, despite the victory over Ryan Bader and a somewhat heroic performance against Rashad Evans.

UFC Light Heavyweight division has a lot of potential match-ups for Shogun, with top-ranked fighters such as Phil Davis, Rich Franklin and even the Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion Dan Henderson currently waiting to discover the identity of their next opponent."

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
AstroLad said:
jon jones has shown you can destroy people from full guard with elbows. i see just as many pitter patter punches keep fights on the ground. the problem isn't banning or not banning stuff it's putting up with tons of fake "activity"

Yeah you just need a 10 foot wingspan.

dream said:
I actually think knees to the head would benefit good wrestlers more than it would benefit fighters from other styles.

Quite possibly but at least those boring wrestlers out there would be doing something to try to end a fight.

Can't even think of anyone Hughes would agree to fight...maybe another one with Hallman. I don't see him accepting Hendricks, Paulo Thiago, Ebersole, etc.

TheNatural

My Member!
BigKaboom2 said:
Can't even think of anyone Hughes would agree to fight...maybe another one with Hallman. I don't see him accepting Hendricks, Paulo Thiago, Ebersole, etc.

Royce wants a rematch. :p

thirty

Banned
BREAKING NEWS- Diego Sanchez broke his hand and is out of the Hughes fight.

cannot confirm or deny that it was from doing a Yes Cartwheel.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Brian Fellows said:
Yeah you just need a 10 foot wingspan.

Quite possibly but at least those boring wrestlers out there would be doing something to try to end a fight.
right if you aren't doing damage either for lack of technique or t-rex arms you should be stood up. this would solve a lot more problems

TheNatural

My Member!
And, Anderson proves even more why he's the best ever:

Did you fight him 100% physically fit?

As a matter of fact, no. A month before the fight I hurt my shoulder fighting with Junior dos Santos and came in Rio feeling pain. I had to take painkillers and advised the Athletic Commission about the medicine I took.

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=7608

Anderson at maybe a good 15-20% of health destroys a top contender. Amazing.

TheNatural said:
Yet, people were saying Okami had a big chance to win before the fight. Maybe they'll learn now not to pick against Anderson.
fucking this.

Only time I ever picked against him was for the Sonnen fight, I knew Okami had nothing for him. And honestly, I'll pick Sonnen again if they rematch though. Other than that, Anderson destroys any man in the world who weighs in at 185 lbs (that will actually fight him).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's not picking against Anderson so much as it's rooting against Anderson. I mean, some people are going to pick Rampage over Jones too (myself included).

thirty said:
BREAKING NEWS- Diego Sanchez broke his hand and is out of the Hughes fight.

cannot confirm or deny that it was from doing a Yes Cartwheel.
Ouch, that's a big hit to the Denver PPV.

It's funny that the last Versus card and this upcoming Strikeforce card are much more stacked than a couple upcoming UFC PPVs (Denver and San Jose)

Chamber said:
http://i.imgur.com/kgCBS.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

He actually pretty much said a fight with either fighter is not happening.

[url]http://esportes.terra.com.br/lutas/noticias/0,,OI5331725-EI15532,00-Anderson+Silva+descarta+luta+com+St+Pierre+ou+Jon+Jones.html[/url]

Translated by me.

[QUOTE] Anderson Silva turned down the possibility to fight dominant fighters in other categories, such as GSP and JJ. "You don't make changes on a winning team [It's a brazilian saying, Idk the literal translation]. Leave them with their problems and me with mine", said the Brazilian on Monday.[/QUOTE]

I think that's right. Dana wants GSP to go up, Anderson to go up, etc etc, if someone wants to fight GSP make 170 and do it, if someone wants to fight Anderson make 185 and do it.

Also, I posted this on the other thread:

Good interview with Lorenzo:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOdcsrO5D18&feature=player_embedded[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sXvW6r06nA&feature=player_embedded[/url]

Some fighters make millions, some make tens of millions a year. And that's before sponsorship or anything like that. He also says the obvious on why they don't divulge the real salaries of the fighters. I would guess the ones making tens of millions are:

Lesnar
GSP
Couture (before retiring)
Chuck (before retiring)
Anderson

Can't think of anyone else that could be making tens of millions a year, if we're talking about the ones making millions a year, the list would be quite long IMO

dream said:
Hey if the benefit is that they go for the finish rather than stalling, I'm all for it.

TheNatural said:
Yet, people were saying Okami had a big chance to win before the fight. Maybe they'll learn now not to pick against Anderson.
Okami did the exact opposite of what I expected him to do, so I don't feel that bad about picking him.

polyh3dron said:
Ouch, that's a big hit to the Denver PPV.

It's funny that the last Versus card and this upcoming Strikeforce card are much more stacked than a couple upcoming UFC PPVs (Denver and San Jose)

We don't even know what the Main Event and co-main event are for SJ yet.

Top Bottom