• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article I'm reading is fascinating. Apparently, 40% of all mammal species thought to have gone extinct in Australia since European colonisation due to habitat destruction have since been rediscovered. Some of them can be reintroduced to their old environments.

Where conservationists try to find bigger high-profile extinct animals that have died due to hunting, predation or disease (like the thylacine), they tend to fail, so the implication is that we'll get better conservation outcomes if we concentrate on those animals that:

1) Are small
2) Went "extinct" due to habitat destruction
3) Weren't specifically hunted by humans or introduced species

There's a freakonomics article in there somewhere.

One hour to go (I think).

Edag Plata said:
The conference is 1pm Japan time, right?

Wouldn't that be 12am EST instead of 1am EST? That's what my friend is telling me...?
Right, but the conference is at 2pm, at least according to some tweet some random Japanese person made...

AniHawk

PSGames said:
Any chance of 3ds being region free?

244wk1y.jpg

dvolovets

Michan said:
Americans will continue to eat up the DS for a long time; its sales show no sign of stopping. Nintendo could focus all of their efforts into a Japanese launch (where DS/Wii is slowing) and prepare enough units for an American/European launch some time next year. The DS will continue to sell, no matter what. Why should Nintendo sacrifice sales of their best-selling system in their biggest market?
The DS was released when the GBA was still selling a healthy amount of units in America. Sacrificing sales or not, they can't wait for the DS to stop selling completely...

Hamblasto

Ainaurdur said:
I just want good color options. Which I know we won't get, but I don't care. I still dream.

I kinda miss the clear/frosted colors from the GBA and earlier era (Glacier!). While they weren't the greatest of colors. I do miss getting to see the inside of the system.

Jeels

DS is not slowing in Japan. Wii is stagnant in all regions.

The DS has definitely slowed in Japan from what it used to do. Also, the Wii is doing much better in North America then it is in Japan, relatively (and obviously absolutely) speaking.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
perfectchaos007 said:
why is everyone so pumped for this conference? It's not like it's releasing in 2 hours. we are waiting for another wait basically.

I don't get this thinking!

PSGames said:
Man o man o man. Can't wait for more details. Any chance of 3ds being region free? If so I might import :D
Prolly not. You can blame the ability to have rated downloadable games. So due to the esrb we get boned out of having an all region system. Since classification between us, jp, and eu all have different standards.

I think we'll atleast get 3 colors at launch. The ones on Nintendo's site, Blue, Black, and Gray. There were also purple and orange models on the floor if you remember...

I won't be importing a 3DS unless it's region free, which it most likely won't be. :s

iammeiam

perfectchaos007 said:
why is everyone so pumped for this conference? It's not like it's releasing in 2 hours. we are waiting for another wait basically.

Well, if we get release date and price, I get to start obsessively checking Amazon to see if they're accepting preorders!

Also, indications point towards more info in general, possibly a few new games, etc.

mj1108

*stock goes up*

Iwata: (laughs)

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Oh. I thought it started at noon in Japan. Oh well.

I'm still kinda hungry... what should I snack on, GAF?

7:30pm here and I haven't even had dinner yet... :\

Ezduo

Banned
MidnightScott said:
I think we'll atleast get 3 colors at launch. The ones on Nintendo's site, Blue, Black, and Gray. There were also purple and orange models on the floor if you remember...

I won't be importing a 3DS unless it's region free, which it most likely won't be. :s
Purple 3DS or bust.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

Didn't you just eat something minutes ago?!?!

ILikeFeet

Banned

I'll prolly get me a footlong sub. good thing the dorm's sub and pizza shop is open till midnight :D

Ezduo

Banned
kadotsu said:
So I have found a link to a time machine, that will make the time go by faster for those who have a hard time waiting.

>>Click<<
Oh Jesus, not TV Tropes, I'll miss the damn conference because of you.

Wonder what this is, eh, I'll read it later
*open new tab*
Same with this one
*open new tab*

10 minutes later and I'm just finishing the first article with 100 new tabs staring me right in the face.

Anth0ny

If North America gets 3DS in 2011, I'll probably just pull the trigger on the Japanese 3DS, simply because:

1. I'm impatient
2. There will be awesome Japan only games, and since it will be region locked, it's worth it.

Michan

DR2K said:
DS is not slowing in Japan. Wii is stagnant in all regions. If your logic made sense the original DS would have never released had they just waited for the GBA to stop selling.
Nintendo just released the fast-selling game in Japanese history and DS sales were measly in comparison to what we'd usually expect with the launch of a game of that scale. DS sales are by no means as exceptional as they were a couple of years ago. Plus, DS and PSP are very close in sales in a common week in Japan. In the US, on the other hand, DS continues to celebrate fantastic month after fantastic month no matter what happens, with little to no competition from the PSP.

The Wii is indeed slowing in all regions, but at least it is continuing to sell remarkably outside of Japan. A mid-20k Wii week, being outsold by PS3 and PSP, is usual for Japan. In America, Wii has been number one (outside of DS) almost every single month since its release.

As for GBA: the DS was initially released as a stop-gap. Had the PSP gone up against the GBA when sales were already showing signs of age, Nintendo would have lost massive amounts of market share. The fact that the DS launch was a mess indicates that the sole reason for its rushed launch was reactionary.

This holiday, the only competition DS will have in terms of portable consoles will be the PSP. That's fine in the US and Europe, but in Japan, with terrible Wii sales, it will be far more challenging for the company to make an impact. Which is why it would not be unreasonable for the DS to launch exclusively in Japan this calendar year.

blizzardjesus said:
Prolly not. You can blame the ability to have rated downloadable games. So due to the esrb we get boned out of having an all region system. Since classification between us, jp, and eu all have different standards.
It's not the rating system, it's licensing and publishing. For example, certain elements of a game could be licensed for only one country (very common for music). And publishes want to charge more for something in one country than another, with region-free stuff people will just import to get around the higher costs (Japan is actually one of the countries affected by that - the games themselves tend to cost a lot more in Japan than the US). Or, often a game will have one publisher in one country, a different publisher in another country, and the two publishers won't like customers giving the other one their money.

Vic said:
Didn't you just eat something minutes ago?!?!
Yeah, but that was like four chicken wings and a small salad. I didn't have the forethought this morning to pack myself a protein bar and I don't want to be chowing down on the office kitchen's biscuits - the tin only gets refilled like once a week and it'll mean other people will miss out.

Koodo

Banned
OMG GUYS I JUST HAD A PREMONITION.

Satoru Iwata will walk up on stage and announce that the 3DS will actually be a 4DS.

Anth0ny said:
If North America gets 3DS in 2011, I'll probably just pull the trigger on the Japanese 3DS, simply because:

1. I'm impatient
2. There will be awesome Japan only games, and since it will be region locked, it's worth it.

Wait, what on num. 2?

When did they announce region locking?! That's bullshit. The GBA and DS didn't have region locking. Hype just went down for this. Probably did it for piracy reasons but still... no importing Jump! Superstars sucks. But no Doki Doki Majo Shinpan? Well, that just fucking hurts.

One would hope the damn thing was region free so I can import Japan-only games, but we all know it has a .1% chance of happening at this point...

How does region locking cut down on piracy again? I mean I don't know where that statement even came from.

Koodo said:

Satoru Iwata will walk up on stage and announce that the 3DS will actually be a 4DS.

what is the 4th dimension? I know spongebob 4D at universal studio had smellovision and crawly things under your seats :/

Or maybe that was Shrek 4D...

MisterHero

Koodo said:

If Nintendo ever possessed a portable gaming device capable of time-travel they'd keep it for themselves to give secrets from the future to themselves

"Let Sony get ahead for 10 or so years, and then crush them when they're on the crapper!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom