• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

cashman

Banned
C-lYXiFUAAAbLlN.jpg

I'm thinking more as the Scottie Pippen to D'onta Foreman's MJ

WedgeX

Banned
Continuing from earlier in the year

The Lions 2017 depth chart prediction challenge! Post-draft.

Free Agent Rookie Cut or not brought back Injured

QB: Stafford, Orlovsky, Rudock, Bye Felicia
WR: Tate, Jones, ??Boldin??, Golloday, Roberts, Jones
RB: Abdullah, Riddick, Zenner, Bell
TE: Pettigrew, Ebron, Roberts, Wick, Charles, Fells
RT: Reiff, Wagner
RG: Warford, Lang
C: Swanson
LG: Glasgow, Tomilson
LT: Decker, Lucas

I really thought the Lions would draft an RB due to the injuries to Abdullah and Riddick. But that didn't happen. Instead the Lions brought in a developmental QB to fight Rudock for the right to create QB controversy in Detroit. The Lions drafted a potential #3 WR and a #2 TE. I'm not so excited. The Lions offensive line will look quite different this year and perhaps hinges on how Lang and Swanson come back from their injuries.

DE: Ansah, Taylor, Hyder, Copeland, O'Connor
DT: Ngata, Walker, Thorton, Charles, Spence, Ledbetter,
MLB: Whitehead
OLB: Levy, Van Noy, Davis, Armbrister, Worrilow, Reeves-Maybin
CB: Slay, Tabor, Lawson, Diggs, Hayden, Agnew
FS: Wilson, Killebrew
SS: Quin

The Lions picked up Davis, instantly their new starter, to replace my personal favorite NFL player Levy. Quinn traded Van Noy to the Pats and immediately he improved. They also added Reeves-Maybin and Worrilow for depth but one will end up starting. Despite some stability at the two corner positions last year, the Lions were hurting when their nickleback went down and have added several CBs to fill that gap. Tabor might end up starting alongside Slay, but the first time he is outrun by a wide receiver will result in pitchforks and torches being taken up in Detroit. The safeties are unchanged, although Killebrew may play a larger role this year. The defensive line, one of the underwhelming pieces from last year, went mostly unaddressed except for some depth pieces.

K: Prater
P: Martin
LS: Muhlbach
KR/PR: Roberts, Martin

Prater, Martin and Muhlbach were great last year. And as has been the case for the last decade, the Lions have no stable kick returner.

RBH

k6l3doyfwr3lfalq18fq.jpg

Less than a year after it opened, the Vikings’ new stadium has leaky walls and loose panels with no clear plan for scheduling or funding repairs, according to reporting by the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

The zinc panels were described by the executive director of the Minnesota Sports Facility Authority as a major health and safety problem “at the top of my priority list.” A section of paneling flew away in a storm a few months ago, and the building also faces a set of problems stemming from leaks—including an area of the concourse where water has seeped in and part of a parapet where a moisture barrier has already been replaced for “several million dollars.”

“Whether they’re related or different is still a question in my mind,” Rick Evans, the sports facility authority director, told the paper. “When we have an issue with one portion of the building, we’re looking at the entire facade.”

There is not yet an estimated cost for repairs. It is unclear who will pay for them, though the general contractor has said it will “shoulder its responsibility.”

The Vikings paid $600 million of the $1.1 billion in stadium costs, and taxpayers were made to pick up the rest.
http://deadspin.com/vikings-new-stadium-struggling-with-leaky-walls-loose-1794785500

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/01/...aft-room-bears-trade-reuben-foster-peter-king

San Francisco, picking second, had three men clearly atop its board: Garrett one, Stanford defensive lineman Solomon Thomas two and, in a surprise, Alabama middle linebacker Reuben Foster three … Chicago, picking third, badly wanted someone. The Bears and Niners had an understanding that if Chicago’s man was still on the board after Cleveland picked (Chicago GM Ryan Pace wouldn’t tell Lynch who Player X was; the Niners figured it was Thomas), the Bears would give at least two third-round picks to move from three to two.

“See if we can get one last thing with Chicago,” Lynch said to Marathe.

Marathe called the Bears. “To try to solidify this now,” Marathe said to Pace, “we’re gonna need a little bit more to finish. It wouldn’t have to be much. Like, your four. So let’s say your third, 67 overall, this year, your three next year, and your four this year, 111 overall … I’m not gonna string you along … No … I will do it quickly. Let me get with John and Kyle and I’ll call you right back.”

The Bears agreed. They’d give two third-round picks and a fourth-rounder to move up one spot.

“Man, who do they want?” Lynch said. “Gotta be Solomon, right?”

“Call me crazy,” Marathe said. “But I think it’s Trubisky.”

“Then why’d they go get [free-agent quarterback Mike] Glennon?” Lynch said.

“Hey,” Marathe said, “can you tell me who you’re taking? I’m so curious.”

No dice.

Off the phone, Marathe said to Lynch and Shanahan: “He [Pace] said, ‘I think you guys are going to be comfortable with what we do.’ So I don’t know what that is.”

This is all still surreal.

RBH

More reaction to the Bears trade:

”We don't know what the hell they were doing," said an executive from one team that is routinely in the postseason. ”It's all anyone is talking about. It's really bad between Pace and Fox. Fox is fuming about being left in the dark on the trade (for Trubisky). I don't know anyone who likes their draft. From the first pick on, we can't figure out what they were doing. Go back and look at how many small-school kids they took. People around the league are shocked. It's really bad between Pace and Fox."

An executive from another team noted: ”Either the Bears know something no one else in the league knows, or that draft just got a lot of people fired only they don't know it yet."
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...aying-about-the-bears-draft-and-its-not-good/

RBH

750x422

Mike Glennon was, of all places, at Soldier Field on Thursday night when the Bears changed the course of franchise history and sent shockwaves through the NFL draft. The team had asked its starting quarterback to attend the Miller Lite Bears draft party on the club level.

So much for being a guest of honor, huh?

It's a good thing there wasn't a camera on Glennon when Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Trubisky's name. If anyone ever needed Miller Time, the veteran quarterback did in that moment.

He found out as the rest of the world did. The Bears don't believe in him as much as he thought, as much as they conveyed to him during his blissful first seven weeks on the job. Glennon felt as though he had been cheated on, according to people in the know. When admiration, affection and support abruptly become rejection, it hurts. And the pain cuts deep.

Of course, most people don't get $18.5 million guaranteed for their heartache. Glennon, 27, is only slightly more proven at the NFL level than Trubisky. General manager Ryan Pace owes it to the Bears and the fans to examine every option to improve the most important position on the team. And in Trubisky, Pace believes he has found Chicago's version of Drew Brees.

In fact, Glennon would be the first to acknowledge he hasn't done anything on the field to stake an unchallenged claim to the Bears' starting job. But that's not the point.

The issue is about relationships. The trust between Glennon and the Bears' decision-makers has been damaged. The Bears made him feel that he was their guy. As it turns out, he's not even close. If Pace hopes to convince Glennon that nothing has changed for him and his opportunity, that would be an impossible sell.

This wouldn't be as big a deal if Glennon were demoted to backup status. He could channel his pain into holding a clipboard, and the distrust wouldn't affect the Bears on the field this fall. But Glennon is still the starting quarterback, as Pace said Thursday after the pick.

Pace called Glennon that night. Imagine how well that went over. Pace telling Glennon he's still the starting quarterback while in reality handing Glennon a ticket to get back on the bus he just spent two years riding behind Jameis Winston with the Buccaneers. It's only a matter of time before Glennon must retake his seat.

"I'm excited about Mike's future here," Pace told reporters Thursday.

That makes one of them.

The team's plan, as far as Glennon knew, was to do everything to get the best out of him. To help the strong-armed passer reach the potential Pace saw when describing him as an ascending player. Drafting a defensive player or receiver at No. 3 would have helped. Giving him 100 percent of the first-team practice reps was a no-brainer.

Now Trubisky figures to cut into Glennon's practice time because the organization has to develop him. Then factor in the opportunity costs in the draft of trading up for Trubisky, and the Bears won't end up with the best version of Glennon they otherwise would have.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-trust-campbell-spt-0501-20170430-column.html

BumRush

I usually trust Evan Silva from Rotoworld's opinion, but he gave the Pats an A+ draft grade and the Jets a D. That....can't be right.

Duxxy3

I usually trust Evan Silva from Rotoworld's opinion, but he gave the Pats an A+ draft grade and the Jets a D. That....can't be right.

Patriots did well on all 4 of their picks. You also have to account that the other picks were spent on known commodities.

There go the Patriots. Cheating at draft scoring now. Fucking scum.

For real, I think it's about expectations. None of the Patriots picks will start. The offensive linemen might not see any regular season action. They all have at least a year before anything is expected of them. A good chunk of the Jets picks will be starters. And they're graded on their ability to start this year.

BumRush

Grading a draft class 48 hours after it happened...of course it isn't right.

I don't disagree with this. They're graded on perception though. And even in that case, giving the Pats an A+ and the Jets a D just seems flat out wrong. I'm a huge Jets pessimist and even I think they had a good draft.

BumRush

The Jets absolutely drafted like shit.

They didn't at all.

Safety was one of their weakest positions in 2016 and they addressed that immediately. They drafted 3 WR/TE that can (and will) play in 2017 and they didn't reach for a QB or a OT in a draft that was pretty shallow at OT.

They didn't collapse under the pressure to win in 2017 (and they won't win in 2017), but they didn't mortgage their future and have a much clearer path to being competitive again.

Hindl

http://www.nfl.com/videos/one-shot/0ap3000000796108/Deshaun-Watson-One-Shot-Episode-1

Watson is everything you could want in a QB. Poise, leadership, winning on every level up up till now but I just cant shake this feeling he isn't going to be a very good pro. Of course I hope I am completely wrong.

Well the good news is he has most of the uncoachable traits. Good size (though a little thin), athletic and can be a dual threat, and he can make big throws. Plus the dude just knows how to win. It's just accuracy and decision making. Those things can be coached up to some extent

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The Jets drafted back to back dbs, then back to back to back receivers, then back to back dbs. Were those the only two areas that roster needs help at? It's a shit draft. Sorry.

BumRush

The Jets drafted back to back dbs, then back to back to back receivers, then back to back dbs. Were those the only two areas that roster needs help at? It's a shit draft. Sorry.

They needed help at S, CB, QB, OT, TE, WR

They drafted S, CB, TE, WR and - like I mentioned - didn't settle on a late round QB (since they already have 2) or grab an OT just to grab one.

kaiju

Some fascinating insight inside the 49ers draft room by Peter King

Beginner's luck is a thing.

Excerpt:

Foster still there. Miami, 22, standing pat. Giants, 23, keeping. Raiders, 24, staying.
Seattle GM John Schneider (26) called.
Marathe: ”John, we got a nice juicy fourth pick in the fourth round, 111 overall, for you to move ... Yeah, I know, but we like 67 [the third-round pick] too."
Schneider would think about it.
”He's got to pee," Marathe said. ”He'll call back."
Fifteen minutes passed. Marathe called Schneider back. ”Still in?"
Lynch: ”Ask him how the pee was."
Shanahan: ”Long one."
No deal. A few more calls. Some confusion with Schneider about the trade chart. Schneider traded down from 26 to 29, and then from 29 to 31.
Roger Goodell on the TV: ”With the 30th pick in the 2017 NFL draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select ... T.J. Watt, linebacker, Wisconsin."
Foster is still there.
8:23 PT. Marathe called Schneider. ”DUDE!" Marathe said, then looked pained. ”HE PUT ME ON HOLD!" ... Schneider came back on the line. Marathe said, ”You're on the clock, you know ... CALL ME BACK."
The room could feel it. A gift from the gods. Whether they're worried about his shoulder or his smoking or his lifestyle, Reuben Foster, the third player on the board, the player Shanahan called ”my favorite player in this draft," sits there.
8:24 PT. No call back. ”I don't think it's happening," Marathe announced.
8:25 PT. Lynch called Schneider, who said he's thinking about it.
No reason not to do it, according to the draft trade chart most teams use. Each pick in the draft is assigned a value. You total the picks on either side of the trade, and if they're close to equal, the deal is usually agreed on both sides to be fair. This had to work. The 31st pick has a value of 600 points. San Francisco's two picks—34 and 111—totaled 632.
A minute or so later, with 80 seconds left in the 10-minute period to take a first-round pick, Schneider told Marathe, ”Okay, we'll do it. We got a deal."
Marathe pumped his fist gently. ”He's in!" Marathe said to the room. But it wasn't over. Now each team had to verbally tell the league the terms of the trade, and the league then had to put San Francisco on the clock before the Niners could turn in this card:
REUBEN FOSTER
LB
ALABAMA
The room was buzzing, and excited. Getting louder. ”GOT HIM!" someone yelled.
”Not yet!" Marathe said pointedly. ”Don't celebrate yet. Let's wait 'til we get confirmation from the NFL!"
Lynch picked up the phone, and one of all-time weirdest conversations in draft history happened next.
”REUBEN!" Lynch said into the phone. ”John Lynch with the 49ers! Ready to be a 49er?"
8:28 PT. I looked up. Nineteen seconds left on the clock in this period. If the clock went to :00, the next team would be able to pick a player. The next team was New Orleans. New Orleans loved Foster. New Orleans was the team that worried the Niners most. ”We got it!" Marathe said. ”Turn in the card!"
”HOW 'BOUT THAT S---!" someone screamed. Fans hugged in the back of the room. Eighty-three bro hugs in the front of the room. Shrieks.

Epic shit right here.

MechDX

Jason La Canfora‏Verified account
@JasonLaCanfora

Final straw for Whaley I'm told was 1st round pick. Owner stumped hard for Mahomes. Loved him. Bills trade down w/KC; Chiefs take QB there

So he told the owner to fuck off?

MechDX

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-The-Proper-Gentlemen-of-Sp-26996345/episode/pgs-4-28-17-28126630/

54:00 minute mark. Lance Zierlein lets loose the story of Brocks time in Houston. Basically summed up from this BRB poster:

Zierlein paraphrased- Some of it's on Bob McNair, the owner. Some of it's gonna be on OB. Some of it's gonna be on Rick...............But a lot of it's gonna be on Brock Osweiler too. And I'm tellin' you, Bill O'Brien would've fought and maybe killed Brock Osweiler if he had been in the building. Brock supposedly was a big diva and they saw it in the preseason. He said all the things he needed to but supposedly in camp there were some things that happened where the Texans were like, "Oh my God, what have we gotten ourselves into?" And then Brock was like, "Get out of the way. I'm not gonna let you yell at me. I don't have to listen to this." And Bill O'Brien just had to check him. And just grabbed him and snatched him and slammed him up against the wall. And then it was like "Help! Help!". Brock was screaming for help. Oh God, the story on that one.....When I heard the story of everything that went on when that went down. All I can tell you is I realized that's why the Texans did everything they could to get rid of Brock Osweiler. I think they would've cut him. I think if they hadn't been able to flip flop their second with a fourth rounder that they probably would have ended up cutting him. But they would have had to eat that money. So they didn't have to eat that money but they did have to give up a second round pick. But I don't think Brock Osweiler would have even suited up for the Texans. I really don't.

I heard some rumblings about this but holy shit. lol

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-The-Proper-Gentlemen-of-Sp-26996345/episode/pgs-4-28-17-28126630/

54:00 minute mark. Lance Zierlein lets loose the story of Brocks time in Houston. Basically summed up from this BRB poster:

I heard some rumblings about this but holy shit. lol

Then they should have cut him. They didnt use any of the extra cap room. They basically traded a 2nd round pick to save the owner money. In an offseason full of insane moves, like the Bears trading up for no reason at all, the Texans giving the Browns a 2nd for nothing might still be the worst.

Top Bottom