• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

For those of you who bought Mario Kart on the Switch, how's it been so far?

It's pretty great. The smart steer feature actually lets me play the game with my wife and have it be entertaining for her. It was a bit annoying figuring out how to turn the feature off, but I realized you can do it from the kart selection menu after a while.

Duxxy3

If there was a last straw for Whaley, it should have been Gillislee.

I agree. There was a 900k difference between his original round designation and a second round designation. There is no chance the Patriots were giving up a second rounder for Gilleslee. But a fifth rounder (especially with what RB's were available in the fifth) absolutely.

You would figure he would have learned his lesson last year with Hogan, but nope.

MechDX

Then they should have cut him. They didnt use any of the extra cap room. They basically traded a 2nd round pick to save the owner money. In an offseason full of insane moves, like the Bears trading up for no reason at all, the Texans giving the Browns a 2nd for nothing might still be the worst.

Who says they are not using the cap room? Hopkins is due a contract and their standard M.O. is to give new contracts out right before TC. Also may 5th is coming up and then free agents become "street free agents" and dont count towards the compensatory pick calculations.

And before you claim how dumb it is to even be considering comp picks,
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet Apr 29
More
So far, 37 picks have been traded – setting new all-time NFL draft record. The previous record for picks traded was 34. Thanks, comp picks

record amount of trades this draft were due to all the extra comp picks that can now be traded. If you combine what they gave up to get rid of Brock + what they gave up to Watson it was basically the value to move from pick 25 to 12 in the draft. This whole scenario was plotted out when the Browns and Texans did the original trade in March. Smith alluded to that fact in his post draft press conference

EDIT: ESPN just fired Adam Caplan. Wow.

Wait, I'm a heel?

I wish. The dude kept trying to leap in front of cars. Once got back to his house, he gave us his phone and showed a four page email with bullet points to why his wife was leaving him with unborn baby to Canada.
1) a comedic heel, not a serious one.
2) wow, care to share these bullet points because that's amazing

MechDX

Should have known Lacanfora was completely wrong with that Bills/Mahomes news:

Vic Carucci‏Verified account
@viccarucci
There was no "last straw" in the #Bills' draft room w Whaley. His fate was sealed well before the draft.

Vic Carucci‏Verified account @viccarucci 22m22 minutes ago
More
Hearing there's no truth to @JasonLaCanfora report that "final straw" for Whaley was #Bills trade down after T Pegula "stumped" for Mahomes.

Benjamin Allbright‏Verified account
@AllbrightNFL

Benjamin Allbright Retweeted LA Broadus
Real story is McDermott ran the draft, Whaley & the staff already knew they were being let go. Pegula liked Mahomes, but didn't interfere

MechDX

Floyd?
C-r8Tp7UIAALi7E.jpg:large

Duxxy3

FAKE NEWS! My Brock would never do that, smear campaign. BoB sad or sick guy.

I'm shocked that the Browns haven't released him yet. I think they should roll the dice with Kessler and Kizer and see what they've got. Brock is just going to be a little bitch, again.

I'm gonna go with another bold statement - The browns won't be picking in the top 8 next year.

Only 11? They lost their entire two deep on defense!

Floy's Wolverines doing it! And he got his boy Peppers! Proud of the boy
Stop

I'm shocked that the Browns haven't released him yet. I think they should roll the dice with Kessler and Kizer and see what they've got. Brock is just going to be a little bitch, again.

I'm gonna go with another bold statement - The browns won't be picking in the top 8 next year.
But will the Texans be?

MechDX

Vinnie Ronca‏
@PFF_Vinnie

Key stats/ranks on #Texans 4th round pick Carlos Watkins:

Total Pressures: 39(8th)
PRP: 8.0(15th)
Def. Stops: 37(5th)
Batted Passes: 5(2nd)
Ranks among this year's class of interior defenders

Vinnie Ronca‏ @PFF_Vinnie 5m5 minutes ago

One of the most impressive things about Watkins was his performance in CFB playoff games vs OSU & Bama:

3 Sacks
4 Hurries
8 Defensive Stops

And they added ILB Cunngham in the 2nd round. Texans defense has potential to be sooo good.

Striker

Except VY was a mess off the field and had the emotional stability of a marshmallow while in the NFL. Watson is the opposite in that regard

But on the other end, also
All I heard about both Young and Watson was both guys were winners. They 'knew how to win' against a tough conference. But Mech is right about Vince being a bit unstable, although he also had dipshit Jeff Fisher leading the team, so.

Steve McNair saved him from being shit.

Sanjuro

1) a comedic heel, not a serious one.
2) wow, care to share these bullet points because that's amazing

It was past 2:30 in the morning and my brain shut off halfway through the email. I just went "umm..wow" and gave him his phone back, which he proceeded to throw on the pavement.

effzee

Hindl

All I heard about both Young and Watson was both guys were winners. They 'knew how to win' against a tough conference. But Mech is right about Vince being a bit unstable, although he also had dipshit Jeff Fisher leading the team, so.

Steve McNair saved him from being shit.

Yeah, putting aside the off the field stuff, VY just couldn't really read coverages and was inaccurate, whereas Watson is just inconsistent. Sometimes he's great at it, sometimes not. BOB could probably coach him up and if he's given a season to ride the bench he could be great

Only 11? They lost their entire two deep on defense!

Stop

But will the Texans be?

You're gonna be so conflicted when Peppers gets a game-sealing INT

Pace was on Mike and Mike this morning and made it out that there is no issue between him and Fox and all of this is nonsense.

Wasn't Pace some wonderboy GM every team was on the look out for? I have yet to see or understand any of his moves but who knows if Mitch or Glennon work out he can be considered a top notch GM.

If Mitch works out people will say great job getting him but they will say he shouldnt have signed Glennon then or traded up, if Glennon works out people will say good job signing him but that he shouldnt have traded up for Mitch then. He has basically put himself in a no win situation with these terrible moves.

Hindl

If Mitch works out people will say great job getting him but they will say he shouldnt have signed Glennon then or traded up, if Glennon works out people will say good job signing him but that he should have traded up for Mitch then. He has basically put himself in a no win situation with these terrible moves.

Well Glennon is essentially on a 1 year deal since the guaranteed $ drops to like 4.5M next year. So they could just have Glennon be the guy for a year while Trubisky sits and learns. But the problem is if John Fox can coach up Trubisky, which is doubtful as of now

No, I think the Texans make another playoff run. With Savage. I like Watson, but I have no idea how he'll be in a pro style offense.
This is not what I want to see.. I need the Texans to just throw up all over themselves.

Floy's Peppers :)
Bread pls

It was past 2:30 in the morning and my brain shut off halfway through the email. I just went "umm..wow" and gave him his phone back, which he proceeded to throw on the pavement.
Well that was an adventure..

That's a Floy Boy if I've ever seen one!

He even has a running back number. He knows what's up.

Just quoting because Floyd deserves this
All of you can rot

Dutch and I won't forgive you for this Floy boy.
Remember, if and when Peppers has a fuck-up.. I'm gonna say I told you so.

what are we angry at flo for today
Haters gonna hate

You're gonna be so conflicted when Peppers gets a game-sealing INT
That would require him to actually have good hands and since that's the equivalent of Hailey's Comet statistically of Peppers picking off a pass.. I'm pretty sure I won't have to worry about it.

Its Monday
My day off.. :(

We're not, we're celebrating the fact that the Browns got his favorite college player!
Please stop this

effzee

If Mitch works out people will say great job getting him but they will say he shouldnt have signed Glennon then or traded up, if Glennon works out people will say good job signing him but that he shouldnt have traded up for Mitch then. He has basically put himself in a no win situation with these terrible moves.

I think they want to find magic like Seahawks did with Wilson. They had signed Packers Legend Flynn and still drafted Wilson.

I guess no matter how you get your franchise QB, it doesn't matter. No one will care about how much they gave up if he is the QB for 10-15 years and makes them a contender.

cdyhybrid

I think they want to find magic like Seahawks did with Wilson. They had signed NFL Legend Flynn and still drafted Wilson.

I guess no matter how you get your franchise QB, it doesn't matter. No one will care about how much they gave up if he is the QB for 10-15 years and makes them a contender.
Fixed

Remember, if and when Peppers has a fuck-up.. I'm gonna say I told you so.
Why would he fuck up?....
all around good guy!

If I'm being honest, I feel like your just being a wired OSU fan. Watch the Brett Kollmann film break down https://youtu.be/pW4HK4HXEi0

He's Greg Williams guy, and the rest of the coaching staff seemed pretty excited to draft him. https://youtu.be/vGDPCiQUuoU

Also check out some of the intro press conference and his uninterrupted videos on YouTube.

Can't believe you won't BeCleve on a day the Cavs play. Smh. I claim Peppers as one of my top boys, T-mobile top 5 boy.

Also accept Kizer into your life, Brian Kelly is the worst....but at the same time put some RESPKT on Kessler

Why would he fuck up?....
all around good guy!

If I'm being honest, I feel like your just being a wired OSU fan. Watch the Brett Kollmann film break down https://youtu.be/pW4HK4HXEi0

He's Greg Williams guy, and the rest of the coaching staff seemed pretty excited to draft him. https://youtu.be/vGDPCiQUuoU

Also check out some of the intro press conference and his uninterrupted videos on YouTube.

Can't believe you won't BeCleve on a day the Cavs play. Smh. I claim Peppers as one of my top boys, T-mobile top 5 boy.

Also except Kizer into your life, Brian Kelly is the worst....but at the same time put some RESPKT on Kessler
I will do none of what you say until he proves me wrong.

And to your Kizer point, I'm less negative on that than the Peppers pick. I accepted that it is solid value and I believe in Hue in making him into a QB capable of not shitting his pants (see Kessler).

Gobias

Banned
I will do none of what you say until he proves me wrong.

And to your Kizer point, I'm less negative on that than the Peppers pick. I accepted that it is solid value and I believe in Hue in making him into a QB capable of not shitting his pants (see Kessler).

Now you criticizing the boy Kessler? Rookie of the week runner up Cody Kessler? smh

Top Bottom