• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Clemmensen played great when he started in NJ for game 4. Theo hasn't really looked good in that arena yet anyways (or the D doesn't look good when he's on the ice at the least). No worries if he's healthy for round 2.
True bit Theo is coming off a shutout I hoped he would be in net. Maybe Dineen could start Markstrom just to throw a wrench at NJ.

Garrison and now Theo injured before Jersey games? I'll blame NJ fans, probably threw a rat under him.

Cagey

Banned
True bit Theo is coming off a shutout I hoped he would be in net. Maybe Dineen could start Markstrom just to throw a wrench at NJ.

Garrison and now Theo injured before Jersey games? I'll blame NJ fans, probably threw a rat under him.

We throw rats into the Hudson River and Meadowlands' swamps, not under other players.

EDIT: Also, FLA/NJD the only game on tonight. HERE COMES HUGE RATINGS!

I don't remember being angry at Clemmensen this series at all really. What I remember from Game 4 was being frustrated on offense because Brodeur was making every damn save while we give up 2 breakaways featuring beautiful passes and 2 goals on the PP.

Yeah, Theo is coming off a shutout in FL but then again Theo had a great game 2 in FL (minus the first 2 minutes in the 3rd) and look how he started game 3 in NJ.

I just get really pissed at Clemmensen for being solely responsible for a goal, and it hasn't happened in the playoffs. He seems to be playing better than his usual self.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We throw rats into the Hudson River and Meadowlands' swamps, not under other players.

EDIT: Also, FLA/NJD the only game on tonight. HERE COMES HUGE RATINGS!

Wasn't Game 2 really high in the ratings?

Revenant

So Pekka Rinne's .944 save percentage in playoffs is the WORST of the four remaining West goalies.

That's crazy.

bear-trap1.jpg

Entropia

No One Remembers
Kings are gonna come out and dominate the pansy ass Blues. Kopitar, Brown and Richards are gonna make Elliot their bitch. loltrap

Quick

Banned
I'm actually interested in seeing Phoenix go deep into the playoffs, partly for humour, partly for the potential news it generates.

Too many people complaining about the teams left in the playoffs. Learn how to play defense instead of paying for crazy offenses. They can be shut down by one player on a good night.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Too many people complaining about the teams left in the playoffs. Learn how to play defense instead of paying for crazy offenses. They can be shut down by one player on a good night.

Yeah, that'll work out GREAT for the league.

Those 1-0 games where the puck stays in the neutral zone for the majority of the night will be fantastic for ratings.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that'll work out GREAT for the league.

Those 1-0 games where the puck stays in the neutral zone for the majority of the night will be fantastic for ratings.

A poster or two in this thread said we should just give up on trying to get better ratings because hockey is a regional sport.

Barrage

The funniest thing is people shitting on Phoenix's potential ratings, then asking when they're moving to QC. Yeah, because Quebec City-Nashville would be a phenomenon in the states. Yeah, because Quebec-Florida would take the NHL to the glory days.

fallout

Just make the goalie pads a lot smaller!
Pfft. That won't generate enough goals! They have to get rid of the goalies entirely and have the teams constantly alternate between 5-on-4s every 2 minutes. 5-on-3 if someone takes a penalty.

Result? 400 goals a night and ratings skyrocket.

Draconian

Trying to decide whether I wanna buy NHL 12 to help get me through the offseason, but it's still $60 on Amazon. I'm better off waiting for 13 at this point. *sigh*

Cagey

Banned
All jokes aside, scoring in the NHL increased a good margin after the lockout (5.14 average TG/G in 2003-4 to 6.08 in 2005-6, per Hockey Reference), and it has steadily declined every year post-lockout until this year (lowest since the lockout).

Plinko

The funniest thing is people shitting on Phoenix's potential ratings, then asking when they're moving to QC. Yeah, because Quebec City-Nashville would be a phenomenon in the states. Yeah, because Quebec-Florida would take the NHL to the glory days.

At least ONE country would be watching, though.

welp, I'm LTTP on this but Phoenix showed our shortcomings; here's hoping the front office fixes some issues and it would be nice to see the PP start scoring again.

I would find it kinda funny if Florida won tonight and advances.

Time to lurk for a little while; but I do love this thread during the playoffs.....

Plinko

All jokes aside, scoring in the NHL increased a good margin after the lockout (5.14 to 6.08 TG/G, per Hockey Reference), and it has steadily declined every year post-lockout until this year (lowest since the lockout).

Which is why I was stunned when the owners/GMs were thinking about bringing back the 2 line pass. It made absolutely no sense.

Also, I fully expect movement toward widening the nets to come either this offseason or next. If the goals keep decreasing they're going to have to do something about it.

All jokes aside, scoring in the NHL increased a good margin after the lockout (5.14 average TG/G in 2003-4 to 6.08 in 2005-6, per Hockey Reference), and it has steadily declined every year post-lockout until this year (lowest since the lockout).

Scoring is down because the amount of powerplays given out is down. It's been going down every year since the last lockout.

There is less powerplays because they're not calling obstruction penalties as often as they used to post lock out.

This is why the trap is making a comeback.

I agree, I don't see how people don't realize that it's the American viewing audience the NHL is trying to tap.

Canada will always watch hockey regardless.

When Winnipeg didn't have their team they were still watching hockey. QC is the same, it's not like they don't turn on the T.V.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Take away possession offsides (only offside if you pass across the blue line) and scoring will go up.

Frees up defense - as skaters can be anywhere in the o zone when the puck carrier crosses the line

Allows powerplay to be much more lethal... You need to get the puck down the ice, not just across the line

Increases speed of game, increases defensive liability (more skaters up means higher risk of a turnover).,. More end to end, and stops crowding at the blue lines

And you would not have blown plays because someone skated a bit too fast or someone pushed across the line

It won't kill the trap though, but will make things more exciting

Yes I will keep repeating it until someone implements it

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gillis: "I feel like Columbus sitting here right now, even though we had 111 points."

:lol :lol

Also interesting...

"spent more time on Cody Hodgson issues over last 3 years than all players combined. He clearly didn't want to be here"

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Hell yeah big ratings tonight baby!

I'm going to be stuck in an airport and only get to (maybe) watch part of the game :( Better kick some ass... Clemmensen news was surprising, but he's up to the task.

Red_Man

Hell yeah big ratings tonight baby!

I'm going to be stuck in an airport and only get to (maybe) watch part of the game :( Better kick some ass... Clemmensen news was surprising, but he's up to the task.
Panthers president tweeted this as a reply to some random on twitter :

"you have 70 followers. No one cares what you think."

Good to know he's a grade A asshole, even when he can barely fill his own stadium.

Marvie_3

Banned
Just make the goalie pads a lot smaller!
This is what they should do. A goalie's pads should be there to protect the player not his stats. Bigger nets is a stupid idea and should never happen.

Trying to decide whether I wanna buy NHL 12 to help get me through the offseason, but it's still $60 on Amazon. I'm better off waiting for 13 at this point. *sigh*
Just wait until NHL 13. 12 is beyond broken anymore.

Which is why I was stunned when the owners/GMs were thinking about bringing back the 2 line pass. It made absolutely no sense.

Also, I fully expect movement toward widening the nets to come either this offseason or next. If the goals keep decreasing they're going to have to do something about it.
2 line pass should only be implemented for online play in the NHL games.

Scoring is down because the amount of powerplays given out is down. It's been going down every year since the last lockout.

There is less powerplays because they're not calling obstruction penalties as often as they used to post lock out.

This is why the trap is making a comeback.
Exactly right.
I agree, I don't see how people don't realize that it's the American viewing audience the NHL is trying to tap.

Canada will always watch hockey regardless.

When Winnipeg didn't have their team they were still watching hockey. QC is the same, it's not like they don't turn on the T.V.
There are certain places that simply DON'T watch hockey on tv. Look at the tv ratings in markets like Phoenix and Miami. Combined you're at MAYBE 12,000 households tops that actually watch a hockey game on tv. Considering that a large majority of league revenue is from ticket revenue, it makes more sense to have teams in markets where the arena is full of fans paying NHL PRICES. The ticket revenue in Quebec will exceed ANY amount Phoenix will EVER bring in. Simple economics tells you that if your customer base will always be there, then you can raise prices well above what the average fan in other places would be willing to pay. Phoenix has to give away tickets and they still have half empty arenas.

Panthers president tweeted this as a reply to some random on twitter :

"you have 70 followers. No one cares what you think."

Good to know he's a grade A asshole, even when he can barely fill his own stadium.
There is a long list of d-bag stuff that guy has done. Believe me, no Panthers fan likes him at all. Yormark is scum, but he can sell ice to Eskimos. He shameless money grabs though are what kept the panthers from ever going into profit sharing. I seriously hope Santos and Tallon force him out now that things are looking up.

Red_Man

Should probably start putting this stuff in the off season thread but seeing as it's just trap teams left w/e

Luongo: "Whether (the future) involves me being here or not, I'm OK with it." Said he WOULD waive no-trade.

Marvie_3

Banned
Should probably start putting this stuff in the off season thread but seeing as it's just trap teams left w/e

Luongo: "Whether (the future) involves me being here or not, I'm OK with it." Said he WOULD waive no-trade.

He's not going to waive it to go anywhere though.

Don't you even fucking THINK about it, Bowman.

He won't. Luongo is better than Crawford or Emery but that contract is fucking awful.

Socreges

Banned
Gillis also said he has confidence in head coach Alain Vigneault moving forward.
lol solo

Gillis' job is secure, too, but maybe it shouldn't be. For the most part he's done very well with contracts, but his recent trades have been terrible. Ballard, Booth, Kassian... not one a good trade. The Booth trade was decent for this season, getting rid of Samuelsson and Sturm... but their contracts were done this year whereas Booth will be overpaid for 3 more.

Red_Man said:
That's one hurdle gone, at least.

Cactus

Banned
Marvie's just saying that he's going to be particular about which teams he's willing to go to. Which is obvious.

Oops. Misread that.

I don't think it's necessarily in his best interests to be choosy, though. There probably won't be very many teams bidding on his services, and if he has the chance to be a starter somewhere else, I expect him to jump at the opportunity.

Marvie_3

Banned
I don't think the Hawks' issue is in net. They need to address their forward and defensive depth. That's how they won the Cup with Niemi.

Bingo. Icing garbage like Brunette, Morrison, Oduya, and Kruger on your top lines isn't going to win many games in the playoffs.

You don't think so? If I were him I'd definitely want a fresh start.

I don't doubt that he wants a fresh start but I don't think he wants to end up on a team that has no chance of making the playoffs.

Cactus

Banned
I don't doubt that he wants a fresh start but I don't think he wants to end up on a team that has no chance of making the playoffs.

That's true, but being the unquestioned #1 is probably something that he covets.

Plus, only a handful of teams will be actively looking for a #1 goalie (Tampa, Toronto, Columbus and possibly NJ/FLA) so he might have to choose a lesser team without a playoff guarantee.

Red_Man

Plus, only a handful of teams will be actively looking for a #1 goalie (Tampa, Toronto, Columbus and possibly NJ/FLA) so he might have to choose a lesser team without a playoff guarantee.
This is his biggest problem, there aren't many "great" teams that are in need of a goalie, especially with such an ugly contract.

Marvie_3

Banned
That's true, but being the unquestioned #1 is probably something that he covets.

No he doesn't. That's the beauty of a no trade clause. If he doesn't want to go to those teams he doesn't have to. Canucks are then forced to trade Schneider and he's the unquestioned #1 on a playoff team.

Barrage

Don't get it twisted-with the NTC Luongo has the power here, not Vancouver.

Luongo is in a lifelong contract. He's not going to actively choose to spend it in a place like Columbus or Edmonton, even if the chance to be the #1 is there. Other GMs know this, which is why Vancouver should not expect a large return in a Luongo trade.

Top Bottom