• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now I've seen/heard it all. Flat-Earth theory, really? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markoman

Was watching a random video on YT, scrolled down to the comment section and stumbled accross "flat-earth-theory". I was kind of curious and used YT search function: 4.6m entries...

Ok, what the fuck is going on in this world? I'm kinda open to do the whole Plato-cave-analogy-thing and "forget everything you know for a second" any day, but this shit is just completely retarded.

At first I thought...ok, this has to be some Jehova batshit crazy thingy, but then I listened to some stuff by this crazy-ass dude called Eric Dubay for 15 minutes (which surely damaged my brain), who seems to be one of the leaders of this movement, talking about freemason.

Holy shit, I've heard some really stupid and crazy stories and theories in my life -most of them coming from some weedheads in my early 20s squad, lol- but this is just next-level.

Internet, what have you done!?!?!? I need a drink. I need to restore my faith in humanity somehow...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Guessing you're new to the internet? This has been around for a while and just has traction with more gullible people these days.

dyergram

I feel like it came out of nowhere I heard of it last year and it seemed like a few very old looking websites. I couldn't believe it when somebody in real life actually tried to talk about it to me. I feel morty of the famous conspiracys have some kind of logic to them but this one seems like it was started by crazy people endorsed by trolls and now being adopted by stupid people.

ysWVP5i.jpg

End of thread.

Skyzard

Banned
I mean, there's some mountains but on the whole it's pretty flat, otherwise God wouldn't have given us cars.

They wouldn't work!

-skyzard

HStallion

I feel like it came out of nowhere I heard of it last year and it seemed like a few very old looking websites. I couldn't believe it when somebody in real life actually tried to talk about it to me. I feel morty of the famous conspiracys have some kind of logic to them but this one seems like it was started by crazy people endorsed by trolls and now being adopted by stupid people.

Most conspiracy theories are based on hearsay and bull shit and run on the fact that whatever negates them is part of the conspiracy.

I always thought this was like a troll thing. Like people just messing around. No one is dumb enough to believe in this "theory" and I'm just being trolled. Like NeoGaf gold.

Markoman

Sorry, I have been using the Internet mostly for the one thing it has been designed for in the first place.

I feel like some hermit now, lol.

Gaf, pls teach me about all the wonders I've missed while I wasted my time with genital-acrobatics. :D

Mobius 1

I'm really surprised the human race has made it as far as it has.

Well, on a geological scale we haven't been around that much. On a cosmic scale, we barely showed up. One of the Fermi Paradox's possible answers is that intelligent life does happen in the Universe, but it destroys itself when it reaches a point not unlike ours. So we haven't seen or heard anyone else, and we wouldn't be around much longer to see others either.

So yeah, we could have it coming.

HStallion

Part of me wants to just start dreaming up even stupider conspiracy theories but then I realize I can't be dumber than these people are and if I was they'd probably actually believe the bull shit I was peddling even after I said it was a blatant lie to fool stupid gullible fools.

Syncytia

Well OP, you should also look into the hollow earth theory, too. It could be flat and hollow. Who knows. There is no way we could know these things.

And isn't there an edge that we can see over? Or is that being guarded by area 51 space aliens?

I think it's because it's a disc and all the continents are in the center, more or less. And no one is allowed to go to the edge, it's a big cover up or something.

People just want to feel smarter than everyone else. If everyone suddenly accepted it is flat, they'd probably start saying it's round.

iMax

I mean, it's pretty simple to verify that Earth isn't flat. When you approach the horizon, why does it not move closer to you? Hmm. HMMM.

To be fair though, the horizon isn't an artefact of the curvature of the earth; more the sheer distance. Even if the earth was flat, you wouldn't be able to see the end of it wherever you were.

The easiest way to "prove" the earth isn't flat is just to watch a time-lapse of the stars.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I still can't bring myself to accept that people actually believe this. They've got to be pretending.
It's not so much a belief in the traditional sense, like "I have evidence X and Y for phenomenon Z and therefore to the best of my knowledge I think that Q is true."

It's more like "I've been told I'm an idiot by smart people my whole life so I'm going to salve my ego and adopt an identity that is about rejecting epistemic authority. Oh hey, I can find garbage on the internet supporting literally anything I want to believe. It feels so good to be part of this secret truth club. I'm gonna spread the word!"

It's not so much a belief in the traditional sense, like "I have evidence X and Y for phenomenon Z and therefore to the best of my knowledge I think that Q is true."

It's more like "I've been told I'm an idiot by smart people my whole life so I'm going to salve my ego and adopt an identity that is about rejecting epistemic authority. Oh hey, I can find garbage on the internet supporting literally anything I want to believe. It feels so good to be part of this secret truth club. I'm gonna spread the word!"

So it should be refered to as the flat earth conspiracy theory. The flat earth conspiracy theory lobbyist probably changed the term to "flat earth theory" to make them seem less insane. I mean it all kinda sounds like Scientology and that whole nonsense.

HStallion

Or just travel to a different hemisphere and you see a group of completely different stars.

Or stop trying to sound smart and woke by parroting the dumbest ideas on the internet that apparently no one know's about except them and the internet.

JC Lately

My standing challenge to any and all Flat Earthers to prove they are right by shoving me off the edge of our flat world to my death (AKA The Sinclair Gambit) has gone answered now for ten years and counting.

Fucking cowards.

My standing challenge to any and all Flat Earthers to prove they are right by shoving me off the edge of our flat word to my death (AKA The Sinclair Gambit) has gone answered now for ten years and counting.

Fucking cowards.

If you fell off you'd just land on the back of a giant space turtle.

Markoman

Well OP, you should also look into the hollow earth theory, too. It could be flat and hollow. Who knows. There is no way we could know these things.

Thx for the advice, I will investigate further once my alcohol stock is replenished.

The crazy thing about this theory - as always- is the fact that this Dubay guy firmly believes that a group of scientist was able to pull-off a conspiracy like this. It is easier to believe in pink unicorns running around the oval office than this bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom