• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

oh em gee!! Persona 4 for PS2 next year!

mollipen

XHitoshuraX said:
this is good news I suppose...but I mean for god's sake. Persona 3 was 400 hours long and plenty fun but its time for another SMT. Devil Summoner..Digital Devil Saga..fucking hell.

It took six years between Persona 2 and Persona 3. I don't think it's unfair for Persona fans to not want to wait that long again for the next chapter.

zurra

Defuser said:
2 fucking years.....wtf were they doing....
hopefully fixing all the typos in the second half of the game... that crap drove me nuts.
yukari even had one in her line after you max her social link...
:(

birdchili

Reilly said:
Hopefully they go back to the old persona battle system/gameplay.
the party/conversation recruitment system from p2:ep was so very great (and a necessary alternative to combat on occasion) - a revisit/expansion of the idea would be fine.

it's possible i'll be through p3 before this releases - that'd be nice. i'm not sure how keen i am if this is a remix of all of the art assets in p3 though - i feel like i've wrung just about all i want to from these designs.

of course, the number of must-have-console-rpgs on my radar is pretty small right now... :(

Barakov

Gold Member
Awesome if we're getting another Persona game so soon. Would've liked to see it on PS3 but PS2 is the next best thing. Hopefully, we'll get some scans in the not so distant future.

Riptwo

Persona 3 blew me away, since it's probably the first JRPG that I've enjoyed without reservation. But since I'm really slow at actually going through it, P4 will probably be released just after I finish part 3. Double win!

fernoca

I bet is probably some mistake..either it is Persona 3 FES..or something like that, even more...just like Bioshock coming to the PS3..and things like that.. :p ..heck why whould they "reveal" a new game on Bloomberg?

Oh well..who knows... ;p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
fernoca said:
I bet is probabl ysome mistake..either it is Persona 3 FES..or something like that, even more...just like Bioshock coming to the PS3..and things like that.. :p ..heck why whould they "reveal" a new game on Bloomberg?

Oh well..who knows... ;p
FES is already out in Japan.

Alts

Eh, I think it is a bit too soon.

To whoever cited the DDS games being only a year or so apart, they were two halves of the same story. I don't thank that example really works.

fernoca

XiaNaphryz said:
FES is already out in Japan.
Yeah, but not in the US..
I don't know..is just too weird and too sudden, for a series that they were not planning to release any more sequels after Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, to now get "the yealry treatment"....or maybe the mistake is in the console..or is just uses the same engine from P3...

icecream

Public Health Threat
fernoca said:
I don't know..is just too weird and too sudden, for a series that they were not planning to release any more sequels after Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, to now get "the yealry treatment"..
It's called money. And profits.

duckroll

Alts said:
Eh, I think it is a bit too soon.

To whoever cited the DDS games being only a year or so apart, they were two halves of the same story. I don't thank that example really works.

Yeah, DDS was even worse. It was one big game split into two on purpose to gain more sales. Too bad it backfired in Japan, because they didn't tell the people buying the first one that it was actually a two-parter. They got to the end and when the sequel was announced they went "FUCK THIS SHIT!" :lol

fernoca

icecream said:
It's called money. And profits.
Probably they want to make some quick bucks..and using the same engine from P3..considering that the series while it sells kinda good, is not a big seller in Japan ..and even less in the US..

LJ11

Pureauthor said:
I feel an urge to destroy something.

Why? We're getting another Persona, why would you feel the urge to destroy something? Isn't this a good thing?

Nekobo

I'd rather see them go for broke (or live and let die?) and make it on the PS3. It's nice (and smart) that they want to keep supporting a console everyone already has, but I'd love to see how a next gen SMT would really look.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
fernoca said:
It wasn't specifically mentioned whether it's for the US or not, so we have to assume they're referring to the Japanese market since it's a Japanese article on Bloomberg's Japanese site, especially if it specifically said Persona 4.

ethelred

Holy crap! Go away for a morning and all sorts of craziness ensue. Persona 4 is great news, and given how much I loved P3, I'm really looking forward to playing the next installment. I hope Atlus is as willing to shake the formula up next time, too.

(edit: mega-laughles at the system whinging. oh, you guys...)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
By the time this finally comes out in America (if it ever does, it probably won't hit till 09 and I highly doubt the PS2 will be viable), I'll have P3 beaten, hopefully. Maybe this'll get the Wiimake treatment, hopefully.

Kyoufu

djtiesto said:
By the time this finally comes out in America (if it ever does, it probably won't hit till 09 and I highly doubt the PS2 will be viable), I'll have P3 beaten, hopefully. Maybe this'll get the Wiimake treatment, hopefully.

Well now the thread is complete. A Persona Wiimake folks!

Amir0x

Banned
Let them make a wiimake, who cares? As long as there's a superior PS2 version without any pointless inane waggling, any other version doesn't matter.

Well if Atlus is indeed in a holding pattern and continuing to support the PS2 then hopefully we will see an announcement for a North American release of Fes soon.

tokkun

shidoshi said:
It took six years between Persona 2 and Persona 3. I don't think it's unfair for Persona fans to not want to wait that long again for the next chapter.

Moreover, I think that Persona currently has the highest visibility that any of the SMT games have had for a while. Popular game + expansion + anime & manga adaptations in Japan and hitting most of the RPG of the Year nominations in the US. They might as well capitalize on the popularity while they can.

djtiesto

Kyoufu said:
Well now the thread is complete. A Persona Wiimake folks!

Yup, a Wii version for me would mean:

-Better chance of US release as the PS2 market is starting to drop off big time (especially in Japan, which makes this announcement less sensical), and by the time a P4 English translation would be ready, the PS2 will be virtually dead aside from maybe a few licensed games for preschoolers.
-Almost definitely be 16:9 and 480p.
-No more using annoying Dual Shock (always hated that controller).

Woo-Fu

Banned
LJ11 said:
Why? We're getting another Persona, why would you feel the urge to destroy something? Isn't this a good thing?

Not if you're trying to subsist on a gaming diet of pure nintendo hardware.

I just finished Persona 3 last week and found all 95 hours of it absolutely riveting. The structure of the game was unique and cool, but still, I hope P4 isn't another life sim/random dungeon crawler, they should shake things up again. Maybe they can focus on the gameplay, story, and art since the team is already so familiar with the technical stuff on the PS2 platform.

Yeah, I have a PS3 and 360 and I'm sure a next gen SMT would look and play awesome. But that would be an expensive game for a limited audience, and I REALLY don't want to see R&D1 go belly up from financial difficulties.

Steroyd

djtiesto said:

Just imagine lollerupe. :(

Why do you want a wiimake? o_O

On the topic of the wiimake, it's probably the only likely way we will see Persona 4 released in North America given the timeframe for its Japanese release. Personally I don't care which platform(s) it comes out on so long as it comes out here at all, which should be everyone's chief concern.

Oho, it's a bit early for another Persona, but I guess it's best to strike while the iron's hot, so to speak. Hmmm, oh, I wonder if this means it'll come to Wii as well... might make sense.

RPGCrazied

We still dont have a real confirmation, do we? who is Bloomberg? And RPGFan has messed up in news a few times. Would be sweet if true, I dont have any nextgen consoles cept a DS..

mollipen

Darkman M said:
And i thought i was done buying new games for the PS2.

Says the person with an SNK sprite as an avatar. There's still tons of SNK stuff coming to the US, not to mention a bunch of other great niche and late-years-release stuff.

Already!? Jeez Atlus, give a guy a break. I'm not even close to being even half way done with P3, not to mention we don't even have FES yet. :(

djtiesto

RPGCrazied said:
We still dont have a real confirmation, do we? who is Bloomberg? And RPGFan has messed up in news a few times. Would be sweet if true, I dont have any nextgen consoles cept a DS..

A financial news service founded by the now-mayor of NYC.

Steroyd: I listed my reasons a few posts above.

Mandoric

Banned
RPGCrazied said:

Bloomberg is a major financial news firm; this post in question is an article noting a major jump in their stock due to their licencing for the Japanese market the Chinese MMORPG "Perfect World" and their consumer games division returning to a profitable status after a period of losses. The 2HH20 (as of their rather odd numbering system) release news is given as an explanation of their expected continued good fortune in that segment.

djtiesto said:
Yup, a Wii version for me would mean:

-Better chance of US release as the PS2 market is starting to drop off big time (especially in Japan, which makes this announcement less sensical), and by the time a P4 English translation would be ready, the PS2 will be virtually dead aside from maybe a few licensed games for preschoolers.
-Almost definitely be 16:9 and 480p.
-No more using annoying Dual Shock (always hated that controller).

Don't forget putting the Wii-Mote to your head and pressing the B button to summon personas...

Will we see it state side though? I'm assuming not. By the time they localize it it'll be 2009 and I don't see it getting published at that point? Who knows.

Top Bottom