• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

oh em gee!! Persona 4 for PS2 next year!

mollipen

NinajHeartless said:
Don't forget putting the Wii-Mote to your head and pressing the B button to summon personas...

Okay, I was absolutely, positively against a Wii version of Persona 3/4... up until this post.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wait, was "Who is Bloomberg?" a serious question?

Durante

I'm actually happy if it's really on PS2. By the time an English version comes out (if ever) it should be possible to play it perfectly in PCSX2 at 1920*1080 with AA :D

el Diablo

Banned
I won't bitch and moan that it's going to be on the PS2 as long as Atlus makes the game widescreen. PS2 games that are 4:3 and have to be stretched to fill the screen on a HDTV = ASS (personally i play them non-stretched and windowed). I understand it's last gen stuff but at least put a little extra effort in (ie: DQ8, FFXII, GoW, etc.).

djtiesto said:
Yup, a Wii version for me would mean:
-Almost definitely be 16:9 and 480p.

Right because Atlus would remake an entire game changing it from 4:3 to widescreen for a port of a game they're already putting on the PS2 to save money on. Changing input commands so you have to wave stuff around instead of button pushing is one thing. Having a game engine render the added stuff from changing a game from 4:3 to widescreen is another. If the PS2 isn't getting widescreen to start i wouldn't count on the wii getting it.

Baryn

Banned
If this comes out late enough, I have a new PC, and PCSX2 is far enough along, this is probably the first new PS2 game I will play entirely on an emulator.

For a tech geek, that's exciting!! Internal upscaling, 32" 1080p monitor, and 360 controller for Windows FTFW!

edit: I see that I'm not the only one with this idea... :p

Linkzg said:
Persona 4 on PS2 means no Persona 4 on cellphones, and thus the world is right again...for now
It's so sad when we have to hold our breath until our favorite franchises are confirmed not to be moving to cellphone :(

Baryn said:
If this comes out late enough, I have a new PC, and PCSX2 is far enough along, this is probably the first new PS2 game I will play entirely on an emulator.

For a tech geek, that's exciting!! Internal upscaling, 32" 1080p monitor, and 360 controller for Windows FTFW!

edit: I see that I'm not the only one with this idea... :p

Count me in on the PCSX2 grafixwagon.

Dascu

el Diablo said:
Right because Atlus would remake an entire game changing it from 4:3 to widescreen for a port of a game they're already putting on the PS2 to save money on. Changing input commands so you have to wave stuff around instead of button pushing is one thing. Having a game engine render the added stuff from changing a game from 4:3 to widescreen is another. If the PS2 isn't getting widescreen to start i wouldn't count on the wii getting it.

Baroque Wii is getting widescreen IIRC.

shidoshi said:
Okay, I was absolutely, positively against a Wii version of Persona 3/4... up until this post.

O...m...f...g, imagine if they put an evoker model of the zapper in with the limited edition - best game peripheral ever!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
NinajHeartless said:
Don't forget putting the Wii-Mote to your head and pressing the B button to summon personas...

You know, that is freaking awesome.

I am buying Persona 4, but having a "wii edition" of 3 and 4 that has this feature is instant win.

Kyoufu

MoxManiac said:
I hope they get rid of the school sim crap in P4

I have to agree. I have zero motivation to continue playing P3 because of the bullshit social links school system unjerihfgvwiokcneivgnrgv

I just want to level up!

tokkun

Kyoufu said:
I have to agree. I have zero motivation to continue playing P3 because of the bullshit social links school system unjerihfgvwiokcneivgnrgv

I just want to level up!

You don't have to do the social links unless you want the unlockable Personae. Anyway, it's really up to you to decide how much grinding and how much school stuff you do, since trips to Tartarus are optional. Just do whatever balance is most fun for you.

That's the best thing about P3.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
yeah balancing school life with the dungeon crawling was definitely the best part of the game, it does kinda become easier around the mid part since you dont have a lot of stuff to do like in the beginning (they should've kept it like that for the whole game) but still it was awesome

Kyoufu

tokkun said:
You don't have to do the social links unless you want the unlockable Personae. Anyway, it's really up to you to decide how much grinding and how much school stuff you do, since trips to Tartarus are optional. Just do whatever balance is most fun for you.

That's the best thing about P3.

But I was fighting in the dungeon that one time and then everyone became tired, so I had to leave (wow, I HAD TO FUCKING LEAVE WTF) and then i had to rest alot, fuck.

I really dont want to go back. Too much filler real-life simulator bullshit that stops me from doing what I want to do, play the game.

Ravidrath

The only thing I want in P4, on top of a great game, is widescreen support.

Also, the Wiimote head-shooting is an awesome idea. :D

Put me down for another who would have preferred a next-gen version. Anyway, they better make better enemies this time, rather than recycle them.

I can't wait for a next-gen SMT to see what awesome designs k-a-n-e-k-o comes up with.

tokkun

Kyoufu said:
But I was fighting in the dungeon that one time and then everyone became tired, so I had to leave (wow, I HAD TO FUCKING LEAVE WTF) and then i had to rest alot, fuck.

I really dont want to go back. Too much filler real-life simulator bullshit that stops me from doing what I want to do, play the game.

Learn how to pace yourself in dungeons. If you don't stay until everyone gets tired, you can go back every night. Also it's less of an issue later in the game because your characters take longer to get tired. When you have multiple characters you can go to Tartarus as long as your main character isn't tired. If he is, just go to the nurse's office at school to get un-tired. Finally, on the last day before the full moon, no one will get tired.

bryehn

Kyoufu said:

But that is the game for the most part. Sounds like a lot of people just want a straight up dungeon crawl next time.

I love the way P3 is laid out. It's one of the only RPGs I've played that can be managed in 5-10 minute chunks if you want it to be. I stepped away from the game for about a month, but had no problem getting back into it because of the way it's structured. Something that I can't say about almost every other RPG I've played in recent memory.

Mamesj

Banned
bryehn said:
But that is the game for the most part. Sounds like a lot of people just want a straight up dungeon crawl next time.

Ahhhh! god no!! I actually liked the silly school sim stuff (alliteration not intended.) it tied in with fusion nicely.

el Diablo

Banned
Kyoufu said:

I could have sworn there was a bug that allowed you to go to Tarturus w/o getting tired if you did it the night before a mission. Can't say for sure since i'm only aware of it because i know it was included in the changes made in FES. Didn't try it myself i leveled like a schmuck :lol

Error

el Diablo said:
I could have sworn there was a bug that allowed you to go to Tarturus w/o getting tired if you did it the night before a mission. Can't say for sure since i'm only aware of it because i know it was included in the changes made in FES. Didn't try it myself i leveled like a schmuck :lol
exp is controlled in P3 anyway, after 5 or 6 levels enemies stop giving exp... well they give exp but a really low amount.

plus the S.Links means you dont have to grind much to level up personae since the S.Link boosts take care of that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
el Diablo said:
It's not a bug, it's a feature. It's for people who aren't able to decently manage their visits to Tartarus. Then they can level up enough before the full moon to have a better chance at the next night boss.

I've also never needed to use it and everyone that I know that plays the game haven't either.

Fes doesn't have this because it's intended as an expansion to people who already played the game and have experience with the system.

mollipen

MoxManiac said:
I hope they get rid of the school sim crap in P4

If anything, they need MORE of the school stuff in the next game. Too much stuff was glossed over, going to after-school clubs was horribly under-utilized, tests were far too easy, etc.

Error

it's stupid too, since the full moon bosses are the easiest bosses in the game. the real challenge comes from the tartarus bosses.

Alts

Kyoufu said:
Too much filler real-life simulator bullshit that stops me from doing what I want to do, play the game.

See, but it wasn't filler. It was as much of a part of the game as the dungeon crawling. In the official thread, a lot of complaints came when there was no more social stuff we could do, and all that was left was explore Tartarus on certain days. And those days kind of sucked.

Tokubetsu

shidoshi said:
If anything, they need MORE of the school stuff in the next game. Too much stuff was glossed over, going to after-school clubs was horribly under-utilized, tests were far too easy, etc.

I completely agree. Also, I don't want to get too easy but I hated some of the sidequests (Like trying to get a special treasure chest to spawn when it only spawns on a certain number of floors.)

birdchili

eh. the school stuff wasn't nearly "gamey" enough for my tastes, and the stories needed some branches instead of pure linear progression. the complete lack of real challenge really sapped my interest in these bits. i do like that conversations actually mattered, but given the number of them, i wish they would have done so much more.

way too much annoying repetitive running around early in the game to boost stats.

keeping notes for passing tests was annoying too - ugh.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
birdchili said:
keeping notes for passing tests was annoying too - ugh.
If you were going through the trouble, you could use a FAQ for those instead.

birdchili

Error said:
are you telling me... you werent paying attention in class?! :p

solve everyone's problems, woo every girl in school, save the world and i need to *memorize* everything that's said in class without taking notes? oh yeah - if you could kill death too that'd be nice.

faqs are for the weak:)

NichM

Banned
Kyoufu said:

I just want to level up!

How did you ever deal with the other SMT games, where you also have to use the conversation system?

Error

SMT games starting with SMT3 reaaaaaaaaally tone down the Chatting with demons thing.

in SMT1/2 it was awesome because some normal enemies were fucking hard and talking your way out of a battle you were going to lose, was so freaking cool!

RyoHazuki

What are the chances of this hitting the states in 2008? Something about buying a PS2 game in 2009 would just feel a bit weird.

Top Bottom