• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omaha |OT| We Swear We're More Than the College World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

6gq7Hoj.png

they aren't playing around

Omadahl

Banned
I've got my salt, booze, and a ton of firewood. Bring it on mother nature, but seriously don't knock out my power please. @meanstreetsofomaha is going to be blowing up today and tomorrow.

My in-laws picked the right week to be in Kauai. Hope a tree doesn't crack and fall on their house.

My wife remembers being without power for a couple weeks during a Halloween ice storm when she was growing up in Omaha.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
My in-laws picked the right week to be in Kauai. Hope a tree doesn't crack and fall on their house.

My wife remembers being without power for a couple weeks during a Halloween ice storm when she was growing up in Omaha.

That storm is legendary around omaha. I was a paperboy then and I still did my route that day, lol. Delivered about 8 hours late, but I GOT IT DONE. I was in middle school and it was canceled for two weeks because of the mess.

FyreWulff

That storm is legendary around omaha. I was a paperboy then and I still did my route that day, lol. Delivered about 8 hours late, but I GOT IT DONE. I was in middle school and it was canceled for two weeks because of the mess.

THE OCTOBER SNOWSTORM(TM)

My stepdad and neighbors spent HOURS chainsawing a tree out of the street right after that came through.

ps i did this to my car

g9RYSAD.png

edit:

bonus fun fact: the reason we haven't seen such a legendary storm in terms of damage since then is it was so destructive that it took out pretty much of all the weakened trees in Omaha. It pretty much left almost no trees for future storms to knock down, because it hit at a perfect time where they were all loaded up with water and still had their leaves on. Over two-thirds of the canopy across the entire area itself took damage.

I live in KCMO.

We got a small icing last night. How you guys doing up there in Omaha?

I guess there is supposed to be another round tonight that is possibly when it's supposed to bring the heavy? Or is it just now going to be rain.

Oklahoma and Kansas got a proper fucking last night and today tho.

Skytylz

Banned
I grew up in Kearney, and 10 years ago when we had the big ice storm my family was without power for 8 days or something. It sucked it was during christmas break though. ONly got like 1 day off of school.

FyreWulff

I live in KCMO.

We got a small icing last night. How you guys doing up there in Omaha?

I guess there is supposed to be another round tonight that is possibly when it's supposed to bring the heavy? Or is it just now going to be rain.

Oklahoma and Kansas got a proper fucking last night and today tho.

i think the main event is supposed to happen into Monday at some point. We're getting a starter ice sheet going so far.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I live in west O by Lake Zorinsky on a big hill. One idiot parks in the street and, sure enough, car is out there right now. I have already seen cars slide through the stop sign at the bottom of the street, wouldn't doubt if his car gets smoke sometime tonight.

Was taking advantage of the "warm" weather to get a brew day in. Went to pull my car into the garage about 10 minutes ago and almost slipped about 3 times just walking down my driveway.

Was taking advantage of the "warm" weather to get a brew day in. Went to pull my car into the garage about 10 minutes ago and almost slipped about 3 times just walking down my driveway.

I was done being on roads as soon as it started raining pretty much. Just not worth the risk. How were the main streets?

Edit - okay, I'm guessing you just had your car in the driveway and weren't actually out and about. You were just doing some home brewing in the garage? What do you like to make?

Husker86

Coming back from vacation late Monday night. Wonder if this will affect flights.

My car is parked in park and go airport parking...it's going to be inside of a huge ice cube, isn't it?

I was done being on roads as soon as it started raining pretty much. Just not worth the risk. How were the main streets?

Edit - okay, I'm guessing you just had your car in the driveway and weren't actually out and about. You were just doing some home brewing in the garage? What do you like to make?

Yeah, just had to pull my car into the garage from the driveway. Made a Belgian Dark Strong.

FyreWulff

just walked around south o for a bit to go help someone get their car unstuck (i didn't want to bring my car and end up with two stuck cars)

spoiler to the end of the story: the car is still stuck, but i got it closer to the curb.

Q street is driveable
L street is "driveable" but most all the businesses on it between 24th and 84th are closed, even the gas stations.

Supermercado Nuestra Familia is open but so few customers inside that they're just working all their freight out on the floor

the sidewalks are all glass, and if you stray more than a half block off those main streets the streets are perfectly smooth ice. the falling ice-rain right now is going to make it even more smooth once it sets

edit: even all the churches around here closed, INCLUDING THE SALVATION ARMY, and they're usually open. I'm staying the fuck in.

YaBish

Came back to town from Lincoln on Friday because I had a dentist appointment scheduled for today 😑

On the bright side, UNL was cancelled tomorrow, so I don't have to worry about rushing back to school in the morning for class.

Callandor

UNO, no classes all day. Local public schools, closed for the day.

Metro? Of course not! No classes until noon. We always have to buck the damn trend.

FyreWulff

UNO, no classes all day. Local public schools, closed for the day.

Metro? Of course not! No classes until noon. We always have to buck the damn trend.

When I worked for the downtown library way back when, we had a new library administrator and they INSISTED we be open.. during a blizzard.. at night.

The rest of the damn city offices had gone home early at 3. Yet, here we were, a library, open at 9pm, and hoping we'd make it home alive..

If anyone in here was a fan of homebrew at beerfests, tell your representatives to support LB 254

LB 254 has been introduced by Senator Sue Crawford and referred to the general affairs committee for consideration.
Members of the committee are:
Sen. Tyson Larson, Chairperson, O'Neill area
Senator Carol Blood, Bellevue
Sen. Lydia Brasch, Tekamah
State Senator Burke Harr, Omaha
Senator Bob Krist, Omaha
Sen. Merv Riepe, Omaha
Sen. Justin Wayne, Omaha
State Senator Dan Quick, Grand Island
The following links have more information...
Legislature page on the bill
Text of the bill as introduced
Join the Nebraska Homebrew Advocacy Group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1226140900769947/

Does this allow for homebrew to be poured at festivals? I heard somebody got in trouble for that in a Omaha a while back.

It does. The definition of "guest" was re-interpreted last fall, making pouring of homebrew at any type of public or semi-public event illegal. This amendment clarifies some definitions and specifically allows for homebrew to be served at events.

KingV

When I worked for the downtown library way back when, we had a new library administrator and they INSISTED we be open.. during a blizzard.. at night.

The rest of the damn city offices had gone home early at 3. Yet, here we were, a library, open at 9pm, and hoping we'd make it home alive..

Metro should just follow public schools. Plenty of single parents at school there.

Hollycat

Anybody in Omaha looking to hire anyone or anything. Alternatively, anyone in here rich enough they want to hire a personal driver or anything?

I'm not having a lot of luck with money. Can't afford rent this month.

Anybody in Omaha looking to hire anyone or anything. Alternatively, anyone in here rich enough they want to hire a personal driver or anything?

I'm not having a lot of luck with money. Can't afford rent this month.

What kind of job are you looking for? Experience/skills?

Someone I know at VIP limo posted today that they are looking for a part time office worker.

Hollycat

What kind of job are you looking for? Experience/skills?

Someone I know at VIP limo posted today that they are looking for a part time office worker.
I'm very good at customer interaction. That's about all the skill I have. Experience wise I worked at amazon and a couple restaurants. I'm a taxi driver now but I think I might flip out if one more person tries to grope me or sniff me.

I'm very good at customer interaction. That's about all the skill I have. Experience wise I worked at amazon and a couple restaurants. I'm a taxi driver now but I think I might flip out if one more person tries to grope me or sniff me.

You could reach out to VIP about that part time office job. Otherwise I'll gladly keep an ear out for customer interaction oriented jobs.

Hollycat

You could reach out to VIP about that part time office job. Otherwise I'll gladly keep an ear out for customer interaction oriented jobs.
Honestly I think I'm done with picking people up and driving them around, but beggars can't be choosers :p

(Also if anyone in Omaha wants to buy a ton of video game stuff, looking to sell)

Palmer_v1

Honestly I think I'm done with picking people up and driving them around, but beggars can't be choosers :p

(Also if anyone in Omaha wants to buy a ton of video game stuff, looking to sell)

Anecdotally, I believe I overheard that some local Bellevue places were having issues hiring wait staff, but I have no specific info there.

I also know that First National(and probably others) are pretty much constantly hiring for call-center positions. Bank Tellers as well, probably.

https://firstnational.igreentree.com/CSS_External/CSSPage_SearchAndBrowseJobs.ASP?T=20170129002036&

What kinda video game stuff are you looking to get rid of? I've kinda been thinking about an xbox one recently, if that was something you wanted to sell.

FyreWulff

Hollycat, my cousin said you could use him as an employee referal if you'd like to apply to Hayneedle. I can PM you details once I get off from work. Most of their stuff is call center style.

Hollycat

Thank you everyone, I'll look into everything when I get home.
Anecdotally, I believe I overheard that some local Bellevue places were having issues hiring wait staff, but I have no specific info there.

I also know that First National(and probably others) are pretty much constantly hiring for call-center positions. Bank Tellers as well, probably.

https://firstnational.igreentree.com/CSS_External/CSSPage_SearchAndBrowseJobs.ASP?T=20170129002036&

What kinda video game stuff are you looking to get rid of? I've kinda been thinking about an xbox one recently, if that was something you wanted to sell.

What systems do you have stuff for?
I'm selling a PS3 and a bunch of games, an Xbox one and a couple games, and a KH 2.5 collectors edition

A bill is making its rounds through the legislature that would be very harmful to Nebraska's craft brewing scene. It restricts brewer's from opening new tap rooms, which is insane as it limits these small businesses.

http://empyreanbrewingco.com/dontkillourcraft/?age-verified=a94836c92a

Take a look at the link and contact your representative if you feel compelled. I'd post excerpts, but am on mobile atm.

I haven't read the bill yet, but I'll look now. So basically you can't have satellite locations? Kinda like what Thunderhead did? Are bars started to feel threatened?

FyreWulff

I haven't read the bill yet, but I'll look now. So basically you can't have satellite locations? Kinda like what Thunderhead did? Are bars started to feel threatened?

the legislator that submitted the bill took thousands of dollars from the bottling/distributor association

blatant as fuck

As I understand it, there are some good parts to the bill, however, the restriction that has everyone upset is included in the overall package.

Yeah, (some) distributers are mad breweries can set up satellite tap rooms (aka bars) and not have to sell through them. I guess I can kind of see their argument, seeing as BMC owned bars were the big bogeyman that the 3 tier system was supposed to protect against. In this case though, it's directly influenced by AB distributors directly lobbying the same state rep who sponsored the law that allowed this last year.

As I understand it, there are some good parts to the bill, however, the restriction that has everyone upset is included in the overall package.

Empyrean's website does a pretty terrible job of actually explaining what the bill would do. Someone in the Nebraska beer community should take the time to do so, because the 21 page PDF is filled with legalese that will turn most people away.

Empyrean's website does a pretty terrible job of actually explaining what the bill would do. Someone in the Nebraska beer community should take the time to do so, because the 21 page PDF is filled with legalese that will turn most people away.

Besides the expansion aspect, it apparently requires distributers to transfer beer from the brewery to the distributers warehouse before distribution. This is the part that has a bunch of breweries in the more rural parts of the state upset, since in many cases beer would be transported 100+ miles to Omaha or Lincoln before being sold to a bar 10 miles away. Kinkaider and Scratchtown have better descriptions on their Facebook pages I believe.

Yeah, I only posted the Empyrean thing as that was right in front of me at the time. That said, I still haven't seen a great non FB post summary. I'll try and dig something up later when I'm home.

Besides the expansion aspect, it apparently requires distributers to transfer beer from the brewery to the distributers warehouse before distribution. This is the part that has a bunch of breweries in the more rural parts of the state upset, since in many cases beer would be transported 100+ miles to Omaha or Lincoln before being sold to a bar 10 miles away. Kinkaider and Scratchtown have better descriptions on their Facebook pages I believe.

So basically:

1. Breweries cannot self distribute. At all. (Breweries in WA and OR under a certain size are allowed to self-distribute in WA)
2. There aren't distributor warehouses statewide so everything is funneled through Omaha and Lincoln.

That's pretty shitty.

http://www.theindependent.com/news/...520-e9ba-11e6-b39c-97225f9bdf71.html?mode=jqm

Good to see (at least some of) the craft distributors are standing with the breweries.

What's everyone here use for cell service and what's your level of satisfaction with them? I'm currently on Verizon and have no real complaints other than price. That said, I'm considering making a switch if they won't budge on some of their incentives they state are only for people switching over to Verizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom