• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omaha |OT| We Swear We're More Than the College World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, at a few of the recent beer fests. I really enjoy their alt and they make a good IPA. Still haven't made it down to their taproom though.

I was hoping I'd find a bottle at Beertopia. Nope. Got some Lucky Bucket, Hopluia, and Blue Blood for locals. And some Funkwerks bottles to take back to Seattle.

Probably going to Upstream in the market tomorrow if you want to say hi.

ianswoody

Heading home to Nebraska tomorrow morning. Grandfather passed away last night, so I will be in Norfolk for most of the weekend. Wanted to come home in July, but not like this. :(

FyreWulff

Thought this was going to renewed talks for a light rail between Omaha and Lincoln. But, I like this better.

Whenever I'd discussed it with people, it'd be like.. elevated light rail down 24th from north to south, then a Dodge St light rail for east/west to start.

Then put an express light rail between Omaha and Lincoln. Eastern terminus is in Council Bluffs, then one stop in downtown, then one stop on like 150th or 200th or something then on to Lincoln.

Not only is our existing transit system kind of bad, it's near impossible to do Lincoln<->Omaha sensibly without a car.

Metro's recovery rate at the farebox is something piss poor like 16% of their costs.

Whenever I'd discussed it with people, it'd be like.. elevated light rail down 24th from north to south, then a Dodge St light rail for east/west to start.

Then put an express light rail between Omaha and Lincoln. Eastern terminus is in Council Bluffs, then one stop in downtown, then one stop on like 150th or 200th or something then on to Lincoln.

Not only is our existing transit system kind of bad, it's near impossible to do Lincoln<->Omaha sensibly without a car.

Metro's recovery rate at the farebox is something piss poor like 16% of their costs.

Interesting concept. I would like to see that, but I don't think the return would be worth the initial costs.

I figured that Metro wasn't breaking even on with their fares/customers, but I didn't know it was that bad.

It seems that Omaha wants to be a big city, but it is holding itself back. Damn shame. I like it, but I want out.

Interesting concept. I would like to see that, but I don't think the return would be worth the initial costs.

I figured that Metro wasn't breaking even on with their fares/customers, but I didn't know it was that bad.

It seems that Omaha wants to be a big city, but it is holding itself back. Damn shame. I like it, but I want out.

Cant even begin big city talk until they tone down the sprawl, and embrace the idea of urban density and public transportation. It's something Seattle is still struggling with, and we've got light rail running with more on the way.

FyreWulff

I lived in Vancouver for a while and have been through Seattle for PAX. Seattle's light rail is pretty useful, at least for me as a tourist, since it goes directly from the airport to the downtown core, but I look at that map of Seattle metro and it's like.. Seattle, stop sprawlin'

It's kind of annoying to go to Des Moines, which has like half our population, and even their public transportation infrastructure feels more advanced and 'big city' than Omaha's.

I lived in Vancouver for a while and have been through Seattle for PAX. Seattle's light rail is pretty useful, at least for me as a tourist, since it goes directly from the airport to the downtown core, but I look at that map of Seattle metro and it's like.. Seattle, stop sprawlin'

The current light rail stretch is really nice... for those who live around it in South Seattle and downtown. In another nine years there will be a station three blocks from my house, which will be great, but still nine years away.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

It's kind of annoying to go to Des Moines, which has like half our population, and even their public transportation infrastructure feels more advanced and 'big city' than Omaha's.

I've spent pretty much my whole life in Lincoln (StarTran is a fucking joke) and visit Omaha now and again, but goddamn, living out here in the Bay Area for these past couple months has really shown me how great public transit is. That said, I think Omaha needs it more than Lincoln by a long ways.

FyreWulff

I think there's supposed to be some more east/west ones coming.

Also, has anyone gone over to the new Hanafan Park in Council Bluffs? The interactive light field is pretty damn cool.

I also spent way too much time lost over in CB tonight trying to figure out how to get to the parking lot next to the actual field in that park. Ended up just parking in the neighborhood at the end of the pedestrian bridge and walked to it from that side. I realized for the first time that CB has 4-way no-stop intersections..

I live in Lincoln and feel like it has a better public transportation system than Omaha. People are riding their bikes everywhere too.

Anyone attending the Senior Open? I'm not a golf fan, but I'm glad to see something like this come around here, and up in the hood, no less!

Hope this helps out North O.

FyreWulff

Anyone attending the Senior Open? I'm not a golf fan, but I'm glad to see something like this come around here, and up in the hood, no less!

Hope this helps out North O.

Haven't gone but they really do need to give north o more events.

South O had the CWS for the longest time, and while we miss it, South O still has the Zoo. Downtown has the swim trials and the CWS now. West Omaha has things too. We need to spread the events around so all parts of the city benefit.

FyreWulff

Ah, there really is no place like Nebraska. Home sweet home.

wb

Also, I'll note this.. as a kid, going to Schramm felt like a road trip.

I went there yesterday for a hike. It was like this going down I-80:

"Hey, it looks like we finally left the metro. I don't see any more civilization"

"Here's our exit"

dat sprawl

see5harp

Runza is so fucking weird. Their meat onion paste is like a giant portion of the stuff they put in the Jack in Box tacos.

You might know but Runza's are a type of Beirocks. Not hard to make. If you don't want to make, and let the dough rise, then just use the cresent-roll tubes of dough. There are many recipes on the internet.

Husker86

Does anyone happen to know people who work for Union Pacific downtown and if so did you hear anything about someone falling off of a bridge around 11th and Cuming on late June 22nd/early June 23rd and being found by a UP security guard who took him to his hotel/called an ambulance?

Husker86

I would love to know what you are talking about!

I was out for a friend's bachelor party downtown, we had a hotel (right across from TD Ameritrade Field) and went out around 8pm. These were high school friends so they weren't accustomed to my drunken shenanigans and at some point after 9pm I ventured off on my own. I have very hazy memories of wandering around in an open area and scaling a bridge. While hanging on the bridge I saw a ledge below me and decided to drop to it...that didn't work. I bounced off of it and fell, broke my ankle and 2 vertebra. I couldn't walk and have no idea how long I was down, but a UP security guard found me and took me back to my hotel in his Polaris RZR.

Basically I just have no idea what bridge I fell off of lol. Only one I can think of is where Cuming turns to Abbot (looked at bridge on Google Maps and it has a lower ledge). Fall height seems right as well. The surrounding area just doesn't look like what my terrible blackout memory remembers.

For the record, I thought the college world series was in Oklahoma my whole life, so you guys don't even get THAT one.

Omaha, I hear, is a pretty hip town according to my friend who visits family there. Like a mini-Austin. EDIT: (Or was that OKC, too)

Husker86

For the record, I thought the college world series was in Oklahoma my whole life, so you guys don't even get THAT one.

Omaha, I hear, is a pretty hip town according to my friend who visits family there. Like a mini-Austin. EDIT: (Or was that OKC, too)

It's pretty nice. Where I want it to be is more like Kansas City. I haven't spent much time there (mostly drive through to get to the Ozarks), but it seems like Omaha with more artistic architecture and a more lively vibe.

Don't worry, probably half of them are out of business due to not paying back taxes by now

So bummed Tommy Colina's closed down because of this (from what I hear).

Shennanigans

Damn dude, hope you feel better. Can't help you out on the bridge part though.

It's pretty nice. Where I want it to be is more like Kansas City. I haven't spent much time there (mostly drive through to get to the Ozarks), but it seems like Omaha with more artistic architecture and a more lively vibe.

Lived in KC for two years and I think you are absolutely right.

FyreWulff

I attribute this to Omaha syndrome: we could have a lot more interesting-ness and activity, but it's a big city that likes to pretend it's a quaint small town and will do so until it's dragged kicking and screaming into modern times. See also: reaction to bike lanes

So bummed Tommy Colina's closed down because of this (from what I hear).

It was, and it happens all the time (especially over on r/omaha)

A restaurant will be all A BLOO BLOO WE'RE GOING TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS IN 4 MONTH

place is packed. they're not paying their taxes

people are 'wtf', go and show their support.

place gets even more business, owners still don't pay their taxes, and go out of business anyway.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Is getting a NebraskaGAF meetup together before the end of the month out of the question? Went on a meet-up (and two mini-meet-ups with Cyan) when I was living the SF Bay Area, and they were a blast.

Is getting a NebraskaGAF meetup together before the end of the month out of the question? Went on a meet-up (and two mini-meet-ups with Cyan) when I was living the SF Bay Area, and they were a blast.

I would be down, depending on my schedule. Last weekend of the month is out of the question, though. :)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Cool. I have to leave the state at the end of the month to go back to college, but it'd be cool. I'm in Lincoln is the only thing. If anyone finds themselves here for whatever reason and wants to do a mini-meetup outside of the meetup proper, let me know.

FyreWulff

People still going to try to meet up?

Also, anyone aware of any local store here that sells Sprite Zero in 24 packs? Bit of a tangent, but if there is one, I'd like to save a few bucks buying it in 24s instead of 12s.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Got a job offer from Applied Underwriters... I have a few friends who work there and the main one I talked to about it says he makes about 90 to 100k per year...

I need this job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom