• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P R O M E T H E U S |OT| Ridley Scott goes back to Building Better Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

msv

Searched the thread and found nothing:

Prometheus Actually Explained (With Real Answers) by Twin Perfect (the guys who did that 2 hour long review of the Silent Hill HD collection and ripped it to shreds)
What answers did you get from this? Did you not get those answers yourself already, while watching the movie? Or are you posting it because you think the people who don't like the movie didn't come up with these answers? I'll say it again, that video is insulting and annoying, and a lot of the answers aren't answers at all, just pure bias.

UrbanRats

Prometheus Actually Explained (With Real Answers) by Twin Perfect (the guys who did that 2 hour long review of the Silent Hill HD collection and ripped it to shreds)

Can't stand these two.
Their only video i liked is the one about the Silent Hill HD collection, because it doesn't dwell too much on personal interpretationsa nd it's more about technical facts, otherwise they're pretty arrogant and obnoxious.
Starting the video saying Lost is one of the best TV shows ever made also doesn't help.

I don't know why everyone obsess so much on the "answers" though, i think Prometheus underwhelming writing goes beyond those.

GhaleonEB

Just through watching it. It starts with them saying the will answer questions by looking at the actual movie. But over half their answers are based on interviews and viral marketing material, and then they ignore or mock the actual good questions that can't be addressed that way. Such as, why didn't anyone care Shaw just had a caesarian of an alien. Answer: "Why would they? They were going to see an alien!"

That's one stupid goddamn answer.

Just through watching it. It starts with them saying the will answer questions by looking at the actual movie. But over half their answers are based on interviews and viral marketing material, and then they ignore or mock the actual good questions that can't be addressed that way. Such as, why didn't anyone care Shaw just had a caesarian of an alien. Answer: "Why would they? They were going to see an alien!"

That's one stupid goddamn answer.

Or why did they get lost. Well, because the connection with the ship was iffy. Ehrm, I didn't know one needed a connection with the ship to get a bearing...

Calmine

I'm a bit out of the loop on this: are the deleted scenes integrated back into the movie or not?

The details of the collectors and 2 disc version both list it being the Theatrical Cut. So it is doubtful that they are. It'll be all part of the special features. Shame really I'd hope they're be a director cuts.

Tigel

I don't really understand this mentality - would you have rather the scenes remain unviewable?
Of course not. What I mean is that if you're going to do an half-assed job, why bother at all? I would have bought an Extended Edition day one but now I'll likely just end up watching the deleted scenes on Youtube...
That's a shame because I really liked the movie.

Izick

Hey guys, I apologize if that Twin Perfect video wasn't up to snuff. I actually haven't watched it yet, but I figured it was made so I mentioned it. I really liked their Silent Hill HD Collection review so I figured it would be quality. I'll update my impressions of it whenever I get a chance to watch it later on.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm watching this movie for the first time right now. Is it me or is the intro music straight out of Superman Returns? It has "superhero medley" written all over it. Also - I don't know where they shot the intro but it looks amazing.

Anyway, looking forward to it. I've been following this thread and the "lukewarm" responses in general, so I'm cautious.

strobogo

Banned
It's probably for the best since expectations have been lowered so much and the ridiculous hyperbole about how bad it is will make it seem much better. You'll be able to see it for what it is and not either the worst movie ever made or greatest sci-fi landmark film since Alien. Because it isn't either of those.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's probably for the best since expectations have been lowered so much and the ridiculous hyperbole about how bad it is will make it seem much better. You'll be able to see it for what it is and not either the worst movie ever made or greatest sci-fi landmark film since Alien. Because it isn't either of those.

Agreed. I'd say it is mediocre at best. I thoroughly enjoyed the visuals, the movie looks beyond spectacular from beginning to end. The special effects are of a tier I've never seen before, and I really enjoyed the long panoramic scenes of landscapes and spacecrafts.

That being said, the movie itself was pretty terrible. Script made little sense, was riddled with cliches and there were way too many "movie logic" situations. You know, situations where people do something in a movie that someone in real life in the same situation would NEVER do. There was also an absurd amount of "these characters need to die because of reasons". It was like someone was sitting there with a stopwatch going "hold up, we haven't had anyone die in 30 minutes, time to kill someone off". The movie just wasn't scary. At all. It had a few moments of minor suspense, but that was pretty much it. A lot of stuff felt shoehorned in for the sake of creating a connection to the Alien movies.

I also had trouble following the motives of certain characters, especially what the endgoal was of what is probably the main character of the movie, David.

I guess it was an entertaining movie for its visual presentation but it has no redeeming factors beyond that. And the excessive use of the "superman music" at the most awkward of moments annoyed me greatly.

Facism

almost bought this until i read that the deleted scenes weren't integrated into the movie. Will wait for the next edition.

Dyno

Prometheus lacked logical consistency and so do some of these explanations. They explain Shaw's quick medical recovery by saying future medicine is very advanced, and yet thet don't hold the same logic to the tunnel mappers in preventing two crew members from becoming lost. If Google Maps prevents me from getting lost today then there should be no excuse in the future, especially when they become specifically prepared. They should just admit that it was a cliched horror trope that was inelegantly used.

Other times they are simply being willfully ignorant, like the biologist who exposes himself to the worm xeno because earth snakes aren't that strong. There are earth snakes that have swallowed humans whole. Some are deadly poisonous, like the cobra this creature seemed to emulate in behavior, performing a threat display. The biologist - like most of the characters - are poorly written and again this is for the sake of using tired horror tropes.

I could go on but I did like some of what they said. The religious context was nice to have spelled out; Leviticus, the Engineer's religion, the cycle of life forms creating other life forms but perhaps never knowing fully why or who was first.

Above all it made me want to watch it again.

Prometheus lacked logical consistency and so do some of these explanations. They explain Shaw's quick medical recovery by saying future medicine is very advanced, and yet thet don't hold the same logic to the tunnel mappers in preventing two crew members from becoming lost. If Google Maps prevents me from getting lost today then there should be no excuse in the future, especially when they become specifically prepared. They should just admit that it was a cliched horror trope that was inelegantly used.

Other times they are simply being willfully ignorant, like the biologist who exposes himself to the worm xeno because earth snakes aren't that strong. There are earth snakes that have swallowed humans whole. Some are deadly poisonous, like the cobra this creature seemed to emulate in behavior, performing a threat display. The biologist - like most of the characters - are poorly written and again this is for the sake of using tired horror tropes.

I could go on but I did like some of what they said. The religious context was nice to have spelled out; Leviticus, the Engineer's religion, the cycle of life forms creating other life forms but perhaps never knowing fully why or who was first.

Above all it made me want to watch it again.

Like I said, they make some good points, but it would be so much better, if it wasn't for the tone and some of the fanboy wankery.

btw, wonderful avatar.

Holy sh it, the 3h50 min making off on the BR (3D combo) is amazing, so much skill, just mind blowing and fascinating, love how many things they did practically.

Nemesis_

I actually hate how Twin Perfect tend to present their own opinion as fact and hold their own views high and mightily above everyone elses.

It just comes across as really wankish.

I did like the religious themes being spelt out, though.

Erigu

I actually hate how Twin Perfect tend to present their own opinion as fact and hold their own views high and mightily above everyone elses.
I wouldn't really have a problem with that, but their video pretty much consists of valid answers to stupid questions and stupid answers to valid questions.

Erigu

I guess I was more referring to their Silent Hill stuff.
I thought they were trying way too hard to push their views on the viewers, there, yeah. I remember rolling my eyes several times as they were arguing semantics based on a translation of a Japanese guidebook. Surely, I appreciate the fact they use and cite official sources, but they're so biased...

strobogo

Banned
It's not a direct prequel. It isn't even basically a prequel. It is a prequel only in the sense that it takes place in the same universe but before the first movie. It really has no direct influence or importance to Alien. It's a few sequels before it gets to a direct prequel to Alien.

It's not a direct prequel. It isn't even basically a prequel. It is a prequel only in the sense that it takes place in the same universe but before the first movie. It really has no direct influence or importance to Alien. It's a few sequels before it gets to a direct prequel to Alien.
I laughed.

It apes Alien's entire structure, themes and gives us shittier versions of those characters. You even have Ripley's sign off from the end of Alien directly lifted for Shaw at the end of this.

seems like the biggest flaw of the movie is they keep moving the focus of the prometheus myth. The movie would've made a lot more sense if it was a human instead of a proto alien that was born.

Got my blu ray on Friday. Rewatched the movie. Various parts of the movie hold up beautifully but the script holding it all together seems so shoddy. I actually preferred the second half of the movie watching it at home as the movie shifts into another gear when they go back to the temple and it becomes a briskly paced pulpy sci-fi horror. That moment when you can stop focusing on what the characters are saying and just look at the set pieces.

I put on the Lindelof commentary for a couple of minutes and skipped around the movie. At one point he was mentioning how he loves ambiguity, and he then refers to Inception - I found it amusing when he said he was still thinking about the movie two years after its release.

I think I'll see the Making Of next, which should be a good watch. I'll then listen to the Ridley Scott commentary (which is always one of the best things about his home releases). I'll save the Lindelof commentary for when I need a good laugh .

Question: I haven't seen the movie yet but might wanna see it. Is the movie a horror movie? I too pussy to watch horror movies. And if it is, on what gore/horror level is it? I've seen the AvP and Predator movies (and Predators).

Question: I haven't seen the movie yet but might wanna see it. Is the movie a horror movie? I too pussy to watch horror movies. And if it is, on what gore/horror level is it? I've seen the AvP and Predator movies (and Predators).

horror movie. not very scary, but some decent gore. no more gore than any other present-day horror movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom