• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P R O M E T H E U S |OT| Ridley Scott goes back to Building Better Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

- J - D -

Saw this on Amazon just now. I guess if you don't like the regular blu-ray cover, you can pay more for the unmistakable 3D one:

812fUoph3bL._AA1500_.jpg

GhaleonEB

That cover makes me think that they should've erased all mention of the Alien universe in the movie.

Why though? It has something to do with it.

Change the shape of the ship at the end, and the design of the suits. Bam. It has nothing to do with Alien.

The rounded 'o' on that cover sticks out like a sore thumb against the other angular letters.
Well, the Prometheus story ends with a narrative loop that repeats. The O standing out like that could be a reference to it. Otherwise, I'd agree; the O should have had the same angles as the U.

Puddles

Banned
This and TDKR are still the two most enjoyable films of 2012 for me. And both are full of holes and can be dissected apart.

TDKR at least builds up to something and has payoff moments that make you feel like you're watching a film with a point.

commedieu

Banned
I'll gladly buy the directors cut with the 35 minutes. But I'm not budging to pay for this shit again just to break the bluray disc out of frustration.

andycapps

I'll gladly buy the directors cut with the 35 minutes. But I'm not budging to pay for this shit again just to break the bluray disc out of frustration.

Yup, I assumed that the DC was being released out of the gate. No thanks to theatrical version when I know the better version is coming out eventually.

James Cameron talks about Prometheus:

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/09/06/james-cameron-titanic-kat_n_1861572.html

As someone who was connected to the "Alien" legacy, what did you think about "Prometheus"?

I enjoyed "Prometheus"; I thought it was great. I thought it was Ridley
returning to science fiction with gusto, with great tactical
performance, beautiful photography, great native 3D. There might have
been a few things that I would have done differently, but that’s not the
point, you could say that about any movie.

Did it make you feel like you wanted to revisit the world of "Alien" at all?

No. No, I feel that I’m too far away from it right now, too much other
work has been done -- too thickly layered, a palimpsest of other talents
from Fincher to everybody that’s come along since.

Do you enjoy watching other people’s movies?

Oh, yeah. I’m a huge movie fan. I love watching films. I love watching
films with the family, with the kids; I love watching films myself. I
was out there opening night [for] "Prometheus." I didn’t go to the
Thursday midnight screening, but I was there Friday. I like to still get
excited about movies and whether they pay off or not, that’s not the
point -- the fact that there’s still an excitement around a new movie,
about the an unveiling of a new movie.

So you’re able to enjoy movies as a viewer?

"Prometheus" is a film I saw twice, and I thought about it ahead of
time. The first time I would just enjoy it, go for the ride, not be too
analytical and the second time I would allow myself to be a little more
analytical about, you know, where the lights were and how they lit the
shots with all the people in the helmets, how they probably had to do CG
faceplates like we did on "Avatar," things like that. But, sometimes,
so that I preserve a fun, fan-like viewing experience, I won’t get into
that level. I’ll just go for the ride, like, consciously.

big ander

Do you enjoy watching other people’s movies?

So you’re able to enjoy movies as a viewer?
how does an interviewer even become incompetent enough to ask questions like this? all directors watch movies. it's how they became directors. stupid.

GhaleonEB

In what department exactly? Story? Visuals?

Coherence. Building from one scene to another. Setting up things that lead to payoffs. Characters who don't try to pet alien cobras. In creating action scenes that have consequences and stakes, with elegance.

There's more, but basically it's not a giant goddamn mess, albeit a pretty one.

Brera

Banned
I can see what they are aiming for with that camera.

If you look at the pose, it's basically the classic Alien pose.

Erigu

One of the movies was mind-numbing and the other movie is prometheus.
Prometheus sure stimulates the viewer's mind.
"What the fuck was the writer thinking?"
"Who ever thought this was a good idea?"
"Are they seriously hinting at a sequel?"

T Dollarz

I definitely had a better theater experience with Avatar than with Prometheus.

That being said, I've only seen them each one time.

rekameohs

Banned
For me, the thing about Avatar was that it had a goal and it executed it well. It used incredible special effects to tell a decent love story and competent action film. None of it was really fresh, as everyone and their grandma has said, but it did what it was meant to do. Prometheus used incredible special effects to tell a story with terrible characters, crappy writing, and motivations that made no sense, in addition to clumsily leeching itself onto the Alien franchise.

BluWacky

For me, the thing about Avatar was that it had a goal and it executed it well. It used incredible special effects to tell a decent love story and competent action film. None of it was really fresh, as everyone and their grandma has said, but it did what it was meant to do. Prometheus used incredible special effects to tell a story with terrible characters, crappy writing, and motivations that made no sense, in addition to clumsily leeching itself onto the Alien franchise.

While I don't disagree with the above (although David and (almost) Shaw I think are good characters in Prometheus) I would much rather see Prometheus again than Avatar.

While Prometheus's poor script made me irritated, it was irritating in a "thoughtful" way - I actually cared about the fact that it was bad. I laughed out loud at Avatar in the cinema - I don't think I'd ever want to sit through it again.

Avatar was a better movie. Plot and characters cliché, but they made sense and the movie was coherent. Technically, Avatar obviously trounces Prometheus, the technology behind it, visual FX, the science behind it, there's just no comparison.

Prometheus is a mess in comparison. A pretty one, but still a mess. It had potential, particularly considering the universe it is supposed to be from, but the script was just too flawed even for a visionary director like Ridley Scott.

diamount

Banned
Avatar was a better movie. Plot and characters cliché, but they made sense and the movie was coherent. Technically, Avatar obviously trounces Prometheus, the technology behind it, visual FX, the science behind it, there's just no comparison.

Prometheus is a mess in comparison. A pretty one, but still a mess. It had potential, particularly considering the universe it is supposed to be from, but the script was just too flawed even for a visionary director like Ridley Scott.

Aye, the only impressive thing visually was the landing scene and going through the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom