• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade launches Kickstarter for more podcasts (lol) [110K Funded]

Their goal is only $10. The more disgusting part is the people who actually give them money for this.

Oh yea sure, they just wanted $10. What nice guys, weren't asking for more than that! You can't harp on them now.

Thanks CheapyD for all your work on the podcast!

def sim

So what? Unless money has been taken away from me without my consent, it looks like they're using kickstarter as intended.

Valnen

What exactly is wrong with this? They're not scamming anyone.
What nice guys, weren't asking for more than that! You can't harp on them now.
In this case, no, you really have no right to be upset.

Tain

How could I possibly be upset at these guys saying they'll make some podcasts for cash? Honestly.

I don't see this as scummy. I see it as, at worst, a bad deal that I'd never consider. I can't wrap my brain around being upset at this sort of thing.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Their fans are people capable of free choice and are not hapless. They don't need KS to do this, I'd wager, but I don't care if they try it. If any PA fans share the opinion of the OP, they can chose not to contribute.

My friend's tweet sums it up:

"All I'm learning from the current state of crowdfunding is that I can't wait to be rich because then people will give me money."

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh and for 20 episodes only! Of course. So they can go back to this same well and do it again, as was always their intention. Fucks sake. Die crowdfunding, die, and come back with lessons learned of policing lest you create entire generations of aimless entitled digital buskers.

PAX attendance:

unRbKGi.png

But they can't do a podcast without begging people for money. Fuck Penny Arcade.

Gannd

Banned
If you can get other people to fund stuff for you. Take advantage of it.

Pretty much how any business works. Ethics has no place in this.

In the real world though, that's looow.

No. Business does gave ethics. Most business produce a product and/or service for a monetary exchange. This is just tacky.

How could I possibly be upset at these guys saying they'll make some podcasts for cash? Honestly.

I don't see this as scummy. I see it as, at worst, a bad deal that I'd never consider.

This is just a dirty way to utilize kickstarter I think.

Make a podcast, put a donate link on the page or sell shirts. Just feels weird asking for handouts ahead of time so people can hear you talk...

UraMallas

Yea, it's an easy way to make sure they pocket the money for it. Set the goal as low as possible and with enough followers and sites like GAF, people will see it and want in. They are already 1000x times over their goal....

Oh, man. This is actually really close to a scam. But only because people are stupid.

Nokterian

After the susan wilson debacle i am not pledging anymore on kickstarter. Only through there own websites with paypal of something similiar. This is disgusting to say the least.

MrHicks

Banned
next time bill gates tries to do something and tries kickstarter there WILL be donaters

whats that saying "a fool and his money are easily parted"

I'd say PA is really trying to troll KS here.

One of the stretch goals is funding an original song, and they need to buy recording equipment to make it.. Kinda like that rule about someone doing a KS because they want a camera.

McDougles

In all honesty, Kickscammer doesn't care. In fact, they actively encourage controversy and derision among projects that essentially will guarantee them money.

I was an early "researcher" into the Susan Wilson Kickstarter project, including finding the picture of her with fellow millionaire Warren Buffet among other things. I made many comments while pledging the retractable $1 donation, and finally decided to withdraw and make one final statement saying essentially "There's nothing we can do. Kickstarter seems to not care to enforce their own rules about 'fund my life' projects. This would be perfect for IndieGoGo where no such requirements are needed, but unfortunately that decision was not made. I hope everything works out for your Kenzie (9 year old); you don't deserve this."

I was temporarily banned from KS. I got an email saying that I essentially broke their rules about "being a meanie" when it came to non-constructive comments. The only difference between my post and the HUNDREDS made by others?

I told them to use a competing service, IndieGoGo.

They don't care. As long as they don't break the law, they'll do anything to accommodate projects getting a lot of money, allowing themselves to take a larger cut in profit.

Einbroch

Banned
Pathetic, but why not? If people want to throw their money at this stupid kickstarter, let them.

Let people do what they want.

That... Huh.

I wouldn't say most disgusting, but it is a bit... Why do you need money to do this? Podcasts are, like, one of the easiest things to do creatively online. I don't think you'd need any money to do it, as all you have to do is be an interesting speaker.

My brother and I have a podcast, and we don't get ANY money from it, and these guys can't do it? =S Really?

Kusagari

The fact Kickstarter allowed the $10 goal is basically them saying, "yeah we're nothing but a way for millionaires to easily get donations now."

Bisonian

I don't know who I feel worse about.

On one hand, PA is saying they are doing this for free (OK $10, total.), and posting pretty clearly that the episodes will be available for free 2 weeks after they are available for backers. You are paying $10 for early access. They are being pretty transparent about it. Yet, they know better. They are cashing in on the zealotry of their fan base and seemingly cashing in for a rather large bounty.

On the other hand, donators can't stop to take the time to read the details and just can't throw free money away fast enough. They aren't being forced to. They aren't making a difference on whether this product gets made or not. They just want to blow money, I guess. The reward tiers don't even seem well thought out or impressive.

The whole thing just makes me feel bad for everyone involved. There are some really dumb people out there on the internet, I guess.

Nugg

Isn't there some kind of validation process on Kickstarter? A $10 goal doesn't raise a red flag or something?

Averon

The beginning of the end for Kickstarter? It seems the vultures/scammers are coming out in force now that KS has established itself as being an easy money target.

It's pretty sad because KS had the potential to be really special.

Because podcasting isn't cheap. I support content that I enjoy and understand that sustainability is derived through publishing deals or private funding. Penny Arcade may be a well funded operation, but its also a corporation that needs to be sustained. Plus, I really enjoyed the old podcast, much like how I enjoy Retronaughts and Idle Thumbs. So yeah.

Top Bottom