• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade launches Kickstarter for more podcasts (lol) [110K Funded]

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So if kickstarting podcasts isn't new, and charging for podcasts isn't new, what am I supposed to be ticked off at, exactly?

whitehawk

Banned
That to me is basically saying "we don't have a goal".

"We just want your money".

Fuck them. This is the final nail in their coffin in my case: I've slowly been losing interest and respect in them over the last few years and this is just ridiculous and sick.

Edit: okay, I should probably calm down, but ha, seriously, fuck these guys.
This is sort of how I saw it. It doesn't cost much to do a podcast, and they already have the funds. They basically know that people will just give them money anyway. The stretch goals they have and reward tiers prove that.

On the other hand, if people give them their money, that's their fault.

Slavik81

On one hand, the people pledging know exactly what they're spending their money on. They aren't being swindled.

On the other hand, it's a little hard to see this as much more than a fundraising drive when the threshold is that low.

I suppose it's up to Kickstarter to decide if they're ok with that.

Pathetic, but why not? If people want to throw their money at this stupid kickstarter, let them.

Let people do what they want.

What? They are doing what they want. I could create a kickstarter so I can go eat fancy dinners every night and write a tweet about it. I'm totally able to do that, but I'd also wouldn't be shocked if I was called out for being a scummy douche. And add the fact that these guys are already making bank with what they do and are asking for people to pay them to do their job... it gets weird.

DJ_Lae

Part of me wants to think it's a joke, but the actual Kickstarter page doesn't seem so tongue in cheek.

Shouldn't there be a requirement for Kickstarter projects to be clearly budgeted and the goal to be set in accordance with that?

A $10 goal is undermining the entire concept and sends all kinds of wrong messages. It's either "we have no idea how much it will cost" or "we don't care how much we get since we can pay for it already, just give us all you got".

They should've just sold subscriptions to the podcast instead of going through kickstarter.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
$20,000 and they'll bless us with a theme song!

I will personally learn the guitar and drive to your house for one freaking thousand.

udivision

If I say "give me money, and I'll make a video of myself dancing,"
and if people give me money,
and if i make a video of myself dancing,
then well... that's that.

So if kickstarting podcasts isn't new, and charging for podcasts isn't new, what am I supposed to be ticked off at, exactly?

Because having a $10 goal says to me, "We don't need your money, we just want it."
It's like they're lampooning the concept of crowdfunding.
Maybe that's the point...

That is what revenue is for.

And this is a model of generating revenue. Thanks.

Is literally no one else going to come into this thread and say that asking people to pay for something they want is okay? There's a tangible thing they're selling, 20 episodes of a podcast, and they're going to use this money to hire a dedicated audio guy to edit the episodes, so you're getting something of higher quality than "we turned on a microphone while we were in the room and here's what happened."

But it's not worth it if they do the Kickstarter and nobody wants to pay for it.

Nugg

Can I set up a Kickstarter with a $1 goal to help me keep posting on Gaf? With a new keyboard as a stretch goal? It's just free money, I'll always find enough people stupid enough to raise like 20 bucks

Einbroch

Banned
What? They are doing what they want. I could create a kickstarter so I can go eat fancy dinners every night and write a tweet about it. I'm totally able to do that, but I'd also wouldn't be shocked if I was called out for being a scummy douche. And add the fact that these guys are already making bank with what they do and are asking for people to pay them to do their job... it gets weird.

I was more referring to the people who donate, not Penny Arcade.

whitehawk

Banned
Because podcasting isn't cheap. I support content that I enjoy and understand that sustainability is derived through publishing deals or private funding. Penny Arcade may be a well funded operation, but its also a corporation that needs to be sustained. Plus, I really enjoyed the old podcast, much like how I enjoy Retronaughts and Idle Thumbs. So yeah.
What are these expensive costs that are associated with podcasting?

Rapstah

Kickstarter's rules for not being allowed to fund someone's life in general are unclear because that's all money in general is ever going to go to unless you hide it somewhere and that would be a really boring Kickstarter.

Salaadin

What exactly is wrong with this? They're not scamming anyone.

In this case, no, you really have no right to be upset.

Does Penny Arcade need 10 dollars to start a podcast? I highly doubt it.
Secondly, they know their fanbase. Setting the goal that low is pretty much guaranteeing that you will hit that goal..removing any risk of not hitting that goal. And then they just get to sit there and watch the excess pile up thanks to their fans for the next 30 days.

Its not technically a scam but its a gross abuse of kickstarter and one that kickstarter needs to get rid of. Sours my thoughts on both PA and kickstarter that shit like this happens and is allowed to happen.

Theyre site is popular enough. Stick a damn donate button on the page and use that to get your 10 dollars.

A $10 goal they never define all the way up to a $20,000 stretch goal MP3. Next stretch goal: $40,000 for the same song in Lossless!

I feel ill.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If this whole Kickstarter ordeal has taught me anything it's numerous examples of a fool and his money, it's like a database of stupidity. Plenty of source material and evidence if someone ever asks me if someone can be that stupid.

> Goal: $10

Yeah, PA can fuck right off with that.
[EDIT]
Each episode will be between 20-60 minutes, edited for the soul of wit. Backers get them first, and after two weeks every episode (barring those exclusive to backers) will go up as pay-what-you-want.
BWHAHAHAHA. Fuck off.

Polari

I hate Penny Arcade as much as anyone (their last Kickstarter was just as shameless) but blame their idiot fans for throwing cash at them.

Seems like a play on one of their comics...

i-FKNNKxh-950x10000.jpg

Huh...maybe they are just fucking around with everyone?...but getting tons of free money at the same time? I dont even know anymore. What is internets

Geedorah

This is a terrible campaign, I refuse to back it... They haven't even finished fulfilling the backer rewards from their first campaign, and they are out begging for more money.

1-D_FTW

My brother and I have a podcast, and we don't get ANY money from it, and these guys can't do it? =S Really?

Try harder;) You need to become rich and famous and then you too can do a Kickstarter with an unlimited goal.

The CGW guys really peaked too early. They could have made major bank doing yearly Kickstarters. Could have stopped working and laid in a hammock all day.

Karak

I suppose it's up to Kickstarter to decide if they're ok with that.

After having run a Kickstarter both successful and not. I have to say that Kickstarters...ideas of ok and so forth are only as deep as what they feel they can make from it. It is pretty crazy in fact. There is still 0 accountability.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Are they trying to make a point here? Can't blame them to ask for money when there are people so gullible to give it to them in the first place.

The $10 goal thing just seems a little abusive, considering that Kickstarter discourages you from lowballing goals to try and get more money. That's what happened with that game project that failed by $28 dollars, if you remember - nobody on their team bothered to pledge the rest, because they were hoping that their initial goal would be met way earlier in the campaign.

Setting a low bar to guarantee getting money is already a problem on Kickstarter, so setting it to something ludicrous like $10 feels disingenuous.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
And this is a model of generating revenue. Thanks.

Is literally no one else going to come into this thread and say that asking people to pay for something they want is okay? There's a tangible thing they're selling, 20 episodes of a podcast, and they're going to use this money to hire a dedicated audio guy to edit the episodes, so you're getting something of higher quality than "we turned on a microphone while we were in the room and here's what happened."

But it's not worth it if they do the Kickstarter and nobody wants to pay for it.

Wouldn't a donation page on their site have served the exact same purpose?

Jb

Doing podcasts doesn't cost the amount of money a company like PA (fuck, even the 8-4 guys do it for free, and they're not promoting a site or anything) can't self-finance in a heartbeat.

Haunted

Can I set up a Kickstarter with a $1 goal to help me keep posting on Gaf? With a new keyboard as a stretch goal? It's just free money, I'll always find enough people stupid enough to raise like 20 bucks
No "fund your life" projects on KS afaik. If you're in the US and can make a solid case for your GAF posts resulting in a tangible product, then yes, you can make that KS. Try it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Things cost money. Film at 11.
Turns out it doesn't:
cwgabriel said:
Of course were just talking about turning some microphones on here so we’re only asking for ten dollars. I’m really hoping we can hit the goal this week.

I guess it just comes down to ethics and if you have any. Do you know your brain damaged legions of fans will hurl money your way for you to just record a wav of your ramblings while making a weekly comment? Yes. Do you feel bad that money isn't instead going to startups that really need it, or heaven forbid, a real charity? Clearly not. Lets get some free monay!!!

Top Bottom