• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade launches Kickstarter for more podcasts (lol) [110K Funded]

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Tons and tons of podcasts solicit donations. No one sees that as a scam. This is the same.

LevityNYC

Banned
They only asked for 10

Things like this drive me crazy. With my job, I meet countless people in their 40's who don't have enough money to retire on, pay their mortgage, pay for their kids college. They need my help in the worst way to get their finances in order. Some are so under water that I can't do much for them.

Then, I meet people that are either in college or single in their early 30's. So many of them don't want my help and think they have all of their finances in order, yet you can see they will never have enough money to retire, or not be living simply paycheck to paycheck. Its not even as if they aren't earning enough money, its just that people waste SO much money on shit.

Obviously there is an entertainment part of everyone's budget, but holy hell paying for a group of rich people to fund a podcast? Wow.

itsgreen

$10 goal is just fucking slimy. It's them flat out saying that they don't need the money. They are just asking for fucking donations at this point.

They don't need the money, and they are. What's wrong with that?

You don't have to donate, I have, I want what is offered.

Enco

This thread proves that people will waste money on anything and so things like this will continue.

You want me to pay to make a free podcast? Sure! I love donating for garbage 'prizes'. At least I feel happy knowing I supported a good cause for something I enjoy!

1-D_FTW

And this is a model of generating revenue. Thanks.

Is literally no one else going to come into this thread and say that asking people to pay for something they want is okay? There's a tangible thing they're selling, 20 episodes of a podcast, and they're going to use this money to hire a dedicated audio guy to edit the episodes, so you're getting something of higher quality than "we turned on a microphone while we were in the room and here's what happened."

But it's not worth it if they do the Kickstarter and nobody wants to pay for it.

Wouldn't a simple Behringer sound board solve the issues of differing quality? A decent mixer and microphones would give you a professional sound. All of which have a definable value.

I'm just surprised you're defending this. Because it's not defensible. They're violating the entire spirit of Kickstarter here. It's not kickstartering a project that can't get funded via traditional means. They know they have an emotionally stunted fanbase and by not setting a goal, they're going to exploit them for every single penny they can shake free.

Avallon

Ok after reading the rewards, I think this Kickstarter is just a commentary on how out of hand Kickstarter has become. I don't think ANY money will exchange hands. If it does, it will go to charity.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I already have a HUGE problem with stretch goals being against the spirit of kickstarter, but damn. A 10$ minimum and only stretch goals? That's grossly cynical.

So if kickstarting podcasts isn't new, and charging for podcasts isn't new, what am I supposed to be ticked off at, exactly?

apparently rich people can never ask for money for anything. I guess. only folks without independent wealth should be allowed to use kickstarter because I AM THE 99% PERCENT.

or something.

I kickstart projects I like the look of. I give money to charities I like. I am not rich. I won't kickstart this, but I see no problem at all with kickstarter as a service, or the people who choose to patronise the things on it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Start a Kickstarter for something you don't need a whole lot of money to do and set an incredibly low bar so you're guaranteed to get money. How isn't this a scam?

How does a low bar of $10 guarantee they'll get more than $10? If they are getting more than $10 it's because the backers want the rewards or just want to support the thing in general. Who's being scammed?

Valnen

They're exploiting idiot fans. Exploiting people is for scumbags.

This isn't any different than having a donate button. This just happens to advertise the podcast they want to set up and get some donations while they're at it. There's nothing wrong with this. Their fans are giving them money because they want to. Nothing wrong with that at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
From wikipedia:

I don't see how this is a big deal.

I've met the guys on multiple occasions. They are pretty damn rich (unless they somehow lost it all in the last couple of years).

That doesn't even really matter, though. If they want donations, how about they ask for it on their own site? Why are the using Kickstarter? Kickstarter is for, you know, to get a project kick started.

The fact that they have a $10 goal means they just can't be arsed to budget this thing and are just trying to get as much money as they can.

sibarraz

Banned
you know what, I don't care, if there are people stupid enough to donate money in this sort of campaign, I'm glad for them, they must had so much money that they coud burn it

Ok after reading the rewards, I think this Kickstarter is just a commentary on how out of hand Kickstarter has become. I don't think ANY money will exchange hands. If it does, it will go to charity.

I think this is where I'm going to settle and leave this subject alone.
Maybe I'll be surprised in 3 weeks.

I'm pretty sure Kickstarter was not meant to be a general purpose donate button, but whatever.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
If I started a kickstarter for my education, would GAF subsidize me?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
No? They give a real budget, say what the money is used for, and say that they'll hopefully never need to use kickstarter again once they get revenue from the business. They're not doing a podcast for a hugely successful business that can already easily pay for it and write it off as a business expense.

Why should they write it off as an expense when they can earn money for producing desirable content? Why do they owe anyone a free podcast in addition to a free webcomic? Why are they not allowed to pursue a profitable endeavor via an avenue that will allow it?

inm8num2

Hah they supported Susan Wilson's kickstarter and accused the internet of being an angry mob for not falling under Scam Susan's two bit con.

This doesn't surprise me.

Somewhere a shark has been jumped over.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Definitely not a scam, as there is no deception/coercion involved. It's just kind of... silly? Dumb? Can't say I really think much of it one way or the other; if it's something people actually want to to throw their money at for whatever reason than that's their prerogative.

I will remain comforted by the knowledge that my kickstarter moneys go solely to things that actually take money to produce, like video games and motion pictures.

megalowho

That's what folks said about the last one, the one with "we'll chase a duck and say your name" as a reward. Pretty sure its for real.

The $10 goal is a bad joke, just use a different service if you want all the money or actually work out the operating costs and be up front about it to your fans/donors.

knkng

Everyone was OK with the Double Fine Kickstarter, so I really don't see how this is any different.

Well, they were trying to make a game via circumventing publisher funding. People who donate would also get a copy of the game. This is a little different.

Anyways, I feel like they are trying to prove a point here, or maybe doing their own little social experiment, and will just end up donating or returning the money. At least I hope so.

Adam Blue

Well, PA has produced quality content for years. They are professionals and this is a way to gauge the interest of the podcast.

Also, I think they know how much of a joke Kickstarter has become, and are taking advantage of it. I think that's fine - it's the system being taken advantage of, not the backers.

Susan Wilson's had little if any history to backup her product. PA on the other hand is a brand. I won't back it because I don't feel like spending my money on that, but I do spend ridiculous amounts of money on shooting game gashapons from Japan, because I know what I'm getting and it's a love of mine. That's the kind of product PA is offering, and taking a jab at Kickstarter at the same time. I approve.

Wow, this is pretty disgusting, but gamers have become acclimated to throwing their money at all sorts of disgusting projects. I'd like to think projects like this would be the tipping point, but I'm sure that we're not even close to the bottom of the barrel yet. I had a feeling that these guys were complete assholes, and I'm glad to see confirmation of that thought.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Why would any of us give a shit about your education? What's in it for us?

(Serious answer, "fund my life" is not a permissible Kickstarter project.)

Awww. T_T

Do I get 20 top quality podcast I know I want to hear in return? Sure.

This for me is just buying the podcasts I wan't to listen to and supporting PA.

You get quality deranged humor (unlike regular deranged humor), and critical analyses of every game related thing you wish. You pick my subjects >:)

It's not a scam or slimy at all. No one put a gun to the fans and said, "You have to fund this KS". If the fans want to throw their money away, then by all means let 'em do so.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Definitely not a scam, as there is no deception/coercion involved. It's just kind of... silly? Dumb? Can't say I really think much of it one way or the other; if it's something people actually want to to throw their money at for whatever reason than that's their prerogative.

I will remain comforted by the knowledge that my kickstarter moneys go solely to things that actually take money to produce, like video games and motion pictures.

Things aren't worth money simply because they cost money to produce. They are also worth money because they cost someone's time, or they are desirable and the market will support their existence.

If people want a podcast from these guys and it takes their time to create it, time they could be spending doing work to earn money, then the podcast itself is worth money (to someone).

Top Bottom