• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade launches Kickstarter for more podcasts (lol) [110K Funded]

Joni

After the Susan Wilson debacle I can't say I object to people trying this. The faster Kickstarter fails, the faster we can get something better.

Burger

For people getting upset that it isn't actually kick starting anything, you guys sure don't seem to understand how the pledges system works. There isn't a 1:1 money:reward ratio. If you do that it would be stupid since it's highly inefficient.

So my $100 poster isn't actually worth that?!?! Shit.

daveo42

Banned
What is scummy about this?

The kickstarter isn't scummy, it's the tactic being used. PA knows that they could pretty much get anything paid for if they want through crowd funding. They carry a really popular and well known brand. It's scummy to use their brand to get people to pay for something like a podcast, which (as others have pointed out) doesn't cost all that much to create and produce.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Can the fans of this justify the $10 goal?

It's quite clearly there because they don't really give a shit and just want as much money as possible.

Can you explain how the $10 goal as opposed to a $10,000 goal affects the total haul from this KS?

Like, if it said 10,000, do you think people would be less likely to donate?

What's the mechanism by which the $10 goal is trickery but a $10,000 goal isn't?

This is a serious question because I acknowledge that I might not be seeing something that other people are.

JABEE

And Penny Arcade already went to this well before. No wonder PA was supportive of Susan Wilson's KS, they had their own con ready to deployed after how successful their last revenue adjustment strategy was last time. PA should be ashamed of themselves. Shameless leeches that prey on the goodwill of their fans.

Mastperf

It's like the episode of South Park where Stan's grandpa keeps spending his life savings on shitty jewelry from the home shopping channel.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Some people on this thread are really missing out on some value. You know you can get a poster for just $45 and a pin for just an additional $50?

Gannd

Banned
Since the community is funding this I think Penny Arcade should release their financial statements. Let's see if they really cannot afford to host a podcast or if this is just a money grab. If they want to take money directly from the community as a handout I think the community should be fully aware how much money the company is making. Will people "donate" money when they know that Penny Arcade is very profitable. But, they won't do that because they don't need to. Guys like Kohler will excuse anything they do and downplay any criticism because people like that are intellectually lazy and dishonest.

It's really tacky. There is nothing "wrong" with them taking money from people who want to give it freely to them but it is tacky.

snorggy

This is a gross exploitation of their fanbase.

If I had loyal fans that let me live my dream, I would throw them a bone... not try to wring them of every penny.

Valnen

The kickstarter isn't scummy, it's the tactic being used. PA knows that they could pretty much get anything paid for if they want through crowd funding. They carry a really popular and well known brand. It's scummy to use their brand to get people to pay for something like a podcast, which (as others have pointed out) doesn't cost all that much to create and produce.

There's nothing scummy about it. People aren't being forced to pay anything to this kickstarter.

How many times does it have to be reiterated in Kickstarter threads that people aren't forced to back projects, because I've never seen anyone argue to the contrary.

itsgreen

The initial goal is 10$

The stretch goal is 20.000$ and people get a song.

Did they need 19.990$ to make a song?

As far as we know, they won't even need half of that for the equipment they're saying. Kicktsarted is not an store, if they want to produce a podcast and sell them to their fans they should do it on their own.

So the scummy part is they aren't actually kick starting it, and are actually using it as a public form of donation. I don't really call that scummy. You and me have quite different ideas of things being scummy.

Nobody is hurt. People who want it can easily join. People who don't don't have to. The money is going to PA, a website I like and gladly support. I am getting a product I want in return.

If you are saying this isn't what kickstarter was intended for, I agree. But nobody is getting hurt here. Who loses?

JABEE

Because they're not tricking anyone into anything.

They're just using their already accumulated exposure to brute force their way to extra money. Setting a $10 goal is a scammer's amount that is only approved because of their name. No one else would be able to get away with this. Just as they got away with running their KS to adjust their business model.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

In other words, they know they can sell their content directly to their fans. Why is it wrong to do that? This is the purest form of market pricing. They offer something, people pay if they want it. Apparently a podcast is worth $10,000 to their fans, irrespective of the cost of production.

Neiteio

The problem isnt with the people donating...its with PA for doing it.
PA's doing nothing wrong. PA made their offer. You're free to like it. You're free to hate it. You're free to fund it. You're free to NOT fund it. You know what you're getting, because they told you. You want it, you pay for it, however much you see fit. You don't want it, you don't pay for it, you walk away. No one is forcing anyone to donate. People can Kickstart whatever they want, because no one is forcing anyone to donate.

Curufinwe

Why would any of us give a shit about your education? What's in it for us?

(Serious answer, "fund my life" is not a permissible Kickstarter project.)

Funding for general business expenses wasn't supposed to be allowed under their guidelines, but they let the first PA kickstarter happen anyway.

Alec

Pffttt, hahaha. This is not a big deal.

I wonder what you guys will be outraged about tomorrow?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
They're just using their already accumulated exposure to brute force their way to extra money. Setting a $10 goal is a scammer's amount that is only approved because of their name. No one else would be able to get away with this. Just as they got away with running their KS to adjust their business model.

What does this mean?

Who are these imaginary donors who feel irresistibly compelled to give them money even though they don't want the product.

Ferrio

Banned
There's nothing scummy about it. People aren't being forced to pay anything to this kickstarter.

So whenever people are scammed money or taken advantage of outside of kickstarter we ignore it? No we don't. Yes people are willingly giving their money to them, but people williningly give money to nigerian scammers and all sorts of stuff, but they're still dealt with.

itsgreen

What's scummy about the tactic. It doesn't cost them much to record it, it doesn't even cost them much time.

But why not sell that? And basically saying: we are going to do this, we know you guys like this. Feel free to pay for it what you want. What is scummy about saying: "Pay for this product what you want."

This is a piss-take. I've done a 2-hour (music) podcast with my friend every fortnight for the last 6 years for free, without sponsorship.

Garnett and his crew (and thousands of other podcasts) have put together consistent and regular podcasts on a shoestring with sponsorship.

The PA podcast will be promoting the brand and the site. That's the whole point in free podcasts - to get people talking about your stuff. It most certainly doesn't need a Kickstarter.

The sad thing is that this will only be exploiting their biggest fans.

Enco

Can you explain how the $10 goal as opposed to a $10,000 goal affects the total haul from this KS?

What's the mechanism by which the $10 goal is trickery but a $10,000 goal isn't?

This is a serious question because I acknowledge that I might not be seeing something that other people are.
The same people would probably still donate.

The concept of making it $10 shows that they have no real plan. Yea we kinda want audio stuff and an audio guy. That's the extent of it. Are you really going to use $10 for audio stuff and a sound guy? The lack of care and planning is kind of telling.

They only get the money if their goal is passed. They made it low because they KNEW it would pass no matter what. A realistic goal may not pass. They just want money and don't care about any real plan or goal. At least show some interest in the thing you want people to support.

They really don't need the money.

This isn't a scam. It's just a douchey way to get money for nothing.

Will you guys kickstart me to start drawing pictures? I need some paper and paints and stuff. $0.50 ty

PA's doing nothing wrong. PA made their offer. You're free to feel it's shit. You're free to fund it. And you're free to NOT fund it. You know what you're getting, because they told you. You want it, you pay for it, however much you see fit. You don't want it, you don't pay for it. No one is forcing anyone to donate. People can Kickstart whatever they want, because no one is forcing anyone to donate.

Hold on.

You're telling me people can make a choice about whether to donate or not?

The way it is set up they're simply selling subscriptions to their podcast. This is not what kickstarter is for.

They know there's interest in their podcast (see the goal) and probably have enough money to invest and sell the podcast later. Why not do it this way and leave the kickstarter platform to people who have no other means of funding their projects?

So the scummy part is they aren't actually kick starting it, and are actually using it as a public form of donation. I don't really call that scummy. You and me have quite different ideas of things being scummy.

Nobody is hurt. People who want it can easily join. People who don't don't have to. The money is going to PA, a website I like and gladly support. I am getting a product I want in return.

If you are saying this isn't what kickstarter was intended for, I agree. But nobody is getting hurt here. Who loses?

Kickstarter gets hurts since the real meaning behind it is getting diluted with projects like these. Is not a scam, but is a sad way to use Kickstarter and defets it's purpose.

Ferrio

Banned
No, obviously not. But nobody is being scammed here, that's the point. There is no scam happening here. Period.

They're being taken advantage of. And someone like PA who should be a good ethical example of the gaming community doing it is disgusting.

codhand

Except not, no one is being scammed. They chose to donate for the kickstarter.

the scam aspect to me is that it implies the money is needed for the podcast when it isn't, the scam isnt whether people donate willingly or not. but rather it's in the representation on the part of PA as to what it means to "need" the money.

they are misleading fans, in order to raise money for themselves, if 90% of donations are from people who recognize this, then so be it, 10% might be just trying to help in earnest. and those 10% are being deliberately mislead, regarding the costs associated with a podcast. the other 90% have a bad sense of humor and art.

So whenever people are scammed money or taken advantage of outside of kickstarter we ignore it? No we don't. Yes people are willingly giving their money to them, but people williningly give money to nigerian scammers and all sorts of stuff, but they're still dealt with.

The difference, of course, is that those scammers actively seek to deceive people. The Kickstarter here does not, it's just saying 'I want money, please give me money,' and people are saying 'okay.'

I could be wrong... but considering some of their charity work... their railing against scum like that "Mayor of Boston" guy.... etc... I imagine this will be revealed to be some kind of performance art... I'm guessing the funds will go to charity, or be offered as refunds, and likely coincide with articles/editorials on the insane nature of crowd-sourcing.

At least, that is what I would do if I was them, and wanted to be avante-garde. If i'm wrong.... holy fuck-balls is this shady non-sense.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Your argument assumes this KS is a scam just like Nigerian emails, and that's precisely the point that's being debated. So you have made no headway for your position.

Valnen

Agreed. It's disgusting how they take advantage of people with horrible decision making skills.

They're not taking advantage of anyone. It's pathetic that the only thing you can think to do is insult the people who want to give them money. It's none of your business what people want to spend their money on.

You can donate if you want them to have your money or you can choose not to. You have no reason to be upset.

I can be upset if I damn well please. This whole "Just don't donate then" argument is a fallacy. That doesn't suddenly make it right or mean we can't sit on GAF and rightly rip this hypocritical and unbelievably greedy abuse of Kickstarter to shreds.

Why do you think it's alright for people who basically don't know any better to be screwed over?

Its modest because they don't want the project to "fail" i.e. keep all the money without any cancellation.

Bingo. Now it's over the goal there are restrictions for people backing out.

1. 10 bucks is saying they actually don't need any money to do this podcast at all. They just want money.

2. 10,000 would make sense on some levels given there's a 10,000 reward tier basically offering you Jack and Shit for the privilege.

3. A lower goal ensures the
money making
project can't fail.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Because podcasting isn't cheap.

Yes it is. The Player One Podcast has been going for 300+ episodes and is recorded by 4 guys in different corners talking into cheap crappy mics. Audio quality is excellent and the show has been consistently entertaining for a very long time now. You don't need ridiculous amounts of KS money to put on a podcast. P1P is the shining example of this.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I question the value of it, so I'll be ignoring it. If you feel the same, feel free to do the same.

It reminds me when the CEO of Kickstarter had a kickstarter looking for 12 dollars so he could have internet access on a flight and you could have the opportunity to talk to him during the flight.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/perry/video-chat-at-35000-feet?ref=users

It's not like odd things are unreasonable. But knowing what PA is and only asking for 10 is kind of sleazy. It would cost way more than 10 dollars to produce if there was only one person backing that.

Ferrio

Banned
The difference, of course, is that those scammers actively seek to deceive people. The Kickstarter here does not, it's just saying 'I want money, please give me money,' and people are saying 'okay.'

Who says they aren't deceiving them? We have no proof. Who's to say this isn't something they were already going to do, or something they would of done without a kickstarter? But fuck it people will pay so put it up. That's being taken advantage of.

Top Bottom