• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade launches Kickstarter for more podcasts (lol) [110K Funded]

daveo42

Banned
There's nothing scummy about it. People aren't being forced to pay anything to this kickstarter.

No one is being forced to pay anything, but their fanbase will essentially support anything they put out and they know it. That's the scummy thing about it. Knowing your fanbase and then abusing that knowledge for gain.

someday

Banned
Well, I wasn't bothered by the Susan thing and I'm not bothered by this one. Ultimately, it's up to the people who choose to fund these projects. It's just that simple. I don't want the podcast and I'm not giving it any money.

They're not taking advantage of anyone. It's pathetic that the only thing you can think to do is insult the people who want to give them money. It's none of your business what people want to spend their money on.

If a telemarketer is trying to rip off my grandmother, I wouldn't sit back and ignore it.

itsgreen

Kickstarter gets hurts since the real meaning behind it is getting diluted with projects like these. Is not a scam, but is a sad way to use Kickstarter and defets it's purpose.

That's fair.

But that doesn't make PA scummy, or the thing they are selling. That makes KS crappy for allowing it.

PA is clear and open: we are going to do this, we know you like it, you can pay whatever you want for it, you don't have to, proceeds go to the company.

There isn't anything scummy about that, it's just that it isn't what kickstarter was intended for. But it isn't scummy. They aren't deceiving anyone. They aren't misleading anyone.

Rubius

Millionaires?

They have the most successful Internet comic
They have three massive convention
They have posters, T-Shirts, Books, and ect
They have video games based on them.

So it would be good to assume they have at least 1 million each.

itsgreen

No one is being forced to pay anything, but their fanbase will essentially support anything they put out and they know it. That's the scummy thing about it. Knowing your fanbase and then abusing that knowledge for gain.

Yeah it really is scummy they have loyal fans and ask them to pay whatever you think this is worth.

JABEE

What does this mean?

Who are these imaginary donors who feel irresistibly compelled to give them money even though they don't want the product.

They are taking donations has a company that is already making plenty of money. They know that there are going to be devoted fans that will donate to whatever they do. They are using their reach and influence to bend KS's rules as they have done before and solicit donations.

It may not be illegal, but I think it's a pretty shitty thing to do.

Ferrio

Banned
Why do you assume they don't know any better?

Because the fans have presumably read this. If you're willing to donate to a project that's actively doing the same god damn thing a comic written by them is lampooning, it means you have no sense.
i-FKNNKxh-950x10000.jpg

The inherent purpose of a Kickstarter is to define the boundaries of a project and see it delivered when said boundaries are funded.

Because PA aren't setting up any kind of minimum boundaries, their promise / ability to fulfill the project is completely up in the air.

This is a complete subversion of everything Kickstarter stands for, and like the Susan Wilson Kickstarter, this should be shut down.

Orca

Kickstarter gets hurts since the real meaning behind it is getting diluted with projects like these. Is not a scam, but is a sad way to use Kickstarter and defets it's purpose.

How is this diluting Kickstarter any more than any of the other 'we could make a product if you want it and fund it' projects like...well, pretty much any Kickstarter ever?

Saying 'they could do it without Kickstarter' is really no more applicable than it is for every other project on Kickstarter. Kickstarter doesn't give a shit, why should we?

The thing that seems wrong is the $10 goal. Shouldn't they have the necessary costs all budgeted out and everything? With a $10 goal it just seems like they're asking for money.

iammeiam

They seem to indicate they wanted the 10K to purchase audio equipment and hire somebody to be a dedicated audio guy for the project--10K doesn't seem that extreme.

Yes, they're PA. Yes, they could likely siphon funds from another part of the business to fund this. They're clearly using Kickstarter as a way to fund the project without eating into everything else in the PA machine. But they never claim to be destitute and in need of KS funds for survival--just "Hey, we'll do this thing if you guys want it bad enough to pay for it." So... Not seeing the scam. But then, I've backed the Double Fine/Project Eternity/Torment Kickstarters, too, which were all businesses trying to get fans to put up the funds so a project wouldn't eat into the rest of their business. PAs needs are lower, but so is their funding goal.

Who says they aren't deceiving them? We have no proof. Who's to say this isn't something they were already going to do, or something they would of done without a kickstarter? But fuck it people will pay so put it up. That's being taken advantage of.

But they never said that they weren't going to do this without the kickstarter. They did say they wanted some new audio equipment and to hire a guy to edit the stuff for them, and that's about it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The same people would probably still donate.

The concept of making it $10 shows that they have no real plan. Yea we kinda want audio stuff and an audio guy. That's the extent of it. Are you really going to use $10 for audio stuff and a sound guy? The lack of care and planning is kind of telling.

They only get the money if their goal is passed. They made it low because they KNEW it would pass no matter what. A realistic goal may not pass. They just want money and don't care about any real plan or goal. At least show some interest in the thing you want people to support.

They really don't need the money.

This isn't a scam. It's just a douchey way to get money for nothing.

Will you guys kickstart me to start drawing pictures? I need some paper and paints and stuff. $0.50 ty

I agree that they don't need the money. But they are still free to ask for it just as we are free to not pay it.

I agree that they don't lay out a clear plan. But that is evident to anyone reading the KS and they are free not to contribute.

If you could persuade anyone that they want the pictures you produce, then maybe you could get kickstarted. I don't know why you'd equate your personal hobby with a product they want to distribute widely.

Karak

The inherent purpose of a Kickstarter is to define the boundaries of a project and see it delivered when said boundaries are funded.

Because PA aren't setting up any kind of minimum boundaries, their promise / ability to fulfill the project is completely up in the air.

This is a complete subversion of everything Kickstarter stands for, and like the Susan Wilson Kickstarter, should be shut down.

I can see that feeling. From the looks of other KS forums this is getting a serious pounding and people trying to report it to KS(I don't think they will stop it or anything). I do find it strange that a couple of their rewards are the same ones other KS's have been asked to go fix(clarify) before going live. But they got to go live. I always find it odd how some companies are treated within the KS structure.

Elija2

$10 goal
$10,000 reward tier
$20,000 stretch goal of a theme song

For a 20 episode podcast. And I thought their first Kickstarter was scummy.

I don't get the theme song thing... why not just go to their huge community and hold a contest for the theme song, users can submit their own original content and the prize is you get your song as the podcast intro.

JABEE

The way it is set up they're simply selling subscriptions to their podcast. This is not what kickstarter is for.

They know there's interest in their podcast (see the goal) and probably have enough money to invest and sell the podcast later. Why not do it this way and leave the kickstarter platform to people who have no other means of funding their projects?

Because Free Money is better than working to generate enough capital to do what you want to do. PA is big enough now that they don't have to worry about the ill will that they will receive from pulling off these tactics.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Are people saying "its only 10!!" lobotomized? It's part of what makes this so gross. Setting the goal low so: a) they have no goal to miss and possibly lose out on getting the funds b) turn the entire thing into a stretch goal ratrace c) have a "but we only asked for 10!" fallback argument that you clowns are carrying out for them is pretty scummy.

Vamphuntr

Embarassing.

And to only ask for a 10$ goal is basically making sure they take all the money no matter how much they get. It's also kind of exploiting the system. You don't need 10 bucks if you had access to internet in the first place (hell they have a website, a web comic and gaming conventions).

I understand now why they were supportive of that RPG camp lady scam.

ultron87

If they just offered "give us ten bucks for 20 episodes of the podcast" on their store I'd actually consider it. I enjoyed their first run quite a bit, so 50 cents an episode sounds reasonable. But it being on this kind of Kickstarter makes it less appealing.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Yeah it really is scummy they have loyal fans and ask them to pay whatever you think this is worth.

You've been throwing A LOT of smoke and mirrors in this thread. The bolded can be done quite easily without the need for Kickstarter or Indiegogo.

So explain to me the NEED for this project again.

As i'm trying to understand it, they could have easily put a donation button on their site, made a short vid and banked on the goodwill and loyalty of their fans.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Because the fans have presumably read this. If you're willing to donate to a project that's actively doing the same god damn thing a comic written by them is lampooning, it means you have no sense.
Untitled-3_zps970a1fc9.png

Oh man the fact this comic has a 10 dollar goal and is also currently at 13,000 is hilarious you can't make this up, I wonder if anyone who read this actually donated.

Ferrio

Banned
But they never said that they weren't going to do this without the kickstarter. They did say they wanted some new audio equipment and to hire a guy to edit the stuff for them, and that's about it.

They're a massive entity now, you don't think they could of done that without a kickstarter? It's bullshit plain a simple. Kickstarters are for people who are unable to find the funds to startup their buisness. This buisness is well past that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
They are taking donations has a company that is already making plenty of money. They know that there are going to be devoted fans that will donate to whatever they do. They are using their reach and influence to bend KS's rules as they have done before and solicit donations.

It may not be illegal, but I think it's a pretty shitty thing to do.

You're dehumanizing and homogenizing their fans. Are you a big fan of anything? If you are, would you willingly pay money for something related to your fandom? Should people second-guess your autonomy when you make that choice?

daveo42

Banned

For a podcast that costs next to nothing to produce. That are pretty much offered to consumers for free from a million and one different people and sites.

A podcast...I could probably make a concession if it was something like PATV, but for a podcast, why even have a kickstarter when all it's really cost them is a small bit of time each week.

Top Bottom