• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB XIII: UK trailer up -> starter evolutions, Mega Garchomp and more

JoeM86

Damnit. I need a 3ds.

I haven't been following this game much. But Garchomp and Mewtwo evolve? WTF they were already super strong lol.

The process of Mega Evolutions is pretty cool. You give them a specific hold item and they will Mega Evolve. It involves changes in stats & abilities, as well as type changes

Mega Mewtwo X - Mega Mewtwo Y (Mega Mewtwo X is Psychic/Fighting. Each is exclusive to their respective game through the exclusive items Mewtwonite X and Mewtwonite Y)
mewtwox.png
mewtwo.png

Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard, Mega Blastoise
venusaur.png
charizard.png
blastoise.png

Mega Lucario
megalucario.png

Mega Blaziken
megablaziken.png

Mega Ampharos (Electric/Dragon)
megaampharos.png

Mega Absol
megaabsol.png

Mega Mawile (Steel/Fairy, but so is Mawile now)
megamawile.png

Mega Kangaskhan
megakangaskhan.jpg

I've only caught on now that Sableye is no longer the "No weakness" bad ass that he once was. Still one of my favourite despite how pants it is. Expecting the mega to be pretty cool.

Espada

Steel on its own still resists/immune more than half of the typings in the game even post-nerf.

Which is perfect for a defensive type. I have no problems with Steel losing resistances as long as it gets types it's SE against. It's only fair to have a 1:1 change rather than the 2:1 BS GameFreak pulled with Gen 6.

Which is perfect for a defensive type. I have no problems with Steel losing resistances as long as it gets types it's SE against. It's only fair to have a 1:1 change rather than the 2:1 BS GameFreak pulled with Gen 6.

Thing is, now with another (more useful) SE, having 11 resists and an immunity is too much for what was pretty much to this point an entirely defensive type bolt-on. Very few Steel Pokes even bothered with Steel moves, even Bullet Punch or Flash Cannon, unless there was alot of tumblers aligning to make those moves work enough to compete. For every other X/Steel Poke, it's there for boucoup resists, an immunity, and poison/toxic status immunity...ie, free bulk.

Hell, even its three weaknesses are common and powerful attack types.

Espada

Thing is, now with another (more useful) SE, having 11 resists and an immunity is too much for what was pretty much to this point an entirely defensive type bolt-on. Very few Steel Pokes even bothered with Steel moves, even Bullet Punch or Flash Cannon, unless there was alot of tumblers aligning to make those moves work enough to compete. For every other X/Steel Poke, it's there for boucoup resists, an immunity, and poison/toxic status immunity...ie, free bulk.

Hell, even its three weaknesses are common and powerful attack types.

Which makes the Steel nerf even more mystifying. They already have pretty brutal checks, making this latest change unnecessary. This isn't going to encourage more steel type move use (we're more likely to see an increase in fire type moves), especially if the move selection remains as poor as it is. Steel is still a defensive type, without the sheer power backing Fighting or Dragon type moves Fairy doesn't have much to fear from them. Their SEs overlap with better offensive typings like Fighting or Fire.

The 11 resists + immunity were there to justify using Steel in the face of the ubiquitous Earthquake, hard hitting fighting types, and fire type moves that a ton of pokemon have access to.

ryan13ts

Do we even have an official English name yet? I don't think they've mentioned it outside of Japan at all.

I don't think it's even been acknowledged as existing yet outside of Japan, much less gotten a name yet. There's still barely any information regarding in from Japanese sources either, outside of his obvious appearance in the e-shop trailer.

Speaking of which, what is everyone's guess to what Type he is? If I had to say just based on appearance, I'd go with Grass/Ghost although appearances can be deceptive. After all, back in the day, on first sight I swore Sudowoodo was a grass type as well :\

Toxi

Banned
Steel fans are QQing about losing two rarely used resistances in exhange for a new resistance and another type weak to Steel.

Meanwhile, Ice and Bug types still suck and got no buffs, with Bug types getting a new type that resists them and Ice types having to deal with a Fire buff.

GamerSoul

:eek:

I can't...I can't decide which starter to use. I love Chespin but they all have the potential to have amazing final evos. This is the first time I haven't been able to choose a starter...

The process of Mega Evolutions is pretty cool. You give them a specific hold item and they will Mega Evolve. It involves changes in stats & abilities, as well as type changes

Mega Mewtwo X - Mega Mewtwo Y (Mega Mewtwo X is Psychic/Fighting. Each is exclusive to their respective game through the exclusive items Mewtwonite X and Mewtwonite Y)

Woah. That is so fuckin' cool! I had my doubts about the idea, but that's awesome. Can one have multiple holds items for multiple mega Pokemon in your party?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You can only have one mega mon per battle. I guess you can have everyone wield stones but only have one activate in a fight.

TrickRoom

Steel fans are QQing about losing two rarely used resistances in exhange for a new resistance and another type weak to Steel.

Meanwhile, Ice and Bug types still suck and got no buffs, with Bug types getting a new type that resists them and Ice types having to deal with a Fire buff.

Look on the bright side, everyone is still going to spam ice beam on their movesets even when Pokemon of the type don't really come around.

trixx

Totally off topic sorta but i just beat the elite 4 for black 2. Seriously why did they make it so easy? I only used 1 revive and like 3 super potions, i beat the ghost lady whithout taking damage. I remember in Emerald i used like 8 revives and had to heal after every round

I hope they make it harder in X and Y

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
those pokebleach rumors that turned out to be true, was there any mention about mewtwo being back in smash?

Elfteiroh

those pokebleach rumors that turned out to be true, was there any mention about mewtwo being back in smash?

No, that was a tester for the game I think, so really, just info on the game. Also, he got some things wrong (like the second mega mewtwo looking nothing like mew and psychic not resisting fairy after all, but to be fair, that last point could have been changed later on as this was during testing after all)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
No, that was a tester for the game I think, so really, just info on the game. Also, he got some things wrong (like the second mega mewtwo looking nothing like mew and psychic not resisting fairy after all, but to be fair, that last point could have been changed later on as this was during testing after all)

thanks

Top Bottom