• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
YES.

Obama runs for Speaker. Gets elected in a landslide.

Hilldawg immediately resigns the presidency.

Tim Kaine resigns the vice presidency.

4 MORE YEARS

Out of curiosity, would this be legal to do? Since he wouldn't technically be elected for a 3rd term, just serving out a remaining term.

Something about Iowa I hadn't considered. Trump was there so so so much leading up to the GOP primary. His campaign message then is essentially the same as it is now (just replace Hillary with primary people again) with the whole circus act deal. That was, effectively, hundreds of hours and umpteen millions of dollars in exposure that he enjoyed specifically because he was Donald Trump. Those were, effectively, a bunch of GE events. If Hillary or whoever the D candidate was had spent months straight in Iowa with wall-to-wall coverage dominating the media I'd bet she'd be doing better there. But they've seen Trump's face sooooooooo much, anyone with even vaguely sympathetic ideology will be behind him now.

Not meaning to dismiss the other factors that have come up and specifically the non-college whites shift, but this is something of a one-off situation. Trump being Trump is worth a few points, as is Hillary being Hillary costing her a few.

wutwutwut

Poligaf fantasy time.
ArrQSZP.png

don't shoot me

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Are any channels gonna have nate silver on for their election day coverage? Kinda wanna see him pull a Karl Rove.

Ecotic

Out of curiosity, would this be legal to do? Since he wouldn't technically be elected for a 3rd term, just serving out a remaining term.

It's unknown for sure if a 2 term President can 'assume' the Presidency for more terms instead of being elected to additional terms.

We've had this discussion a number of times here and it always devolves into a very nasty fight over the precise wording.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Sigh, I just way to much time arguing with a Trump support about Democrats are for big government. He's Latino and a police officer.....

kirblar

It will be close all night and the believers hearts will be broken when Little Marco wins by less than 2%.

Don't fall for it.
The question is really the margins in the newbie voters. Are they still close in that race like the others, or are they going straight D?

Armaros

Nope, the line of succession would skip Obama.

Currently the only way to serve more then 8 years to do be vice president when a president steps down or dies but the remaining term is less them 2 years. The person can still run and serve two full terms in office

why is it stupid?

i mean, I think he can do more for the party without any kind of job obligations, but as a fun thought experiment, i wouldn't mind having more elected officials on the court.
Particularly as a Minnesotan I wouldn't mind seeing Amy Klobuchar appointed to the Supreme Court.

And Keith Ellison filling in her Senate seat.

Funny thing is that he would probably win (I feel) in a Trump-Jeb situation or Jeb-Hillary.

But the viciousness of the primaries and arrow's impossibility theorem :)

What states does Jeb pick from Hillary, though?

"Working class" (IE, poor, uneducated white people) wouldn't flock to him as much as they are to Trump. Hillary would probably pick up some white women from Jeb as well, although Hispanic turnout would probably be a lot lower than this year.

States like Florida wouldn't be a slam dunk. But NC would still be in play. Ohio would likely not be as big of a tossup and Iowa would still be in play for Hillary.

It'd probably look a bit like this

And I think even that's being generous to Jeb (red Nevada for example)

Jeb would have to grab some other random blue state from this, since the NC GOP messed up so badly this year.

Hell, take NC from her and she still wins this map

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Will Hillary's event with the Obamas be televised tomorrow? That's all I want to see. What time?

Do people not realize how stupid this Obama Supreme Court shit is?

You're keeping the most effective surrogate we could possibly have out of campaigning when he has decades left to give.

why can't the guy have a nice retirement as a Judge?

dude worked hard for 8 years he is an old man aged by stress

Michelle can run for a seat

Boke1879

why can't the guy have a nice retirement as a Judge?

dude worked hard for 8 years he is an old man aged by stress

Michelle can run for a seat

Nah and I don't think even Obama would want that. Remember he was a community organizer.

This man was made for this. Plus we want him giving speeches at the DNC for as long as he is willing.

Zukkoyaki

This isn't a sarcastic question at all, but I've been wondering if Obama is going to be the Democratic Party's Ronald Reagan? And by that I mean seen as the gold standard for the party and idolized for decades. On an objective level he has been a phenomenal president and he is extremely popular for an outgoing president.

This isn't a sarcastic question at all, but I've been wondering if Obama is going to be the Democratic Party's Ronald Reagan? And by that I mean seen as the gold standard for the party and idolized for decades. On an objective level he has been a phenomenal president and he is extremely popular for an outgoing president.

Absolutely

A bonus though, is that Obama is young and healthy and ready to work for Democrats for 30+ more years.

nevermind I thought you were talking about Reagan.

HylianTom

Banned
Every time Kornacki stands in front of the map and talks about the GOP needing to flip an expected state or two in order to squeak-by 270, I say to myself, "didn't we hear this 4 years ago? And 8 years ago?"

I hope that in four years, I experience this deja vu yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom