• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells 134,000 units in Spain; The One fastest selling console called The One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramuh

Wondering why Thread about PS4 units selling in Spain kept getting bumped up. This thread is a pleasant surprise and I'm entertained.

NastyBook

vFzuFNl.jpg
What are you trying to tell me? That I can render 1080p?

gDdOce7.jpg
No, Xbox. I'm trying to tell you that when your scaler's ready, you won't have to.
You even managed to make a "Trinity" by having all three people within your post wearing shades. Well played.

onanie

Oh dear I come back and see Tommy having a completely different username
Saw this for the first time usually it is just a tag lol
Wonder if he would have to sign in with the new user too :p

LOL would be a hassle especially logging in from a different computer.

onanie

The One and Done™;94701511 said:
Hmm. Ok I'm not a poor sport. Let's change the wager then. Instead of a week ban I would have to keep this new moniker for the entirety of this generation if The One is behind the PS4 in December NPD.

I don't think you get The It.

@Tsundere LOL

Pain

Banned
You guys think the 360 will sell well this holiday again? I haven't been a Best Buy for a while, but the one I went to earlier had a like 30 4GB Xbox 360's lined up infront of the register counter on the floor. All the way to the right next to the Xbox 360's at the end, I saw just 12 GB PS3's...

I found this pretty interesting. I don't know if they did have more PS3 out there and it was more even in count before, but I almost didn't even see the PS3's there so I'm wonder why they left those 3 out there...
It's massively down from last year. The One and PS4 seem to have had a big effect on last gen. Even with the high price points.

Are these all the released sales for Xbone?

US: 909k (two weeks)
UK: 170k (two weeks)
Spain: ~28k (4 weeks)
France: ~50k (2 weeks)
Australia: 67k (? week)

Total: 1,224k

How MS reached 2 million sold in 18 days? The others 8 little countries (Germany is the only big enough in sales) sold over 500k together?
It took Sony two days to tally up their day-one sales in the US and Canada. MS tallied their day-one sales in those two countries, plus eleven others … before the day had even ended.

We should consider the possibility that MS are just "estimating" their claimed sell-through. :p

The One and Done™;94639966 said:
When someone goes to a store for a PS4 and there are none they are likely to get a One IMO.
In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points.
~Yusuf Mehdi

I really want to know what justified some of the policies MS tried to introduce with the xbox one.

Past performance? The first Xbox didn't sell well. The 360 wasn't even the best selling console of its generation.
Brand power? The 360 failed to sell that much more than the PS3 despite the latter being released a year later, and with a significant price tag attached.

Sony had their head up their asses with the $599 moment, but the PS2 sold like a fucking monster that previous generation. So to an extend, I guess you could see why they thought they could do what they did.

Why Microsoft decided it was in a position to be able to implement those policies is beyond me. The Xbox brand needed one more generation to grow into itself, and MS decide sacrifice it for an unrealistic idea of their position in the living room.
In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points.
~Yusuf Mehdi

Piggus

It took Sony two days to tally up their day-one sales in the US and Canada. MS tallied their day-one sales in those two countries, plus eleven others … before the day had even ended.

We should consider the possibility that MS are just "estimating" their claimed sell-through. :p

Considering how much horse shit Microsoft has tried to pull on people this year, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

But honestly would they do such a thing? At first I kept thinking their was no way they'd lie about that (or at least, mislead), but the more I think about it, it just doesn't add up. Maybe they did just release their estimates.

It's amazing how things can change going from one generation to the next. It makes me wonder just how strong the XBox brand really is and I know Sony pretty much owns Europe minus the UK but it makes me wonder just how different things would have been this past generation if Sony could've launched the PS3 at around the same time, even with the same hardware and higher price.

EDIT: Eh, yeah gone.

noobie

Banned

I also believe that MS is just trying to give out some estimates instead of actual verified sell through numbers.. and it is done in reaction to Sony more than showing their own achievement.

Zachi

Banned

Considering how much lying MS PRs have done, I think, that's their shipment number and they assume that all those units sold out, which they didn't.

It's amazing how things can change going from one generation to the next. It makes me wonder just how strong the XBox brand really is and I know Sony pretty much owns Europe minus the UK but it makes me wonder just how different things would have been this past generation if Sony could've launched the PS3 at around the same time, even with the same hardware and higher price.

The XBox brand has its demographics. I've definitely noticed that people who maybe got a 360 as their first console in their teens are definitely more in the XBox corner, with their friends there it doesn't really make sense to switch. That's anecdotal though. The US is their demographic. They never had Europe, they never had Asia.

That said, I used to have no issue with Microsoft, their game output definitely went to shit the past few years and their shift in focus made me get rid of the 360, but the XBox One was the first time I've ever wanted a console to fail and fail badly. Microsoft used up their good will with me and I wouldn't be surprised if others feel the same. They turned it around, but too little, too late. Others may feel the same, others may just see that a console is cheaper than the other.

viveks86

Half shilling but this music video has a few GIF worthy moments IMO, especially at the three minute mark.

It is half shill-ing. Not sure you should be posting that video here. It has nothing to do with the topic and you made me click it cuz I thought it might! :/

MercuryLS

Banned
Since the ps4 launched a week later in Spain that means that Xbox one sold a few thousand to ps4s zero during that one week timeframe. Extrapolating from that, I think Xbox One is going to sell twice the number of consoles vs the ps4 this gen.

viveks86

That article is awful. "Calls to several retailers" is hardly a basis to make an assumption like that.

This. The fact that they even had 1 xbox one left at a Microsoft store in New York on Christmas eve contradicts their conclusion that it is short on supply! The whole article seems cursory.

Skeff

The One and Done™;94747453 said:

Welp, I guess those few calls to shops and non-specific lines such as "none or just a few in stock" are more reliable than all of these photos of XB1's and all of the XB1's I keep seeing in stores.

XB1's are pretty easy to find in the UK right now, I could probably pick one up at a store with less than an hour looking,my local Tesco had at least 6 on Christmas eve(that's what was in the display case) whereas the PS4 is only really available with gigantic game bundles for extortionate prices and is sometimes available with a single game bundle online if you lucky. I've yet to see a PS4 at UK retail for less than £500, other than the midnight launch.

The XB1 has been available for home delivery for a week in the UK from argos.co.uk for the Solus bundle. Currently Supply > Demand even with Christmas boosts, January isn't going to be pretty for MS.

The One and Done™;94748299 said:
Well there's no doubt both are selling well. According to the Times, PS4s are pretty much sold out while there are Ones available. But that's not surprising considering the supply by Microsoft.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/24/t...tion-4-hard-to-find.html?ref=technology&_r=1&
And naturally I assume you're privy to internal shipping documents that show the PS4 has been shipping fewer units than the XBO...? If you have concrete numbers you should be sharing! That kind of insider information is what makes this place great!

Edit: I know there is absolutely no way you do, so stop spewing anecdotal evidence in a manner that makes you think we should treat you like Jesus as fact. Your anecdotal evidence is obviously superior to the entire rest of GAF and the internet, amirite?

dolemite

The argument in this thread appears to be along the lines: PS4's 2 million units sold is bigger than XBone's 2 million units sold.

Skeff

The argument in this thread appears to be along the lines: PS4's 2 million units sold is bigger than XBone's 2 million units sold.

I thought it was PS4's 2 million units was achieved nearly two weeks before XB1 and they carried on selling in those 12 days so it's silly to assume they were both at 2 million sold together isn't it?

EDIT: Also PS4 was >2.1million whereas the XB1 was >2 million so yes Sony's 2 million was bigger.

If Microsoft can win NA I think they'll consider that a victory. It's pretty clear that they want the "apple crowd," the people who buy a ton of services, games, etc. Microsoft is probably losing money on the console anyways. Half of what the Xbox One offers can't even be used in other parts of the world. If they can get a 30-50 million xbox live base who also use the One for music, tv, etc. I think Microsoft will be satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom