• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7 |OT| Did you not or did you not come for me today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrV4ltor

So what did you guys and gals think of the VMAs? as much as I love the queens getting that kind of mainstream exposure, I'm not sure how honest was Cyrus about genuinely liking them or if it was just part of her "shock value" shtick.
Miley watches the show and the she even attended the S7 finale, so I'm pretty sure she's actually into drag and the queens.

B-Dex

YAS Pearl.

37e42b466a0a2159d44b9763d6d7a97f.gif

Smash me

So what did you guys and gals think of the VMAs? as much as I love the queens getting that kind of mainstream exposure, I'm not sure how honest was Cyrus about genuinely liking them or if it was just part of her "shock value" shtick.

I didn't really watch the VMAs but (from what I've seen) I thought the queen's were fierce and that seems to be the general sentiment on Twitter and tumblr.
There is obviously a bit of shock value involved but...

I think Miley genuinely likes the queen's and genuinely likes drag.
I'm seeing so many Instagram vids of Miley interacting with queens and both parties seem to be having lots of fun; displays like that combined with her previous drag race appearances makes it kind of hard for me to think she's only doing it for shock value.

And if that was the ultimate goal...then it failed; Nicki, Bieber, Kanye, and Miley themself generated way more buzz than 30 background dancers/living props that happen to be drag queen's and are largely unknown to mainstream cis straight gender-typical America.
:/

mantidor

And if that was the ultimate goal...then it failed; Nicki, Bieber, Kanye, and Miley themself generated way more buzz than 30 background dancers/living props that happen to be drag queen's and are largely unknown to mainstream cis straight gender-typical America.
:/

This is actually something I kind of I fear, I mean, she was trashy :/ and not in a drag, "camp" way, it was actually bad, and the song sucks... I wonder how much the queens influenced or had input into the performance, being that we know already what they are capable of I would say that probably not very much, if at all.

Or maybe this is too meta for me and I'm not getting it :/

okno

We're really saying "YAS PEARL" to Pearl doing the same foot stomping, hand snarling "dance" thing she was doing back in season 7? The one that she got torn apart for for doing every time she had to dance? The one that made her look ridiculous during the filming of the music video?

She still can't dance? And that's still her signature move?

Boo-urns.

But yay drag queens on national TV.

zeopower6

Honestly... I dunno what to think of it. It's nice to see the queens out there in the 'mainstream' but I don't think this was the way anyone wanted it to happen. Miley definitely likes drag and drag queens. BUT that song and performance was a whole lot of huh.

And why was Carmen there? lol

Gradon

Wait what? Carmen? I thought she wanted to distance herself from drag. She was also one of the girls to complain post show about she-Mail being transphobic so I am actually surprised she's still performing drag queen stuff.

mantidor

The queens killed it and salvaged what was a mediocre show anyway so props to them. That ridiculous attempt of Cyrus to kiss our regnant queen was all kind of cringe worthy but Violet handled it extremely well.

Wait what? Carmen? I thought she wanted to distance herself from drag. She was also one of the girls to complain post show about she-Mail being transphobic so I am actually surprised she's still performing drag queen stuff.

I don't ever remember her indicating that she wanted to distance herself from drag, drag queens, or even RPDR (though I can understand why some trans women would want to do that in our current climate); I still see her performing and hanging out with the queens in pictures on a somewhat regular basis. Heck, I see her hanging out with the other Heathers pretty often.
She was just very critical of the liberal use of microaggresive transgender puns on a national LGBT-centric television show, that's all.
It's important to remember that we can criticize problematic aspects of something while still liking/loving it.

This is actually something I kind of I fear, I mean, she was trashy :/ and not in a drag, "camp" way, it was actually bad, and the song sucks... I wonder how much the queens influenced or had input into the performance, being that we know already what they are capable of I would say that probably not very much, if at all.

Or maybe this is too meta for me and I'm not getting it :/

As far as remember, people didn't really seem to talk about the queens all that much on social media.
Miley themself, Nicki's call out, Justin's breakdown, and Kanye's talk/announcement completely overshadowed the queens.
Most of the post I saw though were pretty positive and praised them for their performance.
There were a few "but why did my favorite queens have to perform with Miley?! D:" post, but that's as negative as it got outside of some fringe bigotry and a few angry ignorant tumblr users ranting about how much they hate cis drag queens and drag in general.
:p

I don't think there is much to worry about.

zeopower6

She doesn't really ever mention the show when people talk about how she got her start or how anyone might recognize her. It's because of her "acting" or "modeling" that she's known according to her.

She along with Willam were "banned" from the RPDR tour for being notoriously difficult to work with.

She doesn't really ever mention the show when people talk about how she got her start or how anyone might recognize her. It's because of her "acting" or "modeling" that she's known according to her.

She along with Willam were "banned" from the RPDR tour for being notoriously difficult to work with.

If that's the case, I can kind of understand why she might do that.
There are still a lot of negative effemiphobic/femmephobic, homophobic, and transphobic feelings about drag and drag queens in the larger non-LGBT world; this obviously makes it very hard for queens (and kings) to break into the mainstream without being beautiful props, stereotypical underdeveloped throwaway GBT extras, or nameless colorful background dancers.
I imagine she feels that mentioning drag as a kickstarter to her career wouldn't really be all that appealing to the mainstream.
Plus, she's a transwoman...it's more than likely she doesn't want to be seen as an effeminate crossdressing queer guy (which btw, is a beautiful thing to be if you happen to actually be a cis or trans man/boy <3 ) in the non-LGBT world.

But again, I have frequently seen her hanging around the drag scene and performing/socializing with both obscure queens and drag race girls.

There were numerous other trans women in the show (including Miss Monica Beverly Hillz) so it wasn't really just drag focused. Carmen still has rapport with most Drag Race queens, I think the only bad blood if anything is between her and Ru's team, but they've probably made amends by now.

As for the criticisms of the performance that I'm reading... I think we're over-analyzing. The song/performance wasn't any more low-brow than what queens would typically perform on stage. Plus, I thought the first half was kind of elegant, the second half was a hysterical mess and I loved the unrehearsed aspect of it. Also, they all brought it and looked like they were having fun. If there wasn't much buzz about the moment it's probably because drag isn't really that shocking anymore. Drag Race has really elevated the drag scene to the point where even folks who are completely removed from that culture can look at it and not be horrified/shocked.

Good on Miley for bringing them all out, letting them showcase their talents (YAS @ that death drop), and having it be cohesive with the performance/song, and not feeling shoe-horned. Total epic moment for me.

okno said:
We're really saying "YAS PEARL" to Pearl doing the same foot stomping, hand snarling "dance" thing she was doing back in season 7? The one that she got torn apart for for doing every time she had to dance? The one that made her look ridiculous during the filming of the music video?

She still can't dance? And that's still her signature move?

Boo-urns.

But yay drag queens on national TV.

Her performance is authentically her own and I appreciate her not being thrown by the criticism. Just do you, Pearly.

mantidor

As far as remember, people didn't really seem to talk about the queens all that much on social media.
Miley themself, Nicki's call out, Justin's breakdown, and Kanye's talk/announcement completely overshadowed the queens.

That is kind of my point, performance wise only the queens are getting any feedback, even if it comes mostly from Drag Race fans that know them already. The final VMA presentation used to be a big deal, remember when those performances were actually in everyone's mouth? like Madonna's? hell even Marilyn Manson. Ok, if you are younger than 25 you probably don't :p, my point is that now no one cares, they only care about hollow gossip and hashtags and call outs, when it used to be about the show itself, so performance-wise they did save the show for me.

That is kind of my point, performance wise only the queens are getting any feedback, even if it comes mostly from Drag Race fans that know them already. The final VMA presentation used to be a big deal, remember when those performances were actually in everyone's mouth? like Madonna's? hell even Marilyn Manson. Ok, if you are younger than 25 you probably don't :p, my point is that now no one cares, they only care about hollow gossip and hashtags and call outs, when it used to be about the show itself, so performance-wise they did save the show for me.

Yeah, though that's more of a statement on the pop culture landscape right now and not so much on Miley or the performance itself. The most talked about moments were the Nicki/Miley shade and the Kanye/Taylor moment. Sad

Saya

Over the last few weeks I've been catching up on this show. How have I not watched this before? It's so much fun and hilarious.

So far Season 6 has been my favorite. Adore & Del Rio <3.

Almost finished with season 7 now. It's good but not season 6 good (yet).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I really dont remember anything or anyone from S7 tbh. I guess Katya and Pearl (cause I wanted to bang Pearl out of drag)

mantidor

We also didn't get that many catchphrases. I can only think of "come through!!!" and that's it.

Oh and "I need an adult", that one is funny :p

I was just rewatching season 3 and noticed a few later queens in the casting tapes section of the preview episode - Katya, Kasha Davis a few others.

zeopower6

IMO S3 and S4 were the highs for this show. 6 was ok but Bianca was uncontested.

S7 is probably near the bottom for me. Too many group challenges.

Lots of memorable moments but they were definitely not Gia or Laganja level. S6 is unparalleled in catchphrase creation.

The crystallized glamazon explanation is legendary and I love Kandy Ho's only memorable line of the season. Mother does not play.... that!

NOW will you girls accept that season 7 and all its queens were just awful?

I don't know how anyone can make a blanket statement like this. Two big points were made during that season: 1) that young queens can learn to beat a mug and sew, but if you don't have the personality or performance talent then you're just a lackluster queen, and 2) team challenges don't let the queens showcase their true talents. Who knew Kandy Ho was an amazing dancer? Her shows are fucking AMAZING. No one knew. Otherwise, we got some iconic queens and as we hoped, the runways were insane. Wasn't that the biggest complaint from S6?

The biggest disappointment of season 7 is that Katya didn't get to be final 3, but she'll get her glory in AS2.

One thing about the next season I'm looking forward too is the inclusion (I assume) of songs from Realness - I think Color My Love and Step It Up are genuinely awesome songs and the early 90s influence is pretty now. Color My Love is so Baby D, the UK 90s dance influence is really strong.

Probably showing my age that the influences on Realness are what I was listening to when I first wenting clubbing!

NOW will you girls accept that season 7 and all its queens were just awful?

Nope.
The season definitely had it's problems (challenge balance immediately comes to mind) , but I loved a lot of the queen's and would never describe girls like Violet, Max, or Katya as awful.

okno

I'm all for autre things and all that, but I just do not understand the love for Max. She has an interesting asthetic, but I could never imagine her in top 3.

Then again, I didn't hate Ginger Minj nearly as much as everyone else, so.

B-Dex

I'm all for autre things and all that, but I just do not understand the love for Max. She has an interacting asthetic, but I could never imagine her in top 3.

I'm over max. She is literally an emo one trick pony. Who got dumped.

No. sorry next.

Monocle

I'm all for autre things and all that, but I just do not understand the love for Max. She has an interesting asthetic, but I could never imagine her in top 3.

She looks cool.

mantidor

I've realized that Max really catches your eye when she is in the "ensemble" of the show, but by herself she gets dull. I never pictured her in the top 3 either but at least I was expecting top 5 and a less shady edit.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Whilst I enjoy the fact that Wow posts more youtube videos of our queens, some of the stuff is really spectacularly shit
I'm actually annoyed that I watched it all

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
oh really?
just thought she had issues walking and needed some help haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom