• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man I hope so. I haven't been so invested in a pairing in a long, long time. If by some miracle it works out I'll probably lose it. God, this song is so goddamn good. Upbeat, carefree, pure. Good job to peeps on this one, they KILLED IT!

Yeah, I'm admittedly quite invested in the pairing myself. I feel like Volume 5 is probably going to focus on Yang and Blake's reunion and probably show Blake having to earn Yang's trust back after abandoning her at the end of Volume 3, at least as far as Bumbleby goes. I think we're more likely to see them fully hook up in Volume 6 at some point, but it's hard to say for sure.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm admittedly quite invested in the pairing myself. I feel like Volume 5 is probably going to focus on Yang and Blake's reunion and probably show Blake having to earn Yang's trust back after abandoning her at the end of Volume 3, at least as far as Bumbleby goes. I think we're more likely to see them fully hook up in Volume 6 at some point, but it's hard to say for sure.

Let's hope it turns out like this. Fingers crossed!

naeS

Excite.
45wuqdz2388z.jpg

SDBurton

So I've been listening to Bmblb on repeat for the last couple days. God this song is SO GOOD. Bring on October, I have my new avatar ready and waiting.

Latest episode of RWBY Chibi shows no intention of slowing down on the speculation:

SDBurton

So I've been watching the RWBY RTX panels on youtube and the guys are dropping some pretty obvious hints that there's going to be a RWBY related announcement at EVO. I remember awhile back that Daisuke of Arc System Works mentioned that he would love to make a RWBY fighting game, could that dream be a possible reality now? :O

Squire

Banned
So I've been watching the RWBY RTX panels on youtube and the guys are dropping some pretty obvious hints that there's going to be a RWBY related announcement at EVO. I remember awhile back that Daisuke of Arc System Works mentioned that he would love to make a RWBY fighting game, could that dream be a possible reality now? :O

Someone that went just mentioned this to me over Twitter the other day. Sounds like it really could be happening.

TrueBlue

I would have thought ASW would have been busy with DBFZ. I'm not overly familiar with them though, maybe they're large enough to do both?

SDBurton

Someone that went just mentioned this to me over Twitter the other day. Sounds like it really could be happening.

If true I wonder what style they're going to go with. In this case I can definitely see something more akin to BlazBlue, but man, if RWBY got the Guilty Gear treatment... I'd lose my shit. I'm going to lose my shit either way, but doubly so if it's the latter.

I would have thought ASW would have been busy with DBFZ. I'm not overly familiar with them though, maybe they're large enough to do both?

They may have been working on this for quite some time and just kept it under the radar, which if true, good job on keeping something like this close to the chest.

Squire

Banned
If true I wonder what style they're going to go with. In this case I can definitely see something more akin to BlazBlue, but man, if RWBY got the Guilty Gear treatment... I'd lose my shit. I'm going to lose my shit either way, but doubly so if it's the latter.

They may have been working on this for quite some time and just kept it under the radar, which if true, good job on keeping something like this close to the chest.

Yeah, I wonder. Even if they went with sprites though, it's not like that would be an easy task in itself.

I figure this would be a smaller scale project even by ASW standards that RT would publish digitally. Makes a lot of sense when you consider they did start that publishing banner.

DBZ is out in the spring if next year. If they just now announce RWBY that could come out next fall. If they time it to release close to Volume 6 that'd be pretty savvy.

Pleased to hear about this, even if I would have preferred a full RWBY fighter. Maybe that's something they're angling toward, like how Netherrealm did Mortal Kombat vs DC before Injustice.

They've also been teasing on Twitter that the RTX Weiss teaser will be released tomorrow.

Kalentan

Decided to watch Volume 4.

Loved it.

I want to watch Volume 5 as it airs but then I feel like the episodes can sometimes go so quickly that waiting weekly might be a bit much. :(

Kyuur

Took me a bit to realize she was being such a scrub because this was a flashback. I'm digging her new look at the end there!

Spuck-uk

Banned

They have several working teams at any given time. This is almost certainly beaing built by the Blazblue team AKA Team Blue.

Finaj

I enjoyed that. I feel the fight choreography has got a bit better since the previous volume.

The fight choreography from Volume 4 was weird. Most of it wasn't that great, but the Tyrion vs Qrow fight was leagues above everything else for some reason.

TrueBlue

The fight choreography from Volume 4 was weird. Most of it wasn't that great, but the Tyrion vs Qrow fight was leagues above everything else for some reason.

Yeah, I think that sums it up quite nicely.

That sequence of Weiss seamlessly beating on that large group of summons was nice - a good blend of her swordplay, dust abilities and her glyphs.

Also I forgot, good to see Winter again.

Kalentan

Might be in the minority but I'm sort of liking RNJR better than RWBY.

Something about it just seems far more interesting to watch than team RWBY.

Kyuur

Can't really say I agree with choreography praise in here; nothing really stood out for me except maybe the fire sword moment. The "sidescroller" bits were especially bleh. Season 4 fights were all better than this.

Kalentan

You know now that I'm caught up and been looking at discussions online...

I fear Rooster Teeth is falling into the same trap other shows do.

Taking character shipping in the community. Like apparently Ruby and Jaune were supposed to hug at the ending of Vol 4 but they cut it because they didn't want to "worry fans".

That to be sounds like they're making choices based off of the shipping community which is horrible because then the story becomes less: "What do the writers think?" and more "What do the community think?"

Cause stuff like that leads to shit like Korrasami where it's done super poorly and unsatisfying. Something that you could tell wasn't the original plan but then forced it in.

SDBurton

I feel like Ruby and Jaune will end up together at the endgame. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Yang and Blake though? Bumblebee? I think they're slow building towards it so if does happen
(it better)
it won't feel like it came out of left field.

Kalentan

I feel like Ruby and Jaune will end up together at the endgame. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Yang and Blake though? Bumblebee? I think they're slow building towards it so if does happen
(it better)

Well it's not like I don't see some ships happening I'm just worried about ones happening that weren't planned and done just to appease a fanbase.

Something like Yang and Blake is fine because it seems like they were building up to it. Though this latest season did make it seem a bit less so but I imagine that's just because team RWBY is split.

I definitely feel like that new short has improved choreography compared to the last volume. I'm not a big fan of the side-shot but I can appreciate that it's an attempt at adding some artistic flair. Same with the ballarina-esque style Weiss showcases at parts. It makes me feel like whomever it was that made that fight was really trying to do something creative and interesting rather than flash for the sake of flash, which is how I felt a lot of Vol 4s came across.

SDBurton

Something like Yang and Blake is fine because it seems like they were building up to it. Though this latest season did make it seem a bit less so but I imagine that's just b cause team RWBY is split.

I would say the split and Sun (especially) definitely put a halt to any progress being made last season. I'm hoping that doesn't continue this October. Go away Sun haha.

As mentioned by others the choreography seems to have improved dramatically. Here's hoping it's consistent throughout this coming season. Visuals seemed to have improved quite a bit as well.

Is it just the choreography or also the quality of the animation?
The monsters have far more character and life to their movements than before. Seems like maybe they stopped trying to mimic Monty's style and went for something else.

Monty's fights are crazy action packed and makes up for animation short comings or short cuts which a living, non-stop, breathing cam that sticks out as his style. Here you can see that the cam is much much more chill and more like what you would see in an average animated fight scene. As a result they have to polish up the animation and what not imo. make it clearer whats happening because you can't rely on the cam to cover your buttz.

Kyuur

(it better)

Wut to both of those, if either happened at this point I would be left fielded.

Finaj

If Bmblb is happening, I'd prefer it to slowly build up as opposed to occurring too quickly like in Legend of Korra.

Off-topic: That reminds me. The Korra graphic novel should be out soon, so we'll get to finally see where their relationship goes.

OT: I just can't see Blake and Sun being a thing. He's so... annoying.

SDBurton

Wut to both of those, if either happened at this point I would be left fielded.

Haha lemme see if I can find something. I forgot which video I enjoyed, I believe it was either this one or this one but both do an analysis of what they have done so far that could be seen as building blocks for the pairing. There were things that even I missed and watching this I was like "ooooh shit!" lol

Sun was alright when he was first introduced (when his cockiness was more rooted in his skill and general force of personality) but now that he's basically an idiot... yeah, not seeing it.

I never really got the Blake/Yang vibe either tho. Dunno.

Haha lemme see if I can find something. I forgot which video I enjoyed, I believe it was either this one or this one but both do an analysis of what they have done so far that could be seen as building blocks for the pairing. There were things that even I missed and watching this I was like "ooooh shit!" lol

I.. couldn't make it through either one of the videos. Since I couldn't, I can't fairly judge the theories.

What I did want to say though, is that the moment a theory relies heavily on the reading of otherwise platonic seeming actions as evidence of romantic undercurrent... it hurts it more than helps in my eyes.

I don't have a horse in any of the shipping debate personally. But I tried to watch the vids because I didn't really see where the theory came from in my own viewings of the show, so I was wondering what I missed. And it appears that what I missed was a bunch of stuff that could just as easily be signs of a close platonic friendship as it could be of a romantic one.

Whatever direction they go with any of the romantic relationships in RWBY, I hope that the writers progress them clearly and logically, rather than fence riding with generic friendliness then going with a last minute paradigm shift.

Kthulhu

Sun was alright when he was first introduced (when his cockiness was more rooted in his skill and general force of personality) but now that he's basically an idiot... yeah, not seeing it.

I never really got the Blake/Yang vibe either tho. Dunno.

Sun might go through some serious character development, who knows?

Shipping usually doesn't make sense. Especially for this show.

I.. couldn't make it through either one of the videos. Since I couldn't, I can't fairly judge the theories.

What I did want to say though, is that the moment a theory relies heavily on the reading of otherwise platonic seeming actions as evidence of romantic undercurrent... it hurts it more than helps in my eyes.

I don't have a horse in any of the shipping debate personally. But I tried to watch the vids because I didn't really see where the theory came from in my own viewings of the show, so I was wondering what I missed. And it appears that what I missed was a bunch of stuff that could just as easily be signs of a close platonic friendship as it could be of a romantic one.

Whatever direction they go with any of the romantic relationships in RWBY, I hope that the writers progress them clearly and logically, rather than fence riding with generic friendliness then going with a last minute paradigm shift.

The buildup issue is itself somewhat iffy. Arkos had buildup from their first meeting that really only came to fruition right before the end. In retrospect, it was pretty obvious from the start, but could have been passed off as friendship if only a few events changes. At best, the true romantic stuff really only appeared in a few episodes.

If they wanted to do bumblebee, I think they would only need to spend a few episodes/scenes on it, because doing such would allow the viewers to re frame all those previous moments as romantic buildup. Not that viewers aren't already doing that.

Also, I have no house in the race here (though, long live Arkos's memory), but man do I love the fandom nicknames for pairings. Arctic ocean, ladybug, Lancaster, bumblebee, white rose, north pole, communism, etc. They are all so catchy.

TrueBlue

While I am supportive of Bumblebee happening, I agree that there haven't been any explicitly romantic moments between the two as of yet.

I can't imagine there being any in the next volume or two either. Yang is probably still holding some anger towards Blake for taking off, while Blake is still clearly racked with guilt over the whole thing.

So yeah, slow burn if it ever happens. I also second the notion that it has to be done properly - though that goes for any romance. Don't force it or rush it. I feel that's why Arkos worked as well as it did, even if it mainly served to add another layer of tragedy to Pyrrha's death.

Slater

Banned
In terms or writing romance and proper buildup, Miles did mention he wasn't really satisfied with how Arkos ended up written and wanted to improve on that.

And I think most would agree V4 built up Ren and Nora much better overall, so I imagine that will continue

TrueBlue

In terms or writing romance and proper buildup, Miles did mention he wasn't really satisfied with how Arkos ended up written and wanted to improve on that.

And I think most would agree V4 built up Ren and Nora much better overall, so I imagine that will continue

I agree with him that it could have been done better, but I dunno. I thought it was alright, and the resolution felt somewhat earned and not completely out of left field. That being said it's been a while since I've watcged V1 - 3, so it might not hold up as well on rewatch.

Amd yes, Ren/Nora was one of the V4 highlights, absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom