• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special |OT| (Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thanks for the thread and the reminder. I'll be honest I haven't watched SNL very much in the past 3 or 4 seasons. It's turned to unfunny un-watchable crap for me lately. It's rare that it ever gets a laugh out of me.

I will DVR this for sure. Can't pass up all these greats. Hope the writing holds up.

Cheebo

Banned
Pretty high I'd say:
Fallon, Ferrell, McDonald all on the cast list, Darrell Hammond is the regular announcer for SNL so he'll be around.
And it's one of the most popular sketches. There is no way they aren't going to do it.

The only one we know for certain is Eddie Murphy is doing a new buckwheat, Fred Armisen mentioned that in a interview.

Derpyduck

Banned
I am pretty surprised that they asked Chevy Chase to appear.

http://snl.wikia.com/wiki/Chevy_Chase

Chase returned eight times over the years to host the show, but was notorious for his highly verbally abusive treatment of the cast and crew over the years. In 1985, for example, he suggested a sketch where openly gay cast member Terry Sweeney had AIDS, and the sketch showed viewers how much weight he lost every week.

When Chase returned to host the February 15, 1997 episode, his behavior caused him to be the 12th person banned from the show. During dress rehearsal, after a week of dishing out abuse to several cast members, he slapped Cheri Oteri in the back of the head. While he swore it was meant as a joke, a furious Will Ferrell complained to Lorne Michaels, who decided that it was the final straw.

He was on as recently as Justin Timberlakes most recent hosting gig. Maybe he was just banned from hosting.

Dishwalla

Banned
Been watching the VH1 Classic marathon off and on over the past few weeks, I forgot what a solid lineup the late 80's to mid 90's shows had, just so many great moments.

Of course a lot of the other people are awesome but I'm in it for Eddie Murphy most of all

Too bad Tracy Morgan couldn't do it, would have killed for another brian fellows skit

Cheebo

Banned
Of course a lot of the other people are awesome but I'm in it for Eddie Murphy most of all

Too bad Tracy Morgan couldn't do it, would have killed for another brian fellows skit
The wreck gave him brain damage. We may never seem him publicly ever again sadly.

Can't believe they're bringing Norm back!! SNL has gone nothing but downhill since Norm got fired. Glad they are finally coming to terms with their past mistakes.

Cheebo

Banned
OMG seriously?!?! I didn't know it was that bad :(

The actor and comedian suffered brain injuries during a car crash back in June, which injured two other passengers and killed comedian James “Jimmy Mack” McNair. According to Morgan’s lawyer, Benedict Morelli, the 30 Rock star has been undergoing extensive physical and mental rehabilitation to improve his speech and cognitive capabilities, but it’s unclear whether he’ll ever act or perform stand-up again.
http://www.avclub.com/article/tracy-morgan-may-never-perform-again-209938

Wow I really never thought I'd be excited to watch SNL again. There's no way this will be anything but great with all the talent listed.

Stoked for a weekend update with Norm

NimbusD

I am pretty surprised that they asked Chevy Chase to appear.

http://snl.wikia.com/wiki/Chevy_Chase

Chase returned eight times over the years to host the show, but was notorious for his highly verbally abusive treatment of the cast and crew over the years. In 1985, for example, he suggested a sketch where openly gay cast member Terry Sweeney had AIDS, and the sketch showed viewers how much weight he lost every week.

When Chase returned to host the February 15, 1997 episode, his behavior caused him to be the 12th person banned from the show. During dress rehearsal, after a week of dishing out abuse to several cast members, he slapped Cheri Oteri in the back of the head. While he swore it was meant as a joke, a furious Will Ferrell complained to Lorne Michaels, who decided that it was the final straw.

I believe Lorne said anyone who was on the show longer than 1 season was invited as long as they could make it.

I'm pretty fucking excited, long time SNL fan. Fully expecting people to trash this no matter what happens.

Appleman

Gotta say I'm crazy pumped for this whole thing. Has an Oscar night type feel to it and there's no way it's not going to be an absolute ton of fun

Quasi-relevant, and since I'm too lazy to make a new thread I'll just put it here, but Rolling Stone ranked all 141 SNL cast members. My time watching SNL was mostly in the 90s, I haven't watched it at all recently, but Norm McDonald at 135 is just a tragedy. Norm as Burt Reynolds alone should shoot him up much higher than that.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/saturday-night-live-all-141-cast-members-ranked-20150211

Yeah, what a goddamn joke having Norm that low. Especially under no names like Brooks Wheelan.

ElTopo

Banned
NBC added another host today for the episode, Louis C.K.

giphy.gif

border

Amazing cast and hosts, underwhelming musical acts.

Yeah, who likes The Beatles anyway?

I can't really think of many musical acts that people really associate with SNL. At least aside from "controversial" performances like Sinead O'Connor (is she still banned?) and Lana Del Ray.

This is either going to be amazing or horrible. There are going to be skits with like 3 or 4 old cast members and 3 or 4 celebrities...and it makes me wonder if they all were there for rehearsals throughout the week. Because if they weren't then there is a good chance there are going to be some bad deliveries!

Still excited for it though, especially if Norm gets to host the news.

Toothless

I'm honestly excited just to see Jack Nicholson come out of retirement for this. I'll definitely watch it just for that, in addition to the insanely good cast.

Ninhead

Yeah there was no chance Dennis Miller would ever come back. Lorne Michaels banned for life after he went full on Fox News, a lot more serious of a ban than the semi-one that Chase or Macdonald had.

Victoria Jackson, Dennis Miller, and Damon Wayans are the 3 who are banned for life no matter what regardless of big anniversary specials.

Miller was invited back, but declined it. Said he didn't have any ill-will, but that it felt like "the freshman in college who shows up at his former high school to reclaim past glory". He talked about it on his new podcast with Adam Carolla.

Cheebo

Banned
NBC decided they didn't have enough guests. One more host got added, Sarah Silverman. And two more musical guests. NSYNC and Backstreet Boys (yes, I am serious).

I really hope they're gonna bring back a lot of the early '90's writing staff like Odenkirk, O'Brien, Franken, Smigel, Handy, etc.

Sanjuro

I believe Lorne said anyone who was on the show longer than 1 season was invited as long as they could make it.

I'm pretty fucking excited, long time SNL fan. Fully expecting people to trash this no matter what happens.

Why is Billy Crystal there then!?

Sanjuro

Martin Short as well.

That one season with Billy Crystal, Martin Short, and Christopher Guest is my favorite other than the original 5 year run.

Also, J.B. Smoove. Who was neither a host or technically a cast member.

They are just going to let anyone in!

Cheebo

Banned
Franken despite being a senator still apparently wrote sketches here and there and sends them to Seth Meyers who was head writer at the time. No idea if he still does that though.

Sanjuro

Valentines special on right now to a good start.

The bad? I fear tomorrow I'm going to go e 20% of my tv taken up by cancellations. It's fucking 2015, why do we need news tickers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom