• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special |OT| (Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not getting the episode tonight is some bullshit. It's not just about the name of the show, it's about that special feeling of watching late night television knowing you can sleep in the next day.

Bitching aside, I am hyped for the special tomorrow. That list of names is ridiculous.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Quasi-relevant, and since I'm too lazy to make a new thread I'll just put it here, but Rolling Stone ranked all 141 SNL cast members. My time watching SNL was mostly in the 90s, I haven't watched it at all recently, but Norm McDonald at 135 is just a tragedy. Norm as Burt Reynolds alone should shoot him up much higher than that.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/saturday-night-live-all-141-cast-members-ranked-20150211

What a horrid list. Having Maya Rudolph anywhere near the top of that list is a colossal joke.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I just looked to see what they did for the 30th anniversary because I couldn't remember. Nothing – a special was planned but didn't happen due to budget cuts, apparently.

I wonder what they might do for the 50th anniversary to top this, because this seems pretty damn extravagant. I still have no idea what they're actually going to do for 3.5 hours (4.5 if you include the pre-show, holy hell), but I'm excited.

Blader

Not getting the episode tonight is some bullshit. It's not just about the name of the show, it's about that special feeling of watching late night television knowing you can sleep in the next day.

Bitching aside, I am hyped for the special tomorrow. That list of names is ridiculous.

Well, if you get Monday off for President's Day...

Sanjuro

I just looked to see what they did for the 30th anniversary because I couldn't remember. Nothing – a special was planned but didn't happen due to budget cuts, apparently.

I wonder what they might do for the 50th anniversary to top this, because this seems pretty damn extravagant. I still have no idea what they're actually going to do for 3.5 hours (4.5 if you include the pre-show, holy hell), but I'm excited.

Might as well get them in while still breathing.

tbh, nothing in this episode is any funnier than current day SNL

The dark humor of O'Donoghue is fantastic.

Cheebo

Banned
It always seems weird to me that the Muppets were created for Saturday Night Live.
They weren't. Sesame Street Muppets had been around for 6 years prior to SNL for example. The first pilot for the actual "The Muppet Show" was in 1974 prior to SNL as well.

Not to mention characters such as Kermit the Frog, Rowlf the Dog and so on originated in the 1950's. Jim Henson began the Muppets back in the mid-1950's. Frank Oz came on board the Muppets in the early 1960's.

Was going to start a new thread but I'll just put it here. 70's SNL was soooo unfunny. Good lord this is so hard to watch. It's on NBC now. And know that I grew up on this shit being born in '70. Ugh!

Was going to start a new thread but I'll just put it here. 70's SNL was soooo unfunny. Good lord this is so hard to watch. It's on NBC now. And know that I grew up on this shit being born in '70. Ugh!
The first season was rough. The show didn't get into the groove until a bit later.

I love 70s SNL. It has its rough moments, but that time capsule feeling of seeing musicians and young comedians up there on the stage is enough entertainment for me, honestly. And Chevy Chase doing pratfalls and on Weekend Update was ALWAYS funny.

EulaCapra

I thought it was a joke, but The Today Show has an updated list of who'll be in the special. Not including current cast members, there will be over 95 guests in some capacity or another LAWD HAVE MERCY

50 Cent
Adam Sandler
Aidy Bryant
Alec Baldwin
Amy Poehler
Andy Samberg
Arcade Fire
Backstreet Boys
Beck Bennett
Betty White
Bill Hader
Bill Murray
Billy Crystal
Bobby Moynihan
Bradley Cooper
Candice Bergen
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Cecily Strong
Charlie Day
Cheri Oteri
Chevy Chase
Chris Kattan
Chris Parnell
Chris Rock
Christopher Walken
Colin Jost
Colin Quinn
Dakota Johnson
Dan Aykroyd
Dana Carvey
Darrell Hammond
David Spade
Deborah Harry
Derek Jeter
Eddie Murphy
Edward Norton
Ellen Cleghorne
Elliott Gould
Elvis Costello
Emma Stone
Fiona Apple
Fred Armisen
Garrett Morris
George Lucas
Gilbert Gottfried
Glenn Close
Governor Sarah Palin
Horatio Sanz
J.K. Simmons
Jack Nicholson
Jack White
James Franco
Jane Curtin
Jason Sudeikis
Jay Pharaoh
Jerry Seinfeld
Jim Carrey
Jimmy Fallon
Joe Piscopo
John Goodman
Johnny Knoxville
Jon Bon Jovi
Jon Lovitz
Julia Sweeney
Justin Timberlake
Kanye West
Kate McKinnon
Keith Richards
Kenan Thompson
Kerry Washington
Kevin Nealon
Kristen Wiig
Kyle Mooney
Laraine Newman
Larry David
Leslie Jones
Louis C.K.
Ludacris
Martin Short
Maya Rudolph
Mayor Rudy Giuliani
Melissa McCarthy
Michael Che
Michael Douglas
Mike Myers
Miley Cyrus
Molly Shannon
Norm Macdonald
Paul McCartney
Paul Rudd
Paul Simon
Pete Davidson
Peyton Manning
Rachel Dratch
Rob Schneider
Robert De Niro
Sarah Silverman
Sasheer Zamata
Sean Hayes
Senator Al Franken
Seth Meyers
Sigourney Weaver
Steve Martin
Steven Spielberg
Taran Killam
Taylor Swift
Tim Meadows
Tina Fey
Tom Hanks
Vanessa Bayer
Victoria Jackson
Will Ferrell
Will Forte
Zach Galifianakis

Ban Puncher

I am pretty surprised that they asked Chevy Chase to appear.

http://snl.wikia.com/wiki/Chevy_Chase

Chase returned eight times over the years to host the show, but was notorious for his highly verbally abusive treatment of the cast and crew over the years. In 1985, for example, he suggested a sketch where openly gay cast member Terry Sweeney had AIDS, and the sketch showed viewers how much weight he lost every week.

When Chase returned to host the February 15, 1997 episode, his behavior caused him to be the 12th person banned from the show. During dress rehearsal, after a week of dishing out abuse to several cast members, he slapped Cheri Oteri in the back of the head. While he swore it was meant as a joke, a furious Will Ferrell complained to Lorne Michaels, who decided that it was the final straw.

MEDIUM TALENT

kirblar

I think they're doing it now because of how old many of them are getting.

Prompto

Banned
That updated list is insane. I'm guessing a lot of them will only be hanging out backstage or appear on camera really quick without any speaking lines.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
No you're not, you're watching Season 1, Episode 1. Sunday night was supposed to be the SNL special, which WHDH preempted for blizzard coverage.
Are you from the future? I mean, the TV listings haven't changed, whereas they did for this morning (e.g. no Meet the Press on NBC). And there is absolutely no way something as significant as this special would be preempted, even if the storm was ongoing (and right now, it's basically over).

I haven't looked at the list of guests. I want to be surprised. SNL media blackout!

Sanjuro

Are you from the future? I mean, the TV listings haven't changed, whereas they did for this morning (e.g. no Meet the Press on NBC). And there is absolutely no way something as significant as this special would be preempted, even if the storm was ongoing (and right now, it's basically over).

I haven't looked at the list of guests. I want to be surprised. SNL media blackout!

I believe he thought the special was last night.

My only fear is NBC 7's fucking news ticker.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Updated guest list is bonkers. NBC is going balls to the wall to try and resurrect the SNL brand.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Resurrect? It still does great. It's as relevant as always.

“Saturday Night Live” has a ratings problem. The recent episode hosted by the former cast member Bill Hader had the fewest viewers within the industry-cherished eighteen-to-forty-nine demographic in the show’s forty-year history, tying an episode from last May. The two previous episodes of the new season performed only slightly better. Even accounting for the loss of live viewership to the Web, these are low figures, and part of a downward trend.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/nine-lives-saturday-night-live

Sanjuro

VH1 has specials all day.

SNL in the 80s is starting right now. Probably the most interesting period in the franchise history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom